New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

"Marshall, is there any reason you can think of why Vencarlo wouldn't already have spoken up? The day of the King's death is known, surely he remembers if Miss Sabor was visiting his school at the time she's being accused of murdering His Majesty?" Cassian asks.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ettin in the Playground

'A justice banquet? How pleasant.' Andrei comments sarcastically. 'I suppose if we want to push our luck I can see just how many guards I can put to sleep before someone takes offence.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Marshall, is there any reason you can think of why Vencarlo wouldn't already have spoken up? The day of the King's death is known, surely he remembers if Miss Sabor was visiting his school at the time she's being accused of murdering His Majesty?" Cassian asks.
    The Captain looks at Cassian, "Fear I would expect. Fear that he may accidentally fall off a tower or cut his head off whilse shaving will have stayed his tongue." She smiles a little at the 4 of you, "Not all people have your sense of bravery." As sh waves over your shoulder at another patrol heading towards the city centre to maintain order around the grand Square she asks, "Do you want the uniforms? Though if you wear please do not kill any of the Palace Guards, we do not need civil war between Palace and City Guards to add to my beloved Korvosa's woes."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"It might be the best way in," Ciraneoth said to the others, "guards are often considered part of the furniture by those in power, so we can move around without too much problems. And don't worry, I don't want to kill anybody if I can help it. I will, however, defend myself if needed."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Troll in the Playground

As you wish, I don't however expect this to be solved without some blood being shed.

I suggest we ask for Vencarlo himself rather than her Majesty as that will be an easier in.

However who does have the authority to stop the execution?

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I cannot think of anything else to do inside the castle than to seek out Vencarlo and try to convince him to speak out on Miss Sabor's behalf. Perhaps help him leave the castle on some pretense if he feels he's being pressured to be there. Even dressed as members of the City Guard we will hardly have the authority to take custody of Miss Sabor or in any way interfere with the course of the trial," Cassian says.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

At Winifred's question the marshall shakes her head. "At this point in time I suspect only the Queen herself and she seems to be fixed on the execution to slake the masses". The marshall offers you good luck finding Vencarlo as you hurry off to get changed. Then, shortly later, in some smart blue jackets of the Korvosan City Guard you are all able to head out of the barracks by the shore and start hurrying through the throng towards the imposing Castle Korvosa that sits like a squat pyramid in the heart of the City

THe plaza by the foot of the ziggurat is packed, stands lining 2 sides of it where the weel to do have been able buy seats for a good view and a finer royal box built at the foot of the stairs leading up to the Castle Gates where a thin line of blue coated guards (supported by a quartet of fierce looking Grey Maidens in their faceless full face helms and gleaming plate mail) keep the riff raff away from the cushioned seats and circulating servants serving soft shell crab and small meat fritters to the nobles assesmbled and dressed in silken finery. The contrast with the rag dressed rabble on the far side of the square very apparent and highlighting the rot within Korvosa between the nobility and the masses. In the heart of the square is a large wooden platform atop which is a single ominous gibbet of dark stained red wood with a long noose of rope hanging down from it.

Its slow going as you try and push your way through the crowds, the massess of dockworkers, fishwives, stall holders and youths blocking and jostling you heavily...

OOC
    Please justify any type of skill check you think would be helpful in getting you through the crowds.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

OOC: I assume the play here is to locate Vencarlo and get him somewhere where we can talk without being disturbed. Since he's been invited by the Queen, I assume he'll be found in or near the royal box.

For getting through the crowd, I suspect Dodge Blow or a straight Ag test to weave through the crowd is what Cassian would go for.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth will shout "City watch, let us through," as well as using his natural agility to get through the crowds and where needed, his strength. While he will try not to harm anybody, a few bruises can't be avoided and are not much compared to a wrong execution.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

agility: (1d100)[39] vs 56

In the Paths of the Damned book 2, chases in Altdorf are done by opposed agility rolls, so I guess the same applies here. Depending on the crowds (and how much you mind people being pushed aside) a strength roll can also I guess

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred hangs back with Andrei to make sure he does not get separated as Cassian and Ciraneoth push through the cloud, using her intuition to read the crowd and natural agility to take any opportunities that arise

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[67] WP 46 Sixth Sense

(1d100)[75] AG 47 w/Dodge Blow

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei has lived in the city for long enough to be very experienced at getting through crowds quickly. The trick was always to avoid treading on anyone's feet or spilling their beer.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Charm vs. Fel 50
    (1d100)[26]

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian follows behind Ciraneoth, somewhat doubtful of calling attention to their presence in such a loud manner, but hopefully it wouldn't attract the wrong sort of attention.

OOC: Also, forgot to roll the Ag test...

(1d100)[4] vs. Ag 44
    Last edited by rax; 2022-11-29 at 03:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Through a combination of authority and agility Cieranoth and Cassian move through the crowd with ease, leaving Winifred and Andrei trailing as they are buffeted by the crowd and held up by a swirl of people pouring out of a pub into the square. As Cassian and Cieranoth reach the small collection of markers and ropes around the noble's stands and "picnic area" one of the blue cloaked guards moves to intercept you both. A silver crown on his shoulder lapel marks him as a Senior Guardsman and he narrows his eyes. "Hmm, I don't recognise you fellows. What are you doing here? There was to be no more guards assigned here?"

----

A few 10's of feet back Winifred feels a heavy thud on her back as what appears to be a large piece of horse dung slams into her. She whirls around and spies across the crowd a trio of burly men with the calloused fists and tattoos of dock workers pointing at her and Andrei, one of them shouting "Filthy scum, oppress us anymore and we'll see you dead you filthy pigs"

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

Oink. Oink.

Now relax and enjoy the show and let us get on with our job

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We're just passing through on our way to the palace," Ciraneoth said, taking a short break to let the others catch up, "the marshal gave us these uniforms. We're from the reserves."
    Which was technically the truth, but certainly not the whole truth or nothing but the truth.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    "Filthy scum, oppress us anymore and we'll see you dead you filthy pigs"
    And now you've picked up **** to make your point. Good one. Andrei will watch the men closely in case they decided to escalate or throw dung at him specifically.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Yes indeed," Cassian adds his support to Ciraneoth's statement. "We've been tasked with delivering orders to Sergeant Haneesh. Is she at the stables or somewhere around here helping keep order?"

OOC: The Marshall suggested she could write orders for us to deliver as cover. I'm assuming we went with that, even though I don't think we explicitly said yes.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

In the Crowd

In the crowd emboldened by the sarcastic response from Andrei and Winifred the heavy set man advances towards them both, meaty hands closed into fists as he is supported by 2 more heavy set thugs, one holding a thick truncheon/club, the other cracking his knuckles. A partial circle of locals forming around you as they can sense the trouble with a mixture of excitment and worry. "What did you say you scum..." the man snarls as he seeks to intimidate Andrei

OOC
    Using intimidate on Andrei (1d100)[45] TN 34 opposed roll by Andrei's WP
    Feel free to use violence, magic or words to escalate or de-escalate as you wish

The Noble's Stand

The guard looks at both of you (Cieranoth and Cassian) for a second until Cassian mentions the Sergeant and just passing through. She then nods and steps aside, "if you head up the ramp the stables are to the right of the Courtyard. Haneesh should be in there, she's got her hands full with all the nobles arriving and all their destriers to get stabled. If the Marshall trusts you, no reason for me to question why." She adds the last with a harsher glance at Cieranoth's pointed ears and you realise that like many in the city she is probably a little bigoted against the elven folk from the history of trouble between Varisia and the Elves of Kyonin.

Looking around the stands you cannot immediately see Vencarlo anywhere so he must be in the Castle or eslewhere. Although you can hear the sounds of trouble from the crowd and if you look back can see Winifred and Andrei standing in a loose circle with a trio of tough looking dockworkers confronting them some 20-30 yards away through the thickening crowd.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Troll in the Playground

What's brown and sounds like a bell?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d100)[45] Blather 44

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei is a little put out by the mob's attention but is at least able to respond. 'Just worried about your health. You wouldn't want to catch anything.' He'll speak quietly to the man who had spoken, 'But I'll let you into a little secret. Do you really think they'd hire someone as scrawny as me to do this job? I stole this uniform this morning.'

Spoiler
    Show

This reroll for the intimidate opposed roll wasn't supposed to be here. I think it either means a stalemate or DrK can choose to reroll

Really have to FP that
    (1d100)[83]

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth was used to it by now, so he ignored the guard's racist jab. Also he had seen something else, two of his companions in trouble. As he knew that just barging in would make it only worse, he wasn't sure what do to. He could easily pick off a few people with his bow, but starting a panic wasn't a good idea either. He did make sure his bow was readily available though, just in case.
    "Cassian," he said, "Andrei and Winifred didn't follow and they're there. Do we charge in?"

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian turns to the Senior Guardman and jerks his thumb over at where Winifred and Andrei are being accosted by the dockers. "Sir, our mates have big mouths, but it looks like there's some thugs over there who don't respect the authority of the City Guard. You willing to help us break up that scuffle before we deliver Sergeant Haneesh's orders?"

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

The Sergeant seeing the trouble signs and nods clicking their fingers to grab a couple of more of the brightly uniformed city guard. Even as Cassian, Cieranoth and the 3 more guards push their way back Andrei seems to frustrate the angry crowd before Winifred starts speaking and confuses them. Seconds later Cassian and the others arrive and with more guards arriving the crowd disperses back into the rest of the milling mob with only a few backwards glances.

With the four of you rejoined the Sergeant waves you to the stands and nods. "Aye, move on through." Though as they say that there is a thunderous peal of trumpets from the gates at the top of the stone stairs climbing to the Castle Gates. The hush sweeps across the square and with a faint "boom" the gates swing open and some 40 Grey Maidens in their full plate, full masked helms and bright red cloaks stride out. A carried sedan chair born upon the backs of a dozen servants in their midst starts to descend down from the castle with a dozen or more figures in silks and finery also trailing in the throng. The Sergeant looks back at Cassian and shakes a head.. "Too late now I reckon. They'll all be getting ready now. Look over there."

Following the pointed hand you can see from a smaller side gate buried in the stone of the castle to be closer to street level a second party of Grey Maidens, smaller (maybe 6/7) and a few more troops with dark black uniforms from the Castle dungeons and cells leading a trio of hooded and cloaked figures shackled and chained. The crowd spy the two groups, cheers for the one with the sedan chain and the nobility and jeers for the prisoners who's progression through the crowd is marked by howls of hate and derision and lumps of food, mud and night soil hurled at them. Although you can see that they are careful to avoid the heavily armoured Grey Maidens

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Three for the gallows? I thought it was the murderess who was to hang today?" Cassian asks the sergeant in confusion.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground

'And what exactly are they supposed to have done to deserve that?'

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

The Sergeant shrugs, "I'm not sure. The middle one.." they point at the shortest of the three "Is that artist the royal assassin. The other two must be some other prisoners, no doubt something to whet the crowds appetite." The jeers and howling continue as the guards and jailors bring the condemned into the square and after a slow parade around the three prisoners are taken to the platform in the centre of the square and made to walk up the rickety wooden steps. One of the dark dressed guards from the castle dungeons reaches into his pocket and pulls out the traditional executioner's mask and slips it over his had and from under a tarpaulin that was under the stage another guard hands up a stout wooden headsman block and a glittering axe of shiny dark steel inscribed with a shiny silvery run. Trinia and the other two prisoners are lined atop the stage and you can all see the heavy iron shackles on their feet and the ropes around their wrists.

Trinia as the hood is pulled down looks to be a terrified young woman, pale and thin, struggling in vain to hold back the tears that drip down her grime streaked face. The two men, hulking brutes with jug ears and noses that have been broken many times appear to be common criminals, one looking scared and terrified at the baying mob surrounding the wooden platform, the other sneering with contempt and spitting into the crowd even as rotten food hits and leaves smears on his ragged grey prison garb. The Sergeant, watching the crowd warily and the thin line of guards separating the mob from the stands looks nervous, but shakes their head. "The axe for her I'd wager and the rope for the men. Keep an eye out this crowd has a dark edge to it"

Atop the platform the dozen women of the Grey maidens arrive with a flourish of steel boots on stone and wood and flapping red cloaks. One of them you recognise, Sabine, the head of the Grey Maidens and Ileosea's bodyguard, The hard faced woman with her scarred face looks about the stands cowing any nearby nobles before nodding as the Queen steps out from the covered sedan chair and from the walls above a great peal of trumpets and bugles ring out to announce her presence and as the nobles bow the crowd slowly drop to a knee like a great wave, a strange hush falling over the grand square. Ileosa carries herself like a monarch as she emerges with poise and grace dressed in a gown of finest green silk that glitters with hundreds of jewels and pearls. Reaching the top oft he royal box she settles into the high thrown like chair, the plat clad woman surrounding her and shielding her from the rest of the nobles and wealthy merchants. Andrie is surprised that no-one from the acadamae is present, no court mage or advisor, just as none of the cities' high priests are in attendance. Scanning the crowd the party also realise that in the mass of nobles and guards and silks you cannot see Vencarlo.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks around nervously, they only have a limited amount of time left but it's not clear what they can do - or even if they can do anything. Possibly the stress of the last few days is catching up to her and her self-assurance is starting to crack

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

'I can't say I've ever attended one of these things before. Isn't there normally some sort of Priest in attendance?' Andrei asks with vague disgust. 'Would be shame for the Queen to upset anyone.'

To the others, 'Perhaps we should hope for divine intervention?'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Just in case. Does this look like a normal execution or is there a chance that the Queen has overstepped her authority in doing this.
    Common Lore (Korvosa) vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[20]

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Sir, an odd question perhaps, but have you met Vencarlo Orisini, the swordmaster? Have you seen him here at the castle today?" Cassian mutters to the Senior Guardsman. "I was told he would be in attendance, but with all the ruckus before I've not had time to look around for him. I have a personal message for him, to be delivered as soon as the Marshall's business is concluded."

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

Andrei looks around, he is aware the lack of priests and the lack of the wizards of the Acadamae is unusual to say the least, normally they jump at the chance to be near the seat of power casting their influence. But the Queen ordering the executions is not an overstep of her bounds, for decades Korvosa has been an absolute monarchy and the King (and now Queen's) authority is whatever their whims demand! Although the laws and the courts try and stop them becoming too egregious.

By Cassian the guard pauses, thinking, before nodding. "Aye, Vencarlo was here earlier. He certainly passed through. Although I've not seem him since." Any further conversation is drowned out by a sea of whispers and a hush of excitement. As you turn to look Queen Ileosia rises to her feet, a hand held out to demand silence and her strident high pitched girlish voice rings out across the packed square.

My people. My beloved loyal people, the favoured of Korvosa, the greatest city in all of Varisia..." she pauses as the applause drowns out her briefly. "We live in dangerous times. My beloved, your greatest King has fallen. Poisoned by a treacherous witch. The city has fallen into chaos whipped up by those who seek to usurp the Crown's rightful power." She pauses and Andrei and Cassian both can glance at the empty seats where the high priests and church may be... "These men..." she glances at the two men"Formented rebellion. They tried to install a council of nobles instead of me after poor Eodred died. For that they deserve death."

The crowd fall silence, then start cheering widely. Its then that Winifred and Andrei notice the slightly cold atmosphere in the nobles stands and a few harsh looks. Its unusual though as the men look like common criminals, neither man looks like a man clever enough to forment rebellion. But neither look happy as they consider the noose or the axe. The consideration is short as the Queen orders one to each. The men struggle then, kicking, headbutting and jerking but the black clad dungeon guard are happy to manhandle both of them. One's head is wedged through the noose and the rope pulled taught to pull him onto his toes. The other's legs are kicked out from under him, his arms strapped to either side of the headsman's block and a few more savage kicks to his groin and legs to flatten him out. THe queen watches, a savage glint of glee in her eyes as she drops her hand. Seconds later there is the glint of sun on steel as the axe falls followed by the thunk of the head rolling and a metallic tang in the air as blood sprays out into the first few ranks of crowd who scream with pleasure. Watching Trinia pales further, dropping limply, only the support of the jailor holding her upright. As the crowd calms down following what you would assume would be the execution of two common criminals on trumped up charges she points at the poor young lady...

“Fellow Korvosans! You have suffered greatly these past few days. Homes have burned, family members have died, fortunes have been lost. I feel your suffering, for not only have I lost a beloved husband, but with each riot, each burning home, each act of anarchy, my heart bleeds a little more. This has been a trying time for us, yet the torment is at an end. Before you is the face of your anguish and pain. Do not be deceived by this murderer’s timid nature—she is a black-hearted assassin, a seductress and sinner, a viper amidst us all. I offer you all her death as a salve against the hatred and hurt you have suffered. Her death will not rebuild Korvosa, nor will it bring back the king, yet tomorrow will be a new dawn—a dawn over a city ready to rise from the edge of anarchy to become stronger than ever before!

Trinia is dragged forward then, a faint pathetic whimper almost lost in the sea of excitement and blood lust from the crowd. As she is dragged forward she is held by the scruff of her back against the now blood soaked block. The men not even bothering to strap her in as she seems paralysed with the terror of the situation and the roar of he crowd that have started chanting the Queen's name over and over again. The queen raises a hand, the noise stopping...

“And so, without further delay, let us usher in this new dawn with justice! OFF WITH HER HEAD!”

As the headsman hefts his axe, the already silent crowd freezes in anticipation. Yet just before he swings, the headsman gives a strange little grunt and staggers. His raised axe falters as he reaches with one hand to the small of his back and then brings it to his face, the fingers dripping with blood. An instant later, he cries out in pain and drops the axe as a dagger embeds itself in the back of his other hand. The axe sinks itself in the block inches from Trinia’s head, and the headsman doubles over in pain, revealing a second dagger that’s already embedded in the small of his back. Trinia rises to her knees, glancing up at the executioner in shock as a scream echoes through the crowded courtyard: “By the gods! It’s Blackjack!”

An instant later, a man dressed in a hooded cloak and leather armor springs onto the executioner’s block. He wields a rapier in one hand and a dagger in the other. Blackjack cuts the bonds on Trinia’s wrists and then throws the dagger down to pin the executioner’s left foot to the wood below. He quickly helps Trinia to her feet and then briefly turns to address the shocked crowd.

“Yes indeed, my queen! Let us usher in justice, but let that be justice for Korvosa, not this shambles you petulantly call a monarchy! Long live Korvosa! Down with the Queen!” Blackjack’s words spread like fire, causing the crowd to erupt into a frenzy of activity.....
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-12-30 at 05:16 PM.