New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default DrK Crimson Throne IC

Curse of the Crimson Throne
    ~~Edge of Anarchy~~

For over three hundred years, Korvosa has stood as the greatest of cities in Varisia. Originally a Chelaxian colony settlement, the city lacks the grand history enjoyed by many of the nations of the Inner Sea region, but nonetheless has its own share of culture, prosperity, and influence that are cause for pride among its citizenry. Yet Korvosa remains a city of striking contrasts: honor and ill-repute, altruism and immorality, and wealth and poverty can all be found side by side in abundance. It is another day in the busy city, much the same as any other. Though for some certain people, things are about to get quite weird...

The city has been tense of late, the rise in crime in Old Korvosa, strange rumours from the Midland docks and the recent tales around the bars that King Epdred's declining health is no accident! Though there as many theories on that topic as there are jig sharks in the bay. Other people say a darkness is coming and that even the intimidating Order of the Nail are considering leaving the city. Even so, for the likes of you, mostly down and outs with not that many crowns to rub together you have had more pressing matters, a revenge to be had on one Gaedren Lamm

You never saw who slipped this harrow card onto your person. Whoever had done it was beyond slick. Maybe you found it when you opened up your purse nestled in among your small pile of gold which was all still accounted for, maybe you found it when you took off your boot after a long night's work slipped into your sock. However you found it and you you felt the need to go. Not only did you want to gain the information to strike out at Lamm. maybe you were angry that somebody was able to bypass your usually well honed defense against pickpockets, maybe that was what intrigued you. No matter your feeling on the summons you found yourself going deep into Old Korvasa to 3 Lancet street.

Upon entering you find the cozy chamber within this small home is filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The haze comes from several sticks of incense smouldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and gives the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and several elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

The first to arrive at Zellara’s home finds a simple note on the table, weighed down with a stone paperweight but soon a series strangers enter and and all of you sit there, each cradling the well made Harrow card that each mysteriously received.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

Sandrezi was the first to arrive it seemed. Lamm had been a plague upon the city for too long, and he needed to be stopped before he hurt more people. While it had been several years since he and Lamm had last interacted, the fact that Lamm had still not been brought to justice infuriated him. Perhaps the Harrow card finding him was a sign from his goddess that it was time to redeem him by the sword, or perhaps it was someone who knew his connection to Lamm. Either way, if they were able to get the crime lord off the streets without introducing something worse, Sandrezi would be happy.

Once entering the room he rose an eyebrow curiously, he hadn't known what to expect but his first guess wouldn't have been that. He returned his attention over to the braziers, perhaps a worshiper of Desna? Sarenrae and Desna were on intimate terms, so hopefully it would be easy to work with one of her followers out here. Any more conjecture wouldn't be of any good while they waited though, so he made his way to one of the chairs and looked over the tapestries. They were interesting to look at, and well made. Sandrezi couldn't help but wonder if they meant anything special while he read the note. He had no idea how many people to expect, but he set out some food and drink from the bread under the table.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Going to roll for Sandrezi to see if he can recognize anything in the Tapestries? Either History or Theology? Both TN 46 (1d100)[4]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"Ahem!" Cassian clears his throat to announce his presence. "Are you the owner of this establishment?" he asks the half elf pottering about the room.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei is interested enough in the note to go to the house but is not the sort of person to just show up somewhere because some mysterious benefactor wanted him to be there. He doesn't think he has much in the way of enemies besides Lamm himself although, for all Andrei knows, Lamm doesn't even know who he was. Anyone who really meant him harm would likely be a lot more direct about it. After the Half Elf and the warrior go inside he will loiter outside the building to see if he notices anyone paying a little too much attention to it.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception to be suspicious outside. There may be nothing interesting to notice.
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[32]

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Sandrezi perks up as Cassian speaks, turning from his inspection of the tapestries to the man. "Ah, no, I just got here a few minutes ago myself. . . . Did you receive a Harrow card as well?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Sandrezi starts to look around, intrigued he investigates the tapestries and soon realises that the three ornate and well woven wall coverings are probably related to the harrow cards that this woman professed to love so much. Glancing at the artwork on your own card, a graceful winged serpent you suspect that they were swen by the same women who drew the card and lured you here.

As you chat nervously amongst yourself the curtain at the back of the room swings open revealing a small door beyond and a middle aged women swoops into the room. The woman in question is an attractive middle aged Varisian with long dark hair and a thin face with the grime and creases from a life in the slums of Korvosa on her person. In her hands a well used deck of harrow cards flicker and jump from hand to hand between her fingers with clearly well practiced ease.

Spoiler: Magical sense
    Show

If anyone is trained in magic sense they can make a roll to sense any oddities

Gesturing curtly to the table she sits gingerly one one of the chairs and waits for you all to sit with her. "Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional methods of contacting you. I have a reason to remain hidden. A good one, and one that I may share with you. A viscious man, true scum of alleys, seeks to harm me. And, I think has done harm to you as well. He is know as Gaedran Lamn. A man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his capacity to avoid justice."

Glancinga round she tuts her tongue nervously. "Hmm, I see not all of you are here yet. But, our time may be brief so I shall begin anyway. I can trust you to relate the tale of woe to those others who will be here shortly."

She gestures at the table and bids you to sit, pouring drinks and offering somewhat stale and sub par food to you all before she begins.

"You see, a year ago, his thieves stole my harrow deck. Its important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations of Esmeranda Harrow readers. My son, Eran, tracked them down and managed to return my deck but his thieves, his killers tracked us down and they murdered my boy. Then my daughter Sielda and my man Gregor. All of them killed in an afternoon for daring to take back my deck."

She pauses, clearly upset and sad and still emotional over the death of her family. "I sought the help of the guard. I bribed, I stole to pay more bribes I spoke to the Guard until they threw me into the cells for causing trouble and no-one did anything to help. Recently I was rewarded, a reading helped me and guided me to where the devil Gaedran dwells. He and his gang of pickpockets are in a disused fishery at Westpier 17. He takes children from the streets and trains them as thieves."

I need your help. You have all suffered at his hands. I cannot hope to face him on my own and you've all got reason to hate him, and the Guard won't help me. Even if they helped Lamn has connections in the Guard and they'd tip him off before I could do anything. I want you to help me hurt him. I can spin a harrowing to help guide you. But there it is, I need help. Would you help me?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian gazes intently at Sandrezi, trying to get the measure of the man. "I did, yes," he replies after a moment. He seems about to continue when the Varisian woman walks in.

He takes a seat after the woman and listens to her story, his expression carefully neutral. When she's finished he speaks. "A sad story, mistress Esmeranda, but you'll forgive me if I don't leap into action at once. Let us say for the sake of argument that you are correct, and that all of us have reason to...ah...take issue with Gaedren Lamm. We are a diverse bunch and I for one do not know any of these people. How is it that you know of our personal affairs?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei will get over his hesitation and come in as they were talking. He would like an answer to the warrior's question himself. Still, that the woman had issues with Lamm was an answer of sorts.

'What do you have in mind mistress? I won't say no, but I imagine going after Lamm directly would be difficult.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Magical Sense vs. WP 51
    (1d100)[52]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelina Ardei, Mercenary of the Nail
    Sheet

Mercenary
    Player: Deadguy

Evelina had arrived late. It was too hard to trust things at face value. While she had attempted to be low-key about her entrance, the fact that several people were in the room was off-putting. She had assumed the note was just for her. It made her bristle slightly. Despite commanding respect, the Hellknights had plenty of enemies that would prefer to take out their apprentices and followers instead of dealing with them directly. She eyed the group warily to see if they would all move against her.

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show
    Perception TN 49 (1d100)[82]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred, being properly paranoid and with no great desire to end up in Gaedren Lamn's clutches after she successfully evaded him the first time proceeds immediately to the street in question upon finding the card - albeit by an extremely circuitous route to frustrate anyone following her.

Once there she casually cases the area, looking for alternate ways in and out, the location of any nearby guardposts and then settles down outside a nearby tavern to peoplewatch and exchange gossip with the local inhabitants whilst keeping an eye on those going in and out.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d100)[3] Gossip 54

(1d100)[88] Perception 41

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Winfred makes no attempt to hide from Andrei checking the place out before entering and soon makes her way in.

She stands in the doorway taking in the scene before letting the door slowly shut behind her - then looks for a spot by the wall and close to a doorway, preferring to remain standing.

Well met then Milday Esmeranda. What pray do you anticipate us doing? "hurt" could mean anything from "mildly inconvenience his operations" to "slit his throat, burn the place down and piss on the ashes"

She smiles thinly

And if it is the latter what makes you think we can succeed when professional rivals and meddling dogooders have not?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Zellara looks up as first Evalina and then Winifred enters. SHe smiles and greets them both warmly. "Thank you for coming. I know much of all you. As for how..." she grins and begins to shuffle her well worn Harrow cards on the table. "The cards speak of many things to me. And..." she looks at Andrei hard, "I would have you slit his throat and wrench out hos black heart for what he has done to me and to many others." As Winifred sits taking tea she nods, "A fair question, but Lamm buys off many rivals or avoids the others. He lays so low many of the other gangs and the Cerulean guild (the thieve's guild) may not even know his current hideaway on the shore front. But most of all you all have personal reasons to hate him and see him ended."

She pauses dealing out the traditional 9 cards in their 3 by 3 card. "I would see your futures if you would like? But as for what I can offer, the answer is nothing, I own little, I have no valuables. I merely hope that your own reasons for vengeance and what aid I can offer is enough." She gestures at the cards. "Shall I continue?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred makes a gesture of consent, Please continue

She then takes a seat Do you know anything of this warehouse other than the location? He's a slaver, does he have any captives right now? Any guards? What kind of opposition?

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

Sandrezi nods his head as he settles into his own seat, nodding his head as he listened to the woman speak. It was a familiar story that one could hear in the temple. Plenty of people went to Sarenrae's clergy for guidance on what to do after encountering someone like Lamm. Unfortunately they didn't have power here to do what the guard could or would not do openly.

"He's hurt far too many people to be left on the streets. The fact that he continues to operate is an affront to everything that we should be standing for. Lamm needs to die." At the mention of a fortune reading Sandrezi quirked an eyebrow, it had been some time since he had gotten a proper reading. It was bad luck in his family to use a Harrow deck on yourself, so the deck he had on him had laid unused for quite some time now. "I would be happy to have a reading, thank you. . . and yes, for me seeing that Lamm is off the streets shall be more than enough."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Zellara looks at Winifred with a wan smile, "He had some thugs with him when he took my family, and worse is the rumour of a lizard of some kind that he feeds those who have debts to him. He is a vile creature." Shuffling the cards she glances back at the ones that had brought you here, examing each one and commenting before shuffling them into the deck and then relaying the field.

For Sandrezi the unicorn, "triumph will follow you for what you seek"

For the young apprenctie of the Acadamae "The vision, whether that arcane knowledge can bring power or insanity only your strength of mind can tell"

The tough looking Cassian receives the doughty Teamster. "External pressure drives you, something sad and low seeking a saviour"

Winfred receives the winged archon card, the trumpet, "A declaration of power, a force within you will rise to prominence"

Finally as she looks to Evelina and looks at the card with the stone castle on it. "The Keep. A unshakable foundation. An impervious front to the threat to come."

The old woman grins at you all. "I warn you, the cards never lie and I don not control. I only interpret. I am merely a conduit for the Gods to say what has gone before, what is happening now and what will happen after. Are you ready?" As she shuffles the 9 cards out slowly you can all smell a strange smell, your hairs standing on end slightly as a strange feeling sweeps are across the room. The 9 cards are dealt in the familiar 3 by 3 grid, three for the past, three for the present and 3 for the future. With a look of intense concentration Zellara begins, the first 3 cards on the left row flipping over to reveal an armoured crow, the second one below that a shimmering unicorn and the third an armoured woman in gleaming golden armour. "Hmm" she muses, her hands trembling "The crows sets the deck. The keys are in the high suit. The taking of loved ones and items. My cards, your sister, others you have lost perhaps? But it lies misaligned, so it can be stopped. The unicorn is a what you seek, something you value. The paladin lies in shadow, bravery and standing fast may not be wise." She looks around, "Two misaligned an ominous picture."She flips over the three cards for the present - the first a man under a glowing big sky, the second a dwarf hammering at the forge and the third and upside down a winged serpent with a rainbow body and a long tail. "Interesting. I can see that in the now there is a chance to free something or someone from bondage and that strength comes through diversity, the second sentence with a tap on the forge and look around the table, "But the winged serpent is upside down and failing to seize the moment may be critical." Looking at the third row she flips the last cards over - a thorn bush filled with skeletons in the tangled briar,a pair of twins, and a publican, but misaligned and upside down, his beer pouring on the ground. Zellar hisses staring at the top and bottom cards - "Something bad is coming. The tangled briar brings forth ancient evils, a duality of purpose clouds the issue and the publican cannot offer refuge. No-where is safe." She sags back, exhausted by the harrowing.

Spoiler: Numerical effects
    Show

Harrow points - same as fortune points but are spent per chapter. Essentially bonus fortune points per chapter in this case +2!!
    But your cards effect something this chapter as well (I'll let you know when)

She looks weary, but waves off the offer of food and drink. "The telling was clear. Disaster will follow if an opportunity is missed. You must go quickly and go now to Lamn's hideout. The fishery awaits you, the bastard Lamn hiding amidst the scales of the Devilfish."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    she looks at Andrei hard, "I would have you slit his throat and wrench out hos black heart for what he has done to me and to many others."
    'Well he certainly deserves worse.' The woman's anger tended to make Andrei trust her more. It was hard to see her having some hidden agenda. 'Ideally I'd like to get a confession out of him, but if that should not be possible then Lamm should suffer whatever fate is coming to him.'

Andrei is content to watch the reading in silence. He didn't know how useful a reading would be. The cards were accurate enough to have helped her find all of them, but the trick was knowing how a reading should be interpreted. 'That last part seems straightforward enough.'

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian rises from his seat and looks around at Zellara and the others. "Forgive me mistress Esmeranda, but I am not one to place much faith in palm readers and soothsayers. Perhaps these things you speak of will come to pass, perhaps not - time will tell. However, I do wish to see Lamm pay for his crimes and so I will undertake this quest for your sake and my own."

"Unfortunately, I do not know the area mistress Esmeranda refers to very well - I seldom have business near the docks. Is anyone here among you acquainted with the fishery in question?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks at Esmeranda Very well, but as a backup plan consider tipping off his rivals. I don't like to be rescued especially by the sort of the people who would be doing the rescuing but it's better than not being rescued. If we succeed how are we to let you know?

Is anyone here among you acquainted with the fishery in question?"

I know of it; but not very well. I wouldn't say I am intimately acquainted with the area

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you want me to roll I will but I said yes because she seems the PC most likely to know

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

'Don't dismiss soothsayers when they work' Andrei says to Cassian 'But I agree that it's too early to tell here, which is why I'm inclined to go to the docks to check.'

On the docks, 'Someone will know something, even if they don't realise that they know it. We can always ask around first.'

Spoiler
    Show

Common Lore (Korvosa) on Devilfish
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[33]

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Sandrezi tilted his head at his harrow reading, letting out a soft chuckle. "Well with a Harrow reading like that I can only hope that Desna and Sarenre have blessed this meeting." As the Harrowing continued his brows furrowed as he nodded his head. Well the cards were clear at the very least, and if she said they had to go now he would believe her. Seeing how exhausted she was he tried to offer her a drink, frowning as it was turned down. "Don't strain yourself overmuch for this, would be no good if you ended up collapsing, drink."

At the mention of bravery and standing strong may not being the best choice, he turned his attention to the rest of the group. "I am an initiate of Sarenrae, as one could surmise. I haven't had to skulk around the city since I was much younger, so I'll leave what I should be doing to sneak through this to our experts here if there are any."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

We appear to have two warriors and two spellcasters so I guess that defaults to me

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelina Ardei, Mercenary of the Nail
    Sheet

Mercenary
    Player: Deadguy

Evelina was taken aback by the suddenness of such profound statements. While the doctrine of the Nail frowned heavily on fortunes and other folklore, she was a born Varisian. Even if she didn't hold stock in the cards, they had power to be respected.

Winifred's statement regarding everyone's occupation caused her to check herself first. How could this person know who could do what so matter-of-fact-ly? It was obvious by her own appearance, at the very least. Looking at the rest, Evelina called on her training hoping to detect any anomalies in these 'spellcasters' before entwining herself into this plot.

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show
    Perception TN 45 (1d100)[14]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Arriving late with the sweat of a hard day's work still on his brow and the apron of a smith wrapped around his body, a short, stocky dwarf enters the home at the address he was provided.

Seeing all the others already present, he pauses. "Me apologies. 'Ad an order t' complete, an' it seems y' started without me."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"Started and almost finished. I am Cassian of House Escalante, squire to Sir Davos. No mere warrior," Cassian explains with a meaningful look at Winifred. "And who might you be?" he asks the dwarf.

Edit: Also, as you can see saddle brown is taken.
    Last edited by rax; 2021-01-04 at 05:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    We appear to have two warriors and two spellcasters so I guess that defaults to me
    'I wouldn't go that far, but unless any of you are hiding magical abilities really well I suppose I will have to do for the moment.' Andrei will introduce himself.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d100)[29] Academic Knowledge: Heraldry/Genealogy v 41

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Started and almost finished. I am Cassian of House Escalante, squire to Sir Davos. No mere warrior," Cassian explains with a meaningful look at Winifred.
    Winifred pauses for a second or two

Escalante. Or, a lion rampant gules. Border azure; four flueurs de lis Or.

Winifred
    she curtsies, extremely well Possession is 9/10ths of the law and as I possess little more than what you see before you and no doubt a pile of washing up waiting for me I make no claim to anything else. When that changes I shall let you know

Spoiler
    Show
    https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalante_(apellido)

If that's not what you had in mind for your arms sorry; she knows whatever your arms are

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

To Evilina's trained eyes the spellcasters appear normal as you all squint at each other looking warily. As for the docks, you know that old fishery lies on the midland docks some half mile "up river" from where you are now in a rougher part of docks where beggars and down on their luck fishermen try and flog 3 day old fish or other such things. Winifred and Cassian are both aware of Lamn's schemes, setting himself in abandoned buildings where by city by law the city doesn't take ownership for 2 years. His current racket is making "dock dumpling" - a mash of 3 day old or mouldy fish common amongst the down on their luck or selling fish guts for fertiliser to the local farms. As many of you know his "little lambs" are virtual slaves here, waifs and orphans that work the shop and also pick pockets in the streets. As Andrei considers Zellara's words the reference to devilfish may be just the local shark like creature that is associated with nasty luck and a nasty temper.

As Zellara bids you good day and you trail out her shop you mingle with the masses at on the busy streets of the Midlands dockfront. the packed streets, tiny paths and rooftop walkways giving the cramped area with many houses atop each other or on stilts the lovely name of "the shingles".

The streets are packed, the stench of human waste, wood smoke and fish almost overpowering as the noise of fishing, shops and the mass of humanity surrounds you. Down here the chatter and gossip from the locals is all negative, complaints about the sickness of the King and the spendthrift Queen who rob the populace through higher taxes and spent their money happily. Evilina gets a few suspicious looks as some recognise her as an aspirant of the Nail and give her a wide berth, others jostling past unaware.

The docks grow even less pleseant as you head north. Rotting hulks decorate the piers either as homes for seals and other fish or homes for the desperate and the poor and so after a half mile of growing poverty you can see the Old Fisher on pier 17 that Zellera spoke of. The reek of brine and the stink of week dead fish fill the air in the street. You can see the building a stout warehouse like building precariously on stilts for half of it jutting over the water. A set of double doors wide open on the front with a hulking looking half orc with an eye patch leaning against the remains of a rusted sign watching comings and going as fisher folk with half full nets head in and small bedraggled children head out. Around the side of the building a rickety 15ft wide loading dock abuts the side of the building and a few dirty carts with barrels that reek of side stand idle. Stout looking wooden doors on the side of the building are sealed shut and a longer pier just further out over the water before crumbling near the wreckage of what looks like a partially sunk boat.

OOC

The streets are busy and lots of alleys so easy to get wthin 20-30 yards and totally lost in the crowds
    I'll trust you not metagame having seen some of the interior map (hard to find a good pic online)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks about her, After sundown and still this many people on the streets? Still it should thin out soon.

She takes a look at the neighbouring buildings, their roofs and how high the fishery is

Out of curiosity who here is someone Lamn would not recognise on sight? Apart from probably me?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei makes a point of keeping his distance from Evilina. If he dressed more like a member of the Academae he might attract similar attention but he considered it preferable to be ignored whenever possible.

'If he's not in there it's the sort of place that I'd expect a crime boss to hang out in.' To Winifred, 'Do you want to talk your way in? The lady did say we should hurry but I don't know how seriously to take that. For the record I feel like he has no reason to know who I am. I was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time.'