New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

The young acolyte Ramara catching you, a hand on Winifred's shoulder, "Have a care, but also, please, keep an eye out for my fellow acolyte Pavo. When he went back into the city yesterday evening he hasn't returned, with the madness last night I am worried about him."

I can give it a go if nothing else interferes - though it probably will.

Where was he going and do you have a description of the fellow?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d10)[2] +4 Initiative if necessary

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

On the assumption that Cassandra will stay next to Amin, Winifred will take position slightly behind her and on the other side from Amin and as the beggar approaches Cassian she will cast her eye about for anything else happening in case he is a deliberate distraction

Show

(1d100)[66] Perception 41

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Alas, there was already rioting on the docks when we completed our mission to dispose of Gaedren Lamm - before we found you. I fear there's a good chance your warehouses will have been targeted by the mob," Cassian answers Amin.

When the beggar appears and comes running towards him, Cassian takes a step back in consternation and brandishes his sword. "Stay back, beggar! I'll not have you laying hands on me!"

Initiative: (1d10+4)[14]

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei adds to Amin, 'If the mob is angry enough I'd be certain of it. Think yourself lucky if they haven't been set on fire.'

When the beggar appears Andrei will try and get in the beggar's way before Cassian decides to do something rash. 'What was that about the Queen friend? Would you care to elaborate?'

Spoiler
    Show

If it matters I think Andrei goes first on Init 14 and Ag 48

Charm vs. Fel 45
    (1d100)[42]

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

at the imminent and visible threat of violence from Cassian and then the soothing words of Andrie the beggar stops shy of grapping Cassian (and avoid the risk of transmitting the terrible disease known as knuts). He looks maddened, scratching at his beard and popping a fleeing lice into his mouth, cracking the beast between some yellowed teeth. "Aye the queen be a curse upon this land. A thing of evil sitting in here dark tomb she will doom us all! The city shall be a pyre to her ascendance..."

Any more worsd are paused as Amin looks at the beggar "Away you made old fool. Get some food and leave us in peace," he adds as he flocks the man a pair of silver shillings. THe beggar snatches them out of the air, a sly look on his face as he hides them in his grubby drawers (a place no one would willingly venture) and then scampers off into the nearest alley (if no-one stops him).
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred waits for him to go, whilst keeping an eye out for any more trouble The queen sits in a tomb now? Whatever

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Two shillings for getting infested with lice and spouting prophecies of doom! Clearly, I am in the wrong line of work," Cassian notes drily. "Shall we proceed?"
    Last edited by rax; 2021-07-04 at 03:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei grimaces at the sight of the bug being eaten but will pretend to take the man seriously. 'That may be so, but if she's not going to do anything like that today I'd like to think we'll be able to see it coming.'

To Cassian after the beggar leaves, 'Of course you risk being skewered as soon as you annoy someone enough.'

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"It's not so great a risk, friend Andrei. I know my way about a sword and with proper armour the risk of serious injury is quite small," Cassian answers.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

If you are asking people for money with armour and a sword that's not really begging any more.

That's more of a mugging.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

'I suppose if you really want a change of career there are probably worse ways to live.'

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

I prefer being clean and not in jail

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A knight is sworn to his lord, and the lord provides for one's daily needs, Miss Winifred. I see neither begging nor robbery in my future," Cassian replies with a slight smile.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Amin and even Cassandra smile at the exchange between the trio, the definition of "mugger" being an amusing one for them all. As the beggar scampers off the party take advantage fo the quieter streets to hurry through to the more well spaced houses of the nobility where small walled courtyards surround the brick houses three or even four stories tall and the streets are quieter but the private house guards more noticeable peering through the door ways or nodding gently to Amin and Cassandra who must look familiar (the rest of you looking like hired guards!).

Although even here the signs of the recent night's riots can be seen with some doors marred by burns or the impact of the heavy blows. More worryingly of the City Guard you can see precious little sign and even the prosperous merchant shops are shut up tight, bars on the windows and metal grates over the doors. Amin looks to the rest of you and shakes his head, "A bad sign when even the merchants are closed in the day time."

Finally reaching a white daubed house on the corner Amin and Cassandra approach the small gate leading into the yard where two burly bearded men look relieved and open the gates at Amin's knock. Master Jelento we feared the worst. I am glad you are well, are these friends...?" the mild threat as he surveyed Andrei, Cassian and Winifred obvious until quieted by Cassandra and Amin. The threat turning to gratitude as the situation is explained and you are soon ushered into a warm drawing room where a young servant brings drinks. Amin beckons you to sit. "My thanks, my thanks indeed for the help rendered. Please know that if you need a job you may have one as a house guard, or house mage..." he suggests looking at Andrei. "If not youa re welcome as friends, and please a small token of thanks." He says the last as the servant brings a heavy purse with 30 golden crowns in it to Cassian. "What are your plans now?"

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred watches the purse go to Cassian but says nothing on the matter, Thank you milord.

For the moment I probably want to see if my current employer still exists and deal with the ill-gotten gains that were formerly in the keeping of the late Gaedran Lamn. Perhaps your mercantile connections could assist with turning that into coin?

After that assess my options, I have some relatives currently enjoying my inheritance to whom I owe retribution and recovery but that's more of a long term project and I currently am lacking in the competence, coin and connections to make it stick.

His excellency the Bishop was also kind enough to offer us employment given our demonstrated willingness to mess with things that most people are sensible enough to leave alone.

Also

she makes sure the servant has left the room and it is just the five of them before opening her lapel.

I believe this broach is from her majesty's collection and that she would be quite grateful if it were to be returned to her. Unless of course the circumstance in which Lamm got hold of it reflect poorly on her, but I very much hope that's not the case.

Now if I try to return it I would be lucky to receive any better recompense than to escape torture and execution, however I think noble families such as the Jelentos and the Escalante have the ability to arrange that and benefit from the munificence of a grateful monarch

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian nods his thanks as he is handed the purse. He doesn't check on its contents but simply secretes it inside his doublet.

"My immediate goal must be to report back to my family that Gaedren Lamm has received his just desserts. After that, I have promised my sword to aid Bishop Keppira in dealing with the cultists that are descerating the Boneyard," Cassian answers.

"As for the brooch, I am sure my grandfather would wish to see it returned to its rightful owner in the near future. It would likely not reflect well on us if we were to retain the Queen's brooch for too long, no matter that there are more pressing matters to deal with in the city. I am told the concerns of royalty often stand apart from those of the ruled, and the Queen especially has form for favouring her pleasures above all else," he notes.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei is glad to be proven wrong about the state of Amin's property.

At the offer of a job, 'I'm certainly available for consulting work if the Academae won't help you, but I ought to see where I stand with them first.' Without evidence that Lamm was responsible for the crimes that he had been expelled for, who could say. 'If they are at willing to consider letting me back in for more training I might be a lot more useful to everyone.' He'll listen with interest to Winifred as this maybe was the first he'd heard of the woman's motivation for being here.

To Cassian, 'If you are going after Mortimer and his friend it would be safer if you had least one person capable of seeing something magical before you step in it, so I might as well come along.' Andrei wasn't sure it had to be them, but someone should probably look into it. 'With any luck the Academae might have some idea where Mortimer was living after they kicked him out.'

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Also we have Lamm's ledger to go through at some point yes?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Amin nods as they all speak. A slight look of awe as Andrei talks so casually about the Acadamae, the ancient tutelage of the magical arts being something that had always inspired fear and awe in the city. Even more so if the rumours of the magical dome of protective magics that had enveloped the school the previous night like a dome of glass were to be believed. He nods as everyone deferes the immediate offer of a job, but is clearly not offended.

As they discuss the broch he gestures and examines the piece. the heavy gold ornamented with an imp and house drake (colonies of both that fight and battle in the streets and roofs of the city in the elite districts) set with gems and jewels. Amin whistles and nods, "What an exquisite piece. I do believe I've seen her Royal highness Ileosa wearing it in person at a palace function. A gift from the late King, Pharasma guard him at their wedding I believe." He looks at it in wonder. "It would be best if you return it I feel Cassian. Such a gesture to the new queen would curry much favour."

He pauses before nodding, a cunning thought. "I will pen a letter to Cressida. She was briefly involved with an uncle of mine before she rose up in the ranks of the guard after that incident in Eodred's Square. That and her habit of gallivanting all over Varisia chasing treasure and ancient tombs. But I will give you a letter of introduction and explain how you came to possess this broocha nd then she can arrange you to return it possibly to the Queen? Or at least make the Queen aware of you as the helpful party?" He grins and hops to his writing des, putting fine peacock feather quill to paper.
    You realise the Cressida he is talking about must be Field Marshall (Cressida) Kroft, the head of the Korovosan City Guard who works from Citadel Korvosa in the docks.

Spoiler: Easy +20% Common Lore check
    Show

Cressida Kroft is the younger daughter of Lord Kroft. As a youth though she was a "tom boy" and soon after learning sword play became an adventurer for a while before returning to the city and (to her familie's horror) joining the guard. In the guard her star rose quickly, then soared when in at a festival for the cities' third centennial she foiled a plot by the Cult of Norgorber to do a mass poisoning of the feast for masses in Eodred's square. She not only saved the lives of hundreds of the populace but then drove the cult of the dark gods out of the city almost entirely.

She is well liked by the nobility and the common people and High Priest Darb Tuttle (High Moneylender of Abador and head of the religious council) and has a string reputation for both fairness and loyal;ty and love of the City of Korvosa and the rule of law. And if the rumours are true still frequents bars where "adventurers" drink to re-live her days, hire them for jobs that the require more finesse than the Guard can offer. Although she is now trapped in the city by her duties and fears her adventuring days are done.

Handing you the note after sealing it with a fat daub of wax and his cret he wishes you well, and with a smile, "Know you are friends to House Jalento, if I can be of assistance you need only send word

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Show

(1d100)[23] 41+20

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred will casually try to observe him writing this letter just to check it does not say something like "Arrest these people and throw them in the nearest dungeon"

Thank you milord

She will take the letter unless Amin gives it explicitly to Cassian, I think if I am the one carrying the broach I should be the one carrying the letter, in case we get separated.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I agree, Master Amin, though my family holds no great offices in Korvosa, our patents of nobility are at least recognized by the royal house. It seems likely that my chances of receiving an audience with the Queen are higher than those of my companions, but your letter of recommendation will surely be a great help also," Cassian answers. He doesn't interfere when Winifred takes the letter.

"As for hunting necromancers, I will be glad to have you by my side, Andrei," he thanks the apprentice with a warm smile.

Spoiler: Common Lore check
    Show
    (1d100)[9] vs. 56 (Int 36, Difficulty +20)
    Last edited by rax; 2021-07-09 at 06:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Winifred glancing over at the letter can see in neat handwriting that Amin is true to his word. The letter full of gushing praise for the three of you for saving him from a public lynching, finding the queen's brooch and stamping out a notorious underworld gang figure. The three of you will also realise that Field Marshall Croft is a perfect person to hand over Lamn's leger you should you so wish as she can use that to wrap up most his operation (or at least would be able to as the situation calms down).

Leaving Lord Jalento's town house you head east through high bridge and pass across Eodred's square, although skirting the edge as you can see crowds of dock workers, solly's (day labourers), and other low paid city folk standing and chanting as young impassioned firebrands stand atop the statue of of an exaggerated King Eodred shouting denunciations of the nobility, and accusations about Queen Ilyeosa's right to rule. The crowd are growing rowdy and you can see many of the crowd are already drunk, something that the City Guard in their dark blue tabards with clubs in their hands look nervous about. The normal shops, carts and merchants filling the square are gone and this crowd of protesters seems to be growing larger...

Skirting the edge of the square the guards do little more than wave you through as you seem uninvolved although one does mutter "Avoid the square and stay quiet eh... We don't want no trouble." Already sporting a large black eye its clear this guard has already seen his share of trouble in the past few hours. Heading north from the square to the spit of land spitting out into the Jeggare that holds the Citadel. Named for the Eternal Lord, Lord Volshyenek Ornelos, who paid for most of its construction, Citadel Volshyenek is the main garrison for the Korvosan Guard. The citadel serves as the centre of command for all military operations, and even has its own cells at the bottom to hold prisoner’s until they are transferred to be judged, though many prisoner’s are held here in order for them to avoid the cities harsh punishments. Approaching the gates you can see a strong squad of ~15 guards standing outside the double gates that are smeared with filter from the previous night, a half dozen sorry looking prisoners in leg irons are cleaning up the square by the citadel, picking up the broken chunks of wood, rocks and rubbish and others sluicing the blood from the paving stones and mopping the stone cobbles.

The guards eye you as you approach, though not overtly suspicious, just a health does of caution, but mixed with the reassurance that there is but 3 of you. As you present the letter the guards bid you wait whilst one heads inside. The rest of them, politely cool to you, their eyes watching the streets and alleys carefully. Snatches of murmured conversations you can just hear "Hear those horser (slang term for Shoanti) lads here to sue for peace, bet they are loving this trouble...." "Aye, Gert was by the Acadamae, doors sealed shut with a glowing ward. Damned scary, bolts and rocks just bounce right off. The Arch Maesters say the Acadamae be sealed till order restores...." "Some said they saw Blackjack of all people (a vigilante who was active 5-6 years ago, odd cross between batman and robin hood) climbing the palace walls last night. What is he going to do, bed the Queen or steal her stuff right..."

You wait for maybe ten minutes before the guard appears and waves you towards the gates where a second smaller gate is opened for you and can enter the Citadel's grounds. Inside you can see fewer guards than you would have expected and what appears to be a recruit's barracks is barely half occupied judging by the beds and personal effects. Walking across the narrow courtuard past the stables and smithy the guard looks at you and shrugs. "Aye, been hard getting folk to join the guard of late. What with Old Eodred taking many into debt and the queen hiring all the woman for her Gray Maiden personal guard not that many folk fancy a job with us. That despite Marshall Kroft being one of the best we've ever had.." He tails off as he stops and peers into an unassuming greay stone building abutting the main towering keep and then motions you inside.

Inside you can see a neat if plain room with a large wooden meeting table that has unrolled on it a map of the city with red flags dotted all over it and small pewter soliders scattered around the city. Leaning over the map and dictating orders to three grey haired men is a relatively young woman with short cropped dark hair, piercing eyes and air of world weary exhaustion. Garbed in a stout leather jerkin the strap marks for a plate over the top are obvious and she wears the sword at her waist easily

Looking up at you she waves the three men away who all salute and head outside, all giving you wary glances. Marshall Kroft though seems more open, giving you a warm smile despite the heavy bags under her eyes. "Welcome, welcome. Amin writes highly of you." she says as shes watches you approach, the letter in her hand. "I am sorry I cannot offer refreshments but my men are busy all over the city and its a hard time. As you well know, you have been out in the streets in the thick of it so you know as well as I. It pains me to see the city tearing itself apart so good news is most welcome."

Lokoing at the note again she looks up, "May I see the brooch, to check its authenticity? Also, when you killed that brute Lamn did you find any notes in his lair? No matter if you did not, if you could tell me where he had hidden I can ask some of the guard to investigate."

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

In the courtyard
    "Gray Maidens? I've never heard of them before. When did the Queen begin recruiting?" Cassian asks the guard out of curiosity.

With the Field Marshal
    "Marshall Kroft," Cassian greets the commander with a bow. "We did only as duty and honour require, both with regards to assisting Master Amin and in lancing the boil that was Gaedren Lamm. Miss Winifred here has the brooch, and yes, we found a ledger among Lamm's belongings. It is encoded, but we believe it provides considerable detail about his criminal activities. We also discovered something even more concerning - a dagger shaped like those used by the Key-Lock Killer. We showed the dagger to Bishop Keppira and he was very concerned. He volunteered to consult his sages about it."
    Last edited by rax; 2021-07-10 at 03:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred does her best to avoid any overt fangirlism, but her usual cool is slipping a bit.

Yes maam, milady, maam she undoes the broach and hands it across and stands awkwardly, We do also have his ledger but I think we all have reasons of our own that we would want to go through it.

She looks at the others

There's no reason to keep the location a secret though please bear in mind we did not check out the hulk supposedly full of dangerous spiders. Otherwise we searched the place pretty thoroughly.

Amongst the other items we found this
    she gets out the dagger, Upon consideration the inscription may be relevant and she blanches slightly as she realises that they may have offed the father of a serial killer

I don't think any of the other items may be relevent, but you are welcome to take a look. Like I don't know who Emmah is but that tie into another crime.

Winfired will take the opportunity to take a casual glance over the map and see if there is anything interesting about the deployment
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-07-10 at 05:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Dagger
    Show
    The bishop looked at it, but I don't see anywhere that says he took it

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

On the way

After he has been told of the contents of the letter, 'You know, if I hadn't been there the whole time I would find this a little too good to be true. As long as Marshall Kroft is willing to take Amin's word for it.' While having attended the Acadamae provided Andrei with a certain amount of status, he hadn't exactly had much experience at dealing with the nobility.

At the sight of the firebrands still at work, Andrei will take a moment to ask some of the friendlier looking members of the crowd for news. The fact that no one was making any attempt to drive the crowd away seemed like a good thing, but it also suggested that the riots were likely to continue at least for the moment.

Spoiler
    Show

Gossip vs. Fel 45
    (1d100)[86]

The Citadel

The idea that the Acadamae might have been sealed wasn't surprising, but it might be a problem if Andrei ever wanted to get inside again in the middle of all this. Perhaps they would still let you in if you were a magic user.

After the others had finished speaking to the Marshall, 'I feel like we got anything that seemed important and wasn't very well hidden. I'd say if word managed to get out about Lamm there's every chance people have already started to pick over the place.'

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

The Field Marshall looks at the dagger likes it is a poisonous serpent. "A blade from the past. A savage thing. I wonder whether this pre-dates him, although intriguing suggesting that Lamn may have been the psychopaths' father. The deaths have stopped, whether the killer is dead or just sated I will task some men to look into whatever children Lamn may have had." .

At mention of the ledger she looks sterner and holds a hand out. "The ledger may have information on his criminal enterprise. Please hand it over, once we have investigated and finished with it you can have a look at it again. It may be critical to establishing the tendrils of his criminal enterprise and tracking down all his co-conspirators." Flicking over the locket she places it on her desk. "The locket I will try and trace the owner, other coins and gems you can keep as a reward from the city." She grins a little, "I remember from my youth the trials of earning enough coin as an adventurer."

Flicking the heavy brooch over in her hands she glances at it again. "The Queen, her highness Ileosa, would welcome receiving this from the three of you in person. She has commanded that loyal citizens with useful skills be allowed to appear to her in person for her appraisal. I also would agree with here that you seem loyal to the city and I could make use of you. If I detail some guards to escort you to the palace would you be amenable to presenting her brooch back to her and then returning to speak with me. I have several things that I may need folk like yourselves for?"

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Winfred hands over the ring without demur,

"I remember from my youth the trials of earning enough coin as an adventurer."

Thank you Milday, would you happen to know a trustworthy agent for handling these items?

She stands a bit taller at the Marshall's offer I perhaps would have preferred to look better for my first presentation at court milady but I am of course more than happy to agree.

I think however we should mention that his excellency the Bishop has also expressed an interest in our services.
    she will briefly explain about Zellara and the Necromancers, I am happy to serve wherever I can do the most good - for others and myself

Spoiler: Ledger
    Show
    I believe Andrei has it, I don't think he won't give it over but she can't say that for him
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-07-12 at 04:21 PM.