New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "I think that, until we can get to either a bank or the Amin house, perhaps it would be best to keep the money in the box and I'll put the box in my pack? Putting a hundred gold coin in your pockets is likely to tear them wide open," Cassian chuckles at Andrei's response.
    'As long as you are happy to carry it. If this arrangement continues we might want to invest in some horses.'

Andrei isn't sure how to begin to answer Hannah's question diplomatically and so chooses to remain silent. Less scary then her reputation suggests.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Marshall Kroft grins briefly ad then nods to a mismatch of benches, stools and rickety wooden chairs. "Please sit." she orders curtly and glances around to make sure none of her official guardsman are present before continuing. "Well, as you konw the city has been on the edge of a riot for weeks now. Taxes being raised, the unions causing troubles and the nobility paying no heed to the merchants as they try and curry favour with Ileosa with Eodred's illness. The riots last night have been a month in the making.

But Korvosa's got enough trouble without my own guards losing their way. Many have deserted their posts of late, and with the riots likley to last for a while the problem will only get worse. Some have concerns about the way the city is going, others a concern for family and friends, but others..."
    hear she pauses to spit, "Others are using the recent chaos to carve out their own gains. One of them is Verik Vancaskerkin. Worse, he's not alone, a sergeant promoted by Sabina before she left for the Grey Maidens he was a bad apple and when he left he took his half his squad with him."

She signs sadly walking to a cabinet in the corner of the room and pouring a stiff draught of something. "I need Verik dealt with. Quietly, and by someone outside the Guards. He is a cancer, him and his men. They've been in and out the Guard's Pubs shouting about their loyalty to the Queen by badmouthing the guard and I can see the corruption in the ranks whey they linger. He and his men are holed up in an abandoned butcher's in NorthGate on Stirge Street, "all the worlds meat". She pauses, looking a little concerned. "There is more, the men he deserted with, they've been hiring themselves out as thugs for hire to the criminal underworld, so not sure what they've been getting up to. I want Verik dealt with. Ideally alive and brought to me here so I can make an example of him and his little gang, but dead if needs be. Its worth good money."

I have asked a few other unoffical resources to keep an eye on them as well. I'll give you a letter with my seal, last I head they were staying at the Laughing Goat. If you head there I can can cover the cost of rooms there should you wish it?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred sits and listens intently

That may be a bit hard for the three of us. How many in his little gang? You have strong opinions about what happens to them?

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

'Does Captain Sabina have any opinions about this Verik? Or does his alleged loyalty outweigh anything bad he may be doing on the quiet.' This was not something that Andrei had expected to be discussing when they came in here.

To Winifred, 'If they've upset enough people I'm sure finding help shouldn't be that hard.'

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Marshall Kroft looks to Winifred and Andrei, "I have hired three more folk like yourself with a mixture of skills. One is an Ulfen warrior, strong and tough as an Aurochs, there is an elven tracker from Kyonin and a Priest. They are being paid to look into Verik as well, they should be at the Inn and can give you more accurate numbers. I know he had a few from his squad but I'm not sure how manay stayed with him or sliunk back into whatever coward's crevice they crawled out of."

She pauses, looking at you all, "Think of this one as a test. I have another more delicate matter but need to see you are reliable first."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred nods, Laughing goat it is then. Excellent. Was worried about having to be melee around here.

Still may want some tougher skin though, can your ladyship recommend an armourer?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-07-27 at 08:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Marshal Kroft, if you believe this test will be quick work, I will happily assist in the matter, but as I mentioned before, I have also promised assistance to Bishop Keppira. With all due respect, necromancers raising the dead seems a far worse crime than a few bad apples among your guard. So, do you believe we can take the direct approach here, or will we be required to observe the comings and goings of Verik and his men for some days before we move on them?"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

'Well that's something. Assuming they're all trustworthy. In case the worst happens I think it would be better to have as many people to stand behind as possible.'

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Marshall Kroft nods. "Verik only has a few men I believe, but the trio I've had watching him can confirm more. My thanks." She glances up at Wilphe and nods, "If you try Kundurak's, its behind the Jaggare musuem in five corners, he's a reliable dwarf and his quality is solid." she offers to Winifred.

The wander through the streets doesn't take long, even with a diversion to Kundurak's where a stout dwarf, almost as wide as he is tall serves you and see's you well equipped with some thicker and stouter armour. The markets of the Five Corners district help fence some of the goods and also garner some more supplies before you head deeper into the slightly down and out district with tenements built atop one another in a crammed shanty town sometimes up to 5 stories high. The streets are tight and filthy and bridges between roofs and balconies have been added to give a three dimensional maze of squalid shops and inns and crowds of people. Although today the streets remain relatively quiet, the taverns full and gangs of tough looing men with weapons loose stalk the streets looking for prey- the guard you notice are absent entirely.

The laughing Goat when you get it is not very funny and smells more like a goat pen than an Inn. Although as you enter the tap room, busy for a mid afternoon as the locals, many with the tatoos and looks of teamsters and dockers you would have expected but the three in the corner stand out. A proud looking ulfen warrior, a slender elf in softs leathers and a tough looking half orc....

Spoiler: Bart, Ciraneoth, Rollo
    Show

As adventuerer's of various types you've been roaming the city for a while. Recently you were contacted by Marshall Kroft (head of the Guard and an ex-adventurer) to keep an eye on "All the Worlds Meat" where a desertrt, Verik Vanderkin had been holing up with some ex guards. She wanted him dealt with. After a couple of days you've been observing you've seen ~4 other guards in addition to the sergeant, but more worryingly was 2 nights ago a pair of folk in gray cloaked robes dropped off a body and the men took that into the butcher pens where they normally deliver the pigs and goats that are slaughtered and shared amongst the poor in the city.

Yesterday Kroft promised you that she would send more folk to help

Please all give yourself a short description and introduce each other to each other

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bart tends to his respective pint of ale, small sips as he keeps a wary eye around the tavern. His skin is a dark, almost rock like grey, with prominant tusks that poke out from his lower jaw. Long, black hair rolls down his back, some tied into braids. He currently wears some dark leather vest with a rose carved over his heart, the sleeves having been torn off to better fit his body, and loose breeches worn over his leg.

"Well....I doubt I'll be eating the goat stew anytime soon." Bart says with a chuckle and a shake of his head

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred thanks the Marshall and takes her leave, calling in at Kundurak's and disposing of their various impedimenta. Finding a set of brigandine in her size, she also buys a decent pair of new boots and a hat as well as a new outfit for "best". That however she arranges to be sent back to her quarters. She also picks up a copy of "Drakes' Guide to Korvosan Laws Civil and Criminal".

Winifred is young woman of unremarkable appearance and stature, currently she is wearing a new set of blueish-black leathers that still have the shine of new and which she is apparently unaccustomed to wearing. Over which she has a tunic in dark yellow with a slate bodice and a dark red skirt all of which are clean, but hardly new. She is carrying a bow and quiver that seem to be rather ill cared for and a sword from her hip that looks in rather better condition.

Those looking further will note that she is sporting a new and nice set of riding boots in black leather, that she has not broken in yet.

Further up a few wisps of brown hair escape from under a wide brimmed dark red hat that also looks new.

She sizes up her surroundings and heads towards the three in the corner.

The Marshall sends her regards. I would be Winifred, the quiet one is Andrei, the not quiet one is Cassian.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth normally wouldn't have gone into an inn like this, but sometimes the mission demanded it. He had also taken an ale instead of a wine, as he was sure an inn of this caliber didn't have wine and if they had, it would be undrinkable. The ale was remarkably good actually.

He was still wearing his armour, simple leather but well made. He also had a very good bow, currently standing next to him and a sword and dagger on his belt.

When the three others entered the bar and headed their way, he put his hand next to his dagger in case they were up to no good.
    "Greetings," he said, letting go of his dagger and taking his tankard of ale, "I'm Ciraneoth, this is Bart and Rollo."
    He indicated the two others.
    "What news?"
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Half orc raises a hand, giving a small two fingered salute to the oncoming adventurers "I'd be Bart. Just Bart, not much else needed." He says, leaning over the table to get a better look at the group "So! Your the folks the Marshall got together to try and clean up some of old Korvosa. Always good to see us normal folks trying to make this place better. Tell me, how much blood are you willin to shed to see that through?"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred gives a thin smile By preference none, other peoples' if it comes to it, mine if I must

She looks at the elf, Her ladyship said she had a problem with a renegade ex-guard sergeant named Verik Vanderkin and wants him taken in, or down, preferably the former but she's flexible.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei will take the opportunity to pick up a leather jack and a clean set of clothes to wear over it. The armour would interfere with his magic, but as he was still wounded following the the fight with the Necromancers it would be better to have the protection for the moment. The set of black clothes and a plain dark hooded cloak would replace the somewhat dilapidated set of robes he had been wearing since his expulsion from the Academae. Given the job that they had been given it might be better not to attract too much attention. If the worst happened, maybe he could avoid having any of Verik's friends coming to look for him.

The Laughing Goat

'I've been in worst establishments.' Andrei is a well dressed young man with untidy black hair and a small beard. He's only visibly armed with a walking staff and a dagger. To Winifred, 'You and Cassian seemed to be handling things ok.' To Bart with a grin, 'I'm certainly not against it. This Verik seems to deserve it by the sound of things. I would prefer something less messy if that's possible, but I think dealing with all that won't be my department anyway.'

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bart smiles, already liking what he's hearing from his new adventuring buddies "Well, thats good to hear. But I didnt just mean other peoples blood. Your own blood, thats what's most important. Everyones always so willing to cut into another person, gut them like a fish but...few are willing to get gutted for the sake of the people. Thats always the real question.

Bart takes another sip of his drink "But dont think were going to be taking this Varik in alive though. Seems he's been feeding the people...well, people."Bart says, taking a piece of stale bread from the table and chomping down on it "Dont think there's much coming back from that."

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei looks around at anyone in the pub who might be eating. 'Ugh, you're certain? That's seems unusually...depraved. If all else fails, if we can find evidence of that and spread the word, perhaps the mob will deal with him for us.'

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bart smirks at that, raising his mug "No Purer justice then mob justice! Ha!" he lets out a boisterous laugh before slamming his mug down "But, we'd just have to find a way to get said evidence. Any suggestions? Because Im fine with simply beating his head in and leaving the body hanging from something. Sends a message."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let's try take them alive first," Ciraneoth said, "it's easier to question them that way I've always found. We've been following them and we noticed that there's the old sergeant, about 4 of the old guards. But they were engaged in some very shady practices, so the quicker we can deal with them, the better it is I think."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Well so long as he's not feeding children to crocodiles it's a step up for us.

There is no crocodile involved right?

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I have not seen any crocodiles," Ciraneoth said, only a body that they also butchered like the pigs and goats and put into the pies and sausages. We might want to do something about that as well."

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Temporary experiment with vegetarianism on my part would seem in order.

You can take us to the place?

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bart nods "Yea, We can take ya but I'd suggest being prepared for some bleedin. I probably ought to get some more armor myself. Though, I'd say odds of crocodiles are more then zero."

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian follows Winifred and Andrei into the Laughing Goat. He's about twenty years old, of average height with a lean, athletic build. His eyes are green and his brown hair is tied back in a small bun. A pale scar cuts across his right cheek down to his jawline. He is well armoured in leather and mail, with a helmet hanging from his waist next to a Taldan falcata. A shield is slung across his back.

"Cassian, squire of House Escalante, and I think you'll find it's Miss Winifred who's afflicted with verbosity, not I," he introduces himself with a crooked smile.

"You may not be aware of this, but Marshal Kroft has specifically requested that Verik Vancaskerkin be brought in alive, if possible. So, the less blood we spill - ours or anyone else's - the better," he addresses the three adventurers.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

"Cassian, squire of House Escalante, and I think you'll find it's Miss Winifred who's afflicted with verbosity, not I,"

Sounded politer than chronic rectal lignal insertion.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-07-30 at 09:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian shakes his head and tuts gently. "I see you're lowering yourself to playground insults already, Miss Winifred. Disappointing, but not unexpected. Perhaps you should focus on the task at hand instead of taking out whatever frustrations life has dealt you on innocent bystanders, hmm?"

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bart chuckles "Bah, always worried about sparing the lives of those who dont deserve it. If the man seeks to end himself let him, if not, then bring him. The Half orc smiles to the pair Playful ribbing is only the symbol of comradery. It's a good thing to hear it between the two of you. A good Sign."

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't know about playgrounds, I was tutored at home.

Now shall we go start on what we came here to do?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Good idea," Ciraneoth said, standing up and taking his bow, "follow me, please."
    He wasn't sure what was going on, but he had patience and it would become clear at some point. But for now there was a mission that needed to be done. Getting out of the inn, he walked towards the location where they had seen the ex-sergeant the night before, looking around as well to see if they weren't followed or walking in a trap.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d100)[5] vs 59 (49% Int +10% excellent vision)

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

It was a short walk towards the butchery "all the worlds meat" and even late in the day the store front was still open, a counter just visible through the open door where a couple of men who looked dishevelled but tough and well muscled stood ready to dispense the meat that was on the counter. Most of the clientele looked poor and many probable homelss, a fact that the two men seemed to enjoy as they mocked and shouted at the customers.

Ciraneoth gestures and you head away from the northern side of the building down an adjoining alley reeking of nightsoil to the western side oft he building where there is a badly patched wooden fence and a double gate wide enough for a cart to enter. From the smell, the low bleating and the glimpses you can see through the fence you realise that part of the fenced outside area is a pen for the animals waiting to be slaughtered and the other just a small wagon yard.

However Ciraneoth's sharp eyes glimpse movement in the upstairs from the 1st floor windows when a shadow passes in behind the shutters and their sharp elven eyes also see drag marks in the alley leading up to the gate consistent with a body (freshly killed) being dragged inside. Unlikethe front of the building in the shop this gate seems deserted currently.