New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

Sandrezi scratched his cheek at the question. "I don't believe that he would recognize me. It was several years now since I escaped service with him. Do we want the streets empty, or full of people? I could try a little impromptu sermon near by if we need people in the area to remain."

As he talked he looked over the building. A different dock and a different scheme but it was still the same perpetrator. "He would never have this place without a way out either, maybe something closer to the water?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

At Zellara's
    Cassian raises a single eyebrow at Winifred's recitation and then gives her a nod of recognition. "Very good, yes. Except the border is vert, not azure. Grandfather had it changed when we came to Korvosa."

Spoiler: @wilphe
    Show
    I had no particular coat of arms in mind, but the one you linked to seems suitably Taldorian, so we can certainly go with that.

At the Old Fishery
    "I have never met Gaedren Lamm, but it is possible he would recognize me due to a certain family resemblance. I think it matters little though. We are here to bring him to justice at the point of our swords, not to negotiate with him. As for his henchmen, if they stand in our way, they shall share his fate unless they choose to surrender. My only concern is that the children, his 'lambs', should come to no harm," Cassian opines.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quite. But we don't want to botch this and have him escape whilst dealing with his underlings. Also the quieter we do this the less likely we are to draw any attention from the guard or anybody else. So:

Look for and if possible neutralise any escape route

Get some idea of what is inside

See if we can get to him without hacking through his henchmen - or at least as few a possible

Ideally we get in, kill him and get out without anyone being the wiser. We almost certainly aren't going to get to do that but that's the ideal.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

To Sandrezi, 'Do we want witnesses? I'd say it's even odds if there's anyone in the watch who might care about this but I wouldn't put it past Lamm to have friends he could call on.' Perhaps that was only a problem if they didn't catch Lamm here.

The notion that there might be a backdoor had occurred to Andrei as well, 'To get out perhaps he'd only need to be willing to go swimming, or is there a way into the sewers nearby?'

'If we want to try talking our way in perhaps we say we have business with Lamm and see if that gets us through the front door. Otherwise some more information about whatever goes on inside there might be useful. Perhaps we can see if one of the children is willing to talk to us.'

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelina Ardei, Mercenary of the Nail
    Sheet

Mercenary
    Player: Deadguy

Evelina listened to each hatching plots as she watched the front doors. "It's simple, he needs to die, those that work for him are no better. Kill the guard, bar the door, put it to the torch. Station at the corners for anyone that might escape."

There was a cold detachment to her tone. She had already decided that this area of the city could be sacrificed, it was stagnant and needed something to spark a renewal.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Let's file that under Plan C shall we? Fires spread. We kill him and no one will care. Set a fire that spreads over a chunk of the city - that's the sort of thing the guard will care about even in this district. I have no desire to die tied to a stake.

In any case a fire that spreads will kill a lot of mostly innocent people and no doubt make us new and interesting enemies. I don't feel my life is that dull yet.

Let's not also forget he has a bunch of children in there; and I will also admit I'd quite like to loot his ill-gotten gain.

Winifred checks about her, has it been raining recently, how damp do these buildings look and is a fire likely to spread.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'If we want to try talking our way in perhaps we say we have business with Lamm and see if that gets us through the front door. Otherwise some more information about whatever goes on inside there might be useful. Perhaps we can see if one of the children is willing to talk to us.'
    Agreed. I am sure some food and sweets would be very enticing

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

'If nothing else we have to be sure that he's in there before trying anything like that.'

To Winifred, 'I feel like good information would be worth a bribe even.' Andrei is going to look around for someone who might be one of Lamm's children, or failing that a local beggar.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[55]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[93] Perception +41

(1d100)[37] Fel +44

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

As the group linger on a nearby street corner Winifred chats casually to a nearby street vendor selling dubious looking lizards partially barbequed and left on skewers. During the idle gossip the man nods to a young girl wandering the crowd feigning being upset and asking for a few pennies to help her get some food... Most in this part of town ignore such begging but a few kind (or drunk) souls do toss her some pennies. THe man selling the meat nods to Winifred, "Aye, that lass be in and out of the fishery regular like." He grins, "Keep your belt pouch close to hand near that lot, like thieving rats, the half man who whips 'em bloody be the worst."

Discussing the situation you all know that in this part of the town the streets remain relatively busy until well in the night, within sight of you there are three inns catering to the dock folks, "The Devilfish and Fang" a bedraggled tiny entrance to the "Swordfish" and raucous shouts and ragged cheers and drumming and music from the "Hope and Anchor". Although you'd expect the fishery to close up relatively soon after sunset along with most of the other shops.

After Evelina's rather brutal offer of a solution you look about but realise that with half the structure over the water and the rest of it looking wet with rot and moisture it may not be the most flammable of buildings without a significant amount of oil or the like.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We will do no such thing," Cassian answers calmly but firmly when Evelina proposes her plan. "Not even as a plan C," he continues with a look at Winifred.

"We are agents of justice, not butchers and arsonists. If some of you cannot tell the difference, then you are no better than Lamm and his ilk. Do I make myself clear?" he says in the tone of one who expects to be obeyed.

Show
    I'm not trying to assert that Cassian is actually in command here, but in his mind he's a knight (almost) and a noblemen, and the rest of the PCs are commoners, so when he puts his foot down, he thinks that should be the end of it.

"If the girl can be persuaded to volunteer useful information, then that would of course be helpful. Anything we can do to make our strike swift and sure is worth a try," Cassian weighs in when the vendor has identified the begging girl.

"Do either of you have an appropriate bribe handy?" he asks Andrei and Winifred. "And what will you do to attract her attention and get her to come to a place where she can be questioned without raising any suspicion?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"No, I will not allow such a thing either. The children are innocents and despite the crimes that Lamm has done if we're able to give him a swift death that will be enough. We'll have to adapt but to spread such chaos through the city is unthinkable. Sarenrae would not forgive any of us if fire spread and consumed everything because someone tried to take the easy way out through this. It will be a hard slough to get to Lamm, but we must if we can not find an easy way in. I will do everything in my power to see that the children are safe."

To Andrei he scratched his chin for a moment. "It would depend yes, if we believe for a moment that the fighting could spill out into the streets then getting anyone close by would be putting them in harm's way. People knowing that Lamm is dead could go either way once enough people knew of it. Imagine that the people here wouldn't be troubled, but yes his friends would hear quickly."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred goes over to the vendor and purchases a lizard on a stick for everyone and one for the girl. She hands one to Cassian You know, you and this lizard have a lot in common - you both have a stick up your arse.

She then leaves and heads over to the girl, watching her eye the snack hungrily and then crouches down to be at eye level.

Hey little one. I know you want money or the bad man will beat you so here is some. he holds out a couple of pennies but keeps them back before they are snatched, Nuh hah. Not yet. This on the other hand. she waves the lizard, You have to earn. Come with me

Show
    (1d100)[31] Fel 44

Spoiler: MAP
    Show
    So if I understand this correctly what we are looking at is the ground floor and there is another floor below "street" level but above the water yes?

If she can, she will also go up to nearby roof and see if there is a way in that way or anything interesting

(1d100)[98] Perception 41

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Show
    I'm not trying to assert that Cassian is actually in command here, but in his mind he's a knight (almost) and a noblemen, and the rest of the PCs are commoners, so when he puts his foot down, he thinks that should be the end of it.
    Show
    Winifred on the other hand has "My family is just as good as yours even if I don't choose to make that claim right now" and "I am not being paid to take your BS"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelina Ardei, Mercenary of the Nail
    Sheet

Mercenary
    Player: Deadguy

"We will do no such thing," Cassian answers calmly but firmly when Evelina proposes her plan. "Not even as a plan C," he continues with a look at Winifred.

"We are agents of justice, not butchers and arsonists. If some of you cannot tell the difference, then you are no better than Lamm and his ilk. Do I make myself clear?" he says in the tone of one who expects to be obeyed.
    Evelina snorted at the man's presumption of being obeyed. "Let's get one thing straight. You aren't here for justice. You're a mercenary at best, an assassin at worst. If you're so high and mighty, march in there and place the man under arrest. Don't ever confuse vengeance with justice."

With his self-righteousness addressed, she turned to the rest. "You amputate an arm when it gets infected, to save the rest of the body. Some may have not chosen the life, but who really does? A few dead now, or the continued suffering of many?" She adjusted her weapons and was prepared to move. "I'm fine with the consensus of the group, but don't mask it by some false sentiment of ethics. We're here for cold-blooded murder. Innocent or not, there will be no trial, no jury. A few more lives wouldn't darken an already black soul."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

"And who might you be?" he asks the dwarf.
    "Bardin Bronzehammer" is the simple introduction from the dwarf in response.

As the group make their way toward the docks, the dwarf excuses himself to go obtain his equipment and informs them he will meet them at the docks. He hadn't expected to be fighting anything today, so he had not arrived in armor or even with any weapons beside a small knife.

Some time later, the dwarf appears anew, now wearing a leather jack and mail shirt, with a shield slung over his shoulder and a rune-marked hammer hanging from his hip.

"It wouldna darken yer soul, maybe, lass, but it would darken th' rest o' ours t' be killin' children when they may be spared."

The dwarf peers around the area seeing if there might be anything noticeable that they could use to their advantage for entering the building without making a racket.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Perception: (1d100)[57] vs TN 53

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei only rolls his eyes at Cassian's tone. He didn't want to be responsible for dead children either but seeing if Lamm was here in the first place seemed like the more relevant point. He'll answer the point about the bribe, 'Money should do it, with the promise of more to come if the information's good.'

To Sandrezi, 'I would hope that anyone who lives in Korvosa would have the sense to keep their distance when a fight starts. Oh and I suspect if any of us were worried about retaliation I feel like we wouldn't have come here in the first place.'

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Winifred goes over to the vendor and purchases a lizard on a stick for everyone and one for the girl. She hands one to Cassian You know, you and this lizard have a lot in common - you both have a stick up your arse.
    Cassian accepts the proffered lizard with a thin smile. "Thank you, I find the stick helps one stay upright even when the temptation to stoop low is strong," he deadpans.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy
    Evelina snorted at the man's presumption of being obeyed. "Let's get one thing straight. You aren't here for justice. You're a mercenary at best, an assassin at worst. If you're so high and mighty, march in there and place the man under arrest. Don't ever confuse vengeance with justice."

With his self-righteousness addressed, she turned to the rest. "You amputate an arm when it gets infected, to save the rest of the body. Some may have not chosen the life, but who really does? A few dead now, or the continued suffering of many?" She adjusted her weapons and was prepared to move. "I'm fine with the consensus of the group, but don't mask it by some false sentiment of ethics. We're here for cold-blooded murder. Innocent or not, there will be no trial, no jury. A few more lives wouldn't darken an already black soul."
    "I am not the one who's confused, madam. I understand perfectly that vengeance and justice are not one and the same, but I also understand that at times they may hew closely to one another. For instance, when the duly appointed guardians of law will not fulfil their obligations - the very situation we are in now, in fact."

"However, that's no excuse to apply methods that would make us as monstrous as the villain we are here to deal with. Your analogy is flawed. No matter how Gaedren Lamm and his henchmen may have wronged each of us, they are not an infected arm. They are at worst a frostbitten finger or two - cut them off, and we may yet save the hand and the arm. What you are proposing is to punish the many for the crimes of the few. That is tyranny - no more, no less - and most definitely murder to boot."

With that, Cassian turns his back on the scarred woman and watches Winifred's attempts to lure the girl with promises of coin and food.

Spoiler: OOC @everyone
    Show
    Going back through the thread, as far as I can tell the only people who have actually introduced themselves are Cassian, Winifred and Bardin. It would be helpful if everyone else could at least mention their names and whether or not it's supposed to be obvious what their profession is.
    Last edited by rax; 2021-01-08 at 01:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post

She then leaves and heads over to the girl, watching her eye the snack hungrily and then crouches down to be at eye level.

Hey little one. I know you want money or the bad man will beat you so here is some. he holds out a couple of pennies but keeps them back before they are snatched, Nuh hah. Not yet. This on the other hand. she waves the lizard, You have to earn. Come with me

Show
    [roll0] Fel 44

Spoiler: MAP
    Show
    So if I understand this correctly what we are looking at is the ground floor and there is another floor below "street" level but above the water yes?

If she can, she will also go up to nearby roof and see if there is a way in that way or anything interesting

[roll1] Perception 41

Wiinfred talks to the young girl who snatches the coins hungrily from her hand and looks with clearly famished eyes at the roasted lizard. As Winifred moves to get a better look the young gilr shakes her head. "You ain't wanting to go down to the lower levels. Gaedran stays down there, only him and his lads are welcome. Any of us go down that we's never come back. Feeds us to ole' gobblegut he does." Snatching away the lizard she looks to Winifred, "WHy you wanting to know about Lamn, he''ll kill you he will. Or Giggles will" the last said with a nod to the one eyed half orc with the flail standing near the door. True enough as Winifred walks down a couple of buildings she can see more walkways extending at water level under the other ones and leading to the partially wrecked boat behind the old fishery.

As the others discuss what to do you can all hear warning trumpets and horns blaring across the city and moments later a few young men with long red headbands marking them as opponents of sick King Eodred and the unloved wastrel that Queen Illosia race past, chased moments later by a half dozen of the City Watch. Other people shout and jeer, but horns and screams and soon a few pillars of smoke start to rise to the east in the "Heights" district around the base of the looming Castle Korsova. A few cries of "Riots, riots" or "Sable Company company, its a curfew"....

Amidst the clutter and the shouting of what is sure to be another riot about the conditons and the taxes the street is thinning rapidly. Even the peddlar dropping and iron pan lid over the coals and draggin his hand cart away, smiling with broken teeth. "I better to get to the heights eh? Rioting be hungry work!"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not so easy to kill, thank you little one and nods to the vendor Good luck

Winifred returns and reports to the group, The kids don't go to the lower level. Some dude called Gaedran stays down there and only his lads are allowed in. Something called gobblegut down there too. She didn't say if Lamm was there, but did mention his name unprompted

The one-eye half-human on the door is called Giggles; no mention of if he has a friend called ****s

She looks at Bardin, You have a way to break locks and chains? We were told something about captives and he's a slaver and we may find some locked doors.

She casts her eye about at the scene on the streets, Looks like we have ourselves a diversion; with any luck initial sounds of fighting get ignored. Kill that ****er then look for a way down, ignore the upperfloor apart from that. Sound good?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

The dwarf nods and replies, "Aye lass. I can break chains."

As the crowd goes by, the dwarf unslings his shield from his back and onto his arm.

"If'n we be goin' th' direct route, we best be gettin' to it b'fore th' crowd disperses."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"His name is Gaedren Lamm. The same man, not two different ones," Cassian observes when Winifred returns with her report.

"It does seem we've been gifted with an opportunity," he agrees with Winifred's assessment. "Though I think we will be hard pressed to approach Mr. Giggles without him seeing us and becoming suspicious, now that the crowds are thinning. If he manages to retreat and lock the doors it could prove problematic to get inside unless there are other ways in. Perhaps there's a direct route to the lower level?"

@DrK
    What's the "terrain" like from where we are to Giggles and the double doors? Can we as a group move from where we are and attack him in one or two rounds? Is there any chance of making it to the fishery unseen or will we be walking along a basically deserted road?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei is satisfied that they have some indication they've come to the right place. 'If this pet eats people I would hope he has it locked up somewhere. If not I would be very surprised if it's not as much a danger to Lamm's people if he lets it loose.'

'As for our friend there I can try putting him to sleep.' He wiggles his fingers to indicate how he might be able to do that. 'Trouble is it doesn't always work and it doesn't last forever.' He looks across to the Orc. 'I need to be close enough to touch him. I suppose I could go first if we're going that way.'

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"And if your spell fails, from what the child said, you'll be face to face by yourself with a hardened killer," Cassian answers. "I think we would be better served if we either all move together or split into two groups and close from opposite directions. I am not much for sneaking about, but an approach via a parallel street could put us in striking distance of 'Giggles'. A quick sprint across the street, and either you can put him to sleep or I can cut him down with my blade."

"If we move in two groups, the second group could consist of anyone that fancies themselves any good at moving about unseen. The dock front houses look like they could provide reasonable cover on the approach and we would then have the advantage of being able to hit him from two directions at once," he adds.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Is Giggles at A1 or A2?

Let's all go parallel and then sprint. I don't think I can sneak up. I can walk up to him and talk to him though.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

"And if your spell fails, from what the child said, you'll be face to face by yourself with a hardened killer,"
    If all of us together can't take him out we should probably rethink being here in the first place. Go round the side and get ready, I shall engage him in light conversation, give me a minute

She ducks into a tavern, buys a small beer, takes a drink and then spills the rest on herself. Leaving she produces a long clay pipe.

I'm ready

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred waits for the others to get in position and then heads toward the fishery, walking casually, getting closer to him she pulls out her pipe and pauses looking over the water, knocking it against a post to empty it she then fills it and looks for her tinder box.

Pretending not to find it she looks about her and heads for Giggles, Hey friend, do you have a light?

Show
    (1d100)[2] Fel +44 (Blather?)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

As most of the gaggle of new associates stalk througfh the parallel streets ignoring much of the irsing shouts in the distance as alarms and belles toll all across the city Winifred heads down to the main street towards the main front doors of the "shop" where Giggles is standing guard (A1). The half orc look ups from where it had been picking his nails casually looking almost through Winifred until she ask casually for help with the pipe.

Giggles looks her up and down, clearly seeing nothing worth stealing before shrugging. "Aye sure. You look to be down from the centre. Whats the bells and fire about? Folks rioting again about that sickly **** of a king again?" He fiddles with her belt pouch bringing out a striked and strikes the stone and metal together sending sparks shooting into Winifred's pipe.

OOC

Giggles losing hos first turn as he is suprised
    His initiative is (1d10+3)[12]
    All the players may move

The road (to the alley where the rest of the party) is ~12 yards from Giggles and the front door

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

To Cassian, 'I wouldn't say I could take him in a fight but I could probably outrun him.' Andrei will accompany Winifred staying close enough to look like he was with her. He'll take his wooden tankard out of his pack to look like he was using it to drink. To Giggles, 'As long as they don't do it round here. It's enough of a mess already.'

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing Andrei's spell fail Winifred draws her sword and slashes at the half orc

Show
    Delay Action until after Andrei acts if necessary

Std Action - Draw Sword

Std Action - Attack (1d100)[87] WS 41 + Whatever modifier. I assume at least +10 for 2:1 odds