New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

What the? Andrei will watch the tide of ulghu move around the blade with interest but will throw himself backwards with a startled noise as the serpent revealed itself.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Academic Knowledge (Magic)? vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[52]

Initiative? (1d10+48)[55]

Half Action - Move away from the magic snake as quickly as possible
    Half Action - Magic Dart

No time to channel, cast on a 6+
    (1d10)[1]

Any damage
    (1d10+3)[8]

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian sets about patting down the prisoners, hauling them to their feet as needed. He makes sure to relieve them of any weapons he finds as well as taking Verik's sling bag. He places any larger items he finds in a pile behind Ciraneoth.

Once that's done, he heads for the room adjacent to the abattoir to search it more carefully than the group was able to in the midst of the fight. He is especially alert for any proof that not only animals were butchered on the premises.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Downstairs

As the prisoners are secured Cassian looks around the butchery and the cold store. Its soon apparent that not only animals were butchered here, a few fingers wedged under a barrel, a haunch hanging from hook has a human torso and some of the leg bones in the corner are unmistakably human. Verik watching blanches and then vomits, a strangled "What have you been doing..." as he looks in horror at the other two prisoners, a horrified, "You must know I did not know. I was working with her to help the people...."

Even as that is going on Winifred rifles through the chests, finding mainly old clothes and pamphlets praising the late king and a small wooden box with ~120 silver shillings in it. EVen as she does that she hears the cries (along with Cassian and Cieranoth) from upstairs...

Upstairs

Upstairs the strange serpent, a Rakasha of some sorts Andrei realises seeing the demonic beast's shape changing ways lashes out. Andrei stumbles back clawing at the aethyr but with the strands of Ulghu still thick in the room the winds of magic are slippery and he grunts as pain sears his mind as the magic's crackle around him. Dzed for a second he's unable to stop the snake-like beast sliding to the table edge and launching itself at his thigh, its fangs bared!

OOC
    Little Rakasha moves and attacks Andrei
    - (1d100)[18] TN 48 dam (1d10+1)[7] and an easy (+20) T test or poisoned ((1d10)[3] WP damage) as it fogs your mind
    - Poison will contine each round until death or successful T test

Last edited by DrK; 2021-11-10 at 02:34 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred takes the box and heads back to keep an eye on the prisoners, If you need me holler. I'll make sure these three don't escape in the meantime

She looks at Verik

Your protestations of innocence might be a bit more credible if you cared to share with us what my colleagues are dealing with upstairs
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-11-10 at 11:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay," Ciraneoth said as he ran upstairs to check what was going on.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian starts at the sounds of combat upstairs.

"What fresh devilry is this?" he growls, but doesn't wait for an answer, merely giving Winifred a nod and racing after Ciraneoth, drawing his sword as he does so.

Initiative: (1d10+4)[14]

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei will yell and thrash around on the ground as the thing bites him in a desperate attempt to get the thing off his leg. He'll grasp for any kind of a weapon.

Show

W: 1/13

Toughness test vs. T 40 (+20)
    (1d100)[46]
    FP if failed
    (1d100)[12]

Half Action - Ready Knife
    Half Action - Attempt to stab it

vs. Ws 41
    (1d100)[65]

Any damage d10 only
    (1d10)[5]

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

As the snake like creature wraps itself around Andrei's leg and sinks its teeth into the mage Cassian and Cieranoth race upstairs and arrive. Both can see this unusual metallic snake like monster around their friend's legs with fang dripping green liquid poised to strike against the mage's face as he battles and thrusts at it with a dagger. Rising up, even as Andrei resists its poison it goes to strike the mage's exposed throat!

Aim and strike (1d100)[89] TN 56 dam (1d10+1)[9] and Poison T+20 test or (1d10)[9] WP as it fogs your mind

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks at Verik, Soooooo Mr You must know I did not know, you want to tell me what my associates are facing?

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian uses his momentum from racing up the stairs and slashes at the creature, trying hard not to hit Andrei as he does so.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    If Cassian needs to move to attack the snake creature, he'll do so. In that case, assume a standard attack and use the first roll below.

Full action: Swift Attack vs. WS 52+outnumbering bonus (1d100)[56], (1d100)[65]
    Damage (1d10+4)[9], (1d10+4)[9]

Ulric's Fury if applicable
    (1d100)[80], (1d100)[70]
    (1d10)[6], (1d10)[6]

Pre-emptive Parry with shield (1d100)[87] vs. 62 (WS 52, Defensive +10)

Wounds remaining: 6/13
    Fortune Points used: 1/3
    Harrow Points used: 2/2
    Last edited by rax; 2021-11-27 at 06:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

When Ciraneoth arrived upstairs, he noticed the strange snake. While he didn't have any experience with metal/magical snakes, he did have experience with real, living snakes. So he did what he would do with a real snake: sweep with his sword along the leg to hit the snake on the head.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

if I don't have to move: aim then hit: (1d100)[22] vs 54 (- any penalties).
    otherwise it's move then hit (vs 44)
    damage: (1d10+4)[6]

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei will give up trying to fight the creature and will try to scramble away from it as quickly as possible.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Downstairs Verik shakes his head, " i have no idea little girl what they face. I was alone in the office, maybe the "aethyr" has snapped your friend's mind." he snarls back, unimpressed, angry and in pain. His eyes staring daggers at the two other prisoners bound beside him, before his eyes look to the slaughter room down the corridor (where you were fighting) and his face pales slightly

Upstairs Andrei scrambles back, avoiding the snake's tiny fangs as Cassian and Cieranoth push into the room. Both of them swinging blades with brutal efficiency as both land a flurry of blows on the weird metallic snake that splits into 3 chunks before dissolving into a strange oily gluey mess as its dispatched efficiently

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

I understand, you are in deeper than you ever wanted to go. But, we can try and work this out.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

When the snake disappeared, Ciraneoth looked at the others.
    "What the hell was that," he asked, "and how did it get here?"

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Indeed - was there a trap of some sort?" Cassian asks Andrei. Then, noticing that the mage is somewhat worse for the wear, he asks: "How are you holding up? Were you bitten? Any signs of the creature being venomous?"

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei is going to lie on the ground until he gets his breath back. 'I think that was a Rakasha.' He's honestly not sure where to begin explaining what that was. 'A Fiend of sorts to you. Whatever it was doing here it was using illusion to hide itself. How it might have been influencing the people here I cannot say. I may know a little more then the rest of you but I'm hardly an expert.' Andrei was feeling increasingly out of his depth. 'We might wish to consult the Academae directly about this.' As for the possibility of poison, 'I can't exactly say that I feel fine, but if I take a turn for the worse I would appreciate it if someone finds me a priest.'

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

With the immediate threat dealt with, Winifred steps out and gets the cart ready

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

At mention of the snake-like dagger Verik merely shakes his head. "I do not know, she gave me the dagger as a gift. I do not consort with demons" he bellows, clearly irate at the suggestion that he might. "Melliya gave it to me along with the money for the food for the poor." He stops to stare daggers at the other men, "But I do not know what they did and I had no hand in it, by Aroden I swear on it." Whether or not you believe his please in front of the now relatively large assembled crowd you can haul him and the two other men into the cart.

The crowd is sullen, most watching you with fear or dislik, and there is an angry murmur as they begin to realise that this will mean no more cheap cuts of (they assume animal) meat and a few stones or clods of mud begin to be thrown in your driection. A stout woman, with long brown hair and a filthy shawl over a filth dress stomps towards you, tattered wicker basket in hand. "Oh, you..." she shouts, "Where you taking Mister Verik and his lads? Whats wrong eh... The Queen run out meat for her nobles fancy feasts now... going to take even more from us common folk". Behind her the crowd jeers in response, a few spitting towards you. And one shouting "Let him go..." a chant that is soon taken up by many in the crowd.

The woman steps closer until she is right up to Cassian's face, "Yeah, talking to you noble boy. You and the lackeys of that bitch's guard. You let him go, he been feeding us, without him me and my bairns will starve... Whats he done, left the guards when they are so corrupt the rick just buy their way out eh.."" Spying Winifred she spits, "Traitor, you should know better, you should be here with us."

OOC
    How will you defuse the possible riot or a fight with a crowd of irate innocents

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"These men have been deceiving you," Ciraneoth shouted to be heard over the crowd, "they sold you human meat. They have been murdering and selling you the meat as if it was pig or suchlike. And for that they deserve to be brought in front of the judges. If you don't believe me, I'll lead a few of you inside, so you can see for yourself. Just a few, mind you."

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks at Ciraneoth and Andrei, Andrei get in the cart, rest of you have all the papers? she turns her attention to the small box with money, I'm not here to steal from you. This is your money, take it back.

At which she tips the contents of the box onto the ground, hopefully precipitating a mass scramble, and in the process giving them the opportunity to leave.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-12-04 at 07:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Andrei is going to lie on the ground until he gets his breath back. 'I think that was a Rakasha.' He's honestly not sure where to begin explaining what that was. 'A Fiend of sorts to you. Whatever it was doing here it was using illusion to hide itself. How it might have been influencing the people here I cannot say. I may know a little more then the rest of you but I'm hardly an expert.' Andrei was feeling increasingly out of his depth. 'We might wish to consult the Academae directly about this.' As for the possibility of poison, 'I can't exactly say that I feel fine, but if I take a turn for the worse I would appreciate it if someone finds me a priest.'
    "That is worrying to hear. Verik doesn't seem like a man who'd be familiar with sorcery and fiends, but he has consistently spoken of a 'her' who has been aiding him in his work here. Perhaps this woman is the source of this "Rakasha"," Cassian muses before they return below to help with the prisoners.

"These men have been deceiving you," Ciraneoth shouted to be heard over the crowd, "they sold you human meat. They have been murdering and selling you the meat as if it was pig or suchlike. And for that they deserve to be brought in front of the judges. If you don't believe me, I'll lead a few of you inside, so you can see for yourself. Just a few, mind you."
    Cassian holds up an empty hand to show the woman he means no harm. "Peace, madam, and listen to the elf. He speaks the truth - go inside and see."

He begins to speak further, hoping to defuse the situation and offer the crowd some hope, but is distracted as Winifred dumps the box full of money in front of the crowd...

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Winifred looks at Ciraneoth and Andrei, Andrei get in the cart, rest of you have all the papers?
    'Gladly.' Andrei will get up into the cart where he could see Verik. 'Whatever happened here, you certainly don't look like a man who deals with Fiends. This Melliya, who is she?'

Show

Charm test if it helps
    Vs. Fel 45
    (1d100)[38]

Magical Sense to check that Verik isn't hiding anything
    Vs. Wp 51 (+10 aetheric attunement)
    (1d100)[54]

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Verik looks at Andrei as the crowds' shouts and the jeers are distracted by excited shrieks and shouts as they start fumbling on the muddy stones for the coins. "Meilya, she is a kindly woman, of a noble house. It was she who sought me out and we agreed to start this butcher to help the people." Shaking his head he watches sadly the crowd scrabbling and fighting in the filth for the scraps of copper.

With the crowd distracted its easy enough to drive the car out of the narrow maze of streets and soon enough as you rumble through the streets, streets getting busier as despite the riots and the violence and unrest crowds are still in the main market district seeking food, drinks and other essentials as all of you do note that there is still empty spaces where stalls are missing or stalls with largely empty shelves and tables.

Maybe an hour later the cart rolls back into the courtyard of the guard barracks and the guards at the door surround the cart and grab the prisoners, treating them none too gently as they are dragged out the back of the cart and kicked down the cobbles before being dragged into the cells. EVen as that is happening Marshall Kroft appears from her stables and walks quickly across the cobbles. "You are back, and with prizes in tow! How did you get him so quickly?" she asks

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We found out where they resided and we just paid them a visit," Ciraneoth said, "it wasn't a very nice sight, that I can tell you. The rest I think we best tell you in a more private setting, although I do think that rumours will be in the town very soon. Oh, some of them need medical attention, at least more than I could give."
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-12-12 at 11:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred bows slightly to the Marshall Milday, Ciraneoth is an extremely good shot and as a result Mr Verik is in severe need of attention and the other two not much better.

Two hostiles killed during entry, we have a few documents.

Suggest we continue debrief somewhere more private

She is also interested to see how Verik and the Marshall react upon seeing each other
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-12-12 at 11:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[52] Academic Knowledge: Heraldry/Genealogy 41 on "Meilya"

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I concur with my colleagues, Marshall Kroft," Cassian adds. "And Andrei here could use some medical assistance as well," he says, indicating the wounded apprentice.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Verik looks at Andrei as the crowds' shouts and the jeers are distracted by excited shrieks and shouts as they start fumbling on the muddy stones for the coins. "Meilya, she is a kindly woman, of a noble house. It was she who sought me out and we agreed to start this butcher to help the people." Shaking his head he watches sadly the crowd scrabbling and fighting in the filth for the scraps of copper.
    'How unusually pleasant of her.' Andrei replies acidly. 'I don't suppose you have an address for this woman so we can thank her for her generosity?'

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    "You are back, and with prizes in tow! How did you get him so quickly?" she asks
    'Oh we just had to ask nicely.' Andrei is also trying to watch the Marshall.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Croft looks at the party and their unstated approach before grinning. "Well done, I am impressed. I shall get these men taken to the cells and treat the worst of the wounds. but first you must be treated" she says looking at Andrei and bellowing for a corpsman. Gesturing to the her office in the converted stable she beckons you all to sit, pausing just once to look at verik, "You'll hang Verik, not just for the treason...". Verik for his part sneers back at the Marshall, "You have betrayed the City Croft, you'll see the city burn in flames with that hag as queen.." he is cut off before he can finish the sentence as one of the guards kicks his injured leg eliciting a hiss of pain.

Spoiler: Andrei
    Show

The corpsmen bandages your wounds treating the injuries with a healing balm that recovers (1d10)[9] wounds

Cassian, ruminating on the name Meliya is struck by what he remembers, even as he thinks he is distracted by the sudden clink of a bag of coins thudding onto the desk. "here is a reward for him, 50 crowns, newly minted ones at that..." she adds, the last said with a slight edge. Looking in the bag you can see the 50 shining golden coins, each stamped with the likeness of the young pouting queen.
    "I am impressed you dealt with that very fast." SHe grins, pouring ale for all of you and handing you the rough wooden tankards, "If you would be willing I have another job for you."

Spoiler: Cassian
    Show

Meliya is the younger sister of Bahor Arkona, the current scion and Lord of House Arkona. The Arkona's are on of the ancient familes of Korvosa, of exotic Vudran ancestry they have resided in Korvosa for some 350 years. Now they are viewed as the virtual rulers of the island of Old Korvosa, their Palace atop Endrin Isle at the end of old Korvosa. They have long been viewed as rivals of Illeyosa and the now dead king and if rumours are true are also heavily involved in the organised crime guilds of the City.

Without waiting for your assent or dissent she presses on, "I am shortmanned, the city is in chaos and now we have an issue with the Cheliaxian ambassador. My old friend and mentor Vencarlo Orisini (a renowned teacher of sword play) knows the details. Please head to his school and tell him I sent you. Also," she tosses you a second heavier bag, "After Vencarlo speaks with you, you'll understand. This is for a bribe, not for you, you understand. My thanks, now I must be about my duties. "