New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

Yes Ma'am, Verik was most adamant that he knew nothing about human flesh and that he was supported by a Lady Meilya.

Also the group seems to have been rather popular in the local area, so we made a hurried exit.

Did get hold of some documents though.

And once your corpsman is done with Andrei I got a little banged up too

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Very well mylady," Ciraneoth said, before turning to the others, "you guys know where this school is?"
    He hadn't been in the city all that long and actually he preferred to be outside, but that's where he was right now and he would have to roll with it.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    "After Vencarlo speaks with you, you'll understand. This is for a bribe, not for you, you understand. My thanks, now I must be about my duties. "

Andrei will interject before they are dismissed. 'Ma'am, I don't suppose you have any Academae graduates on your staff? There was a Rakasha living in Verik's building. We put it down after it tried to kill me, but I don't think Verik was even aware that it was there. I feel like some more expert knowledge might be welcome so that we can find out what the hell it was doing there.'

He will otherwise accept the healing with thanks.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Mmm, yes, there is likely more to this matter than meets the eye, Marshall," Cassian mutters in agreement with Andrei. "If Verik is telling the truth, he was supported in his endeavours by a wealthy woman of noble birth named Meliya. Indeed, according to his account, she sought him out. I know of only one noble who bears that name - Meliya Arkona, younger sister of Bahor Arkona, the current lord of that house. I am sure you're aware of their somewhat unsavory reputation, and also that they have a history of rivalry with both the Queen and the King before her."

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

The marshall looks at them all, pausing now and then as corpsmen tends to the varied wounds applying bandages and foul smelling poultices on the gashes from the fight in the butcher's yard. "A rakasha you say..." then blushes a little, "I don't even know what that is. But from your expression it must be some sort of fiend or vile creature. If that is the case then all to the better that it is destroyed. I do not have any of the Acadamae in the ranks, but I do know Magister Vorin, a magister of the fire he calls himself. I will send a messenger to him and ask him of this matter."

Then turning to Cassian she nods, "Troubling indeed. The Arkona are powerful, and old. One of the oldest noble families in the city. With no evidence of wrong doing, giving money to the poor is no bad thing, I cannot move further, but keep your eyes and ears open to see if they are further involved. I will inform her majesty and Sabina (the Queen's bodyguard and leader of the grey maidens) to be even more wary than normal of the Arkonas.

For now though, please sit with the scribes and allow them to pen your reports. You all look exhausted and the day is getting late. Vencarlo can wait till tomorrow when you are rested. His school lies in the old garrison on Old Korvosa. Its just by the Endrin Military academy. Please though, I beg of you, even though the Arkonas Palace is near leave them be until we have evidence." As she speaks she glances out of the windows at the evening twighlight slowly descending and you can already see a couple of squads of the Watch gearing up with clubs and stout shields and heading out the gate at the trot. "You are welcome to bunk here for the night if you have nowhere safer to sleep?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you milday, that is most generous Winifred will write her own report and play close attention to the conventions and methods the scribes employ before retiring

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Thank you," Ciraneoth said. He would too give his report to the scribes before having something to eat and then sleeping.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

On the Rakasha, 'It was using illusion to hide itself. I know only enough to want to know more. I would be most interested in hearing what this Magister Vorin has to say.'

"You are welcome to bunk here for the night if you have nowhere safer to sleep?"
    'Thankyou milady. I'm not sure I could make it anywhere else at the moment.'

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A bunk in the barracks will be fine, Marshall, and I'm well aware of the power of House Arkona. Rest assured, I seek no unnecessary conflict with them," Cassian assures the marshal.

(Obviously Cassian also lets the scribes write down his report before he retires for the evening)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

The evening passes restfully, for you at least. A shared room above the stables with 6 stout beds and access to the canteen where barrels of water and ale stand ready along with a great tureen of spiced fish stew and platters of zouma beans (like cous cous) are there to feed you..

As you are left to your own devices you hear the night shift heading out, alarm whistles and the sounds of rioting from all over the city and the bells of numerous fire watches and churches ringing in alarm. Climbing to the higher levels of the barracks you can gaze out across the city and see the flames rising from the docks, the palace square and old korvosa and the sounds of screaming and rioting echo in the night as the moons shine down and the shadows of sable company griffins criss cross the night sky.

Are you happy to leave the night watch to deal with riots and then start fresh in the morning?

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks morosely over the scene, seeing if any wounded are coming back or reinforcements from other shifts going out Well this isn't going to be over in a hurry, if it was there would be a case for trying to help, as it is this is going to last more than tonight I fear and we have an important task tomorrow
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-12-25 at 07:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, if they want us, they can ask," Ciraneoth said, "otherwise I'm going to stay here."

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Quite," Cassian agrees. "We have already done the Marshall and the city one service today, and we have been contracted to run more errands tomorrow."

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei still looks sick but is starting to improve with rest. He agreed with the sentiment of not going out unless there was a specific point to doing so. 'Well I certainly wouldn't go out there alone. Hopefully anyone who is actually in danger from all of that has the sense to get the hell away from the rioting.'

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

The night is long and full of shouts, screams and alarms. Throughout the night the guard are busy, a constant stream of men running out with increasingly heavy arms and the occasional squad coming back either with wounded town guard balanced on trim off doors or strings of bloodied toughs and thugs dragged back in chains and manacles

The city is a seething pot of chaos and riots spread across the city and seem to engulf all the districts, although worse in the richer ones where the mobs seek to damage and destroy. The Great Vault of Abador glows in the night, a golden warding surrounding it and a crackling dome of electric arcing lightning seems to surround the Acadamae. The Hell Knight Order is also quiet, even the mobs unwilling to approach the black stone and sharp battlements

As dawn breaks across the city the sounds of rioting fades and the city seems to take a breath. The exhausted night guards collapse and filter into the barracks as their day watch companions ready arms and shields and get ready to clean up some of the chaos. From the red rimmed eyes of the night watch it’s clear that they have lost more companions.

You join the day shift in the mess hall, the guards nodding in a distant if friendly way and can eat your fill of porridge sprinkled with dried fruits and weak mead.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred will eat and sit quietly, leaving the guards to themselves but adressing the group, So, what do we know about Vencarlo Orisini or the Cheliaxian ambassador?

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Not much," Ciraneoth said between bites, "if anything at all. I'm not really an ambassador type of person."

After breakfast he did try to ask the guards what had been going on/was still going on.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

to know something about Vencarlo Orisini or the Cheliaxian ambassador: common knowledge (1d100)[54] vs 25 (half INT) in case it's a common knowledge thing

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Meant to move this to the ooc

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Winifred will eat and sit quietly, leaving the guards to themselves but adressing the group, So, what do we know about Vencarlo Orisini or the Cheliaxian ambassador?
    Lets roll for that
    Common Lore vs. Int 53

For Orisini
    (1d100)[85]

And the ambassador
    (1d100)[80]

I presume the thing about Cheliax being ruled in alliance with actual Pit Fiends is something everyone knows?

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

As you breakfast and get a few respectful nods from the fellow guards you consider what issues the Chelixian ambassador may have gotten into. from the common knoweldge you have that Cheliax is the large and powerful Empire to the South that has garnered much of its power from its alliances with Devils and the forces of the Nine Hells. Although you wonder if the ambassador may be involved with Queen as Illeosa was originally from Cheliax and if rumours are true has long bemoaned Korvosa as a poor shadow the grand cities of the Infernal Empire.

As for Master Vencarlo Orisni, he is well known amongst the nobilty as a gifted duellist, and a blistering critic of the goverment. Old old Chelish blood his house is an old and proud, if small one. As a teacher of fencing and swordplay he is well connected and Cassian is aware that Cressida Kroft (before her adventuring days) was actually one of his pupils and is possibly why she would trust him so much. His is missing 2 fingers on hs left hand, a more recent loss and if rumours are to be believed sustained in a duel of honour over the love for a woman and a duel with a rival for her affections.

--

the walk to old korvosa is a long one and stinking one. Heading noth from the garrison its long wakl up the wester docks avoiding the fish mongers and the crowds of dock yard thugs and tenders still refusing to work as they gather in large corwds drinking even at this early part of the morning you soon leave the docks, the written missives from Masrhall Kroft easily able to garner passage through the guard's checkpoints in the North Point District. From there its faster, North Point filled with more wealthy houses and shops still open, though looking wary before you decsend the hill into the packed streets of Ridgefield where the houses are piled three stories high and women gossip and children scream and play in the packed streets and all manner of gossip about King Eodred's deformed brother being stored in a pickle jar, to Blackjack the vigiliante vanishing but coming back or the Hell knights of the Nail are planning to overthrow the Queen and take the city. Passing through Ridgepoint you reach the narrows where dozens of rickety bridges and some decrepit stones cross the narrow spit of water where the Jeggare river curves around the small island that forms old Korvosa. The bridges are thick with graffiti, old posters for various causes and temples and now beggars, shabby peddlar's carts and filth strewn cobbles. the guars are nowhere to be seen and the bridgefont slums stretch out as you have to walk through the filth of humanity and squalor to reach the

Please all make perception/alertness skill checks as you walk through the slums

the old walls that line the top of the hill are holed in dozens of places and you all know that under the walls and hills are rumoured to be all manner of criminal enterprise and you wonder at why Vencarlo keeps his school here. His school when you reach it is a well appointed two storey building with stout stone walls and a tiled roof and welcoming double doors bearing his coat of arms atop them. As you approach you can see a young dandy on the door who watches you cautiously, a hand on the hilt of his rapier. He gazes at the four of you, "Good morning to you all. What brings you to the House of Vencarlo, the greatest duellist in all of Korvosa." Then after looking shabby nature of you all, "I doubt he will take the likes of you on as students, its a very exclusive school."

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred feels a lot happier to be about and out, picking her way through the puddles, debris and detritus and putting out her best "I am woman of the people so leave me alone but also I can handle myself so don't try anything" energy.

She sizes up the dandy on the door, idly thinking about seeing how good he really is, but puts the foolish thought to the back of her mind for now and keeps her hands well away from her weapons.

Good morning to you sir. No, I do not seek to study here, my swordsmanship is of a more pragmatic and practical school and less formal and academic.

Perhaps later

We are in the employ of Marshall Croft and she has sent us here to see your master

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d100)[93] Perception 41 + 10 if hearing
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-12-30 at 06:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth followed the group, watching out as he didn't like to be in these packed cities. He preferred the outdoors, the forests, but he would do what needed to be done. This did mean he was on guard. He kept silent as Winifred explained their mission to the guard at the door. He was quite sure he could take him out, but diplomacy was preferred at this moment.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d100)[58] vs 49 (59 if it's sight as I have the excellent vision talent)

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I don't think any of us are seeking to become Master Orisini's students at this time," Cassian adds, but otherwise nods in agreement as Winifred states their business.

OOC
    Perception test (1d100)[1] vs. Int 36

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Walking through the Narrows

Its Cieranoth and Cassian's sharp eyes, Cassian even more so as they spot the guttersnipes and beggars with nimble hands pressing for your belt pouches and kick them away before anyone loses anything. Cassian also spies the two toughs lurking in the alley mouth and bares half a foot of steel and the thugs, after looking at the party offer Cassian something of a wry grin before slining back into the shadows.

At the School

THe guard on the door looks over you all before offering a nod, "Very well, you may enter, although I warn you the master is a in a poor mood today." Stepping aside he ignores most of you save an appraising look at the sword at Cassian's waist and opens the doors revealing a large hall within, the floor neatly covered in reed mats and a variety of straw dummies by the walls along with dozens of training and sparring baldes hanging on the walls. A trough of fresh water stands near the door and a viewing gallery runs around the first floor. Doors on the far side led further into the school.

Currently you can see an old man with greying hair, neat leathers and an impressive grey moustache standing watching as a half dozen children of the nobility (all young men with foppish curls and fine silks) and barking curt order with a sharp chelish accent as he massages the silver filigree hilt of a fine looking rapier at his waist. As you enter he looks up in surprise before of offeringa low bow and curt nod to the oldest of the men there to continue the class.

"Oh ho, good morning my friends. I suspect from your somewhat serious demanour and the weapons that you seem to be toting you are the specialists that young Kressida spoke of?" Approaching he offers a small bow to Cieranoth, Cassian and Andrei before taking Winifreds hand and offering a gentle kiss and much over bow. "Madam, and gentleman, I am Vencarlo Osirini, duelist and master of blades."

Proffering to one of the doors at the back of the room he pulls out a chair for Winifred before sitting on the far side of the desk that is covered in neat piles of paper, several books on politics and a open book with a ink pen nearby where he is drawing sword forms and making careful notes. "Greetings, I shall ring for water and wine" he adds ringing and small silver bell and converying polite instructions to a young serving girl that pops her head in.

Once a tray with glasses of water and fine crystal glasses of red wine have been delivered he begins. "Ah, my fine heroes, or at least if Kressida is true to her word. We have more strife that we need assistance with, strife that could drag us into war if it is not headed off neatly." Taking a sip of the wine he runs a hand through his long silver hair before continuing. "The trouble involves a Darvayne Gios Amprei, currently Ambassador from the Infernal Empire of Cheliax to Korvosa. The man is uncouth ad whilst enjoying the seamier sides of the city his disdain for our fair city knows no bounds and recently he had been writing to Queen Abrogail's Court in Egorian to recommend trade sanctions, if not a full trade embargo. Something that would cripple our fair city and drive it even further into riots and unrest."
    He shakes his head sadly, "Clearly this is not acceptable. But it is worse my friends! He plans on not only crippling trade but when the economy collapses he would buy large portions of the city estates and properties and establish himself in power before relaxing the sanctions and allow the devil scaled hand of Cheliax an iron grip on our city."

Pausing he pats his sword. "We cannot kill this fool, much as I would like to do as he would merely be a martyr but he has follies does Master Daravyne. He is indebted to a dangerous man named Devargo Barvasi, a dangerous criminal and vice lord who owns an establishment known as "Eels End, you may have heard of it? Well Devargo is the King of Spiders, but he pays his vice taxes to the city and so is safe from interference, mores the pity. But I suspect Daravayne is involved in somewhat dubious activites with Devargo, you have gold with which to bribe the spider, use it and the danger to the city to get the King of Spiders to talk. If we can implicate Daravayne in any trouble or anything illegal the shame will cost him his position in the city and I know from my agents that his potential replacements are more favourably disposed to Korvosa. One more thing, if Devargo causes trouble and should fall on a sword then I would not be upset, though not till any proof of Daravaynes wrong doing is exposed. ""

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

Very well, you may enter, although I warn you the master is a in a poor mood today."

Well maybe we can brighten his day

+++++++++

Winifred will happily let her hand be kissed and curtsy in turn, whilst also trying to ascertain from his demeanour if he is this gallant all the time or specifically interested in her

"Well met Master Osirini, I am Winifred Couper, Mistress only of dodging the drunken advances of tavern patrons, for now anyway".

She takes the offered chair with as much grace as she can muster and sips wine and water as he talks.

Some questions if I may Maestro.

Any particular reason for his dislike, or just Korvosa is not Cheliax?

You can put us in contact with Devargo Barvasi or we have to go find him?

And if he were say to accidently shoot himself 38 times whilst cleaning his crossbow would that also be acceptable?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[34] Common Knowledge 41

(1d100)[70] Heraldry/Genealogy 41

Last edited by wilphe; 2021-12-31 at 10:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"And I am Cassian of House Escalante," Cassian introduces himself with a formal bow. "In addition to Miss Winifred's questions, may I ask how you came to be involved in the affairs of the ambassador?"

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei is lost in thought on the trip over to the school. Whatever the problems were with the Cheliaxian ambassador what kind of defences would a dignitary from that country have access to.

He does perk up when Osirini introduces himself, 'I am Andrei Petran, late of the Academae. If this Daravyne has debts perhaps he's hoping to pay them off by enriching himself off the backs of the locals. I have to wonder how worried he might be if this little ploy doesn't work out. I would also wonder how much trade Cheliax actually carries out with Korvosa. You might expect there to be other voices who benefit from the trade status quo and who might be encouraged to influence the Queen in the other direction.' Perhaps that was a job for actual courtiers though.

Something had struck Andrei even as he was talking, 'May I ask how you know all this? Is Daravyne overly public with his intentions or do you happen to know someone close to him whose talking behind his back?

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Winifred consider things and asks some questions and she thinks on the "Spider King" of the Narrows (so actually the piers on Old Korvosa so not too far away). She has heard of him, most people have, a renowned crime boss runs his ship based emporium of vice (Eel's end) with casino's, companionship and Shiver dens, the Spider King responsible for the distribution for much of the narcotic through the city. Though he is wily and if the rumours are true too many of the guard in his pocket to bring him down.

As they ask the questions of Osirini the fencing master takes sip of the wine and look at them with a keen eye. "Hmm, bold ones, and cautious. A useful trait for ones helping Kressida with her of the books work. I know Daravayne from both court, some business dealings and mutal family links. Some here and some from old Cheliax. He hates Korvisa as he believes it should not be free and should be subject to the whims and laws and Egorian and its that I supsect is the eventual goal. If we chase back the money he is planning on using I suspect it will lead back to the Nine-towered palace." He pauses and looks at a dented rapier hanging on the wall. "I also have a personal matter to settle with Daravayne, though that is none of your concern."

At the question of Devargo he smiles, "I make it y job to keep an ear out for the moving's of powerful underworld folk like the King of Spiders, and Daravayne has some weaknesses where shiver is concerned. Ones that should they be true and should he have run up significant debts may prove sufficiently embarrassing for him.

I do not Devargo personally, only by reputation, but he was a savage brute, veteran of the pits and now runs his own blood sports for the desperate with little recourse to the civilized rules of duelling. I suspect he will be in his nest somwhere. Especially given the recent unrest. He will not like it as it will cost him business. "

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

I make it y job to keep an ear out for the moving's of powerful underworld folk like the King of Spiders

Winifred smiles knowingly,

I see, you take pupils for that too?

she looks at her companions

Its still before noon, I surmise Devargo sleeps during the day, so perhaps we should run some errands and check the Eel's end say late afternoon / early evening

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth kept silent and kept looking around. This was an interesting environment, but he wasn't sure all this politic stuff was for him. He could watch out for his comrades though while they did the talking.
    "Good idea," he said to Winifred, "I could do with a shield for instance. I'm sure I can find one in this city."
    He did manage to not make city sound like cesspool.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

"If we chase back the money he is planning on using I suspect it will lead back to the Nine-towered palace."
    'If that's true that would be worth knowing, and possibly valuable. As long as we can manage to keep the actual Chelaxian government at arms length.' Andrei will grin to himself at Winifred's enthusiasm. 'What are the chances that Devargo is at all patriotic? Perhaps he has his own opinions about Daravayne trying to advance Cheliax's interests behind everyone's back.'

On errands, 'I do need to pay the Academae a visit if only to see where I stand with them.'