New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Then let us hope the three hanging from the rafters stay dormant," Cassian answers Ciraneoth with a shudder. "As for this muddy hellhole, I hesitate to suggest it, but if we cannot find Gaekhan's body elsewhere, we may have to resort to picking through the leavings in here..."
    Let us hope it does not come to that; in any case that would seem too - mundane -
    a death to bind his spirit?
    she looks at Andrei being somewhat out of her depth here

I am not of a mind to tarry there and count and I would be tempted to kill those beasts in the rafters if we could do it quietly.

Otherwise let us pass through here swiftly and silently
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-05-17 at 06:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Although more common in the swamps nearby Andrei has heard of the beasts before, the fat looking insects, all in the cage (whether fluttering or hanging from its roof), are known as Stirges. Blood draining insects that ins sufficient numbers can drain a human dry in moments leaving a pale bloodless husk.

Leaving the blood covered tables in the ill named "exsanguination chamber" you head further east climbing up the few small steps and into what is clearly a more ancient section of the barrow where the walls are of layered stones and the walls and ceilings are of dark stone tiles. Entering from the south western corner you enter a long corridor some 50ft long and 10ft wide. THe walls and ceiling ae encrusted with dozens of yawning skulls, their mouths open into dark holes in the walls and the ceiling covered in more of them that stare down with empty eye sockets. At the far end on the eastern wall you can see a door leading inexorably deeper into the barrow.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

So what do we think, traps or ambush or both?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"My vote is on both," Ciraneoth said. he looked around for a small stone and after making sure everybody was well back, he threw it into the corridor, just to see what would happen.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

To Winifred somewhat uncertainly, 'I don't think there are hard and fast rules. I would say it's better to have what remains of Gaekhan if we have nothing else.' On the Stirges, 'Agreed, there might be more of those things around then we can see.'

At the corridor, 'I'd like to think they would consider the constructs we met on the way in to be enough, but I don't think we're that lucky.' Andrei is going to play close attention to the skulls just in case there was any sign that something was going to attack them.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Necromancy question. Do you need someone's body to summon their ghost?
    Academic Knowledge (Magic)
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[32]

On the corridor
    Perception vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[94]

Magic Sense vs. Wp 51 (+10 Aetheric Attunement)
    (1d100)[1]

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Traps and monsters? This really is a den of evil," Cassian sniffs.

If Ciraneoth's stone fails to set off any traps: "Should we assume the passage is safe then? Or do we perhaps need something larger and heavier to trigger a trap? We could always fetch one of the dead derro and toss it into the corridor," he suggests.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

The stone rolls down the corridor and doesn't suffer any ill effects, bouncing noisily along. But although the stone does not produce any effects for Andrei he reaches out looking for the winds of magic he can see a pair of the skulls coated in the dark swirls of shysh and dhar, the taint of necromancy almost strong enough for him to taste. He realises that those two skulls, although looking inert are charged with necromantic power and likely will be "alive"...

Those two skulls he realises are likley attached to moving bodies and currently are some 10-11 yards away....

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

There you are. Andrei will point out the skulls. 'Get close enough and I assume they'll go for us. At least there seems to only be two of them.'

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

Can we shoot them from distance first?

10. - Top - End - #880
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Arrows won't do much against skellies," Ciraneoth said as she switched to sword and shield, "actually the best way to get rid of them is with hammers I think."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

Not much is not the same thing as nothing.

I would rather whittle them down a bit before we have to melee

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Do you think they'll react to dead flesh, or is it only the living that draws their attention?" Cassian asks Andrei in a muted voice. "Because if they react to anything coming into the corridor, my earlier suggestion may still have merit..." he trails off.

OOC: I.e. fetching a derro corpse and throwing it into the corridor first so that we can attack the skeletons(?) when they come out to beat up the dead body.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Do you think they'll react to dead flesh, or is it only the living that draws their attention?" Cassian asks Andrei in a muted voice. "Because if they react to anything coming into the corridor, my earlier suggestion may still have merit..." he trails off.

OOC: I.e. fetching a derro corpse and throwing it into the corridor first so that we can attack the skeletons(?) when they come out to beat up the dead body.
    'I would honestly be surprised if the magic that animated them was sophisticated enough to tell the difference.' Andrei will think that one over. 'In any case I have to agree with Winifred. Hitting the skulls at this distance won't be a problem. Perhaps we could see how well they work without a head.'

Show

To try and answer Cassian's question
    Academic Knowledge (Magic) vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[13]

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

You want to go get one I won't complain, what do you think Long Knife?

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Andrei considers Cassian's question and think back on the teachings in his shysh classes about forbidden magics and realises that the undead do not see as we see, instead seeing the light of "life" blooming within a person, so that throwing a corpse down the corridor would likely be ineffectual as it doesn't have that spark of vitality that the undead are driven to despise. Everything else merely being shadowy shapes to them

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

'Unfortunately I think the Derro would need to still be alive for it to make a difference.' Andrei will take out the wand. 'So perhaps I should try and see how effective this thing is.' He'll look between Cassian and Ciraneoth, 'Be ready. One of you would be better at dealing with anything I manage to wake up.'

After waiting for acknowledgement Andrei will try and get the wand working before targeting the closest active skull.

Show

Channeling test to attune to the wand
    vs. Wp 51 (+10 Aetheric Attunement) (+10 Derro Necklace)
    (1d100)[59]

5+ to cast (4+ for channeling?)
    (1d10)[1]

Any damage
    (1d10+2)[10]

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

Well let's try mundane methods

Winifred aims carefully and sends an arrow downrange

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[9] BS51
    (1d10)[1]+3

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth stood ready with shield and sword if any undead would come up to the group.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Alright then - fire away with all we've got, and Ciraenoth and I will stand ready to receive the first charge if they survive," Cassian replies. Hefting his sword and shield, he joins Ciraneoth in forming a front line to protect the archers.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

The wand hisses and crackles and nothing happens as Andrei tries to activate the power within it, power writhing around it as it fails to do anything. Winifred is more effective as she fires an arrow that its the skull on the walls 10 yards away and bounces off. Even though it appears to do very little the skull rears into life, slithering out of the wall on a long spinal tail like a skull headed serpentine snake beast. Its joined by the second one in a clatter of bones seconds later

Both necrophidus are 10 yards away.

Please make WP tests for Fear
    All players may take an action

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Show

(1d100)[91] Fear 46

(1d10)[5] Init +4

I should stop being right about these things.

Winifred watches in terror as these unravel and plop into the corridor
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-05-28 at 12:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth thought he had seen quite a few things, but undead snakes was something new. He was so surprised at the speed with which they moved that he wasn't incapable of moving.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian raises his sword and shield in defence, but his legs won't obey and he stays glued to the spot as the creatures uncoil...

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

With our brave heroes rooted to the spot the insidious snake skeletons writhe and wriggle on the floor briefly before rolling over and spying the heroes. Despite the lack of lung a hissing noise can be heard that sounds like a whispering "blood...fresh life...". Then with a sudden surge of speed both slither rapidly, tails and bodies moving in a sinuous wave as they scuttle to Cassian and Long Knife who both stand rooted to the floor in fear and horror

Both snakes take a run action to reach you guys
    WP test again, this time with a +10 as its 2ndround

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Show

(1d100)[26] WP56

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth tried to move, but the movement of the snakes didn't make his fear go away, on the contrary. He couldn't do nothing but stand there, mesmerized by the undead snakes.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The danger posed by the advance of the skeletal serpents enables Cassian to snap out of it and he gamely steps in front of his companions to protect them. Sword in hand, he slashes at the first monster to get close.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Full action: Swift attack (1d100)[80], (1d100)[3] vs. WS 52
    Damage (1d10+4)[8], (1d10+4)[8]

Ulric's Fury if applicable
    (1d100)[6], (1d100)[22]
    (1d10)[1], (1d10)[4]

Pre-emptive Parry with shield (1d100)[16] vs. 62 (WS 52, Defensive +10)
    Pre-emptive Dodge (1d100)[57] vs. 34 (Ag 44, mail -10)

Wounds remaining: 13/13
    Fortune Points remaining: 2/3

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred feels like time has slowed to a crawl as she cannot move, but she snaps out of it to engage the other monstrosity

Show

Ready Weapon
    Attack
    (1d100)[34] 41
    (1d10)[7]+3

(1d100)[53] Dodge 47

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ettin in the Playground

As before Andrei is too distracted by the dhar on display to focus properly.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Long knife leaps forward with Cassian, his faer also broken as he joins with the young knight in training and Winifred to shield the others, sword and axe swinging down hard. His axe hitsthe spine of the first undead snake beast and chips bone from it dealing some damage as Cassian smashes it in the head for a decent blow although its bony nature makes it hard going, something atht Winifred finds as well as she chops at her one also sending loose a shower of bone chips

The two snakes hiss loudly, one diving forward at Cassian and the other at Winifred seeking to wrap around her legs and crush the life from her. However Cassian manages to ward off the skull snake with shield and even though it wraps around her legs Winfred is able to slip free before she is constricted.

N1: Aim and Bite Cassian (1d100)[58] TN44+10 (1d10+4)[11]
    N2: Grapple Winifred (1d100)[44] TN 54, Winifred agility (1d100)[26] if fail Ag test then it constricts (1d10+4)[6] and you need to try and escape
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-06-06 at 05:12 AM.