Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

Evelina Ardei, Mercenary of the Nail
    Sheet

Mercenary
    Player: Deadguy

Evelina wielded the polearm in a manner similar to a spear, thrusting the sharpened point at the terrible man with quick stabs. Hopefully, being skewered would take some of the fury out of the raving lunatic.

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show

Full Action: Swift Attack TN 46 (+10 outnumbered) (1d100)[51] (1d100)[23] - Fast (-10% parry / dodge)
    Damage: (1d10+7)[16] (1d10+7)[11]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Lamn is like a ferret trapped in a sack slicing and hacking with the short blades like a madman, spittle spraying from his mouths as he threatens all manner of pain and suffering upon you all. In the frenzied attack Cassian and Winifred leap back, fending him off as the savaged attack puts off their swings forcing them on the defensive. As Andrei hops out the way Evelina wastes no time in stepping nin with two brutal thrusts from the halberd.

The first is the most savage, catching Lamn in the face and near shearing of his lower jaw, the man screaming in horror at the ruin of his face, the misery is shortlived as she lunges again, this time the spike skewering his chest ripping into his lungs and chest as he collapses screaming into mess on the floor, thrashing weakly, legs kicking and drumming on the floor before he at lies still....
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred watches dispassionately as the man who has been such a presence in their lives and ruined so many others breathes his last - she makes no effort to finish him off but once he is finally still quietly speaks.

Is everyone ok?

She then bends over and searches his body

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d100)[22] Search 41

Maybe he'll have the key to that box, clothes don't look like much but I guess the orphans can use them

Show

(1d100)[1] Evaluate 20

If any of the clothes are worth something

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei breathes out slowly and looks down in distaste at Lamn's body. 'Can't say he didn't deserve it for all that I would have preferred it if we took him alive.' Andrei would rather get his name cleared first, but maybe Lamn had left records or had accomplices who knew his business. He'll go and see if the ledger was even readable.

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Winifred watches dispassionately as the man who has been such a presence in their lives and ruined so many others breathes his last - she makes no effort to finish him off but once he is finally still quietly speaks.

Is everyone ok?
    'Better then him.' Everyone still seemed to be standing. 'He's dead but what are the chances that more of his people will show up here at some point, or might have issues with us as the people who ended him. Everyone should try to be careful at least for a little while.'

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, well whatever we do find here and hopefully it's something worthwhile let's not be seen spreading it around straight away? But let's find it and get it out of here first. she watches Andrei check out the ledger, And I would also like to look at that and examine any trail to link Lamm to my ****ty cousins
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-03-14 at 02:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I'm fine," Cassian answers Winifred. "And well done," he says with a nod of appreciation to Evelina. "Gaedren Lamm will never blight anyone's life again."

"I wouldn't worry much about any associates of Lamm showing up. I dare say that we dealt with most of them upstairs and now that he's dead, there's no profit in seeking revenge on his behalf. Unless of course you believe there's such a thing as honour among thieves," he says to Andrei with a harsh laugh.

Having said his piece, he moves over to inspect the fly-ridden hatbox. "This had better be a forgotten luncheon," he mutters, covering his mouth with his sleeve as he gingerly tries to flip the lid off with his sword.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei is less optimistic, 'I can't see anyone caring enough to take this personally. Certainly not after I've met the crazy old bastard. But if I was a crime boss I'd say it'd set a bad example to allow just anyone to kill one of them. I'd might give people ideas.'

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

"Gaedren Lamm will never blight anyone's life again."

If we want to be completely sure of that we should cut off his head, stuff his neck with holy wafers, drive a stake through his heart or whatever. Hire a priest to do the job properly. she shrugs

"This had better be a forgotten luncheon,"

Good job I had that lizard before we came. Wonder if I could sell that guy Ol'Gobbleguts out there. Damn this guy had a lot of blood in him

But if I was a crime boss I'd say it'd set a bad example to allow just anyone to kill one of them.

Well you might be just anyone, I don't consider myself that way. We are a salutary reminder that one does not accumulate enemies like a crazy old lady accumulates cats. Hopefully we have thinned the herd enough to allow space for some less evil.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-03-15 at 02:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Flicking through he ledger Andrei can see that although is written in Varisian its also written in a style of code. The lists of numbers and names (even if nonsense due to his code) Andrei quickly realises that this must be a good find and list of all of Lamn's criminal activities and possibly his related allies and rivals in Korvosan underworld!

Cassian approaches the box and gingerly flicks the lid back. He blanches at the vile sight within. He recognises, impossibly the sight as Zelleara's head! Her long hair and sharp features now slack with rot. A half dozen cards, bizzarely the same cards you had each carried when you met her wedged in her mouth. From the condition she has been dead for weeks! The shock confusing young Cassian

Spoiler: Cassian
    Show

An easy (+20) WP test or gain 1 IP

The rubbish and detritus does carry some values as Winifred searches and looks around. She unearths some very nice pieces....
    • A narrow teak cigar case inlaid with jade
    • A 1lb golden bar inlaid withe Devil of Cheliax
    • A steel sceptre ~1 foot long wiha golden crown
    • A fist sized whale tooth scrimshaw carving of a kraken
    • A silver ring bearing the inscription "For Emmah, the light of my night"
    • A highly realisic carving of two entwined succubi
    • An abalone shell holy symbol of Selyn
    • An oily flask that to Andrei smells coppery with the swirling winds of Chamon
    • Lamn's dagger that is excepttionally sharp and in a strange shape almost like a key wih an inscipion reading "For an inspiration of a father" (BC Dagger, +5% WS, gains fast quality)
    • An elaborate brooch of a house drake and an imp (two pests that infest the roofs of the cities noble dsitricts) coiled like yin and yang in heavy gold with a large garne and amethyst as eyes

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    [COLOR="#8B4513"]If we want to be completely sure of that we should cut off his head, stuff his neck with holy wafers, drive a stake through his heart or whatever. Hire a priest to do the job properly. she shrugs
    Andrei grins at Winifred, 'I'm game if you are.' He'll pass her the book, 'This might be worth holding onto if we can work out how to read it. I can't see Lamm sharing the code with anyone though.' The detritus and assorted valuables made him sad, 'How many of the people who use to own this stuff do you think he fed to his pet?'

Spoiler
    Show

Can I identify what's in the flask that smells like Chamon
    Academic Knowledge (Magic) vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[93]

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Gods! What devilry is this?" Cassian cries out as he stumbles away from the hat box. "This can't be! It's...it's the soothsayer, but we were with her just hours ago!"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Sheet

Mercenary

The one-eyed mercenary cleaned and stowed her weapon first, before inspecting anything else. Her equipment was her life-blood. Once that was complete, she had begun to inspect the objects the others had already found, but was interrupted by Cassian exclamation.

She moved to the basket and looked at the severed head, tucking a loose strand of hair back behind her ear as she did. "By the looks of it, she's been in this condition for some time..." She made a warding sign against witchcraft out of habit and stepped back.

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show

Inspection of items & head: Magic Sense TN 45 (1d100)[51] / Perception TN 49 (1d100)[84]

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred retrieves the duplicate of the card she got and puts it in her pocket, she's not entirely sure that's a good idea exactly but it seems appropriate, Rest in peace Zelleara - we got him. she looks at the Holy Symbol, Well I guess we've got a way to pay a priest to look after her. We should take her with us, not leave her here.

The ingot she takes, puts on the ring, sticks the dagger in her belt and briefly examines the broach before sticking it on the inside of her coat along with the Holy Symbol.

We can divvy this up later, right now I just want to get the most portable pieces ready to go in case we get interupted

Show
    (1d100)[50] Heraldry and Genealogy 41 to see if it is anyone's badge

Then she looks for some not too bad clothing and uses that to pad the inside of the cigar box and adds the scrimshaw and the succubi. The scepter she places by the side before turning her attention to the strongbox, cautiously examining it

Show
    (1d100)[92] Search/Perception 41

I hoped I'd find a key on him, but didn't.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian stares at Andrei, flabbergasted at the calmness of his response. "Ye gods, man! What's the matter with you? This is the head of a woman who mere hours ago set us on the path to finding and finishing Lamm, but from the state she's in she's been dead for weeks! So who sent us on this mission? Who read the cards for us? Doesn't that worry you in the least?!"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

At Cassian's exclamation Andrei, who was distracted by the ledger, will go over to see for himself. 'Oh.' Zelleara appeared to have been another victim, but under the circumstances Andrei couldn't help but be interested in the mystery. 'I have seen odder things in my time at the Academae. I wonder if she was a practitioner?' He didn't think many regular spirits were in a position to arrange vengeance on their own murderer but perhaps he needed to speak to an expert. 'I don't want to appear cold, but whether we spoke to a ghost or not I don't think she steered us wrong.'

Spoiler
    Show

I was going to wait till Cassian said anything. Aiming for Amethyst magic so maybe this attitude is appropriate.

Magic Sense on the head
    vs. Wp 51 (+10 Aetheric Atunement)
    (1d100)[45]

Search for a key for the box
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[84]

Academic Knowledge if Lamm had a non-crazy reason to keep a soothsayer's head in a box
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[45]

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

I had already expected that if we went back to that address afterwards we'd find that it was as if she'd never been there in the first place. So that, she gestures at the box, is creepy and disturbing, and weird, but today was already creepy, disturbing and weird.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

'I don't want to appear cold, but whether we spoke to a ghost or not I don't think she steered us wrong.'

We need to get out of here alive and in one piece before we start saying that. Could she have been someone else? An illusion or a shapeshifter? In any case now is not the time to discuss that

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

As you all search the room the keys you found on his belt help open up some of the boxes allowing you to find some of the jewels and expensive looking items. WInifred examines the massive brooch and realises (at the same time as Evelina who spies it) that this is not just a nice brooch but one that belonged to Queen Illeosa herself! How Lamn came to possess such a piece you have no idea but it will be worth a fortune and a death sentence at the same time (or a great reward if handed back!).

Its Cassian who recognises the strange key shaped dagger, it looks much like the daggers used by the Key-lock-killer, a notorious serial killer who slaughtered over 15 people before vanishing a few years ago. You doubt that Lamn was the murderer but its a strange thing to possess.

Whilst the others look to the valuables Andrei and Evelina look at the head. Its clearly been there for several weeks and someone (you would assume Lamn or one of his crew) has added some make-up after death to try and keep her looking fresh. Even as you consider the head and what/who you may have met earlier today the potion is distracing. Its Andrei who reads the subtle heavy swirls of Chamon and realises that it will add some weight and strange sharpness to a weapon smeared with the oil

Spoiler: Oil of Keen Edge
    Show

Magical oil, smear on a weapon = for 20 minutes that weapon gets Impact and Armour Piercing [1] qualities

As you looks around, the ledger looks it will need some study your thoughts are distracted as you hear a faint rumble that does not sound like thunder and a faint noise of screams and the roar of a mob carry in from the open door leading to the docks. You realise that the riots have intensified!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Grab what you can and finish up here, we need to get out.

If we get separated meet up at the Twisted Drum - they know me there.

She stuffs her pockets with as much as she can carry and heads back to the skiff

Also I should mention I am pretty sure this broach belonged to the Queen, so I suggest that Cassian set up a way to return it

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei looks at the head with disgust but will leave it alone. 'Whatever the truth of what happened earlier I would honestly prefer it didn't happen a second time. For now I'm not sure what we can do about it.'

He will pass Cassian the oil as a peace offering after explaining what it was capable of. Then he'll help Winifred carry anything valuable out of here but only the ledger really matters to him.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We can make sure the poor woman receives a decent burial, so that her spirit may rest in peace," Cassian answers Andrei. "It's the civilized thing to do. As for the various baubles, put them in your packs and let's be on our way. We just need to make sure the rest of Lamm's henchmen are properly dealt with as well."

He gingerly replaces the lid on the hat box and rustles up a length of twine to tie it shut, then gingerly lowers the box into his empty backpack. "As soon as we're out of here, I'll be going straight to the Pharasmans with this, no matter what's going on outside. Can I count on you to have my back?" he asks the others.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Well "no matter what" is a bit of an open-ended commitment, so while I agree to see her properly taken care off there is a point where discretion is the better part of valor.

Also what were you planning on telling them when they ask who she is and how we got hold of it?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"The truth, obviously," Cassian answers calmly. "We disposed of a vicious crime lord and discovered the head of one of his victims afterward. It is the Pharasmans duty to see to it that the dead are remanded to the afterlife, so even if we tell them that we were apparently first contacted by the Zellara's ghost, they should be more than happy to see her earthly remains properly buried."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Good. So much easier to keep our story straight then.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "We can make sure the poor woman receives a decent burial, so that her spirit may rest in peace," Cassian answers Andrei. "It's the civilized thing to do. As for the various baubles, put them in your packs and let's be on our way. We just need to make sure the rest of Lamm's henchmen are properly dealt with as well."
    'It's the least we can do.' Andrei hoped Zellara's spirit was aware enough to appreciate the sentiment. 'Given the riot that seems to be going on outside I think I would rather stay together for the moment. If it'll help I'll back up your story.'

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Sheet

Mercenary

Evelina kept her polearm at the ready. The sounds outside were enough to put her on edge, especially with the amount of reclaimed items they would be hauling about. She glanced at Cassian, shrugging at his thoughts of bringing the body to the priests.

"Dead is dead and she can't pay for this work." The seer was able to see into the future, so it almost made sense she'd be able to send a message from the grave. That didn't mean Evelina liked it. She would most definitely need to report it to the Nail once things had calmed.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"She never offered us payment in the first place, so that's academic," Cassian replies. "Now, if you'll all just do me the favour of dividing up the valuables for transport*, I'd like to get a move on out of here. This head isn't getting any fresher," he notes calmly.

*I'm assuming that's possible, pending clarification from DrK in the OOC thread.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

I should point out that all of us were selected because we had good reasons to want this scumbag out of the way and that a good deed is it's own reward. But if we are so concerned about money help me get the rest of these chests open.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

The rest of the chests have little in the way of valuables, mainly being filled with assorted junk that Lamn had accumulated over the many years of criminality. Heading back up to main floor you can hear the roar of the crowds in the city as you realise that the entire city seems to have gone mad! As you look out he doors you can see multiple pillars of smoke and red glows from areas all across the city.

By the palace you see a flight of the dreaded Sable Company Marines on their fearsome hippogryphs circling and plunging into the crowd. And by the ancient school of the arcane and eldritch glowing dome reaches high into the air, occasionally crackling with arcane power as something impacts it. In the streets you can see mobs roaming up and down the waterfront, many with heavy clubs and shor blades bared! The occasional shout of "The king is dead, down withe Queen", "Kill the rich bast***ds, burn 'em out..."

As you pause clustered in the slurry chamber you can glance around the space, and wonder.... where do you go now in this evening of madness

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Well this is where we free his associates and bid them farewell, unless anyone has any objection?

If there is not Winifred will cut their hands loose but leave them to deal with their feet, Lamm and Gobbleguts are both dead. You are welcome to whatever we didn't take. After that I suggest you go home and rethink your lives