New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Nevermind

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Nevermind

Edit: question answered. Threads not got a point anymore.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2020-12-30 at 12:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Nevermind

This is now a grunge thread.

I rewatched Buffy a while ago, and it reminded me of a truth about music: only the memorable parts get remembered. Buffy has a lot of mediocre grunge music in it, all of which has faded out leaving only memories of Nirvana and local truly awful bands in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    This is now a grunge thread.

I rewatched Buffy a while ago, and it reminded me of a truth about music: only the memorable parts get remembered. Buffy has a lot of mediocre grunge music in it, all of which has faded out leaving only memories of Nirvana and local truly awful bands in my head.
    I'm not familiar with Buffy's soundtrack, but if it's like a lot of other 90s shows the original soundtrack was later replaced with bland nothingness for music licensing reasons. I found the changes to Beverly Hills 90210 particularly painful in this regard since that show would have episodes where music played a pretty key role. So it's hard to get a feel for actual 90s music by watching currently-available versions of 90s shows.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I'm not familiar with Buffy's soundtrack, but if it's like a lot of other 90s shows the original soundtrack was later replaced with bland nothingness for music licensing reasons. I found the changes to Beverly Hills 90210 particularly painful in this regard since that show would have episodes where music played a pretty key role. So it's hard to get a feel for actual 90s music by watching currently-available versions of 90s shows.
    Interesting! I did not realize they were retconning the music on streaming services.

I wonder if the old vhs tapes have the original tracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Interesting! I did not realize they were retconning the music on streaming services.

I wonder if the old vhs tapes have the original tracks.
    I haven't checked streaming services for Beverly Hills 90210 specifically, but the last time I caught it in reruns (on Pop a couple of years ago) they were using the same terrible edits and music replacements as the DVDs did. Since that's what the reruns are using, I'd assume that's what streaming is also using. If anyone knows what streaming service currently has Beverly Hills 90210, I can quickly determine if the music was replaced by checking a few key bits of certain episodes and I could also talk someone else through how to do that if it's a streaming service I don't have access to and there's sufficient interest in finding out specifically. (I am no help with Buffy as I didn't watch it at the time.)

(I taped quite a bit of Beverly Hills 90210 off-air back in the 90s, but I was using Beta tapes and also it was fuzzy reception since it was on channel 49 and I was taping from broadcast rather than cable, so I was trying to replace my recordings with something higher quality and less difficult to find a player for. I was extremely disappointed in the DVDs because of the music thing, and then tried to DVR the show in reruns and it was the same terrible replacement music.)

Beverly Hills 90210 and Babylon 5 were probably the two most important shows of the 90s for me, which probably says something about me, but it may not be something particularly flattering. I'm a sucker for long-running plotlines, I guess? (Babylon 5 definitely had the better ending, and they BOTH had issues with the DVD releases that meant I kept my tapes, although B5's DVD release is watchable enough that I'll re-watch using it because I'm lazy.)