Colossus in the Playground

Default Eldlich The Golden Lord [Monster]

Eldlich The Golden Lord
    Large Undead, Lawful Neutral

Armor Class 24 (Golden Garb)
    Hit Points 490 (40d10+240)
    Speed 40', Fly 60'

Strength Dexterity Constitution Intelligence Wisdom Charisma
    22 (+6) 22 (+6) 22 (+6) 30 (+10) 30 (+10) 30 (+10)

Saving Throws Constitution +12, Intelligence +16
    Skills Athletics +12, Sleight Of Hand +12, Arcana +22, History +22, Investigation +16, Religion +22, Insight +16, Perception +16, Deception +16, Intimidation +16, Persuasion +16
    Damage Resistances Cold and Force damage
    Damage Immunities Necrotic and Poison damage; damage from non-magical and non-blessed weapons
    Condition Immunities Poisoned
    Senses Darkvision 300', Passive Perception 26
    Languages Yes
    Challenge 25

Spells Known
    Several of Eldlich's abilities allow him to cast spells. He may cast any appropriate spell from the following list, with a save DC of 18:
    -Armor of Agathys (1st)
    -Bane (1st)
    -Fog Cloud (1st)
    -Misty Step (2nd)
    -Crusader's Mantle (3rd)
    -Dispel Magic (3rd)
    -Elemental Weapon (3rd)
    -Major Image (3rd)
    -Slow (3rd)
    -Axiomatic Weapon* (5th)
    -Blade Barrier (6th)
    -True Seeing (6th)

Spoiler: *Axiomatic Weapon
    Show
    Deals Force damage instead of Radiant.

Magic Resistance
    Eldlich has advantage on saves against magic.

Spell Absorption
    Any time a spell concludes its effects within 120' of Eldlich (including instantaneous and countered spells) he immediately regains HP equal to two times the level it was cast at. Cantrips are treated as being cast from a half level slot, restoring 1 HP.

The Golden Lord
    Whenever Eldlich does damage to a target, they lose a number of GP worth of belongings equal to the damage taken. What is taken is in order of liquidity-coins and trade goods first, followed by harder to move things.

Actions

Golden Gun Ranged Weapon Attack
    +15 to-hit, range 250'/1,000', one target. Hit: 2d10+9 magical piercing damage, 2d10 necrotic damage, and 2d10 cold damage.

The Lord's Hand Melee Weapon Attack
    +12 to-hit, reach 10', one target. Hit: 4d6+6 magical bludgeoning damage, 2d6 necrotic damage, and 2d6 cold damage.

Spell
    Eldlich casts any spell he knows, at any slot level up to 6th.

Dismissal
    Eldlich terminates a spell effect he is concentrating on, as well as anyone affected by it. Each target that was still affected by the spell must make a DC 18 Constitution save, suffering 5d10 necrotic and 5d10 cold damage on a failed save, and having their max HP reduced by the same amount. A successful save halves the damage and completely ignores the max HP loss.

Extra Attack II
    Eldlich makes three Golden Gun attacks, as well as casting a single spell or using Dismissal.

Bonus Actions

Spell
    Eldlich casts any spell he knows that is 3rd level or less, from a up to a 3rd level slot.

Reactions

Rebirth
    Eldlich uses Counterspell from a 6th level slot. If the spell was countered successfully, each of his physical stats raises to 30 until the end of his next turn (increasing his Golden Gun and The Lord's Hand attacks by +4 both to-hit and to-damage), and gains resistance to all damage for that same period. Do not recalculate HP even though his Constitution increases.

Legendary Actions

Eldlich The Golden Lord can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Eldlich regains spent legendary actions at the start of their turn.

Regain Reaction. Eldlich regains the use of his reaction.
    Attack. Eldlich makes a Golden Gun or The Lord's Hand attack.
    Spell (1-3 Actions). Eldlich casts a spell at a slot level no higher than the number of actions spent.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-01-02 at 04:30 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Eldlich The Golden Lord [Monster]

That monsters quite looks like the kind of stuff you have to swarm down hard in order to not die.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    That monsters quite looks like the kind of stuff you have to swarm down hard in order to not die.
    Yeah-no AoE abilities on him.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Yeah-no AoE abilities on him.
    That and very strong counters to individual creatures: counterspell as a reaction and crazy single target murdering firepower.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Initial comments: I was surprised to see how few immunities Eldlich has, especially to conditions. I can understand wanting to allow players to use cool abilities on a boss, but I don't think immunity to exhaustion would be amiss, especially for someone who is undead.

Under Damage Immunities, what do you mean by "non-blessed weapons"? Is there a way to bless a weapon that I'm unfamiliar with?

Calculating Challenge:

Defensive - I'm getting 30.

Hit points give him a base of 22. Spell Absorption likely bumps his effective hit points by 30 per round just from his own spellcasting, plus probably another 30 per round from PC spellcasting. Over the three rounds the DMG gives as the assumption for most fights, that's worth another 180 hit points. This obviously gets better the longer the fight lasts. He's up to 26.

Rebirth's resistance to all damage is hard to measure the worth of. I'm going to say that's worth another +1. Now he's up to 27.

His high AC bumps him up to 29, Magic Resistance bumps him up to 30.

Offensive - I'm getting 30.

His damage output with his Golden Gun should be 276 damage each round, if Rebirth is active. If it's not, he can likely make up that damage from effects like Armor of Agathys dealing damage to melee attackers. Add 55 damage from one Dismissal, assume it hits two characters (110 damage) and divide that extra damage over three rounds and Eldlich has a damage output of 312 each round. That puts him at Challenge 30.

Average Challenge: 30

Tactics: His gun plus his high movement rate make kiting tactics attractive. The sheer firepower his gun gives him makes the option to fire with it as a Legendary Action the most likely option.

As we saw in the fight we ran against him, only about half of his spells are going to see use. Slow, Armor of Agathys, and Misty Step make up the bulk of his casting, with Fog Cloud, Dispel Magic, and True Seeing being much more circumstantial. Having more long range, multi-target spells besides Slow would help him make use of being able to cast a spell as part of his attack.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    Initial comments: I was surprised to see how few immunities Eldlich has, especially to conditions. I can understand wanting to allow players to use cool abilities on a boss, but I don't think immunity to exhaustion would be amiss, especially for someone who is undead.

Under Damage Immunities, what do you mean by "non-blessed weapons"? Is there a way to bless a weapon that I'm unfamiliar with?

Calculating Challenge:

Defensive - I'm getting 30.

Hit points give him a base of 22. Spell Absorption likely bumps his effective hit points by 30 per round just from his own spellcasting, plus probably another 30 per round from PC spellcasting. Over the three rounds the DMG gives as the assumption for most fights, that's worth another 180 hit points. This obviously gets better the longer the fight lasts. He's up to 26.

Rebirth's resistance to all damage is hard to measure the worth of. I'm going to say that's worth another +1. Now he's up to 27.

His high AC bumps him up to 29, Magic Resistance bumps him up to 30.

Offensive - I'm getting 30.

His damage output with his Golden Gun should be 276 damage each round, if Rebirth is active. If it's not, he can likely make up that damage from effects like Armor of Agathys dealing damage to melee attackers. Add 55 damage from one Dismissal, assume it hits two characters (110 damage) and divide that extra damage over three rounds and Eldlich has a damage output of 312 each round. That puts him at Challenge 30.

Average Challenge: 30

Tactics: His gun plus his high movement rate make kiting tactics attractive. The sheer firepower his gun gives him makes the option to fire with it as a Legendary Action the most likely option.

As we saw in the fight we ran against him, only about half of his spells are going to see use. Slow, Armor of Agathys, and Misty Step make up the bulk of his casting, with Fog Cloud, Dispel Magic, and True Seeing being much more circumstantial. Having more long range, multi-target spells besides Slow would help him make use of being able to cast a spell as part of his attack.
    I think the actual challenge is lower because the creature have few ways to deal with huge hordes and at that level most adventurer can bring hordes to the table (even fighters if they are willing to spend some of their cash on mercenaries and willing to have them suffer heavy causalities: the recruitment pitch would contain "we are going against the golden lord and I know it is essentially suicide and most of you will die")
    Last edited by noob; 2021-01-14 at 07:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

You know, I think I forgot to calc in his Legendary Actions. That'd explain my mis-math in his CR.

For the blessed weapon, that's just kinda an out for DMs who don't like handing out magic weapons, or PCs who want to bring goons into the fight. There's no set mechanics for that, but I figure some inexpensive (to an adventurer) ritual could bless weapons for a day or so.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

I think the actual challenge is lower because the creature have few ways to deal with huge hordes and at that level most adventurer can bring hordes to the table
    Sure, any fight gets easier if you bring loads of creatures with you. Eldlich may only have a few ways to deal with hordes of creatures, but the ones he has are potent.

Blade Barrier can provide an element of control, can deal enough damage to kill creatures with low hit points, and can boost his effective AC if creatures have to attack him from the other side of it. Slow + Dismissal can deal an average of 55 damage to six creatures. That's an efficient way to chew through the health of stronger summons. Even his fly speed of 60 feet acts as a good deterrant to hordes because so many of them are ground-based melee attackers.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    For the blessed weapon, that's just kinda an out for DMs who don't like handing out magic weapons, or PCs who want to bring goons into the fight. There's no set mechanics for that, but I figure some inexpensive (to an adventurer) ritual could bless weapons for a day or so.
    Gotcha. Thanks for explanation!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

good deterrant to hordes because so many of them are ground-based melee attackers.
    Only bad hordes are ground based melee attackers.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

Only bad hordes are ground based melee attackers.
    Could you perhaps give some examples of what you see as typical hordes that PCs could bring to the table? I suspect we're working with much different definitions of what constitutes a horde for high level PCs.

Here are some examples of what I would expect PCs to have for hordes at high levels:

• ~100 skeletons and zombies under the command of a Necromancer Wizard
    • 10-25 berserkers summoned by a Horn of Valhalla
    • 16 challenge 1/4 beasts summoned by a druid with Conjure Animals
    • 10 Tiny objects animated by a spellcaster with Animate Objects

The last two would be especially vulnerable in a fight against Eldlich because he could break the caster's concentration. None of these are particularly threatening to him, so I'm interested to see what thoughts you've got about hordes that make them a more dire threat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Could you perhaps give some examples of what you see as typical hordes that PCs could bring to the table? I suspect we're working with much different definitions of what constitutes a horde for high level PCs.

Here are some examples of what I would expect PCs to have for hordes at high levels:

• ~100 skeletons and zombies under the command of a Necromancer Wizard
    • 10-25 berserkers summoned by a Horn of Valhalla
    • 16 challenge 1/4 beasts summoned by a druid with Conjure Animals
    • 10 Tiny objects animated by a spellcaster with Animate Objects

The last two would be especially vulnerable in a fight against Eldlich because he could break the caster's concentration. None of these are particularly threatening to him, so I'm interested to see what thoughts you've got about hordes that make them a more dire threat.
    You can give shortbows to your skeletons because it is in their "standard" stat block right?
    And recruiting mercenaries grants ranged mercenaries if you pick them(ex: you tell them that you will not recruit them if they are not willing to use bows).
    And summoning beasts as a druid is a bad idea if the gm picks because the gm might always pick things that are not useful for the situation.
    Wizard on the other hand now use tiny servants unless they are necromancers or abuses simulacrums in which case they use dolls(since they do not have to pay the life cost of creating them)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-01-14 at 05:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGuy

You can give shortbows to your skeletons because it is in their "standard" stat block right?
    And recruiting mercenaries grants ranged mercenaries if you pick them(ex: you tell them that you will not recruit them if they are not willing to use bows).
    Wonderful, we've got similar ideas for possible hordes.

Giving them ranged weapons is a good addition. Let's use a horde of mercenaries with bows as an example for the sort of horde we could expect players to bring to fight Eldlich and see what changes would be needed in order for him to effectively deal with them to keep his current challenge rating.

Blade Barrier will do an excellent job of cordoning off the horde and reducing the effectiveness of their attacks. If they attack him from the other side of it with their bows, he will have three-quarters cover, pushing his AC up to 29. The only attacks that should be hitting him at that point are criticals. I'd consider walling off a horde as "dealing" with it. He can heal from casting spells faster than they can damage him if they only hit on a natural 20.

Now, he doesn't have a great way to deal damage to many of them at once while they are cordoned off like this, so I could see him needing an ability to deal damage in an area. Maybe an Ice Storm reflavored as a hail of gold coins would work? I can imagine him using The Golden Lord to steal the PCs' gold and then causing it to rain down upon them.

13. - Top - End - #13

Eldlich The Golden Lord
    Large Undead, Lawful Neutral

Armor Class 24 (Golden Garb)
    Hit Points 490 (40d10+240)
    Speed 40', Fly 60'

Strength Dexterity Constitution Intelligence Wisdom Charisma
    22 (+6) 22 (+6) 22 (+6) 30 (+10) 30 (+10) 30 (+10)

Saving Throws Constitution +12, Intelligence +16
    Skills Athletics +12, Sleight Of Hand +12, Arcana +22, History +22, Investigation +16, Religion +22, Insight +16, Perception +16, Deception +16, Intimidation +16, Persuasion +16
    Damage Resistances Cold and Force damage
    Damage Immunities Necrotic and Poison damage; damage from non-magical and non-blessed weapons
    Condition Immunities Poisoned
    Senses Darkvision 300', Passive Perception 26
    Languages Yes
    Challenge High

Spells Known
    Several of Eldlich's abilities allow him to cast spells. He may cast any appropriate spell from the following list, with a save DC of 18:
    -Armor of Agathys (1st)
    -Bane (1st)
    -Fog Cloud (1st)
    -Misty Step (2nd)
    -Crusader's Mantle (3rd)
    -Dispel Magic (3rd)
    -Elemental Weapon (3rd)
    -Major Image (3rd)
    -Slow (3rd)
    -Gold Storm* (4th)
    -Axiomatic Weapon* (5th)
    -Blade Barrier (6th)
    -True Seeing (6th)

Spoiler: *Reflavored Spells
    Show
    Gold Storm functions as Ice Storm, save that it deals 6d8 magical bludgeoning instead of a mix of bludgeoning and cold.

Axiomatic Weapon functions as Holy Weapon, though it deals force damage instead of radiant.

Magic Resistance
    Eldlich has advantage on saves against magic.

Spell Absorption
    Every time a spell concludes its effects within 120' of Eldlich (including instantaneous and countered spells) he immediately gains twice its level in Spell Points. Cantrips are treated as a half-level spell, granting 1 Spell Point. Eldlich can use these Spell Points with various abilities, and has no maximum. When initiative is rolled, Eldlich begins with 12 Spell Points. Eldlich cannot gain spell points from spells he casts.

The Golden Lord
    Whenever Eldlich deals damage to a target, they lose a number of GP worth of belongings equal to five times the damage taken. Belongings taken are in order of most liquid (coins, trade goods, etc.) to least liquid (rare and coveted magic items, unique art objects, etc.).

Master Of Magic
    Eldlich is not restricted in how many spells he may cast a turn, or what actions are available to be cast with. Additionally, he knows what spell is being cast by anyone in his presence.

Spoiler: Spell Identification Note
    Show
    I was gonna do Xanathar's 15+Spell Level DC Arcana check, just allowing him to do that once per spell without a reaction. But that would only have a chance of failure with 9th level spells, and it'd be 1/20. So not worth the time to roll it, methinks.

Actions

Golden Gun Ranged Weapon Attack
    +15 to-hit, range 250'/1,000', one target. Hit: 2d10+9 magical piercing, 2d10 necrotic, and 2d10 cold damage.

The Lord's Hand Melee Weapon Attack
    +12 to-hit, reach 10', one target. Hit: 4d6+6 magical bludgeoning, 2d6 necrotic, and 2d6 cold damage.

Cast
    Eldlich casts a spell, costing a number of Spell Points equal to its level.

Dismissal
    Eldlich ends a spell he is concentrating on, regaining any Spell Points spent on it. Additionally, any or all of the affected targets can be subject to a DC 18 Constitution save, taking 5d10 necrotic and 5d10 cold damage on a failed save, as well as reducing their maximum HP reduced by the same amount. A successful save halves the damage and completely ignores the HP loss.

Extra Attack II
    Eldlich makes three attacks in any combination of Golden Gun, The Lord's Hand, or other attack actions. He may, additionally, use the Cast or Dismissal action at any point this turn.

Bonus Actions

Cast
    Eldlich casts a spell, costing a number of Spell Points equal to twice its level.

Empower
    Eldlich gains three Spell Points.

Absorption
    Eldlich casts Dispel Magic from a slot twice the level of the number of Spell Points spent.

Reactions

Rebirth
    Eldlich casts Counterspell from a slot twice the level of the number of Spell Points he spends. If the spell is successfully countered, each of his physical stats raises to 30 until the end of his next turn (increasing his hit and damage on his attacks by +4 each). Do not recalculate HP for increased Constitution.

Legendary Actions

Eldlich can take three legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Eldlich regains spent legendary actions at the start of their turn.

Regain Reaction. Eldlich regains the use of his reaction.
    Attack. Eldlich makes a Golden Gun or The Lord's Hand attack.
    Cast (1-3 Actions). Eldlich casts a spell, spending three times its level in spell points for one action, twice for two, or equal to its level for three actions.

Spoiler: Note On Absorption and Rebirth
    Show
    Yes, he can cast a level 2 Dispel or Counterspell. That is intentional.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

RogueGuy

Oh, hey, you used the hailstorm of gold idea! Cool!

With the switch to spell points, was the intention that Eldlich would not be able to cast the spells on his list out of higher level slots?

The use of spell points in combination with Spell Absorption results in really interesting design in that Eldlich will have comparable casting abilities to whatever party he faces. If they cast a ton of spells, he will too. If they don't, he won't. I don't think I've seen a creature that automatically adjusts to a party's capabilities like that before.

15. - Top - End - #15

Oh, hey, you used the hailstorm of gold idea! Cool!

With the switch to spell points, was the intention that Eldlich would not be able to cast the spells on his list out of higher level slots?

The use of spell points in combination with Spell Absorption results in really interesting design in that Eldlich will have comparable casting abilities to whatever party he faces. If they cast a ton of spells, he will too. If they don't, he won't. I don't think I've seen a creature that automatically adjusts to a party's capabilities like that before.
    It's intended he upcasts based on SP spent.

So a Bane cast with 1 SP as an action is 1st level. He can upgrade that to a 2nd level Bane by spending 2 SP, or 3rd level with 3 SP, etc. etc.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Re-opening for critique, as I want to use this bad boy again. Use the statblock from post #13, not the first post, for your critiques please. :)

Show
    Show

Show