New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2021 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Taking another level in death master. I don't get much except now I have 1 bab. This means I can draw a weapon as part of my move action. I've gotten quite adept at making bottles over this past year, so maybe it is so.
    What a year 2020 was. I didn't respond at all in 2020 due to some family drama. Came out of 2019 as a single father, rolled into 2020 and got myself a reality check. I don't know if I'm level 3 Death Master or Level 4 Death Master, but my undead minion had better start chipping in soon. Almost a year unemployed now; thank Orcus that my family and the gov has provided during this crazy year. Hoping that things get better sooner so I can get a job again. Anyone around [Karrnath] looking for a novice (not so much now eh?) [necromancer]?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

@Troacctid Does Mage Armor or Inertial Armor provide any layer of protection against microbes?

Will edit this later once I get my hands on a computer.

Telepath 6
    > new power (body purification): considering recent events, I don't want to get caught with my pants down and suddenly take more CON damage than I can naturally heal; sure, we already got vaccines, but it doesn't hurt to have more protection these days
    > other new power: pending
    > new feat: expanded knowledge [clairvoyant sense]
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    @Troacctid Does Mage Armor or Inertial Armor provide any layer of protection against microbes?
    As much as regular armor, I imagine.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Another artificer level, and happy New Year!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Unless some shadowy organization decides to kidnap all the spellcasters and control them to take over the world.
    Imprisoning a T1 caster when you have no access to antimagic isn't exactly easy.
    And it's not like you have to tell anyone. I certainly wouldn't. Even without shadowy organizations i'd rather not kick off a new age of witch hunts.

As for those who want to go cleric or something to start openly healing people, well, they know what they're getting into. And publicity is its own form of defense i suppose.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    If you're basing your decision on responsibility druid is at least as valid as cleric, considering the state of the world. And druids aren't that much worse at healing.
    Good point.

As for Cloud Anchorite it's not actually that difficult to become immortal as a T1 caster so there really isn't much point. It's not like you'd be prevented from climbing a mountain to meditate if you choose another class.
    I don't know that there are many, really. Most talk about undeath and polymorph. Just removing aging seems to be very rare. What options were you thinking?

And yeah, going back to the Himalayas sure sound nice right now.

And i can't really see any reasonable argument to choose something with no magic anyway. If you don't want to bother with learning and preparing spells i could see an argument for psions, but that's about it.
    I never really liked playing casters (though my first long term character was a cleric), and I can see that being the case IRL. I like feeling powerful and capable. Spells, especially the prepared variety, never feel like something *you* do. It's kind of like having a handgun VS being in shape. Besides, as I said, all-day capabilities are much more relevant IRL than in D&D.

I'm not really coherent right now, so I'll attempt to make the case again another time, when my mind is more at ease.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    As much as regular armor, I imagine.
    Do any dust/debris/microbes on an inertial armor's surface disappear alongside it when I dismiss the power, or do I suddenly find my unarmored self in contact with these particles? Let's say I test it with dust, cobwebs, grime, dirt, soot, etc.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Do any dust/debris/microbes on an inertial armor's surface disappear alongside it when I dismiss the power, or do I suddenly find my unarmored self in contact with these particles? Let's say I test it with dust, cobwebs, grime, dirt, soot, etc.
    If there's gunk on your force armor, it won't vanish when the force armor does. "Suddenly being in contact with it" is not a great description, though, since the force extends a short distance beyond your skin, so really it would suddenly be in midair half an inch away from you, where it would likely fall onto you or your clothes.

That said, I have to imagine that armor made of pure psychokinetic force doesn't exactly create a lot of friction; would dirt even stick to it? Does it even really have a surface? I don't know. Why do you ask?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Woooo! New Year, new level.

Level 3: +1 Feat, +1 BAB, +1 Clause

Gonna add in a qualities section, since I might forget some things...

Alignment: NE(CN)
    Race: Human(Heart of the Snows)
    Class: Avowed(Weaver Pact) 3
    Attributes: Str 12, Dex 9, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 13
    BAB: +2
    HP: 24
    Feats: Additional Traits, Intuitive Recitation, Silent Recitation, Point-Blank Shot, Power Attack
    Traits: Blood of the Dragon(Low-Light Vision), Pragmatic Polytheist
    Flaws: Light Sensitivity
    Qualities: Heart of the Snows (-1 temp band in cold climates, +2 on fort vs cold climate effects, slipping and falling, and against trip attempts), Pact (Weaver), Clauses, Aether Pulse, Pact Attunement (Climb speed and silk creation with with varied strand types), Pact Sense (nearby spiders and Detect Magic)
    Clauses: I Go Where I Please, Resonant Pulse (M), Vermin Love Me (Spiders)
    Shapes: Aether Bolt I, Aether Breath (cone) I, Aether Burst I

No real change from last year. Was tempted to get a familiar, but decided against it.

Planning on getting more spider-themed clauses and either becoming a master "exterminator" (Read: "guys, you gotta leave or they'll kill you all and they're much bigger than you") or attempt to control/protect a small territory for myself. Hopefully I'll be able to use magic to breed spiders and eventually use them for various means. Additionally, infinite silk means I'll be making a killing with clothing, ropes, blankets, sheets, etc. especially if I can get a farm going via speaking with spiders and giving them free food, water, and shelter in exchange for silk and not have to produce it all myself.

Once I grab Planar Webs, I'll be able to fortify my territory against intrusion by sneaky jaunters, planeshifters, and shadow walkers, both from within and without. With Spider Rider, I'll have an effective mount that will terrify most people who might try to attack me or steal my stuff, on top of being able to summon multiple strong spiders with the Spider Lord clauses to push the fear button just that much harder. I'll easily be able to keep things under good security as well as keep an eye on everyone with Vermin Love Me and My Spider Sense Is Tingling, due to using wild empathy on spiders to get them to use their webs to help secure the area a la security cameras for the hunters and motion sensors for the web builders and sensing through their senses in addition to my own.

Eventually, once I hit the last level I'll probably just seal myself mostly into my demiplane, only really coming out for dnd night, conventions, buying things, and selling/trafficking my wares. Though, if I can find someone to get me some workers that are goblins, chitine, or some other typically kicked around race I'd gladly love to teach them to interact with, farm, and work the spiders well, teaching them weaving, ranching, and other such things either within my territory or within my demiplane.

Now to just decide on a form of immortality...
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2021-01-03 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I don't know that there are many, really. Most talk about undeath and polymorph. Just removing aging seems to be very rare. What options were you thinking?
    Kissed by the Ages is one option, or Hide Life from T&B. Though both are 9th level wiz/sorc spells a cleric can get either via the Divine Magician ACF.
    There's also the option to use Wish to turn yourself into an Elan or Killoren.
    I'm assuming morally questionable options like Steal Life, Ensul's Soultheft and Ioulaum's Longevity are out, though their existence should make using Wish to de-age yourself an option.
    For druids specifically there's always the option of Contingent Spell + Last Breath/Reincarnate, assuming you don't mind the ritual suicide every few decades.

Sure, it's not the easy "just take 10 levels of Cloud Anchorite" option, but that's the price you pay for full spellcasting.

If you're open to PF you could just be a Reincarnated Druid and get reborn automatically. It even does away with the old age restriction iirc.

I never really liked playing casters (though my first long term character was a cleric), and I can see that being the case IRL. I like feeling powerful and capable. Spells, especially the prepared variety, never feel like something *you* do. It's kind of like having a handgun VS being in shape. Besides, as I said, all-day capabilities are much more relevant IRL than in D&D.

I'm not really coherent right now, so I'll attempt to make the case again another time, when my mind is more at ease.
    It's not like you need a D&D class to get into shape, especially if you have healing magic to cure any medical conditions you might have.
    I can see the "don't like casters" argument when it comes to playing a game, but when talking about actually getting the powers yourself it just seems like a waste.

As for all-day abilities being more relevant i would hardly expect myself to be in constant combat or otherwise need it, especially if i keep my abilities to myself.
    For warlocks especially i just can't see myself actually needing their abilities all that often - i don't tend to find myself in situations where the ability to Eldritch Blast someone would help, and their list of invocations is rather limited even before you factor in that you only get a fraction of it.
    Spells/day are only really a hard limit at low levels. Higher level casters get enough spells to easily get through a day even before you factor in various tricks to regain spent slots.

The power and versatility you trade in for that stamina just doesn't seem worth it to me.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Prc time. Hmm. I guess I could change race at this point with Shaper of Form, but being limited to 0 LA humanoids and not getting the ability bonuses... Meh. Maybe later.

Does turn/rebuke other things than undead count for DMM feats?

Anyway, Holt Warden for future domain shenanigans.

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Happy New Year everyone.

First year I've seen this, and I was considering a Magus build since attribute points are limited, but after playing with the numbers, I found there were enough to support 9th level spellcasting...so it will be Wizard for me. Pathfinder, and probably horribly misusing the 3pp material, because the one thing I love most about spellcasting classes is item creation. I am happy with the Downtime system as well. I am the sort who takes a spreadsheet to game sessions.

Spoiler: Me:
    Show

Alex
    Race, Class, and Level: Human (Australian), Wizard (Arcane Crafter) 1
    Size, Type, and Alignment: Medium, Humanoid (human), Neutral-ish
    Init and Senses: Initiative +0; Perception +0.
    AC: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10.
    hp: 5 (1d6-1 HD)
    Saving Throws: Fortitude -1, Reflex +0, Willpower +2.
    Speed: 30'.
    Melee: dagger (-2 melee, 1d4-2 damage, 19-20/x2).
    Ranged: dagger (+0 ranged, 1d4-2 damage, 10' range, 19-20/x2).
    Spells Known/Spells Prepared: 0-level: Acid Splash; Arcane Mark; Bleed; Breeze; Chameleon Scales; Conjurer's Toolbelt; Dancing Lights; Daze; Detect Fiendish Presence; Detect Magic; Detect Poison; Disrupt Undead; Drench; Flare; Ghost Sound; Grasp; Haunted Fey Aspect; Jolt; Mage Hand; Mending; Message; Oath of Anonymity; Open/Close; Penumbra; Prestidigitation; Ray of Frost; Read Magic; Resistance; Root; Scoop; Scrivener's Chant; Sotto Voce; Spark; Touch of Fatigue; Vacuous Vessel; 1-level: Arcane Pocket; Bless Water; Celestial Healing; Crafter's Fortune; Snapdragon Fireworks; Unseen Servant.
    Spells Prepared: Conjurer's Toolbelt; Mending; Prestidigitation; Crafter's Fortune; Unseen Servant.
    Ability Scores: Strength 7, Dexterity 11, Constitution 9, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 10, Charisma 12.
    Feats: Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (craft), Discovery: Arcane Builder.
    Traits: Divine Arcana; Focused Study; Innovative; Spark of Creation.
    Skills: Appraise +10, Craft (calligraphy) +11, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (local) +7, Spellcraft +7.
    Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic, Sign-language.

Biscuit, cat familiar (valet). Named mainly so I could make dad's jokes about eating the cat every time the kids asked for a biscuit...

Future build notes: max advance in spellcraft and K(arc), splash extra points across knowledges, crafts. Spell picks for utility in real world and for crafting/enchanting.

Spoiler: A busy year
    Show

Starting out January with 39gp and a masterwork craft(calligraphy) kit, working 6 days a week, with a monthly lifestyle expense of 10gp (1gp = approx. AU$800), by the end of May I own a Tailor shop staffed by expert craftspeople. After that construction on my mage tower and residence began. The Scriptorium and Sage's office are open in September, while the Magical Trinket Workshop is done before Christmas. After that, work begins on a Security Company. At the end of December, despite spending a rediculous sum on Christmas, I still have 36.3gp left to start the new year, while earning 13.9gp per day.

Trade Shop - Tailor (completed 22nd May)
    craftspeople, lavatory, storage, storefront(furnished), sewing room.
    Earning me 3.6gp per day, and giving easy access to Goods, Influence and Labour.

Mage's Tower - Scriptorium (completed 29th August)
    craftspeople, lavatory, office(furnished), sage, scriptorium, storage, storefront.
    This section of the future tower earns 3.6gp per day, while giving easy access to the all important Magic resource.

Mage's Tower - Magical Trinket Workshop (completed 10th December)
    apprentice, artisan's workshop, craftspeople, storage, courtyard, classroom.
    This section of the future tower earns 4.3gp per day.

Security Company - hiring
    office, lavatory, guards.
    Despite just opening it is already bringing in 2.4gp per day.

*sigh* 2 years until I can actually craft some decent magic items...
    Last edited by aglondier; 2021-03-09 at 08:39 AM.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That said, I have to imagine that armor made of pure psychokinetic force doesn't exactly create a lot of friction; would dirt even stick to it? Does it even really have a surface? I don't know. Why do you ask?
    Because you said it'd work like a regular armor as far as interacting with microbes is concerned, which seems to imply it would obey the laws of physics (e.g. friction) as though it's a regular armor instead of a pure psychokinetic force.

Also, it's a bit of a mundane problem of whether or not to dismiss Inertial Armor whenever I'm going back into an assuredly microbially-uncontaminated area.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karmea View Post
    Does turn/rebuke other things than undead count for DMM feats?
    This is more of a simple RAW question, but no.

Because you said it'd work like a regular armor as far as interacting with microbes is concerned, which seems to imply it would obey the laws of physics (e.g. friction) as though it's a regular armor instead of a pure psychokinetic force.

Also, it's a bit of a mundane problem of whether or not to dismiss Inertial Armor whenever I'm going back into an assuredly microbially-uncontaminated area.
    It's still an armor bonus, not a deflection bonus. Based on the game rules, if someone tries to smear contact poison on you, it's not going to do anything to protect you. It also doesn't offer any benefit against disease, inhaled poison, or harmful gases. It's not hermetically sealed.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Short of making a myth weavers sheet, that should cover all my bases.
    Mr. Teacher // Zhentarim

LN (social identity)// NE (vigilante identity) Warlock Vigilante 3

13+2=15 INT (Dual-Talented Human Variant)

12 DEX

11+2=13 CHA (Dual-Talented Human Variant)

10 CON

9 WIS

8 STR

Skills: +3 diplomacy, +3 bluff, +3 sense motive, +3 [+5 because of Noble Scion feat] k(nobility), +3 k(religion), +3 [+7 because of Social Grace] P(Teacher)

Feats: 1=Noble Scion (scion of peace) 3=Noble Stipend

Class Skills: Dual Identity, Spellcasting, Mystic Bolts [Acid], Seamless Guise, Social Talents (1=Social Grace [P: Teacher] 3=In Vogue [P: Teacher]) Vigilante Talents (Tattoo Chamber)

Favored Class: Vigilante (+3 HP)

HP: 19/19

Spellbook (50 pages):

0-level spells

Page 1: Resistance (prepared)
    Page 2: Acid Splash
    Page 3: Detect Magic (prepared)
    Page 4: Detect Poison
    Page 5: Read Magic (prepared)
    Page 6: Daze
    Page 7: Dancing Lights
    Page 8: Flare
    Page 9: Light (Prepared)
    Page 10: Ray of Frost
    Page 11: Spark
    Page 12: Ghost Sound
    Page 13: Haunted Fey Aspect
    Page 14: Bleed
    Page 15: Disrupt Undead
    Page 16: Touch of Fatigue
    Page 17: Jolt
    Page 18: Mage Hand
    Page 19: Mending
    Page 20: Message
    Page 21: Open/Close
    Page 22: Root
    Page 23: Scrivener’s Chant
    Page 24: Arcane Mark
    Page 25: Prestidigitation

1st level spells

Page 26: Charm Person (Prepared)
    Page 27: Expeditious Retreat (Prepared)
    Page 28: Infernal Healing
    Page 29: Protection from Good
    Page 30: Protection from Chaos
    Page 31: Protection from Evil
    Page 32: Protection from Law
    Page 33: Secluded Grimoire (Prepared) (Used immediately after spell preparation)
    Page 34: Color Spray

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Mr. Teacher // Zhentarim

LN (social identity)// NE (vigilante identity) Warlock Vigilante 3

13+2=15 INT (Dual-Talented Human Variant)

12 DEX

11+2=13 CHA (Dual-Talented Human Variant)

10 CON

9 WIS

8 STR

Skills: +3 diplomacy, +3 bluff, +3 sense motive, +3 [+5 because of Noble Scion feat] k(nobility), +3 k(religion), +3 [+7 because of Social Grace] P(Teacher)

Feats: 1=Noble Scion (scion of peace) 3=Noble Stipend

Class Skills: Dual Identity, Spellcasting, Mystic Bolts [Acid], Seamless Guise, Social Talents (1=Social Grace [P: Teacher] 3=In Vogue [P: Teacher]) Vigilante Talents (Tattoo Chamber)

Favored Class: Vigilante (+3 HP)

HP: 19/19

Spellbook (50 pages):

0-level spells

Page 1: Resistance (prepared)
    Page 2: Acid Splash
    Page 3: Detect Magic (prepared)
    Page 4: Detect Poison
    Page 5: Read Magic (prepared)
    Page 6: Daze
    Page 7: Dancing Lights
    Page 8: Flare
    Page 9: Light (Prepared)
    Page 10: Ray of Frost
    Page 11: Spark
    Page 12: Ghost Sound
    Page 13: Haunted Fey Aspect
    Page 14: Bleed
    Page 15: Disrupt Undead
    Page 16: Touch of Fatigue
    Page 17: Jolt
    Page 18: Mage Hand
    Page 19: Mending
    Page 20: Message
    Page 21: Open/Close
    Page 22: Root
    Page 23: Scrivener’s Chant
    Page 24: Arcane Mark
    Page 25: Prestidigitation

1st level spells

Page 26: Charm Person (Prepared)
    Page 27: Expeditious Retreat (Prepared)
    Page 28: Infernal Healing
    Page 29: Protection from Good
    Page 30: Protection from Chaos
    Page 31: Protection from Evil
    Page 32: Protection from Law
    Page 33: Secluded Grimoire (Prepared) (Used immediately after spell preparation)
    Page 34: Color Spray
    That should update everything. Noble Stipend gives me a more luxurious comfortable life, and so does the extra social talent "In Vogue". In later years, I'll take the "Fast Learner" and "Cunning" feats to pick up more skill points.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'll be taking my third level of Sha'ir, please.
    Still following the same plan :
    My plan has changed a fair bit, but its lower levels remain mostly unchanged:

Currently : Sha'ir 3
    Spoiler: Details
    Show
    HP: 10 (3d4, rolled) BaB:+1 Melee: -2 Ranged: +0 Saves: Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +5
    Stats: Str 8, Dex 9, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 13.
    Skills: Concentration 6 ranks (+6), Diplomacy 6 ranks (+9), Knowledge (arcana) 1 (+2), Sense Motive 5 ranks (+5), Spellcraft 6 ranks (+7)
    Feats: Wedded to History (Wanderer), Silent Spell, Flaw (noncombatant), Improved Counterspell, Flaw (vulnerable), Iron Will, Craft Wondrous Item.

Spells known: Detect Magic, Daze, Ghost Sound, Launch Item, Mending, Prestidigitation; Disguise Self, Charm Person, Scholar's Touch, Unseen Servant. I don't know any level 2 arcane spells, so I guess I'll be preparing Silent level 1 spells quite often. If I wanted to send my familiar away for hours on end, I could cast some divine spells: Wind Wall, Shatter, Soften Earth and Stone, Produce Flame, Detect Thoughts, Calm Emotions, Aid, Heat Metal, Fog Cloud. Thankfully next level this will stop being a problem, as I'll finally get ALL THE SPELLS. It's been quite a wait!

Languages: Common, Ignan. Familiar: Earth Gen.

The plan, written here so I don't have to think it through again next January if I come back here:
    Spoiler: The Plan
    Show
    • At level 4, take a level of Durthan. I would argue that Ireland fits Rashemen thematically (Rashemen definitely feels pseudo-Celtic as much as anything, IMO), and that thus I can qualify. +1 Cha. +1 Concentration, +2 Knowledge (arcana), +1 Spellcraft. Learn Light, Alter Self, Master's Touch (the one from the PHBII that grants +4 to a skill). But due to Place Magic "spells known" suddenly became a far less pressing feature: Place Magic lets me get a look at pretty much all spells, and so I can cast them as a Sha'ir normally from then on.
    • At level 5, take Cloistered Concept Cleric with the Magic domain, and Healing and Knowledge Devotion. +2 Diplomacy, +5 Knowledge (arcana), +1 Spellcraft.
    • At level 6 (so in 2024) take 1 level in Dweomerkeeper. Feat should be Leadership, picking someone I care about as my cohort as Troacctid has confirmed they'll level too when my Leadership cap goes up.
    • Levels 7, 8 and 9 are also Dweomerkeeper levels.
    • Levels 10 and 11 should be something else, to get optimal Mantle of Spells choices. This could be Sha'ir, but thanks to Arcane Preparation I don't need help getting spells. I qualify for Ruathar, but that might not work without elves. I qualify for Sea Witch, Wyrm Wizard or even Fatespinner, but my skill points would suffer. The free Heighten from Escalation Mage (I qualify) could help with future "get 9ths through extra feats" concerns, but it requires me to worship the Shadow. Far too many cleric PrCs have similar annoying RP requirements. Incantatrix seems amazing thanks to the free metamagic feat + Cooperative Metamagic. If I retrained Silent Spell and started boosting my Spellcraft (perhaps through Quick Potion + Divine Insight from my cohort?) I could dive into Persistomancy. I could even use Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability next level to make this work without relying on my cohort. Not too sure what to pick here!
    • Levels 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 are Dweomerkeeper levels. The Supernatural Spells will be useful if/when I get 9ths and can replicate Body Outside Body, and in the meantime they allow me to ignore all those difficult XP and M/F components.
    • Level 17 either finishes out Dweomerkeeper or is a third Incantatrix level. We'll see if I feel the need for easier self-Persistomancy (without Body Outside Body or Cohort shenanigans) or for another Supernatural Spell.
    • The long-term planning issue here is the fact that Troacctid has said in the first thread that this would end in 2036, and that after we get bonus feats instead. This means that I can't get 9ths AND be a Dweomerkeeper (Singer of Concordance could make it work, but that PrC has serious cosmological implications that are likely invalid here). Instead I'm getting 8ths, and then I'll have to use those feats to get 9ths. It'll take a while, but it's doable. Otherwise, I'm hoping Troacctid will change her mind by then and that people who aren't at 20 yet will keep leveling.
    • More realistically, these threads will likely stop far before 2036 (this website probably won't even be around anymore by then!) so getting good stuff like Supernatural Spell earlier is a better strategy.

I'm ageless (which is great!) and have everyday utility magic. I've also got crafting! Awesome! XP will be limited, but it's been confirmed I can't "overspend" XP and am somehow aware of how much I have. I'll make an item of Disguise Self first. Change of plans compared to my post from previous years: I don't really need more money, so I won't be selling any magic items.

Next year, level 4 will bring the awesome Place Magic feature, which works very well with the Sha'ir's massive spell list (all wizard spells, and no spellbook limitation). As long as I'm in Ireland, I should be able to get around the "must have seen a spell to retrieve it" limitation. This is when this build really begins to shine, with access to every wizard spell in the game without compromising on social skills! Here it is, as clarified on page 47 of Unapproachable East:
    Spoiler: Place Magic
    Show
    Hathrans and durthans possess a special bond to the land of Rashemen that lets them draw upon the power of the spirits to cast spells without preparing them. When a hathran or durthan uses place magic, she can cast any arcane or divine spell known to her. (Spells on her hathran or durthan spell list can be cast as either arcane or divine spells, as she desires.) In effect, she can use any spell on any of her spell lists when she wishes, as long as she is within the borders of Rashemen. A place magic spell uses an unassigned spell slot of the appropriate type (arcane or divine) and level. If the caster does not have an open spell slot, she may spontaneously lose a prepared spell of the appropriate type and level to cast her place magic spell. Using place magic takes longer than casting a spell normally; any spell that takes 1 standard action to cast requires 1 full round to cast with place magic. Spells with casting times longer than 1 standard action simply add 1 round to the casting time.

Level 5 brings some basic healing, and the necessary domain to get into Dweomerkeeper next year.

Notes:
    • Use Dweomerkeeper to cast Acorn of far Travel regularly. Mantle of Spells should probably be emergency spells that I wouldn't want prepared all the time, but that I can't wait to call up when I really need them. Maybe Alter Fortune, Celerity, Greater Dispel Magic (I should get this at the level where I get Divine Defiance), Limited Wish and Polymorph Any Object (or maybe Ghostform? Or Greater Plane Shift?).
    • Feats : Leadership at 6, Arcane Preparation at 9, Divine Defiance at 12, Undead Leadership at 15 (taking a living cohort).

Spoiler: Cohort 1
    Show
    I already know who I'll be picking as a cohort, and after asking them their preference I'm writing it down here for the same long-term planning as my own build notes:
    Egoist Psion. Str 8, Dex 9, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 10.
    Build will be Psion 3 / Incarnate 1 / Psion +2 / Incarnate +1 / Soul Manifester (because reaching Psion 5 gives a sorely needed bonus feat, and dipping Incarnate 1 after Psion 3 allows for Pauldrons of Health and Strongheart Vest to make the anti-disease and anti-poison aspects of Empathetic Healing use survivable).
    Skills: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Heal. Will need 8 points in Knowledge (psionics) by level 7. Split remaining skill points between various Knowledge choices.
    Feats:
    1: Wedded To History (Wanderer), Linked Power (Synchronicity), Metapower, Azure Talent, 2 Flaws (innatentive, unreactive). Change Shape ACF instead of Psion bonus feat.
    3: Psycrystal Affinity
    6: Midnight Augmentation (B), Psicrystal Containment. At this level the infinite power point recharging comes online. It's not extremely fast, but it's enough to do things like regularly use Sense Danger (or Forced Dream + Time Hop) in downtime.
    After that? I'm thinking Leadership, Undead Leadership and Psionic Meditation, but that could change.
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2021-03-04 at 04:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just to double check a point in your FAQ: for D&D 3.5 Rebuild rules as well as Retraining, or just Retraining? I am not looking for anything rules borderline, just swapping out a few Wizard levels for Human Paragon.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

So… if I'm not mistaken, this is the year where we get to find out how Leadership works. Any comments? Do other people spontaneously pop into being to our specifications? Do we nominate preexisting individuals to suddenly gain class levels?

Not entirely dissimilar question for followers.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure how to spend this year's level, but definitely regret some things I put into my build from the previous year I participated in (though much of that regret is in just not thinking I'll make it to higher levels).

Then again, I'm not sure if I can even take another cleric level (possibly with changes to archtype) or if I'll have to start over this year since I both missed the last one, and have since changed usernames.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2021-01-02 at 07:46 PM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    Just to double check a point in your FAQ: for D&D 3.5 Rebuild rules as well as Retraining, or just Retraining? I am not looking for anything rules borderline, just swapping out a few Wizard levels for Human Paragon.
    Retraining yes, rebuilding no.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    So… if I'm not mistaken, this is the year where we get to find out how Leadership works. Any comments? Do other people spontaneously pop into being to our specifications? Do we nominate preexisting individuals to suddenly gain class levels?

Not entirely dissimilar question for followers.
    I think at some point in the past I said it was the latter. Choose a cohort from your IRL cohorts, and that person gains class levels and xp along with you.

22. - Top - End - #52

Beholder

Third level in Chef for me.

Financial stability and capable of making literal magic edibles, what's not to love?

23. - Top - End - #53

Devil

In the absence of any clear answer as to whether or not I'll ever be able to become a ScM short of Wish, I'll take a level of StP Erudite in anticipation of going Cerebremancer/Mind Mage. To that end, I'll retrain Old Blood into Heighten Power and pretend like I was a 1st-party character all along.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

This is more of a simple RAW question, but no.

It's still an armor bonus, not a deflection bonus. Based on the game rules, if someone tries to smear contact poison on you, it's not going to do anything to protect you. It also doesn't offer any benefit against disease, inhaled poison, or harmful gases. It's not hermetically sealed.
    Got it. So we're using game rules instead of RL rules for that at least. How about the Diplomacy (and Charm+Diplomacy) working on RL folks without PC class levels (aka NPCs)? Did that also work under strict RAW, or was it houseruled to work differently?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Well dang, I'm 5 levels behind.

Favored Soul. With Precocious Apprentice.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-03 at 12:09 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    Kissed by the Ages is one option, or Hide Life from T&B. Though both are 9th level wiz/sorc spells a cleric can get either via the Divine Magician ACF.
    There's also the option to use Wish to turn yourself into an Elan or Killoren.
    I'm assuming morally questionable options like Steal Life, Ensul's Soultheft and Ioulaum's Longevity are out, though their existence should make using Wish to de-age yourself an option.
    For druids specifically there's always the option of Contingent Spell + Last Breath/Reincarnate, assuming you don't mind the ritual suicide every few decades.

Sure, it's not the easy "just take 10 levels of Cloud Anchorite" option, but that's the price you pay for full spellcasting.

If you're open to PF you could just be a Reincarnated Druid and get reborn automatically. It even does away with the old age restriction iirc.

It's not like you need a D&D class to get into shape, especially if you have healing magic to cure any medical conditions you might have.
    I can see the "don't like casters" argument when it comes to playing a game, but when talking about actually getting the powers yourself it just seems like a waste.

As for all-day abilities being more relevant i would hardly expect myself to be in constant combat or otherwise need it, especially if i keep my abilities to myself.
    For warlocks especially i just can't see myself actually needing their abilities all that often - i don't tend to find myself in situations where the ability to Eldritch Blast someone would help, and their list of invocations is rather limited even before you factor in that you only get a fraction of it.
    Spells/day are only really a hard limit at low levels. Higher level casters get enough spells to easily get through a day even before you factor in various tricks to regain spent slots.

The power and versatility you trade in for that stamina just doesn't seem worth it to me.
    I mean, you've pretty much shown that just "not aging" is not really an option, and I have my issues with all the other options. Thanks for an interesting and (presumably) pretty comprehensive list!

Yeah, I don't need a D&D class to get in shape, that's not what I meant. I'm in the best shape of my life right now and pretty happy with it. I meant it as an allegory.

The reason I think all-day abilities are important, the reason I made the comparison, the reason the thought of being a caster (especially a prepared one!) is unattractive to me is the same reason I feel more empowered by being in great shape than being regularly armed during [RL politics redacted].

You could get a lot done with casting, but I wouldn't really feel like I'm the one doing it. "I memorized a formula this morning, so now I can complete it to be given flight" feels (to me) radically less empowering than the warlock's "I can soar into the sky whenever I want, it's just something I can do."

Spells feel like cool toys or gadgets. They're something you *have*. Other classes are more about stuff you can DO, something you are.

It's not about stamina VS versatility to me, it's about being capable VS being powerful, if you catch my drift. And my experience has taught me that I always feel way better about the former.

Now, this has all been about me and how I would feel about certain abilities. The constant increased awareness of the monk of his surroundings, which allows him to evade blows he doesn't even see coming, is more attractive to me, on a personal basis, then the ability to say a few words and have something much more impressive and useful happen as a result.

The case for casters is, of course, the practical case; this is where the responsibility arguement comes from, and that is a major difference between RP and RL. But the way I know I personally feel about stuff like that leads me to believe I would be much happier as a monk than as a wizard.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

From Last year: Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1.

Spoiler: Build So Far
    Show
    Nonelite array.
    Str: 8
    Dex 9
    Con 10
    Int 12
    Wis 13->14 (lvl 4 stat bump)
    Cha 11

Human
    Feats:
    1: Extra Turning (fuel for later), Able Learner (I like skill points)
    3: Augment Healing (less worrying about injuries)

Deity: Olidammara. Domains: Trickery, Luck, Knowledge (from Cloistered)
    Alignment: CN

Skills
    Level 1: Know (Religion) 4, Know (Planes) 4, Heal 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Decipher Script 4, Concentration 4, UMD 2, Balance 2
    Level 2: Know (Religion) 5, Heal 5, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Decipher Script 5, Concentration 5, Know (History) 2
    Level 3: Know (Religion) 6, Heal 6, Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Concentration 6, UMD 3, Balance 3, Know (History) 3
    Level 4: Know (Religion) 7, Heal 7, UMD 4, Know (History) 4
    Level 5: Know (religion) 8, Heal 8, UMD 5, Know (History) 5, Diplomacy 7, Bluff 7, Sense Motive 2

Invocation: Beguiling Influence.

Prestige Class time! I take a level of Eldritch Disciple. For my "Gift of the Divine Patron," I take Fearful Glare. For my second Invocation, Call of the Wild. (Being able to negotiate with my cat will be very useful).

Feat: Extend Spell.

Skills:
    Level 6: Know (Religion) 9, Heal 9, UMD 6, Balance 4
    Last edited by Telonius; 2021-01-08 at 10:51 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

How will Dragon Cohort work? I presume that like Leadership, I'll pick one of my IRL cohorts and give them class levels and whatnot. Presumably this will turn them into a Dragon. But will the Dragon be a Wyrmling with class levels? Will it be a Dragon of the same age as the person I selected? Of the same age category the person? Does this restrict me to choosing someone young enough to fit within the ECL limit of my Dragon Cohort Leadership?

Presumably Undead Leadership lets me pick one of my dead IRL cohorts and give them an undead template + class levels. Is that correct? Not the best way to Rezz a relative, but it's better than nothing.

I've been thinking of how many loved ones I can give class levels to:
    • 1 with Leadership
    • 1 with Undead Leadership - this might bring back a relative as an undead, but the wording on this feat suggests I could attract a living cohort if I wanted to.
    • Dragon Cohort could allow me to take another Cohort. I'd probably pick a Steel Dragon, because their LA is low and they can turn into humans as wyrmlings to live a normal life. If Steel isn't allowed, then Gold or Silver are second best as they have the Alternate Form ability as wyrmlings. Tome Dragons are amazing, but I'm sure whoever I turn into a giant lizard might be a little resentful after the fun of flying wears off and they realize how inconvenient being nonhumanoid is.
    • Great Diplomat would have given me a second cohort if I'd had the forethought to take it at level 1. Unfortunately I didn't. And I'm not from the right Ancestor clan, anyway.
    • I don't qualify for any PrC that grants an extra Cohort (Thrallherd, Dreadmaster, Orc Warlord, etc).
    • I suppose that my Cohorts could take Leadership feats of their own, to "chain" it down to their own spouses/relatives. This is better than nothing.
    • By the way, do feats which grant Followers give them a class level or two? Or is that just an abstraction of the number of people I can effectively manage?

I'm thinking that I should change my plan, not take any other PrC after Dweomerkeeper, and instead spend my feats on giving my loved ones class levels. Leadership at 6, Undead Leadership at 9, Dragon Cohort at 12 (or at 15 if I need to match the age or age category of the person I'm turning into a Dragon, because at level 12 I may struggle to "afford" a Dragon that's not a Wyrmling).
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2021-01-03 at 09:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Closed Account

About BoVD sacrifice rules?

And Pact Certain / Insidious? ( Fiendish Codex )

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

never posted in one of these before but ....

commoner 16 (growing up)
    artificer 6 (construction)
    fighter 13 (army)
    artificer +13 (construction)
    rogue 13 (bum)
    Commoner +1 (retired)

guess that makes me 62 like my birth cert. says

;-D))))))
    Last edited by lylsyly; 2021-01-03 at 09:05 AM.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20