New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default My own excel files, that I saved on my computer as admin, only open in read only.

I checked the properties. It is not set to read only. It only opens in read only. I've had to remake this file once before, copying the contents to a new excel file. and now the copy is also in read only.

Is there anything I can do that *doesn't* involve opening the file in safe mode? To be clear, I don't just want to be able to edit the file this time. I don't want this to ever happen again.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, this has only effected this particular file, and the copy I made after containing the same data.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2021-01-01 at 02:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: My own excel files, that I saved on my computer as admin, only open in read only.

If you've saved them as administrator then what's probably happened is that UAC has got in the way and won't allow you to save over the existing file, hence them having to open read only. If you right-click your Excel icon and select "Run as administrator", and it then lets you open and edit those files, that'll be the reason.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: My own excel files, that I saved on my computer as admin, only open in read only.

Ok, the files have reverted to read only. The property "Read only" isn't checked, but I can't disable read only- and it won't let me open the file otherwise. The data within the file has been copied dozens of times, and each new file with this data sets to read only. And it *only* seems to affect files with this data.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

This isn't a real answer to the problem, but it might be a solution.

What happens if you open a new Excel file, save it, copy the data from the read-only file to the new file, and then save it again. Is the new Excel file (unrelated to the old one, except you copied some data) read-only?
    My hope would be that the new file will contain the same data and be editable, so you just ignore or delete the old read-only file. Downside is we don't know why the issue happened in teh first place or how to prevent it again without this annoying work-around (and copying the data could be slow or annoying if there's a lot of it and/or multiple tabs.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There's a couple of semi-hidden options that are available when you 'Save As' that can affect the file's properties (e.g. like an automatic prompt to recommend opening in read only mode).

Can I ask what version of Excel you have?