Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default One-Shot Boss Fight In The City Of Gold [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    System: D&D 5E
    Player Count: Four and no more
    Style of Play:
    Allowed Content: If it's not on the list, don't ask.

• PHB
    • DMG
    • Xanathar's
    • Volo's
    • Mordenkainen's
    • Ravnica
    • Eberron
    • Tasha's
    • UA, Homebrew, or anything else available for free, legally, and online by request. Include a link with any request!

Character Creation: Mythweavers preferred, but anything I can easily read is acceptable

• Backstory: Skirt Length, if that
    • Experience: 20th Level
    • Wealth: Any one Legendary and one Very Rare magic item. Can trade down at a 1:2 ratio.
    • Ability Scores: 27 Point Buy
    • Hitpoints/Health: PHB Standard

Other Notes: No Ravnica backgrounds.

The Legendary City Of Gold, and its undead lord. You have fought your way here-and now, you find yourself outside the throne room. You've rested up-the unliving man within is patient, apparently-or perhaps asleep. But the final challenge awaits you.
    Please repost all character details in your first post. Do not post a second time till everyone has posted.

IC Thread

Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-01-05 at 02:10 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: One-Shot Boss Fight In The City Of Gold [OOC]

Please repost all character details in your first post. Do not post a second time till everyone has posted.
    Yay OOC! Here's Elenora Robin again:

Monk (Elements) 16 / Cleric (Bahamut, Life Domain) 4
    Aarakocra with Hermit background

Elenora is an outcast from her flock of Aarakocra, and has spent the past twenty years in the skies, migrating from place to place. She is colorful and a bit weird, but is really in tune with the Life force that connects everything. She worships the lord of the Heavens, the great Bahamut himself, and detests unnatural things like undead. She has a little bit of healing magic for emergencies and found a belt a few years back after defeating a Storm Giant that lends her his strength.

She is unsure about her current companions, but figures if an angel and devil have teamed up to fight this undead lord then it must be a pretty nasty thing.

She's 6' tall and grey/orange like her namesake. She is unused to the manners of "civilized" society and thus gets along with our barbarian pretty well, I imagine.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Do we want to try to get this moved to the OOC subforum instead of having it hanging out in Recruitment?

Edit: Thanks, Peelee!

Bor Bersk, Arcane Trickster Rogue 20. Aasimar Sailor.

Bor has sailed the seas for most of his life, acting as a navigator and sometime accountant, with the odd job or two as a smuggler. He's got a sharp eye for trouble and knows how to stay out of its way. Recent voyages found him dealing more and more with finding sunken treasure, his angelic guide assuring him the entire way that each shipwreck would point him in the direction of a great evil in need of vanquishing.

Bor's patience has paid off. The map he assembled from the many caches of buried treasure has lead him and his companions to the Legendary City of Gold and the undead lord who inhabits it.

Bor often takes on the appearance of other members of the party using disguise self to confuse and distract foes. When not under an illusion, he is a figure of average height, dressed in faded leathers, an unadorned clay mask covering his face. Eyes of bright shining silver give away his celestial heritage.
    Last edited by Twelvetrees; 2021-01-01 at 04:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    Do we want to try to get this moved to the OOC subforum instead of having it hanging out in Recruitment?
    If you insist.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Malheart Drakewing

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long years, searching the man responsible for my brother's death. We started out as humble bounty hunters. We were only one big payday away from settling down ourselves - a nice farm, getting families of ourselves, the whole nine yards, so to speak.
    But then we took on our last score - a small time necromancer. We prepared - got holy water, smoke bottles and what else, to find him, blind him and bind him. It turned out that this was by no means a small time necromancer but and evil, old and above all else very tricky son of a blighted, bloated, bursting corpse. My brother Euheart had his soul ripped from his body, allowing me to escape.
    I ran, I grieved, I swore Vengeance.
    I took me nearly 30 years to get to this point in my life - I swore oaths, made pacts and a fortune - until I finally found my brother's soul, the hiding place of that despicable ghoul as well as the companions to make it to the front door of El Dorado. My brother's soul fights beside me and let's me exchange my fate for his. Unlike me, he is undying and unchanging.
    Now it's time to once and for all make my brother rest in peace and rend that bastard to pieces.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Eingrim the Eternal
    AC: 20 | HP: 305 | Current: 305 | Hit Dice: 20d12
    Passive Perception: 18 | Passive Insight: 12
    Fanatical Focus: 1/1
    Zealous Presence: 1/1
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Eingrim opened his eyes. Real, physical eyes. He was back on the prime material plane. Carefully, he rose to his feet, flexing his stiff muscles. Death was never easy on the body.

Before him stood a frail old dwarf, dressed in the short robes and chains of a high priest. A dozen young acolytes knelt in reverence, reciting the sacred battle hymns.
    "We regret to disturb your rest, Ur-Thane," spoke the priest. "But the threat is dire. We must beseech your aid in our hour of need."

Eingrim surveyed the room. It was a large chamber, every wall decorated with fine carvings that told of his life. How a mighty warrior dared to stand against a tyrant, and slew the Great Wyrm. How he tasted itís wrath, but refused his place in Valhalla. How time and again, he returned to serve his people when they needed him most.

The story was familiar, but the art style was new to him. He was older than these halls. As old, nearly, as the mountain. He remembered the early days, when Moradinís folk were still young.

With a sigh, Eingrim the Eternal, Ur-Thane of the Runestar Clan, took up his axe once more.
    "Who do you want me to kill?"
    Adventures in Icewind Dale [5e]: IC / OOC / Alaric Stormborn

7. - Top - End - #7

Right-o. You are each allowed up to two knowledge checks to gain more info on your foe.

You can substitute the Help action for one or both your checks, if you happen to not have any good intelligence skills. You may also assist yourself or one another with spells.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Right-o. You are each allowed up to two knowledge checks to gain more info on your foe.

You can substitute the Help action for one or both your checks, if you happen to not have any good intelligence skills. You may also assist yourself or one another with spells.
    Hmm, let's see - I've got Religion, as it were. But I'm a flat zero on most of the others. I'll roll to try to help Bersk with one of the others, I suppose.

Alternately: Augury, anybody? I'm guessing the answer will be "Woe," regardless, though.

And I'm guessing Detect Magic and Detect Evil aren't going to be all that helpful. I'll prep Find Traps for when we open the door. And cast Bless on everybody, like a sensible Cleric.

Religion: (1d20+6)[17]
    To help with one of (Arcana, History, Nature): (1d20)[8]

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Hmm, let's see - I've got Religion, as it were. But I'm a flat zero on most of the others. I'll roll to try to help Bersk with one of the others, I suppose.

Alternately: Augury, anybody? I'm guessing the answer will be "Woe," regardless, though.

And I'm guessing Detect Magic and Detect Evil aren't going to be all that helpful. I'll prep Find Traps for when we open the door. And cast Bless on everybody, like a sensible Cleric.

Religion: [roll0]
    To help with one of (Arcana, History, Nature): [roll1]
    Help is just an action you take, no roll required.

With that 17, you'd know that your foe has some divine power, but wields an odd mixture of various blends of magic. Wields VERY well, from what you know.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Help is just an action you take, no roll required.

With that 17, you'd know that your foe has some divine power, but wields an odd mixture of various blends of magic. Wields VERY well, from what you know.
    Oh right, 5e, they get Advantage regardless of how good I am at it, haha.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

11. - Top - End - #11

RogueGuy

I'll gladly take the help with Arcana. I'm going to guess I can get guidance on these from Elenora as well.

Arcana
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[20]
    (1d4)[4] from guidance
    Total: 24

History
    (1d20+5)[12]
    (1d4)[2] from guidance
    Total: 14
    Last edited by Twelvetrees; 2021-01-02 at 01:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Religion
    (1d20+6)[21]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

May I suggest marrying the Rogue and the Monk before we go into battle?
    +2 AC for a week
    Also you all get +10 hp from Aid (as does my steed)

Also the second roll to which I'll gladly take the guidance
    (1d4)[2] to be added to the above roll
    Arcana
    (1d20)[8]+(1d4)[3]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Iím a barbarian, the only thing I know is how to swing an axe. So Iím going to use both rolls on the help action.
    Last edited by Lord of Gifts; 2021-01-02 at 05:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Arcana DC 24
    Your foe is a master of disrupting other spells, and gains power from doing so.

Religion DC 23
    He has a following, and will have minions present. This close, they're bound to be undead.

History DC 14
    His name, Eldlich. Eldlich The Golden Lord.

Marriage helpful... For some reason. :P

Right, definitely figure out a plan of attack-let me know when y'all are ready to move to the IC!

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

+2 AC from marriage would be helpful. Would Elenora be up for that, Archemist?

Tactics
    I can provide some damage, but my battle plan relies on providing utility more than damage. I can create illusions, grapple really well, and possibly add a control effect with Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Getting into melee isn't the best idea for me because I don't have a lot of hit points, but I should be okay if I can stay out of the reach of our foes.

I've got a Potion of Hill Giant Strength I'm going to drink before we enter the throne room, as well as an Antitoxin. Disguise Self will have been cast to make Bor look exactly like Eingrim. Three rounds before we enter, I'll cast an invisible mage hand, two rounds before we enter, I'll cast mirror image on myself, and one round before we enter, I'll cast invisibility on myself or someone else.

Does anyone have a use for a phantom steed?
    Would anyone benefit from invisibility? If someone else would benefit from it more than I would, let me know.

Question for JNA
    If I'm invisible, will my duplicates be invisible as well? If so, will mirror image still give attacks a chance to target my duplicates instead of me? My spellcasting plan might change based on the answers to these questions.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Hm, we don't know how he likes to attack but as a spellcaster we can assume ranged - especially since the DM mentioned that people in the golden city might have guns.
    We can't rely on magic to create barricades as he apparently can eat spells. If our Monk can stun him though, that should shut down his reactions and actions, allowing us to deal with his minions - and giving the Rogue opportunity to sneak attack.

Another tactic: if the barbarian can cause him to fall down with a shove, I can lance of lethargy away his movement speed, so he can't get up again as long as I keep firing and keep hitting him with EB. That should give melee reliable advantage and prevent him from flying around.
    The horse will die likely pretty quickly, but its dropped barding can act as obscurement (memo to myself: need to carry sandbags)

18. - Top - End - #18

Mirror Image images will be invisible if you are invisible.

If your foe has a way of piercing invisibility but NOT illusions, and is sight-reliant, then you'll have a chance to avoid blows based on Mirror Image. If not, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    Hm, we don't know how he likes to attack but as a spellcaster we can assume ranged - especially since the DM mentioned that people in the golden city might have guns.
    We can't rely on magic to create barricades as he apparently can eat spells. If our Monk can stun him though, that should shut down his reactions and actions, allowing us to deal with his minions - and giving the Rogue opportunity to sneak attack.

Another tactic: if the barbarian can cause him to fall down with a shove, I can lance of lethargy away his movement speed, so he can't get up again as long as I keep firing and keep hitting him with EB. That should give melee reliable advantage and prevent him from flying around.
    The horse will die likely pretty quickly, but its dropped barding can act as obscurement (memo to myself: need to carry sandbags)
    I don't think Lance of Lethargy stacks with itself.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-01-02 at 10:46 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Eingrim excels at tanking, and inflicting serious melee damage. His first hit each round does an extra 1d6+10 radiant damage, which could be useful against undead, and he can Reckless Attack for reliable advantage. Winged Boots give him a flight speed, so I'm not too worried about Eldlich flying out of reach. That could still be a problem though, if he's faster than Eingrim and has a good ranged attack, so we might need to corner him first.

He can also use Zealous Presence to give everyone advantage on attack rolls and saving throws for a round, but that's only once per long rest.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Hmm, I'd be fine with marrying an Aasimar sailor, I suppose. I mean, Elenora would, right? At least we're both Charisma-as-a-dump-stat characters so it's not like one of us is really out of the other's league. We'll say we met on board ship during that whole Storm Giant episode. One day you Disguise Self'd to look like Elenora and when she saw you it was like when birds get fascinated by looking in the mirror.

But what a way to spend a honeymoon, eh?

Anyhow, Tactics:
    Elenora's concentration spell going in: Bless (at 2nd level so to include herself)
    She's gonna attempt to be Johnny-on-the-spot with punches or emergency heals for whoever needs them, but stay in motion and airborne to the extent possible.

My original plan was to head for any particularly-annoyingly-positioned minions first and do some clearing of adds, but I'm just as happy to park next to the caster and use Mage Slayer + stuns to try to lock him down while you guys do the mopping (since everybody's got some mobility in this party).
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-01-02 at 11:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

@JNAProductions

You are right, I misread. But it's a moot point anyway, since I misremembered what I took - I have Grasp of Hadar, which also only works once per round for some reason. Repelling Blast is the only one that works on all eight rays. So maybe I can really push him into a corner.

If we can shut down his magic eating, I can use the Wall of Force to sequester his minions (or us with him inside a box, so we can corner him even more)

I think I'll start out with the following sequence: Ritual Cast Invisible Servant (Using him as healing potion delivery as well as holy water bomber), Mirror Image (Bonus Action: Create Echo), Protection from Evil and Good. Open door.

22. - Top - End - #22

I am at work, but we good for when I get home?

Any more planning needed?

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Hmm, I'd be fine with marrying an Aasimar sailor, I suppose. I mean, Elenora would, right? At least we're both Charisma-as-a-dump-stat characters so it's not like one of us is really out of the other's league. We'll say we met on board ship during that whole Storm Giant episode. One day you Disguise Self'd to look like Elenora and when she saw you it was like when birds get fascinated by looking in the mirror.

But what a way to spend a honeymoon, eh?
    Ha! I like it.

Bor probably sees Elenora as an actual celestial being, as opposed to the voice of the one that sometimes speaks in his head. She's got feathered wings and is wise enough to curb his impulsive nature. That's close enough, right?

I am at work, but we good for when I get home?

Any more planning needed?
    I'm good. I've updated my sheet to account for Aid, marriage, and drinking the potion.

24. - Top - End - #24

IC Thread is live!

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

Rolls to check the doors/disable traps/unlock locks:

Investigation: (1d20+11)[24] Minimum 21 with Reliable Talent.
    Thieves' Tools: (1d20+11)[26] Minimum 21 with Reliable Talent.
    Thieves' Tools: (1d20+11)[30] Minimum 21 with Reliable Talent.

I've posted in the IC about opening the doors, but I fully intend for that to actually be occurring after everyone is ready. I wanted to be absolutely clear with that.
    Last edited by Twelvetrees; 2021-01-03 at 12:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

And yep, agreed on the Turn Undead thing. Probably not worthwhile on just the boss himself but if there's a crowd of minions, definitely gonna give it a shot.

27. - Top - End - #27

RogueGuy

Initiative: (1d20+5)[14]

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler: Init Rolls
    Show
    The Big Man In Charge: (1d20+6)[17]
    Big Boi 1 (1d20-2)[1]
    Big Boi 2 (1d20-2)[4]
    Big Boi 3 (1d20-2)[4]
    Big Boi 4 (1d20-2)[1]
    Big Boi 5 (1d20-2)[7]
    Big Boi 6 (1d20-2)[3]
    Spotty Boi 1 (1d20-1)[6]
    Spotty Boi 2 (1d20-1)[4]

Rolling dem bones for init.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Oh, shabuski, I forgot to let you actually PLACE yourselves!

Map Link Again

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Initiative Order
    -Malheart Drakewing (23)
    -Eldlich, The Golden Lord (17)
    -Bor Bersk (14)
    -Eingrim the Eternal (10)
    -Zombie 5 (7)
    -Eye 1 (6)
    -Zombie 2, Zombie 3, Eye 2 (4)
    -Zombie 6 (3)
    -Zombie 1, Zombie 4 (1)
    Last edited by Lord of Gifts; 2021-01-03 at 10:31 AM.