New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightbulb New compilation book project [now through June]

Here's a fun book we could put together really fast: a version of 3.0's Enemies and Allies, but good. Basically, a Monster Manual of colorful characters that can be used as PCs or NPCs.

Cover concept with one possible title (I'll make the lettering look good once a title is chosen)
    Page mockup 1, page mockup 2, page mockup 3

There are so many clever and fun character builds that have been made here over the years. They deserve to be taken out of forum posts and given a nice presentation. Nothing encyclopedic, just 30 or 40 cherry picked entries, each with with a ready-to-use statblock as shown in mockup 2.

They don't all have to be optimized builds. I'm looking for a mix: some tightly crafted 1-20 builds (which will get the table shown in mockup 3), and some that are just eclectic, colorful faces. Most likely those will go in separate chapters.

Post Your Character Sheets
    Do you have existing character sheets that fit the bill? If so, post them here or PM me. Even better if they already have fluff, a name and a portrait.

Suggest Builds to Include
    - What are your favorite Iron Chef entries? (It's an obvious source of material, but there are too many to read through.)
    - What 'classic' builds should be included?
    - Do you have builds you're proud of?

Title
    What could be a title for this book? In the cover mockup it's a Facebook joke, but that's not the greatest. First I was thinking Tome of Heroes, but the builds should also be usable as villains and some may be evil.

If you want to help
    Existing builds need to be converted into stat blocks. Post here or PM me if you want to help with this. You can also search for images.

Stat block format

Timeline: I'm going to do 1-2 entries per day. Whatever I have done by the end of June will be the book. I don't have time for this to become drawn out like certain other homebrew projects (see my sig).

Conclusion: There's no reason why we shouldn't write our own sourcebooks -- the format isn't hard to replicate. But making new content is time consuming. This is a little project that doesn't involve that and so can be done quickly.

Spoiler: Format
    Show
    Format
    Each entry needs the following content:

- Character name and quote
    - Concise fluff/backstory blurb
    - Brief explanation of the build concept
    - Illustration
    (1 page)

- Stat blocks at 1 or more levels
    - Gameplay strategy
    (1 or more pages)

(For comprehensive builds only)
    - 1-20 build table
    - Summary of how the build's gameplay changes at different levels
    (1 page)
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-06-10 at 08:06 PM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New compilation book project [now through June]

Page bump. Still doing 1 of these per day.

I know I want one entry that uses the dvati race. Looking for a cool use of them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

that's cool, where did you find the template to make the mockups?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    that's cool, where did you find the template to make the mockups?
    If you get one of the official PDFs you can see the fonts and sizes with Acrobat's edit tool. I encourage people to copy it and make their own, it's pretty simple.

The only trouble was the cover, because it was in image format. Turns out it's a mix of several fonts and some figures are modified. Still have not found the S.
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-06-29 at 02:12 PM.