Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: LA Assignment Thread X: New Year, New Management, Same Old Unplayable Monsters

I think Entomb doesn't work on flying enemies, which weakens it a lot for the levels you'll be able to play this at.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LA Assignment Thread X: New Year, New Management, Same Old Unplayable Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Is it possible for an entomber to repeatedly entomb itself so that it can tunnel downward quickly?
    MAN can I sig this ?

This is the kind of nonsense I come on these forums to read and rejoice about

@MorphicTide do you have a strong backing for affirming that Entomb will be triggered by any Strike conveyed through the slam attack?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    MAN can I sig this ?

This is the kind of nonsense I come on these forums to read and rejoice about

@MorphicTide do you have a strong backing for affirming that Entomb will be triggered by any Strike conveyed through the slam attack?
    Relevant quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Entomber
    Entomb (Su): Whenever an entomber succeeds on a slam attack, it can attempt to entomb its foe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB pg 42
    Strike: A strike is a maneuver that allows a special attack. A warblade who delivers a single blow that slays an ogre is using a strike. A strike imparts some advantage or bonus over a standard attack, such as extra damage, an additional effect such as blinding a foe, and so forth.

Strikes almost always require a standard or full-round action to complete. Most of them involve a melee attack as part of completing the maneuver. If the attack hits, your opponent typically takes normal melee damage, as well as suffering the effect of the strike. When making a strike, you use your base attack bonus, all attack and damage modifiers, weapon damage, and so forth, as normal. You can make a critical hit with a strike, and in a few cases, a critical hit grants you additional benefits. You do not multiply extra damage from a strike with a successful critical hit. You treat it just as you would extra damage from another special ability, such as sneak attack.

Because strikes allow for a specific form of attack, you cannot benefit from spells or effects that grant you extra attacks when making a strike (such as the haste spell or a speed weapon). You are not taking a full attack action when you initiate a strike, even if its initiation action is 1 full-round action. In addition, you cannot combine special attacks such as sunder or bull rush with strikes, even if you have feats that make such special attacks more potent. However, some strikes enable you to make special attacks as part of their initiation; see the specific maneuver descriptions in Chapter 4 for details.
    So a "Strike" isn't mechanically separate from making an attack, it's a particular kind of attack that has something additional happen. The last section looks like it might not allow the combo, but my reading is that the last paragraph is about full attacks where you make trips instead of attacks or something, and that it still allows for something like...if you have the Knockdown feat, and your Strike deals enough damage, you should still get a free trip attempt. Similarly, since a Strike is an attack, if you're making a Strike using your slam, then you succeeded on a slam attack, and thus Entomb should trigger.

However, I'm also a bit of a ToB newb so I'd need an additional question clarified: I vaguely recall that particular weapons are associated with each 'school' of maneuvers, and I don't think any of them were natural weapons except for unarmed strike. So if using maneuvers from a particular 'school' of maneuvers requires a weapon associated with that school, then I don't think you can use Strikes with a natural weapon. If somebody could clarify either way, that'd be helpful to me.

Currently Recruiting: Nothing currently. Maybe come sign up?

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, the associated weapon thing is mostly fluff aside a couple of feats. Entomb would still activate on a strike using a slam attack.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

Extended signature here.