New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1455
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: LA Assignment Thread X: New Year, New Management, Same Old Unplayable Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    I personally think a Dryad who's tree has become a Treant (Cohort) would be pretty awesome and thematic. It also makes some sense, a tree old and magical enough to spawn a Dryad should be similarly old enough and powerful/magical enough to become a Treant.
    (Not that awakening trees is not a thing (and an easy one at that).)

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LA Assignment Thread X: New Year, New Management, Same Old Unplayable Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by Various
    Quell probably can't beat (or even depower) deities
    Probably, but imagining a swarm of them as a threat to the gods themselves is more interesting than pretty much anything related to PC quells.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I stand by my original vote. Con drain on a touch attack is an excellent answer to the question "what do you do?" And the Quell has no answer for that question; at least, no answer as far as PC's go.
    Yeah, "f*k with the cleric" is only a viable combat option when you know there's always a cleric to f*k with.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (Not that awakening trees is not a thing (and an easy one at that).)
    It is but Treant is hands down better than a huge animated object, it has better ability scores, actually has a skill list and feats plus a couple of cool abilities including some minionmancy.

Also Awaken is really screwy, the spell doesn't talk about how you deal with the fact that animated object has no skill list also there is the glaring problem that awakened plants have no con score nor do they have any of the protections that constructs and undead do which potentially leaves them open to some pretty nasty screwness...

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Firbolg in the Playground

It is but Treant is hands down better than a huge animated object, it has better ability scores, actually has a skill list and feats plus a couple of cool abilities including some minionmancy.
    Don't get me wrong. I like treants! It's just that 1. awakening the tree doesn't need a DM fiat and 2. giving a dryad PC a treant cohort is like, I don't know, putting crazy high-powered magical beasts on the 4th level druid list for possible animal companions.
    Also, an awakened tree wouldn't lack feats either because it has an INT score.

Also Awaken is really screwy, the spell doesn't talk about how you deal with the fact that animated object has no skill list also there is the glaring problem that awakened plants have no con score
    Fair enough. That said, the lack of a CON score is an obvious oversight that is easily fixed.

nor do they have any of the protections that constructs and undead do which potentially leaves them open to some pretty nasty screwness...
    Well, plant immunities are the very best a living creature can get and (arguably) awakened trees get a hardness on top!

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I like treants! It's just that 1. awakening the tree doesn't need a DM fiat and 2. giving a dryad PC a treant cohort is like, I don't know, putting crazy high-powered magical beasts on the 4th level druid list for possible animal companions.
    Also, an awakened tree wouldn't lack feats either because it has an INT score.
    I was more thinking of a ECL 9 character with Dryad as the Race, Alternatively a Treant before even getting class levels could reasonably have a Dryad as its cohort. Either way I find the idea of a Treant and Dryad often being found associated with each other to be quite thematic.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

I stand by my original vote. Con drain on a touch attack is an excellent answer to the question "what do you do?" And the Quell has no answer for that question; at least, no answer as far as PC's go.
    Agreed. Some monsters simply work better as, well, monsters.

It could be an in interesting encounter to throw at a party as a one off, where a Cleric or other divine caster has been dominant, to shut them down and give the other characters a chance to shine, for instance.

Also, really liking the idea of a Dryad having an awakened tree or Treant as her cohort, so she doesn't have to rely on Acorn of Far Travel or similar. Could make an interesting NPC or PC.

I guess one advantage of an awakened tree being an animated object, is it doesn't require air, so having it ride around in a Portable Hole or similar shouldn't be an issue.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

The big problem with treant + dryad, is that they are a two for one deal. Kill one, and you got both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

You know, "plants don't need to breathe" is pretty unrealistic - they don't breathe like us so strangling them is difficult at best, sure, but they do need air.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    You know, "plants don't need to breathe" is pretty unrealistic - they don't breathe like us so strangling them is difficult at best, sure, but they do need air.
    But plants need to breathe. http://dndsrd.net/monsterTypes.html#plant
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, must have gotten confused. Plants do have a lot of immunities.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    The big problem with treant + dryad, is that they are a two for one deal. Kill one, and you got both.
    That would make them very similar to Dvati from Dragon Compendium, slightly different than the twins feature but similar. I think it is pretty interesting as a concept. The only real question I have is, is it better to be the dryad with a treant cohort or a treant with a dryad cohort?... Also too bad you can't have a petal as a familiar, I think it would make for a good one and it seems similarly powerful than a imp, Coure Eladrin, Musteval Guardinal, or mephit or perhaps slightly less.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

That would make them very similar to Dvati from Dragon Compendium, slightly different than the twins feature but similar. I think it is pretty interesting as a concept. The only real question I have is, is it better to be the dryad with a treant cohort or a treant with a dryad cohort?... Also too bad you can't have a petal as a familiar, I think it would make for a good one and it seems similarly powerful than a imp, Coure Eladrin, Musteval Guardinal, or mephit or perhaps slightly less.
    The DMG does give an indication that the DM is free to allow other creatures as improved familiars:

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p.200
    The list in the table above presents only a few possible improved familiars. Almost any creature of the same general size and power as those on the list makes a suitable familiar.
    As a DM, I'd be fine with a Petal as an improved familiar; admittedly, it's a bit underpowered compared to some options.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    As a DM, I'd be fine with a Petal as an improved familiar; admittedly, it's a bit underpowered compared to some options.
    Yeah I think it might be a 3rd or 5th level familiar rather than a 7th

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah I think it might be a 3rd or 5th level familiar rather than a 7th
    Is it an Imp? No. But it's definitely better than a small air elemental or a Tressym or a Shocker Lizard.

It's a strong 5th. 20dex, 18cha , 60'(Good) flight, hands, voice.
    Absent the Coure at 7th (which is strictly better in every way) I might put it at 7th.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Is it an Imp? No. But it's definitely better than a small air elemental or a Tressym or a Shocker Lizard.

It's a strong 5th. 20dex, 18cha , 60'(Good) flight, hands, voice.
    Absent the Coure at 7th (which is strictly better in every way) I might put it at 7th.
    I hadn't taken a look at it recently it is better than I remember, still they are easily outperformed by other level 7 familiars, I would say it is comparable to the small air elemental but better than a Tressym or a shock lizard.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

Also Awaken is really screwy, the spell doesn't talk about how you deal with the fact that animated object has no skill list also there is the glaring problem that awakened plants have no con score nor do they have any of the protections that constructs and undead do which potentially leaves them open to some pretty nasty screwness...
    checks the awaken spell
    Huh, it turns trees into animated objects. That's odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, it's probably time to call it by the time we start getting this far off-topic. Especially since it was a near-unanimous -0. Raiment coming up.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

Raiment

Size & Type: Small Undead
    Space/Reach: 5'/5'
    HD: 3
    Speed: 20'
    Ability Scores: Str +6, Dex +4, Con -, Int -, Wis +2, Cha -4 - Net +8, one penalty
    Natural Armor: 1
    Natural Weapons: Two Primary Coat Sleeves (1d2)
    Skill List: N/A
    Body Shape: A set of clothing. (Maybe gloves could be hands?)
    Speech (Languages): No
    CR: 1
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: +0

In some fiction, whatever you were wearing when you died is what you're stuck with in the afterlife. This is a somewhat extreme version of this, as your spirit possesses your clothes instead.

60' of Blindsight and DR 5/magic cap off a somewhat decent chassis for a low-level creature, though once again we have a Small-sized grapple-focused monster. It's Improved Grab works on creatures up to Large size though, and it gets an untyped +4 to grapple checks that puts it back on par with its Medium competition. It can also Constrict for 1d2+Str while also preventing its victim from speaking.

And that's it. For those wondering why this thing has D8 HD, that was errata'd. Also noteworthy is that they are not explicitly blind, so a pair of spectacles may potentially serve as "eyes".
    Last edited by Debatra; 2021-05-31 at 11:47 PM.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Clearly deserving of a high LA, due to easy access to the d2 Crusader build.

I want to like this, and 3RHD should have been low enough to make that possible... but it's really not bringing much to the table outside of decent strength and 60ft blindsight. The latter is actually quite hard to get on a low-level PC, requiring either an expensive item that also makes you blind while using it, being a mid-level initiator and taking the relevant stance (Hearing the Air?), or being able to Wildshape into a Dire Bat and taking one of the [Wild] feats (note that Dire Bats are large, so Wildshape Rangers can't qualify). But hard to get doesn't necessarily mean fantastic, and I don't know if it's enough to push the Raiment to +0.

No vote for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

I think it depends on whether you handle mindlessness by giving it an Int score or by ignoring the mindlessness. In the former case, 3 HD is an entirely reasonable price for the creature type and the chassis, and I'd give it +0 (it's quite competitive against three levels in a martial class). In the latter case, though, you don't gain feats for leveling up, and that's enough to push it down to -0.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that we're about making things playable, I would handwave the mindlessness, but we've already had this discussion before.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why is it small? Are halflings the only ones who let their clothes in suspicious graveyards? Also "It's attacking us with its sleeves, run for your life!" is something nobody should ever have to utter in a D&D game.

Really, the rating depends on how that body functions. If you can get body slots for magic items and prehensile hands (sleeves?), then 3 RHD for undead immunity, RD 5/magic and blindsight (why the Baator does it have darkvision if it has blindsight on the same range?), plus decent ability scores is... okay I guess. If any of these does not apply, then there is no reason to take it in my opinion.

So, might be half-decent in the best case scenario and very bad otherwise. I vote LA -0 for the Raiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I think it depends on whether you handle mindlessness by giving it an Int score or by ignoring the mindlessness. In the former case, 3 HD is an entirely reasonable price for the creature type and the chassis, and I'd give it +0 (it's quite competitive against three levels in a martial class). In the latter case, though, you don't gain feats for leveling up, and that's enough to push it down to -0.
    We've already talked about it, mindless creatures somehow got an Int score. In the case of the Raiment, it probably means Awaken Undead. However, that begs the question of who was the original owner of the clothes whose soul haunts them, since it will be a limiting factor for the intelligence from AU. Probably not important. Halflings have 10 int anyway.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2021-05-01 at 05:36 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

...Is it just the art or can this thing fly?

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Small grappler" is not a great chasis, unless you're going for binding Zagan, and no-con melee is difficult with such a low natural armor score. Then again, 3 RHD isn't that bad, and blindsight 60 is very good. I'm leaning towards -0, but I'm not a 100% sold on it just yet.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

...Who’s Zagan?

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

...Who’s Zagan?
    Zagan is the Duke of Disappointment, a vestige for binders from the Tome of Magic. One of the benefits he grants is counting as large for grappling purposes, which is very useful for small and smaller grapplers.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    (why the Baator does it have darkvision if it has blindsight on the same range?)
    To be fair, it's not even the only thing in this book to have that. And even having 60' Darkvision listed is redundant because that's something all undead have anyway.

...Is it just the art or can this thing fly?
    Nope. Just the art.

Show

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

Zagan is the Duke of Disappointment, a vestige for binders from the Tome of Magic. One of the benefits he grants is counting as large for grappling purposes, which is very useful for small and smaller grapplers.
    ...Don’t most Small beings have Str penalties anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    To be fair, it's not even the only thing in this book to have that. And even having 60' Darkvision listed is redundant because that's something all undead have anyway.
    I wonder why they didn’t just list “undead traits” and call it a day.

Nope. Just the art.
    Bummer. Not even an Air Walk-esque effect?

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

...Don’t most Small beings have Str penalties anyways?
    Well, yes, which is why you haven't heard of Zagan as some optimization trick. But the Raiment has good Strength and is supposed to be a grappler, which is why I mentioned Zagan. I also didn't say they should go for binder, only that small grappling is very weak without him.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I wonder why they didn’t just list “undead traits” and call it a day.
    For the same reason it's mentioned in addition to elemental traits, or dragon traits, or plant traits. Or why Blindsight is mentioned in addition to ooze traits. Sensory abilities seem to be thought of as important.