New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1455
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LA Assignment Thread X: New Year, New Management, Same Old Unplayable Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by Lilapop View Post
    There's both. The feat is called improved maneuverability, and the item is the pectoral of maneuverability (16k gp, torso slot). Both are +1 maneuverability.

To answer your question, you do kinda want "good" so you can hover instead of a minimum forward speed required to stay afloat, allowing non-pounce full attacks (most flying creature's primary natural attack is specifically not the one that deals x2 damage on a dive), summons and other full round actions. Most casters could get way with the lower qualities, relying on standard action spells.
    There was a Greater version of the pectoral right? Pretty sure there was.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: LA Assignment Thread X: New Year, New Management, Same Old Unplayable Monsters

That one I actually did have to look up: 90k gp, +2 maneuverability.

Hmm, page 49. I would like to direct people's attention to the fact that we are turning it up to eleven with the next thread.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Sounds very damning for the standard fighter class, which also does only one thing and has no out-of-combat utility. In fact, it's pretty damning for the barbarian too. Are we rating fighter and barbarian at -0 LA now?
    Yes actually. That's why theres a rule in place for the threads that we don't compare monsters to "low tier" classes like those.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Troll in the Playground

The rule/guideline is Tiers 1-4, which includes Barbarian (and Fighter if you'd rather go by the 2019 update thread).
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: LA Assignment Thread X: New Year, New Management, Same Old Unplayable Monsters

I'm curious as to what could be done to improve a Skirr's OOC utility, as well as to add other combat options without neglecting grappling focus.

Like, genuinely interested, not trying to be adversarial. As I said in my initial post on the Skirr, I do have a soft spot for them.

What kind of build can anyone suggest that might make me interested in playing one? My focus would be to stay good at grappling, but have at least one other combat option for foes that aren't viable to grapple, and things to do to contribute to a party outside of combat.

What kind of class/feat/item combos could we look at to achieve this?

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm curious as to what could be done to improve a Skirr's OOC utility, as well as to add other combat options without neglecting grappling focus.

Like, genuinely interested, not trying to be adversarial. As I said in my initial post on the Skirr, I do have a soft spot for them.

What kind of build can anyone suggest that might make me interested in playing one? My focus would be to stay good at grappling, but have at least one other combat option for foes that aren't viable to grapple, and things to do to contribute to a party outside of combat.

The other option in combat is easy, just punch them really hard in the face. You can kill anything if you just throw enough damage at it. Since you have reach, you can also disarm or trip many smaller enemies without needing the feats. If you really want something orthogonal to that, I guess you could leverage your size with Imperious Command.

If you want noncombat options, try the Bind Vestige line (Malphas makes you an uber-scout) or the Fey/Fiendish Heritage line. You can also take Arcane Schooling to gain access to sorcerer wands, Touchstone (Shrine at Kahar) for healing, or Lifesight to auto-spot people.

That's just feats. Magic items make it even easier. Look for stuff like hand of the oak father, war wizard cloak, third eye clairvoyance, third eye psionic sight, rod of escape, ring of x-ray vision, blast globes, eyes of truth, superior dispelling weapon, or tooth of Dahlver-Nar.

If you want a more versatile class that synergizes with your chassis, you could go into rogue, totemist, swordsage, or even something weird like jaunter.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2021-05-29 at 06:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I believed there was an agreement within LA assignment to comparing the monsters with the classes the most similar to them.
    Because else all monsters without ridiculously awesome Slas or sur powers or casting would have -0 LA.
    So the Skirr should be compared for example to a fighter or a barbarian or a core only monk but not to a swordsage because the swordsage is not similar to a skirr.
    Core only Monk should never be a valid comparison point in this thread. Even normal monk shouldn't be a comparison point and Fighter depending on which tiering system we are using is either not valid or an edge case of just barely valid.

Barbarian is the go to comparison point for most beatsticks (especially if we use something like orc/water orc as race) because then we are talking apples to apples since you are optimizing ability score with orc barbarian which is inline with what you are getting from a beatstick monster.

On the other hand I really think we should avoid using fighter especially human fighter as a comparison point just because then you are really rating the versatility of feats themselves and your feat choice is more of the comparison than the build.

Also I am not seeing an argument why swordsage optimized around grappling can't be a comparison point for a grappling monster.

As I pointed to earlier hulking thrower is an interesting PRC to take for Skirr and you could use grappled opponents as thrown weapons so killing to birds with one flying mook.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Yugioh came to the states in 2002 and Libris Mortis was published 2004 so they could very well have used Yugioh for inspiration.
    I dunno. I mean, the ancient Egyptian aesthetic isn't exactly unique to YGO. It's not like there's a specific monster that—
    Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    You're right! I can see a lot of the Curse of Dragon in there ^^
    Spoiler: Curse of Dragon
    Show
    Oh dear.

Jokes aside, I don't think there's much going on there. If a children's card game inspired this monster design, it's not overt enough for online randos like us to identify.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    When you think about it, having half BAB for your racial hit dice on a huge beatstick creature is really just another way of saying you have built-in Power Attack.
    Huh, that's an interesting point. And also a potential way to more precisely rate this sort of monster—compare their increased damage to their lowered attack bonus and see how that compares to PA.

To me, the image in LM screams created undead: the wrappings and mismatched body parts look like some crazy necromancer has stuck a Minotaur skull onto some kind of huge avian or flying beast body, then done some mummification before animating it.
    Probably, but why would you assume minotaur skull? There's a monster with a similar skull which would be a lot more common in most settings. It has the head of a minotaur and the body of a centaur. In your tongue, you could call it a "bull".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Probably, but why would you assume minotaur skull? There's a monster with a similar skull which would be a lot more common in most settings. It has the head of a minotaur and the body of a centaur. In your tongue, you could call it a "bull".
    True - the fact it comes with a 2 Int may also make bull more likely than Minotaur.

Also, a lot of 3E art draws Minotaurs more like weird horned Sasquatches than the mythological bull-headed man.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Troll in the Playground

Also, the Skirr's flavor text says "humanoid form with the skull of a long-toothed bull".

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Don't think that completely rules out minotaur skulls, but honestly this thing should probably be a manufactured undead anyways.

Actually, how come so many of these things aren't capable of being created by PCs without fiat? Revived Fossil explicitly spells out normal spells won't work(intentionally blocking it from normal PC use) and most just don't even mention the option.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I could also totally see a Skirr spontaneously assembling out of a mixed boneyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I could also totally see a Skirr spontaneously assembling out of a mixed boneyard.
    After a truck load bandages fell in.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    After a truck load bandages fell in.
    Or after the boneyard ate enough wounded people in the medic's tent(because the boneyard is an undead monster too that can create other undead monsters from its own bones)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-05-30 at 02:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

Updated vote count:

+0 - Efrate, Morphic tide, emulord, Troacctid, Tzardok, Caelestion, Lapak, Lilapop
    -0 - Thurbane, remetagross, liquidformat, Remuko, Beni-Kujaku, Mystic Muse

With the extra two votes since last count, alongside the drifting conversation, +0 edges it out for the Skirr.

Who Shot CR? - remetagross, Caelestion,
    20,000 ECL Under Viability - Beni-Kujaku, danielxcutter,
    Come CR Bad Takes - AvatarVecna,
    Better LA'd Than Never - Dalmosh, PoeticallyPsyco, Remuko, Tzardok, Lapak

We also have a clear winner for the next thread title, Better LA'd Than Never, with five.

See you there with the Skulking Cyst.

Show