New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default 2d20 Conan by Modiphius?

Hiya! Just looking for some general thoughts and opinions of Conan: Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of from anyone who's given it a shot.
    What are the positives? Negatives? What does it do well and where does it falter? That kinda thing. I'm a big fan of Hyborea and more "gritty sword and sorcery" styles when I can find good ones, but it can be hard to find good ones, ya know?

tl;dr - What can I expect from 2d20 Conan ttrpg?
    Last edited by Schwann145; 2021-01-02 at 05:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 2d20 Conan by Modiphius?

The biggest negative I can think of is that the book itself is poorly laid out, and doesn't really do a good job of providing examples of play to help you understand.

For the rest, the game is extremely solid, the mechanics work in tandem with the setting and genre to provide interesting, fun and deadly adventures (the rules for carousing, in particular, really sell the feeling of sword and sorcery and Conan). The character creation system is excellent and manages to offer you extremely varied characters without any real trap options to be wary of.

Momentum and Doom are two other mechanisms I'm a huge fan of, providing, respectively, a big incentive for team work and actually doing things, and establishing a sense of danger and dread that makes everything more exciting.

Do grab the Book of Skelos supplement if you want to have more info on magic, by the way. The rules present in the base book are sufficient, but Skelos offers a nice expansion that both players and DMs can enjoy.
    Last edited by Silly Name; 2021-01-03 at 08:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the system in general, but my personal experience of trying to play a "mage" type character was one of my worst experiences in any RPG. It will cost you an arm and a leg at character creation to even cast spells, in addition you get an everlasting commitment to each of your patrons, learning spells directly decreases your "mana" (which is also your mental health), and when you finally dare to cast a spell it is an extremely unreliable affair. Actually useful effects are quite unlikely to happen. It is more likely that you waste your turn and the parties Momentum to achieve a whole lot of nothing.

On the other hand whacking things with an axe is a most serviceable solution to most problems and just works.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    I like the system in general, but my personal experience of trying to play a "mage" type character was one of my worst experiences in any RPG. It will cost you an arm and a leg at character creation to even cast spells, in addition you get an everlasting commitment to each of your patrons, learning spells directly decreases your "mana" (which is also your mental health), and when you finally dare to cast a spell it is an extremely unreliable affair. Actually useful effects are quite unlikely to happen. It is more likely that you waste your turn and the parties Momentum to achieve a whole lot of nothing.

On the other hand whacking things with an axe is a most serviceable solution to most problems and just works.
    The system's attitude towards playing a sorcerer seems to be "yes, you can, but it won't be pretty". PC sorcerers in a Conan-inspired game are going to be a tricky proposition, given how they're portrayed in the source material.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-01-11 at 05:22 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I've played it for a few dozens sessions, and I like it. It's the 2d20 system which in my option is a very good system albeit a bit "gamey". As said previously, magic it's not it's forte, but considering the setting I find it appropriate. However, a few things, there can be a massive gap in power at character creation when it comes to combat, which can be frustrating for new players. I would recommande to advise your players to diversify a bit in their skills, but also to make sure they are relevant in combat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
    I would recommande to advise your players to diversify a bit in their skills, but also to make sure they are relevant in combat.
    Well... since the game belongs to the many systems where the point buy costs are dramatically different at character creation it is reccomended to max out your core skills at character creation and diversify during the game.

Really, I hate when games do this. There is no good reason for this and yet you see it in so many games

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Well... since the game belongs to the many systems where the point buy costs are dramatically different at character creation it is reccomended to max out your core skills at character creation and diversify during the game.

Really, I hate when games do this. There is no good reason for this and yet you see it in so many games
    Thus why 2d20 Star Trek Adventures avoids this. No points per se, and all characters are assumed to be competent, some are just really good a certain things.

As for 2d20 Conan I like to think of it as a a Conan novella simulator, rather than a Hyborian Age simulator. The game is designed to produce results you'd expect from a Conan story instead of what you'd get if we logically extrapolated the world of Conan from the stories.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

I actually kickstartered the game but only just got around to downloading the various files and having a look the other day. Big fan of the sword and sorcery genre which is why i backed it way back in the day.

Haven't done much more than a brief flick through and a play around with the character builds. There are a lot of options with all the various source books and it looks like a wide array of interesting builds to be had. Going completely random can lead to some very strange characters. Would have liked a few more attribute options but what can you do.

Did come up with pone interesting character that sounds like fun though not sure how well it would play - a frail scholar-priest who can stare people to death. Dropped agility and brawn to 6 to simulate the frail part. Ended up at personality 14 (with 5/5 society and 5/5 persuade), 12 willpower and 10 int (with 4/4 lore). Also a smattering in alchemy, healing, linguistics, command and counsel.

Talents chosen were Common Ground (which allows a lore check when interacting with an opponent and any momentum can be added to persuade or command checks), Force of Presence (increase mental attack damage) and Intimidate (a free success on appropriate checks).

In combat he basically stares at people until their nerve breaks (and I like that that is n attack option for those who cant swing swords). Out of combat he can go from pleasant to terrifying in a moment.