New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default How V and Inky met

I don't know if this has already been discussed in print comics, and it's unlikely to ever be discussed at this point in the main comic. But I was wondering if Rich ever did another bout of short stories, whether this would be one other people would like to see? Even though we know how it ends so it'll be bittersweet, I thought it'd be good to see a different angle on V rather than stuffy logic.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: How V and Inky met

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I don't know if this has already been discussed in print comics, and it's unlikely to ever be discussed at this point in the main comic. But I was wondering if Rich ever did another bout of short stories, whether this would be one other people would like to see? Even though we know how it ends so it'll be bittersweet, I thought it'd be good to see a different angle on V rather than stuffy logic.
    I imagine we'd all be rooting for Inky in that. I mean we'd all be screaming: "No, you can do better, Inky. You can do better."
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

It is strange to consider. My impression is that V has been away from home for years or centuries, but he has also adopted children who attend kindergarten - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html. While elves do live longer and do mature more slowly, it does seem like even by their standards he has been gone for a long time.
    I have always imagined the process of adoption is one of high standards, you simply don't just do it on a whim. Therefore if you adopt it means you can guarantee that you are available and well enough off to ensure the well being of your children. This is however the opposite of my impression of Vaarsuvius as someone who is not physically (or emotionally I guess) available for his family. Two opposites.

I don't know if it is done this way on purpose, but I like to think it is.

4. - Top - End - #4

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I imagine we'd all be rooting for Inky in that. I mean we'd all be screaming: "No, you can do better, Inky. You can do better."
    My initial thoughts on this were 'V treats marriage like something that gives a circumstance bonus to Concentration checks', but then I thought 'hang on, we don't know. We haven't seen the start of the relationship and don't know who V was before their INT ruled their heart. They could've genuinely been in love at some point'

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently it would involved years of soul-searching and hesitation.

Edit:
    My initial thoughts on this were 'V treats marriage like something that gives a circumstance bonus to Concentration checks', but then I thought 'hang on, we don't know. We haven't seen the start of the relationship and don't know who V was before their INT ruled their heart. They could've genuinely been in love at some point'
    V has always been in love with Inky. It just so happens that V was also in love with power.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-01-02 at 04:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

V wanted arcane power more than they loved Inky and the children. I read some comics and remembered that the children were 26 years old and V left for six years.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    V has always been in love with Inky. It just so happens that V was also in love with power.
    We don't know if that's how it started out though. To put it another way; Scrooge wasn't always a miser, and just because he started his story a miser doesn't mean he always was. I think a short story showing V as someone in love who makes mistakes in priorities would be a better story than 'V loved power more than anyone else'.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I think a short story showing V as someone in love who makes mistakes in priorities would be a better story than 'V loved power more than anyone else'.
    Guessing that it's too much effort to write. (Or, rather, too much effort to write well)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Guessing that it's too much effort to write. (Or, rather, too much effort to write well)
    It's a bit extraneous for the main comics, but if Rich did it in a bonus story I don't see why it would be less worth it than, say, a comic about
    Spoiler: Good Deeds Gone Unpunished
    Show
    Kazumi and Daigo working together to help out a ghost, further characterisation for Therkla, or how Lien got her water-breathing ring (all of which were written very well).
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    It's a bit extraneous for the main comics, but if Rich did it in a bonus story I don't see why it would be less worth it than, say, a comic about
    Spoiler: Good Deeds Gone Unpunished
    Show
    Kazumi and Daigo working together to help out a ghost, further characterisation for Therkla, or how Lien got her water-breathing ring (all of which were written very well).
    Agreed. A V prequel would almost certainly be "worth it", and written well! I think it's really just a matter of whether Rich personally thinks it's "worth it," and while I don't immediately get that feeling, I wouldn't 100% rule it out either.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

As it was said, it would make for a bittersweet story, and as such I'd like to read it only as a part of anarc when Varsuviuus is reunited with his family. The problem is, I'm not I wznt this to happen. On one hand, I'm a total sucker for happy endings, on the other I think the familicide was too big of a crime to not cost him something at a personal level, namely his family.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    Characters who have had very little screen time? V has had ample screen time.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

13. - Top - End - #13

So "How I Met Your Other Parent"?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

We don't know if that's how it started out though. To put it another way; Scrooge wasn't always a miser, and just because he started his story a miser doesn't mean he always was. I think a short story showing V as someone in love who makes mistakes in priorities would be a better story than 'V loved power more than anyone else'.
    Hmm. It could be do-able, yes....butter has an obvious connection to baking, and is also a material component for the grease spell; so they could have met in line seeking the same item....And as grease is a conjuration spell, it would set the timeframe in Vaarsuvius' apprenticeship, before the decision of specialization. Admittedly it would a bit of "adjustment" to Fozziwig's old rubber chicken factory to make butter appropriate....
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2021-01-04 at 06:56 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I would definitely be interested just to see the full context of the situation and how V & Inky treated eachother in the past, because I can not imagine that Inky would have chosen to marry V if they have always been this way.

Perhaps the wizard has always been reclusive and bad at communication but I'm sure that in the past it was less severe and manageable enough so that Inkyrius could have looked over those flaws and appreciated other aspects of them.
    And of course I am sure that Vaarsuvius had (and still has) affection for Inky to an extent because of how they fondly described their courtship and the way they've dealt with the divorce, believing that Inkyrius + the children are safer and better off without them (but still attached enough to solemnly look at pictures of their ex when alone)

I do believe V becoming particularly avoidant and neglectful was a development that worsened over time throughout their magical teachings and apprenticeship(fueled by their increasing lust for arcane power), and that their downfall throughout the comic had already been going on for a long time in recent years before joining the order and was simply jacked up to hell by their exposure to danger and rapidly increasing power.

Which is why I believe V likely had far more appeal to Inkyrius during their courtship.. not yet on the path to becoming 'far gone' and were more capable of appreciating simple aspects of life ,
    inkyrius was probably happy with the relationship in their first years but became lonely and frustrated over time because of their once-beloved mates sudden negligence and frequent leavings..
    Its always interested to me that in their 'reunion' scene Inkyrius isn't actually upset about the 'evil' factor as much as they are upset about V having done this without letting their mate have a say, was willing to adjust to it as long as V stayed to explain everything and talk things out with them(instead of say, threatening them and then teleporting away in a way that illustrates a culmination of all of their wrongs towards inky over the years)
    Inkyrius clearly values communication/togetherness above all, but V was not willing to listen to them and give them this care when in that state(the last straw) and is now unable to fix this error because of the stakes of the world, It's a very sad product of circumstance.

16. - Top - End - #16

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    As it was said, it would make for a bittersweet story, and as such I'd like to read it only as a part of anarc when Varsuviuus is reunited with his family. The problem is, I'm not I wznt this to happen. On one hand, I'm a total sucker for happy endings, on the other I think the familicide was too big of a crime to not cost him something at a personal level, namely his family.
    Would it be any more bittersweet than
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    the story of a goblin cleric who loses his whole family except for his little brother, whom he eventually murders to further his quest for revenge against the people who killed the rest of his family- then discovers it was a needless murder that only cements him as the servant of an insane lich?
    And there's precious little "sweet" in that story, yet it's still well worth the read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Show
    the story of a goblin cleric who loses his whole family except for his little brother, whom he eventually murders to further his quest for revenge against the people who killed the rest of his family- then discovers it was a needless murder that only cements him as the servant of an insane lich?
    And there's precious little "sweet" in that story, yet it's still well worth the read.
    Well, Start of Darkness is a great book, strongly recommended to all OotS fans. The Vaarsuvius x Inkyrius story wouldn't be nowhere near as bitter, but to me the main difference is that
    Show
    while a lot of bad things happen in SoD, it's a prequel of a story we know will have an happy ending, so after I read it I'm still left with hope, while in Vaarsuvius case any happiness would be tempered by the fact that we know his relationship isn't going to and well. And while it's true that the goblin cleric is very likely one if the character who won't get an happy ending...he us a villain, and it's far easier for me to accept bad things happening to villains that to protagonists.

18. - Top - End - #18

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Show
    SoD is tragic more than bittersweet.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    SoD is tragic more than bittersweet.
    Yeah, there's not much sweetness in it. Certainly very little by the end.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #20

I wonder if there is a way for Vaarsuvius and Sabine ending together, in a weird sort of companionship.
    Just having Sabine (futilely) trying to "get some" from V once a while would be worth it.
    Last edited by faustin; 2021-01-06 at 06:13 PM.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    I wonder if there is a way Vaarsuvius and Sabine end together, in a weird sort of companionship.
    Just having Sabine (futilely) trying to "get some" from V once a while would be worth it.
    Hmm, Roy's love interest is an outsider. I'd have never come up with this on my own, but as I think through your idea I do get a kind of 'odd couple' vibe from it.
    Whether or not he'd like to do this, I think Rich has the writing chops to make it work and to make it funny.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-01-06 at 12:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I wonder if there is a way Vaarsuvius and Sabine end together, in a weird sort of companionship.
    Sabine trying to get with V and failing sounds hilarious and I am all for it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

23. - Top - End - #23

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Sabine trying to get with V and failing sounds hilarious and I am all for it.
    From what I remember, they do seem to have a more cordial relationship than other Linear/Stick members. However, I would ask you take your Crack Pairing out of my Request for Canonisation thread :b

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

From what I remember, they do seem to have a more cordial relationship than other Linear/Stick members.
    Granted, part of that recollection was probably from 385, where Sabine was disguised (so V had no idea), and also very, very, very drunk so probably couldn't really even see V properly.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

25. - Top - End - #25

What do you mean? Sabine had no trouble seeing all three of V.

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

Can't she just visit Nale though?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Can't she just visit Nale though?
    Even assuming Sabine could just go wherever Nale ended up*, it's the Lower Planes.
    Unfriendly visits only.

*Unless he's on her native plane or under her bosses' care- and even then it's probably not easy -things could get very complicated.
    The bureaucracy involved is literally hellish.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Characters who have had very little screen time? V has had ample screen time.
    Inkyrius and their kids haven't, though.
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Even assuming Sabine could just go wherever Nale ended up*, it's the Lower Planes.
    Unfriendly visits only.

*Unless he's on her native plane or under her bosses' care- and even then it's probably not easy -things could get very complicated.
    The bureaucracy involved is literally hellish.
    There is also the issue Nale's soul could have become a lemure at this point, losing his memories and sapience.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There is also the issue Nale's soul could have become a lemure at this point, losing his memories and sapience.
    That's possible too.
    I'm working off what we've seen of the good afterlifes though.
    With the gradual breakdown into a alignment battery for the gods*.
    The evil ones are probably pretty much the same, just unpleasant.

*Great. Now I remember that OotS's afterlifes are basically digestive tracts.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")