New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt4

Alhaster is the largest and most prosperous city of the Bandit Kingdoms, a collection of warring city-states located in the devastated region on the north side of the Nyr Dyv. It had been a completely lawless place until it was taken over by a fallen paladin named Prince Zeech and his fallen angel cronies, about eighteen years ago, and now it is a shining beacon of order, safety, cleanliness, and oppression. It is also the major port city for a large swath of land, controlling everything that goes in or Bandit Kingdoms. It is under constant attack, but the insane despot Zeech has many powerful allies, including, it is rumored, a black dragon

Alhaster can be roughly separated into two key districts: High Alhaster and Low Alhaster. Low Alhaster comprises the bulk of the town, and includes areas 1-18. High Alhaster consists of the western third of the town and encompasses areas 19-39. Areas 35-39, the Shanties and Eel Town lie outside of the town walls, but are still considered to be part of the town itself. Southeast of the town sits an expansive tidal flat on which rows and rows of ramshackle houses have been built. This region is known as the Shanties. The roads that wind through this region are poorly-cobbled pathways that run along the tops of low ridges; during high tide, the areas between these roads (and under teh buildings themselves, wich rest on soggy wooden pilings) become churning tide pools. On the highest tides or during storms, the roads themselves are often submerged, and many of hte lesser buildings wash away only to be replaced in the following months by new hovels. Those who dwell in the shanties are the lowest of the low in Alhaster -- neither the Watchers or the Blessed Angels pay much attention to this forgotten slum, making it an excellent place to run from the law.

A second region outside of Alhaster's city walls resides to the north: Eel Town, a small collection of shops, fishermen's hovels, and shipyards. It is here that the majority of Alhaster's shipbuilding occurs. Statues of Prince Zeech typify all parts of the town. There are hundreds of them -- Zeech shielding his eyes as he looks heroically to the east, Zeech astride a black charger killing a dragon wiht a lance, Zeech held aloft by an army of grateful workers -- the poses are different for each statue, and each is kept in immaculate shape. Even the thousands of crows that infest the city seem to understand this and avoid the statues.

-------

Walking up to the road the nearest merchant wagons slow to a stop. Clearly intending to leave you a clear space on the road to not be associated with people like yourselves. The driver gives a neat bow and wave as he lets you walk on. Closing on the city walls the black stone walls loom above you, the stench of a city string in your noses as the sound of masses of people beyond loud. The roar of the arena and toiling of temple bells competing with the drone of the streets.

Joining the gate queue you soon reach the gate house. A dozen veteran hobgoblins and armoured humans administering the gate, the portcullis and clearly well used murder holes high above you. THey eye you all with a great deal of suspicion as you approach taking note of the holy symbols of Heronious on Elkist and Zarina with a faint seer on each of their faces.

Adventurers eh? sneers the guard taking in the jewels, belts and various arms and armour and glowing spells. Zeech says your kind disturb the peace. You pay 200gp peace bond. You cause no troubkebyou get get half back when you leave.

(Assuming you pay) Entering the city you are funnelled down the main boulevard. Grim grey stone buildings dominate, a miasma of general malaise and depression seems to hang within the city like a bruise, despite the banners and performers crowding the streets. All seem surly, glancing around the patrolling guards and the harpies the "angels" that patrol the skies and nest on the sides of the great ziggurat on the edge of the cliffs. As each of the fiendish harpies fly overhea you can feel their hate radiating towards the three woman and Talsien

As you are funnelled through the packed streets you can hear a swirl of rumours within the crowd. "A dragon's hoard lies under traitor's grove if you can best the undead aye to get it..." Lady Lashona is going to the ball. She's the only one Z eech respects, her being power here for a century now!"Dammed Priest of Kord, he's a bugger aye! Threatening to disrupt our great Prince Zeech's feast." "Ebon Triad... nah. Mad priest in the Church of Deliverance vanished looking for that. But some say the dragon had 3 heads in the Traitors grove.." . "Zeech's feast to mark his 20 years. Whole city being celebrating eh. Can't wait to hear the tales of the feast. The Prince knows how to throw a party."

Merrick gets fewer looks (bar those reserved for someone who recognise a mage of some power) but although he knows of much of the lore about the city (mentioned above) he doesn't know many other specifics.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Astaroth reveled in the sights and smells of the city, oppressive as they both were. Buer meanwhile recoiled in horror at the dirty, infectious squalor. As Merrick approached the gates, he grudgingly parted with the 200 gp bond.

Given our track record, he muses toward Tal, I doubt we will ever see that again.

Once within the city proper, whispers from Fallen Astaroth clued Merrick intuitively on the state of Alhaster.

Unfortunately, his attempts at gleaner better and more specific information was less successful.

Met with stares, hurriedly ended conversations, and a general feeling of unwelcomeness, Merrick eventually gave up.

"So much for subtlety. Should we draw attention to ourselves?"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Elkist has a barely-concealed sneer on her face as the group approach the city, the righteousness of her faith and self-confidence manifesting strangely through her drow heritage.

Not one to hide away, she strides with surety as everyone makes their way through the packed streets. "A charming place".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tal

Do you suppose "mounts" need to pay that peace bond? Tal muses to the others, I don't see them charging any of the horses. He growls softly at the guard. This place really stinks! The scent of evil, the strange, sickeningly-twisted thought patterns of the lower-plane outsiders. Surely even those without heightened senses can feel this? Tal wonders. His fur bristles his discomfort, and he hopes the others can, indeed, pass it off as a snappish mount. As they move through the crowds, he scans them for anyone who is not as they seem -- devils flying through the air are not as dangerous as those on the ground pretending to be ordinary people, he reasons. It's not the obvious threats but the hidden ones . . . Hahaha! Sniff all you like, dog! Nothing in forests, deserts, or dungeons has prepared you for the political machinations of a city like this. Those who will smile in your face and plot your downfall in backroom you will never see, who wield their knives through the hands of others. You'll never even see it coming! Hmpf! Tal shakes his head angrily at the confusing thoughts.

Perhaps this feast? he asks of the others, keeping their main mission in mind. Though this Traitor's Grove sounds far more comforting -- the sort of place he and old friend GoatTracker might go to have a good time tearing up and smashing things, he thinks wistfully, wondering if he might ever see the giant man again.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2021-02-21 at 11:35 PM. Reason: grammar & formatting
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I wince slightly, parting with a significant portion of my purse, but I don't wish to make a fuss. Taking in the sights and sounds, the ziggurat in particular draws my attention. Where have we seen Ziggurats before? I think facetiously at Merrick.

"We should maybe seek out the priests of Kord," I suggest. If anyone in this town is going to be friendly it'll be them. We need to get a lay of the place, who else might be allies, how to ask about Lashonna without drawing attention to ourselves, that sort of thing."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

You move through the busy streets of the town, everywhere you walk you draw gazes, some interested some hostile from the residents of the strange bandit city. Pushing through packed markets you can see all manner of strange things for sale, and evidence of the savage law underneath. Gibbets decorate each market square, mostly full and you see one of them "live" as you see three haggard battered and bloody looking criminals in long sack cloth robes. As they are herded onto the platform you see a priest of Hextor (reminiscent of the one you fought what seemed so long ago under the mines in Diamond Lake), the priest announces their crimes loudly - "In the name of the Iron Lord these scum have been found guilty of heresy. Worshipping the Ebon Triad they would corrupt the teachings of Hextor. For their crimes their is only one sentence!" As he ends the sentence the executioner (complete with black hood) pulls the level opening the trapdoor and the 3 men choke unhappily on the nooses, their last sounds the enthusiastic cheering of the crowd.

Zarina shakes her head saldy, before glancing at the others, Its interesting that the Ebon Triad is hated here almost as much by them as us. There must be a schism in the church. Lets us hope they choke upon it." She adds the last clutching her holy symbol to ward off the evil.

Continuing on you can soon hear the grunting of fighting and wrestling and the heavy thudding of sparring as you approach the Temple of Kord. The Temple appears a cross between a large church or a gladiatorial arena and is filled with half naked oiled and bearded men wrestling or sparring with heavy wooden staffs and clubs under the watchful gaze of a bearded fat high priest, one of his arms replaced with a metallic arms of magical power, looking almost like liquid metal.

As you enter the sandy floor, Zarina looks to Lan, "Not as grand as the last arena we were in, but less hidden undead worms underneath I hope" Any further comments are unheard as the high priest booms at you all, "STOP! In the name of the the Ram lord stop. Women, weak, soft women, are not allowed on our holy sand." he looks at Talsien and Lan (and with an unimpressed gaze at Merrick), "THe men may stay and supplicate themselves but the women must use the lesser entrance around the back..."

7. - Top - End - #37

Merrick

Tal, may you please ask Mirriana how we should approach this? My instinct says this buffoon will only respond to a display of strength.

Merrick makes a mental note to later visit the local charnal house with Acererak as his guest. The recently-deceased Triads may prove useful fonts of information...
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

". . . Women, weak, soft women, are not allowed on our holy sand."
    Tal chokes on a guffaw and tries to make it look like a wolfish sneeze. "Weak, soft women"? He really said that? He sits back on his haunches, tongue lolling out of his mouth.

Merrick is wondering what you would like to do, he sends to Mir, clearly curious too how the redoubtable warrior women will respond to the affront.
    Custom Class

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

My expression remains flat even as my full plate armour and shield snap into place in all their highly polished splendour and I stand immobile like a mountain, neither advancing further not giving any inclination I'm going to go back.

"If I see any soft, weak women I'll be sure to let them know," I state flatly. "Before you stand the Champions of the Free City and the Banes of Ilthane."

I'm pretty sure he'll have heard of both. A black dragonscale necklace hangs round my neck, a twin of the one I gave to Celeste. Elkist wasn't there for those events admittedly, but her deeds since are of enough of a similar caliber I don't let it bother me.

"Archmage Manzorian of The Fortress of Unknown Depths sent us. We're here on his business and politely request your aid. I will be sure to mention how helpful you are when I next see him," I prompt. "We don't have to discuss things here, but given what we overheard in the city we thought you might prefer...?" I suggest, leaving open the option of going elsewhere and giving him a way to back down without losing face.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy:(1d20+12)[16] pile on the circumstance bonuses please.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-03-10 at 05:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Merrick

To Accentuate the point, Merrick draws into his Bag of Holding and holds aloft the head of said Illthane.

Spoiler: Aid Another (Fingers Crossed I don't get a 1...)
    Show
    (1d20+8)[27] Diplomacy

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

As Zarina and Elkist stand by Mirriana, all 3 resplendent in their armoured finery and weapons. As Mirriana describes their exploits the fat priest begins to look a less sure of himself and his followers shuffle uneasily, aware that they party are far stronger than them.

As Merrick pulls out the head the fat priest chokes back a cry of horror at the metal plates trophy head. One of the initiates falling to his knees, a faint cry of "my family, they are avenged."

The fat priest pauses, booming voice quelled by the mutterings and cheers of his own followers. "The head of the beast! The thing that has haunted the traitors graves and the iron fist of Zeech himself". Backing up a step he drops his voice, "Let it not be said that Barnabas Voren does not recognise those blessed by strength. Come, come join our banquet table."

He gestures to a simple wooden trestle table in the corner pulled high with some of meat ans cous cous stew. "Will you tell us of the slaying the beast? Or the great undead worm that so assailed the grand tourney in the Free City."
    As they sit he looks at Mirriana more carefully, "What brings you to this city? You so not look like you or your golden companions would have business with Zeech. Why are you not tending a temple of your own?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I smile graciously as the priest relents.

"We would be honoured to accept your hospitality," I say taking a seat on the bench by the table.

"I've never really been the temple sort. If Mystara hadn't called me to events, Ilthane would probably have killed me in her first attack on Diamond Lake whilst the other Watchmen fled," I admit, somewhat shocked by a possibility I hadn't considered before.

"But fortunately by then Taliesn and I had already started a path that had seen us crowned champions of the Free City games, and joined with companions mighty enough to face her!"

"Unfortunately the undead worm wasn't the beginning or the end of it. There's a conspiracy to resurrect an ancient Demigod of Wormy-Undeath called Kyuss. Ilthane was involved in spreading his works to the Mistmarsh and we brought down her wrath by interfering with her eggs there, so she attacked my home town. We were summoned back in time for her second attack, where she attacked from the air. When our magic proved a match for her assault she retreated into the bay to let our durations expire. After that it was a desperate struggle in the air, blade against claw, until the beast fell and smote the town square with her ruin," I relate the battle.

"We understand she has a brood nearby that we should probably deal with whilst we're here, given the undead state of the one in the Mistmarsh. We also heard that Raknian may have fled here after his disgrace for unleashing the worm on the Free City. And frankly I have questions about Zeech building a Ziggurat, given his possible links to the conspiracy and that the last Ziggurat we visited gifted an ancient city to the worms of Kyuss to fuel his Apotheosis."

"But none of that is why we're here. We have heard that Lashonna, one of Zeech's allies, has knowledge of Kyuss, and perhaps of Archmage Manzorian's friend Balakarde who was investigating and has gone missing. We need to find out what she knows, but we don't know this city or how to gain access to her confidence. We were hoping you may be able to guide us, or at least point us to someone who can."

"Needless to say, what I've spoken of here is confidential, entrusted only to you worthy followers of Kord," I warn, fixing each man here present with a serious gaze. "I'd be being more circumspect even now, but we're already known to Zeech from the games and Raknian has probably told Zeech everything he thinks we know already. Still, it would be better if Zeech doesn't learn more for now."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-03-21 at 03:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Master Priest Voren nods sagely, a hand pulling at his meet and beer stained bead. As you describe the ziggurat in the fallen Spire of Shadows his eyes dart towards the half built ziggurat where slaves and whip wielding overseers scurry like ants over the massive block like levels. "I am troubled friends. You speak of the ziggurat, that is a most worrying concern. As for Lashona..." he shakes his head, a look of almost wistful admiration on his face. "The Lady Lashona is a mystery. She is wise in many ways and has remained ever young for the past 3 decades. I had heard tales of the Balakarde passing through some months ago but had not spoken with him."

He gestures at the distant palace spires "The palace is hosting a party of sorts. The Prince's ego is immense and he welcomes any with fame and wonder that could be met. If you speak to the palace functionaries and speak of being the arena champions he may invite you. If he does so you could meet the Lady there. She has not taken guests at her manor for a long, long time."

He pauses and nods to the east, "The traitor's graves are the swamps by the river. Its is where many of the poor or criminals are buried. It is a swampy mess that is said to be haunted and near death for anyone that goes there. But as you have slain Ilthane that was said to be where she made her lair. I shall think on the Ebon Triad though, You are welcome to take rooms here in the meantime"

14. - Top - End - #44

Merrick

Knowing the value of grace, Merrick elects to forget the rude welcome from before. The enemy of an enemy...

Perhaps Zeech has discovered a means to duplicate Kyuss’s ascension. If he’s as arrogant as you say, the right question and correct compliment at the right time may get us in his good graces.

He never claimed to be a bard who could win over a raging beast, but every day he did negotiate with essentially disembodied egos in exchange for tangible gains.

How do some-recently arrived celebrities let their presence be known?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks to the others and shrugs. " I would suspect he will know we are there. The way I see it we have 3 options to explore from the notes that Balakrde and Manzorian gave us. We can explore Ilthanes possible lair, seek out this Cleric of the Cudgel or seek Lashona. What do you think Mirriana?"

16. - Top - End - #46

Merrick

If I may opine, I think we should clean out Illthane’s brood first. After what you told me about the lizard folk eggs, I wonder if her lair might hold more information. Also a hoard and dragons to slay should not be left unchecked.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks at Merrick and nods, "Aye, I would agree Master Merrick, we know where the brood may be and its still early in the day. if we rid ourselves of that then there is no chance of her spawn coming back to trouble Diamon Lake in the future and the village can remain safe." Glancing at the portly abbot she gestures at the initiates, "COuld you lend us a man Abbot, just to show us the way to the Traitor's Graveyard?"

THe abbot nods, "Most certainly. Brother Gordon, come here." he bellows to a well muscled man "You know the way to the swamps aye?" he question before the man nods. "Lead these folk down there, they will rid of us of some vile beasts and loosen Zeech's hold on the city." Even as the man looks nervous, the abbot shakes his head, "Nae lad you won't be going in. Take 'em down and then have a few drinks in the Rat's Nest and they can meet you afterwards."

The man agrees and nods a greeting, "Morning, I am Brother Gordon, do you need to prepare or do you wish to leave any luggage here? The swamp is humid and thre are many flies, plus more larger and aggressive dangers."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I ponder a moment the brother's offer. Nothing I carry is a particular encumbrance, and most is likely to be needed in any adventure. But I do have a few outfits and precious items I'd prefer to keep fresh.

"Thank you brother Gordon, I would like to leave a few things," I reply, reaching into the depths of my handy haversack to pull out my spare clothes and jewellery. "Please keep these safe."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"If I may use your chapel for a few minutes prior to our departure?"

Elkist excuses herself and finds a quiet place to meditate as she prepares for the task ahead.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Time is given to you and a set of penitent cells are offered, the gate stone cells offering spartan comfort for you all. Elkist is given the time to pray, the main chapel, although dominated by imagery and statues of Kord has small alcoves to all of the major God's and Goddesses, Heronious and Pelor not commonly seen in the city.

After prayers the young initiate leads you through the narrow winding streets towards the river. As you walk towards the river the quality of the housing drops, rickety tenaments and narrow alleys dominated by crowds of drab slightly fearful people watching the skies and refuse oiled high in the street. Although even in the most wretched district statues of Zeech stand every few blocks and proclamations of his festival and his great endeavour mark many walls.

Reaching the river the young lad stops and points across the muddy waters. "there, that's the grave yard. There's some wooden walkways but kind the mud, fog and graves" . Looking out to the river estuary you can see a mass of miss and reed covered islands linked by numerous partially rotted wooden walkways mostly shrouded in must with a variety of stone moneuments and markers. The mass of muddy islands buzzes with insects and smells of marsh.

Zarina gazes at the nearest walkway and then grins a little at Lan, "Not sure they'd have supported Master Goat's weight." As she gazes out into the marsh she looks a little concerned. 'Hmm, not the most welcoming."

21. - Top - End - #51

Merrick

Well, here we are again, knocking at villainy’s door. Let me first prepare us.

Arcane might flows from the Anima Magus and magical protections and enhancements flow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting:
    overland flight
    Mass Resist Energy (acid) 140 minutes
    Mass Resist Energy (cold) 140 minutes
    Protection From Arrows 14 hours

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Taliesn sniffs the fetid air, "sniffing" with his other senses, too (detect evil, mindsight), though he doesn't expect to smell anything this close.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    "Hmm, not the most welcoming."
    He shrugs shoulders at Zarina's comment. "Welcoming" places are the ones where you can be betrayed. This place is at least honest in its menace.

He licks his lips and flexes all four claws, eager to face whatever danger awaits.
    Custom Class

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

As flickering magics erupt around the brave heroes the swamp and marsh beckons you in, hillocks and tufts of tough grass sandwiched between moss covered dolmens and decaying tombstones. Peering into the misty swamp it’s Lan’s sharp eyes that spy a movement on the largest mound some 200ft away.

The hummock is like an island some 200ft in diameter, a 20ft wide waist deep sluggish channel surrounding it (~80ft from you). The land is covered in thick weeds and scattered stones. As Lan watches he sees a flicker of something large in the air before it lands in the middle of the hummock and vanishes from view

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Well let's get this over with," I say, approaching the mound when everyone is ready. "Dark Way!" I cast, bridging the small channel so we don't have to wade.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Elkist quietly begins a sonorous chant as the group makes their way across the ribbon of magic towards the hummock, placing even more wards about the party.

Spoiler: cast
    Show
    Cast:

Energy immunity (fire) x2 - Elkist & Mirriana duration 24 hours
    Protection from energy (120hp electricity) x5 - all, duration 110 minutes

Dark Way is a cool spell :-)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-05-07 at 05:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

As more enchantments and spells and wardings spring up around the party Mirriana casts out a hand and solid bridge of force forms a gap across the soggy boggy moat surronding the clumped mound. As you get maybe half way across (~50ft across the 100ft bridge) its Lan and Talseien's sharp eyes that notice the winged reptillian form crouching behind a large tombstone on the island some 80ft away! Its glimmering yellow eyes burning brightly as its stares at you with predatory focus!

Initiative

Talsien, Mirriana
    Dragon
    Everyone else

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

I do not like how it is looking at me. Tal growls faintly under his breath as he starts loping across the shadowy bridge faster and faster, until he's in a long sprint, fore legs and hind legs stretched to their limit as each bound throws him through the air toward the crouching dragon, covering much more distance than he realistically should.

Forty feet away, his muscles bunch, and he launches into the air, sailing toward his target, all four claws splayed, ready to grab and rend . . .
    Spoiler: surprise!
    Show

So . . . , I'm so out of practice with combat I had to go back and read the rules, but I think this works:

1. Swift action to activate Horizon Walker chronocharm and move half my speed (30') toward the dragon, now 50' away. That should still be on the bridge (now at 80' out of 100'), so I don't need to worry about any difficult terrain, which I'm sure this swamp is full of.

2. Move action, 10' of that is regular, and for the last 40' to the dragon, it's all airborne. Tal has a +41 jump check: jump - (1d20+41)[44]. That should avoid any problem with difficult terrain from the end of the bridge to the dragon. Tal's reach is 10'. Not sure about the dragon's, but if it's 15' or greater, I've also got a "sufficient" tumble check to avoid an AoO: tumble - (1d20+26)[46]

3. Standard action attack. Some things haven't changed:

claw - (1d20+27)[37] damage - (2d6+16)[24]
    claw - (1d20+27)[45] damage - (2d6+16)[22]
    claw - (1d20+27)[35] damage - (2d6+16)[22]
    claw - (1d20+27)[39] damage - (2d6+16)[20]

If two or more claws hit, rend damage from his Girallon Arms bind.

Let me know if I made any errors.

Edit: neglected to say, rend is double damage, so if all 4 hit, that would be . . . 176.

Edit-Edit: Wow, that was a pretty lousy jump, for Tal, but an incredibly graceful tumble.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2021-05-19 at 11:47 PM.
    Custom Class

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"Try and stop it taking flight!" I suggest to Tal as he strategy bounding ahead, slower myself due to the care required for spellcasting.

"Divine Power!" I cast, inviting myself with strength, durability and combat ability.

I also activate my protective aura.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move 30ft towards dragon.

+6BAB (gains an extra attack)
    +2 STR (+6 supplants +4
    +14 thp

Protection devotion +5 sacred to AC allies within 30ft.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

THe heroes stride across the dark bridge of force conjured by Mirriana, the cleric, Elkist, Zarina, Lan and Merrick all fairly close together. As they catch sight of the dragon hiding (badly) in the undergrowth Mirriana strides forward, warding spells erupting from her and benefiting those still on the bridge as Talsien races forward, leaping towards the beast and landing upon it in a flurry of slashing and and rending claws that tear great chunks of flesh and scale from the hapless dragon that seems terrified by the savage attack!

As Tal sails an effortless fiorty feet forwards to land on the the scaled back the dragon hisses in fury, bellowing loudly in Draconic "Slayers of our Mother, you who would steal her mighty visage, we shall rend you limb from limb..." Rearing up it spins its long neck around, a massive gout of toxic black acid spilling from its mouth as it lashes at Tal with teeth, wings and claws seeking to rend him as badly as he had rended it!

Spoiler: Dragon 1
    Show

Quicken breath Acid line on Tal (12d4)[25] Acid Ref DC22 for half
    Full attack (with rapid strike)
    Bite (1d20+23)[26] dam (1d8+8)[12] [magic/evil]
    Claw (1d20+21)[38] dam (1d6+5)[8] [magic/evil]
    Claw (1d20+21)[29] dam (1d6+5)[10] [magic/evil]
    Claw (1d20+16)[30] dam (1d6+5)[6] [magic/evil]
    Wing (1d20+21)[41] dam (1d6+5)[8] [magic/evil]
    Wing (1d20+21)[29] dam (1d6+5)[9] [magic/evil]

Even more horrific though is the water parting either side of the Dark way bridge as three more of the dragons leap from the water! The savage pincer attack noting a "Clever girl..." from Zarina as she braces for the oncoming onslaught! The first dragon lunges forward, engulfing ALL of the characters atop the bridge in a cone of acid, the other two aiming more focused bursts that hit a selction of the heroes with the streams of toxic acid that hisses on the water.

Two of them surge forward, bodies in the water, long neck snaking 15ft forward (reach) to snap at Zarina and Elkist whilst the third focuses oits beady eyes on Mirriana at the front of the pack and thick sticky tar bubbles fr omthe surface of the darkbridge impeding Mirriana's progress and thos behind her! Leaving Tal isolated

Spoiler: Other Dragons
    Show

Dragon 2: Wdien/Quicken metabreath on EVERYONE (apart from Tal) (12d4)[27] Acid Ref DC22 for half
    - swims 15ft from the bridge and bites at Zarina Bite (1d20+23)[39] dam (1d8+8)[14] [magic/evil]

Dragon 3: Quicken metabreath on Zarina/Elkist/Lan (12d4)[29] Acid Ref DC22 for half
    - swims 15ft from the bridge and bites at Elkist Bite (1d20+23)[39] dam (1d8+8)[14] [magic/evil]

Dragon 4: Quicken metabreath on Merrrick/Mirriana(12d4)[30] Acid Ref DC22 1d8+8[/roll]
    -- Remains 40ft from the bridge casts Resinous tar on the bridge under and in front of Mirriana making that part of the bridge sticky difficult terrain

30. - Top - End - #60

Merrick

His magical ward against acid holding strong, Merrick rises away from the bridge and above the tangle of humanoid and reptile.

You will join her in Tiamat’s eternal midden pit.

Pointing a finger at the tar-flinging wyrm, drawing the essence of Astaroth to enhance the beam, a disintegration ray shoots forth.

Spoiler: Maximized Disintegrate
    Show
    (1d20+10)[14] ranged touch
    (14d6)[55] damage maximized to 84
    DC 20 fort to take 5d6 (maximized to 30) damage.