New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt4

Tal

The acid breath washes harmlessly over Taliesn. Thanks, Merrick! and he tanks the onslaught of the first dragon's attacks. He responds with a single word: Burn!
    Spoiler: Round 2 attacks
    Show

Swift action to use his Burning Blade maneuver: +1d6+1/2 IL fire damage to each melee attack (IL is 9, and I don't recall if that rounds up or down)

Move action:
    Obligatory jump to trigger landshark boots: Jump - (1d20+41)[57]
    Obligatory tumble to avoid any AoO possibly triggered by that jump: tumble - (1d20+26)[27]

Standard action:
    claw - (1d20+27)[44] damage - (2d6+16)[20] plus fire - (1d6+4)[8]
    claw - (1d20+27)[46] damage - (2d6+16)[24] plus fire - (1d6+4)[5]
    claw - (1d20+27)[37] damage - (2d6+16)[22] plus fire - (1d6+4)[9]
    claw - (1d20+27)[40] damage - (2d6+16)[27] plus fire - (1d6+4)[10]

* Increase each fire damage +1 if odds round up, if it matters.
    * If 2 or more claw attacks hit, damage is doubled, but not the fire damage.
    * The previous turn's attack penetrated any DR/magic; current and future attacks penetrate any other sort of DR, thanks to transmutation property of Tal's wyrmfang belt.
    * Tal will try to leave the head intact, just in case Merrick is collecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

mad Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt4

Landahl Snowstrider, Halfling scout

Lan had spotted the poorly hidden dragons, but fell victim to the classic blunder - focusing on the threat he could see to the exclusion of the ones he didn’t.

Survival instincts kicked in and the small man leapt into the air, flying up at an angle. He got within 30’ of the dragon engaged with Tal, taking aim at the giant beast. He muttered under his breath, ”Let it begin ...” . As he approached aerially, three javelins flew out to the ‘greet’ the dragon they attacked first.

As swift, activate shirt to fly. Move action to get w/in 30’ of dragon engaged with Tal, standard to use Greater Manyshot. No Deadly Aim yet.
    Att 1 - (1d0+18)[19]Att 1 - 26, Dam - (1d4+8)[11]+Skirmish - 24 = Total: 35
    Att 2 - (1d0+13)[14],Att 2 - 23, Dam - (1d4+8)[11]+Skirmish - 25 = Total: 36
    Att 3 - (1d0+8)[9], Att 3 - 28, Dam - (1d4+8)[11]+Skirmish - 16 = Total: 27

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 95 AC: 32 (26->21) FF/Touch: 21/21 (16/16)
    F +16 R +20 W +13
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +19 Move Silently/Hide +21 Tumble +35 D Device +21
    Spells (4/6/6/4/2/2) 0: create water, guidance, mending, light
    1: detect fav enemies, gravity bow, embrace the wild, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride
    2: fell the greatest foes, invisibility, invisibility, swift haste, swift haste, exacting shot
    3: decoy image, find the gap, find the gap, foebane
    4: aspect of earth hunter, <s>deeper darkvision</s>
    5: summon nature’s ally V, summon nature’s ally V
    Javelins (+23, 1d4+3 / +24, 1d4+4 w/in 30', bane vs undead)
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 2/2 Horizon Walker
    Effects: Feat: Deadly Aim; +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours); Mass Sacred Protection (+5 AC); Mass Resist Energy (acid 140 min; cold 140 min)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-05-31 at 01:55 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina watches in some awe as Talisien bounds forwards and tears massive strips of flesh from the dragon, but her excitement is short lived as the other 3 of the beasts splash up out of the water, huge gouts of acid spewing over her magical wardings as she takes cover, even after that the multiple Zarina's duck down, one of the images shattering into fragmented glass as the dragon's fangs narrowly miss her.

Cursing she looks at the two on her right, one targeting her, and one some 30ft further forwards trying to block the bridge. The circlet on her forehead glows with power as a trio of magical bolts strike forth from her hands, the Eye of bococb allowing her to sense the weak points in the dragon's magical wardings. Even as the fire rays die down she mutters another incantation and begins to hover above the bridge before jetting into the air. She looks down at the scaled lizard, a smile on her face, a foe she could face, a beast to impale.... "Try me worm, your mother met her end on our blades and you'll share her fate, pathetic lizards...". The insult delivered in draconic designed to be stinging.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Dragon bite (1d7)[6] hits her on a 1
    Ref save (1d20+17)[28]
    Ref save (1d20+17)[22]

Know Devotion (1d20+21)[31] For hit/dam bonus
    Circlet of Rapid casting: Swift Scorching Ray at Dragon 2 w/Empowered spell shard
    Ray 1 Spell Resistance (1d20+19)[23] to hit (1d20+15)[31] dam (4d6)[6] x1.5 FIRE
    Ray 2 Spell Resistance (1d20+19)[26] to hit (1d20+15)[17] dam (4d6)[10] x1.5 FIRE
    Ray 3 Spell Resistance (1d20+19)[27] to hit (1d20+15)[27] dam (4d6)[11] x1.5 FIRE

Standard: Cast Fly
    Move: Fly 30ft directly up
    Dragon's AoO (1d20+23)[26] dam (1d8+8)[15] Mirror image (hits on a 1) (1d6)[4]

Zarina "Brightblade"
    M LG Human Warblade/Ftr/Wiz/S.Sword/Abj.Champ/ JPM 1, Level 1/1/4/1/4/ 4 (15), Init 2,
    HP 125/125 +10
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, : +12 to AC/FFooted (G.Luminous)+8 shield +5 Mirriana +3 Dragon skin = 40
    Fort 14, Ref 11, Will 8, : +6 to all
    Base Attack Bonus 13/7/2
    Fullblade +1 +16/11/6 (2d8+4, 19-20)
    MW Comp (+2) Longbow (20, 20 cold iron, 10 silver) +16/11/6 (1d8+2, X3)
    Sword Aqaa (thundering +2 sword) +17/12/7 (1d12+5(+1d6 vs undead) , 18-20
    3x Capsule: oleum, A Fire, L.Ember), Wand Chamber (Heroics): Least true death xtal (+1d6 vs undead) (+1d8 on Crit, + Hurricane Wind, + Synergy w/Lightning Sword) [

Lesser crystal of life keeping (+3 vs Death effects, Energy drain, Inflict) Gith craft Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Stacks with armour: Least crystal of Arrow Deflection (+2 AC vs ranged) Dastana +1 (+7 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 6, Cha 11
    Condition

Greater Luminous Armour (-4 to hit, +12AC) 24 hours
    Superior Resistance 24 hours (+6 to all saves)
    Heart Earth (+8 vs Trip/Bullrush, +24 Temp HPs, Light fortification) 12 hour
    Heart of Air (+10ft Jump) 12 hours
    Dragon skin (Black)
    Shield
    Mirror Image 6 images
    Fly 14 mins

Xtal: +3 vs Death/Negative energy effects
    Rite: +2 Saves vs Death / Fear
    AC: 12 arm +8 shield +2 dex+3 nat +5 sacred = 40

Mass Sacred Protection (+5 AC) [Mirriana]; Mass Resist Energy (acid 140 min; cold 140 min) [Merrick/Elkist]

Abilities
    (ACTIVE) Stance: Leading the Charge (+10 damage)
    Stance: Mystic Phoenix (+1 CL, +2 dodge AC, DR 2xSpell/Evil)
    [Ready] Moment Perfect Mind (Ctr)
    [Ready] Divine Surge (strike)
    [Ready] Searing strike (boost)

Last edited by DrK; 2021-05-31 at 08:45 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Similarly to my companions I'm well-warded against acid attacks. The tar isn't even an inconvenience - it didn't look like Tal was going to need help anyway - as I backtrack towards the rest of the party.

"Are they saying anything interesting?" I ask curiously. "Flame Strike!"I cast off-handedly, catching two of the dragons in the blast.

Spoiler
    Show

Move towards party. 25ft including 1 square of difficult terrain.

Cast Flame Strike. (14d6)[47] half fire half divine, ref DC21 for half.
    Spell Resistance Dragon 1 (1d20+14)[17]
    Spell Resistance Dragon 2 (1d20+14)[15]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Dragons. Now here were some foes to fight! Elkist swings her sword about, swooping through the air as she engages the nearest with her great blade of crackling electricity.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Move: Advance on one of the ambushers (Fly ~15ft, hopefully AoO is used)
    Standard: Lightning Sword (1d20+18)[21] (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon) damage (2d6+10)[15] (+8 str, +2 weapon) + shock (1d6)[3]
    Swift: Heart of Earth -> Stoneskin
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-06-01 at 05:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

The swamp explodes with flickering lights, flames and explosions as the heroes lash out with powerful magics and attacks! On the island Tal claws and grapples with dragon, both dragon and the animalistic shifter tearing great chunks off each other, although Tal's savagery and glowing claws seem to be gaining the upper hand. Then the end happens as Lan leaps forward taking flight, a flurry of force javelins hammering into the dragon, one of them bouncing off the thick scales but the others ripping into the dragon pinning it to the muddy ground as it dies from javelins and bloody claw attacks.

Back on bridge Merrick spirals into the air, a thin green beam of deadly magic ripping through the dragon's magical protections. The disintegration is savage as fully half the dragon disintegrates into dust, tail, rear legs, left wing all blasted into dust by the powerful magical assault. Even as its writhes and twists Zarina leaps skwyards on a plume of flickering flames, rays of fire flying from her hands as the three rays strike he dragon in he face, one penetrating its skull as its sinks steaming and spreading dust from its remains

Disintergrate is 2d6 per level so its a horrible 168 maximised damage

The one by Elkist shrieks in rage as it watches two of its hatchlings die, then it leaps at Elkist, its massive form able to shrug off her blow as it and its surviving dragon kin are engulfed in a pilalr of flame but both manage to emerge unscathed as their natural wards shield them from damage. The dragon by Mirriana pounces forward atop her, a hissed "You will all die! We will feast on your bones...", even as it pounces she can see its weapons rippling and becoming wraithlike.

The second flies from Elkist streaking into the air seeking to snatch the flying Merrick from air after seeing that the crazed wizard had disintergrated its brother!

Spoiler: Dragons
    Show

Dragon #3
    Fly towards Merrick and snatch and swallow! (1d20+21)[31] dam (1d6+5)[10] grapple (1d20+23)[25] vs merricks (1d20)[13] +??
    -- If grappled bite/swallow (1d8+8)[16] and SWALLOWED!

Dragon #4
    Swift: Wraithstrike
    Full attack Mirriana vs TOUCH

Bite (1d20+23)[32] dam (1d8+8)[10]
    Claw (1d20+21)[27] dam (1d6+5)[9]
    Claw (1d20+21)[27] dam (1d6+5)[7]
    Claw (1d20+16)[30] dam (1d6+5)[8]
    Wing (1d20+21)[31] dam (1d6+5)[8]
    Wing (1d20+21)[37] dam (1d6+5)[8]

Elkist gets an AoO on Dragon #3

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Post in wrong thread
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-06-06 at 02:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Even as the dragon pounces its wraithlike claws become solid once more and scrape off my armour.

"Wraithstrike! I like that spell!" I retort to the dragon's ineffective attack. My own sword has become misty and immaterial. A ring on my right hand glows. I step closer to the dragon attacking me to bring it within range and without further pause I strike back, a mighty blow suffused with divine energies, my sword passing scale as easily as claws would have passed metal.

"Everybody, help Merrick!" I instruct.
    Spoiler
    Show

Immediate action: Ring of spell battle. Re-designate target of wraithstrike spell - my weapon.

5-ft step.

Wraithstrike Divine Surge Strike: (1d20+20)[29] Vs touch AC.
    Damage: (1d8+6)[10] plus (8d8)[42] Damage counts as good and magic for bypassing DR.

Manoeuvres for next round: (9d5)[4][1][4][1][5][3][4][3][4](29) SB, DS, DR, DtF, WRT
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-06-07 at 01:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tal

Turning from the remains of the first dragon, Tal sees one of the other dragons taking flight and swallowing Merrick. That will not do!. Bunching on his haunches, he launches into the air, flying like a burning rocket straight to the flying dragon.

Spoiler: Tal Takes Flight
    Show

. . . temporarily, at least:

Full attack: Searing Charge, allowing him to charge attack, in flight, with perfect maneuverability. Not sure how much "flanking" matters with flying creatures, but as I have plenty of movement (120'), Tal will circle up and attack the dragon from whichever direction (most likely above) that gives flanking with others.

Only get the one attack (which is why he doesn't usually charge) but adds fire damage:

claw - (1d20+27)[29] damage - (2d6+16)[26] plus fire - (5d6)[15] (if it's available and matters, +2 to hit for flanking)

After that, he'll just let himself fall to the ground. The height isn't worth burning a feather fall. Just let me know how far.

Edit: Wow! What a dangerously-bad to-hit roll that was. Might need the flanking bonus after all. I'm just not used to flying.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2021-06-06 at 09:08 PM.
    Custom Class

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan nodded grimly as the dragon he and Tal teamed up on died. Unfortunately, he turned in time to see Merrick swallowed by one of the remaining two dragons. The others would be fine to solo one dragon, but he needed to help the wizard out - no matter how questionable the man’s powers might be.

Whispering two words of power, Lan felt a thrill of energy rush through his body. Moving faster for the moment, he flew towards the dragon, throwing another three javelin shots at the flying beast. Perhaps it would be enough damage to force the creature to spit Merrick out.

If not, they could always cut him free from the corpse.

Swift action - cast swift haste (lasts for (1d4)[4] rounds).
    Move action (up to 90’) to fly w/in 30’ of dragon that swallowed our wiz.
    Standard - Greater Manyshot. I messed up my bonuses last time ... greater Manyshot doesn’t apply iterative penalties... just one big penalty to your full BAB!
    Att 1 - (1d20+19)[32], Dam - (1d4+8)[12]+Skirmish - (6d6)[27] = Total: 39
    Att 2 - (1d20+19)[38], Dam - (1d4+8)[10]+Skirmish - (6d6)[29] = Total: 39
    Att 3 - (1d20+19)[35], Dam - (1d4+8)[12]+Skirmish - (6d6)[16] = Total: 28

Show
    HPs: 95 AC: 33 (26->21) FF/Touch: 21/21 (16/16)
    F +16 R +21 (+20) W +13
    1: detect fav enemies, gravity bow, embrace the wild, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride
    2: fell the greatest foes, invisibility, invisibility, <s>swift haste</s>, swift haste, exacting shot
    Effects: Swift haste (effects of haste for 3 more rounds); Flight (4 more rounds); Feat: Deadly Aim; +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours); Mass Sacred Protection (+5 AC); Mass Resist Energy (acid 140 min; cold 140 min)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-06-07 at 01:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Everything becomes constricted and dark suddenly as Merrick finds himself down the gullet of one of Illthane's brood.

Well this is a pickle.

Quickly itemizing his spell list, he sighs. It would be too hard to focus anyway, what with being crushed as he tried to cast.

Spoiler: DC 24 With a Con of 11 = Wasted Spell
    Show
    Note to sell, buy CON increasing items.

Spiteful to the end, Merrick will his shapesand headpiece into a mass of spines to irritate the dragon.

There's a small chance I can escape Taliesn, but please ask the others to try getting me out first, he asks his shifter companion.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

As the flames and the savage and brutal enhanced disintegration kill the nearest dragon to her she whirls to see Mirriana rebuffing "her" dragon before smashing it savagely in the face. At Mirriana's orders she nods, "As you say Contsable" she shoouts back, joining Lan and Talsien in raining fire at the creature. Looking skywards she rockets upwards on feeling the wind rushing through her hair and the feeling of true freedom as she swoops towards the beast following the flaming trail left by Talsien and the staying clear of Lan's deadly field of fire.

She (all 6 of her) plunge into the mass of wings, claws and teeth and bring down Sword of Aqaa hard trying to cut Merrick free! The charge savage, her weapon catching fire she dives upwards, her thumb slipping over the catch to combine the desert wind with the flask of viurlent liquid ember upon the blade!
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

AoO from the Dragon (1d20+23)[26] dam (1d8+8)[12] mirror images, Zarina on a 6 (1d6)[3]

Charge the Dragon (gets +10 damage from Leading the charge Stance)
    Swift: Searing blade boost +3d6+10 damage
    Attack (1d20+21)[27] Dam (1d12+21)[27] + (3d6+10)[19] searing boost + (3d6)[13] liquid ember; Dragons Ref save Vs DC17 to not catch fire (1d20)[11]
    17 base +2 charge +4 KDevot-2 PA

Zarina "Brightblade"
    M LG Human Warblade/Ftr/Wiz/S.Sword/Abj.Champ/ JPM 1, Level 1/1/4/1/4/ 4 (15), Init 2,
    HP 125/125 +10
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, : +12 to AC/FFooted (G.Luminous)+8 shield+3 Dragon skin = 35
    Fort 14, Ref 11, Will 8, : +6 to all
    Base Attack Bonus 13/7/2
    Fullblade +1 +16/11/6 (2d8+4, 19-20)
    MW Comp (+2) Longbow (20, 20 cold iron, 10 silver) +16/11/6 (1d8+2, X3)
    Sword Aqaa (thundering +2 sword) +17/12/7 (1d12+5(+1d6 vs undead) , 18-20
    3x Capsule: oleum, A Fire, L.Ember), Wand Chamber (Heroics): Least true death xtal (+1d6 vs undead) (+1d8 on Crit, + Hurricane Wind, + Synergy w/Lightning Sword) [

Lesser crystal of life keeping (+3 vs Death effects, Energy drain, Inflict) Gith craft Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Stacks with armour: Least crystal of Arrow Deflection (+2 AC vs ranged) Dastana +1 (+7 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 6, Cha 11
    Condition

Greater Luminous Armour (-4 to hit, +12AC) 24 hours
    Superior Resistance 24 hours (+6 to all saves)
    Heart Earth (+8 vs Trip/Bullrush, +24 Temp HPs, Light fortification) 12 hour
    Heart of Air (+10ft Jump) 12 hours
    Dragon skin (Black)
    Shield
    Mirror Image 6 images
    Fly 14 mins
    Knowledge Devotion +4

Xtal: +3 vs Death/Negative energy effects
    Rite: +2 Saves vs Death / Fear
    AC: 12 arm +8 shield +2 dex+3 nat +5 sacred = 40

Mass Sacred Protection (+5 AC) [Mirriana]; Mass Resist Energy (acid 140 min; cold 140 min) [Merrick/Elkist]

Abilities
    (ACTIVE) Stance: Leading the Charge (+10 damage)
    Stance: Mystic Phoenix (+1 CL, +2 dodge AC, DR 2xSpell/Evil)
    [Ready] Moment Perfect Mind (Ctr)
    [Ready] Divine Surge (strike)
    [Ready] Searing strike (boost)

Just Elkist to go

13. - Top - End - #73

Merrick

As the dragon slumps dead around him, Merrick shimmies out of the new opening created by his companions.

There is no dignified way to emerge from a body that swallowed you.

He nods his thanks and rises back up into the air.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Elkist turns and swoops back across the miasma to fight the sole remaining dragon in unison with her friend.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Full: Lightning Sword (1d20+18)[32] (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon) damage [roll]2d6+10[roll] [16](+8 str, +2 weapon) + shock (1d6)[5]
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-06-11 at 06:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

The flying dragon is savagely assailed even as it snatches and gobbles down its prize! Talsien and Zarina both streak up into the air, the shifter trailing fire behind him and both savage the dragon with a great slice of claws or the swing of the flaming Sword of Aqaa and massive rents are torn in the dragon, a single image of Zarina's vanishing into flickering motes of light as the dragon swings its head around trying to bite her. Flapping weakly it tries to gain altitude, confident it can outpace the slowly falling Talsien and soaring Zarina but before it can make good on its escape a trio of javelins streak upwards striking it in the head, the force of the magically powered skewers penetrating the lizard's eye socket and plunging into its brain. The beast collapses from the sky, the impact on the water a sudden shock in the constricting and corrosive darkness for Merrick. the water filling the stomach is more worrying but he is able to climb up the slack water filled gullet and pull himself free and float above the brackish water. A muttered “There is no dignified way to emerge from a body that swallowed you.”.... to the others

On the the darkbridge of force the final dragon lets out a high pitched roar of pain as its claws suddenly harden and bounce of Mirriana's solid armour before her own sword becomes wispy and plunges through its scales. Even as it recoils from that Elkist swoops in and slices down with a brutal blow in a shower of crackling lightning sparks.

The dragon roars more before turning and in a great splash of water that soaks Mirriana and Elkist flaps it batlike wings before flapping into the air streaking down the river bed trying to gain altitude even as it trails blood in a shower behind it.... A great agonised shriex of "Naximarra shall have her revenge! I will come return and you, or your children's children will be mine...."

Spoiler: Dragon #4
    Show

Withdraw action to avoid the AoO from Elkist and Mirriana
    Flap 160ft away (currently 130ft horizontal and at 40ft altitude) - silly clumsy flyer

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"You can't escape us Naximarra! We have your blood!" I call after the retreating dragon, indicating my and Elkist's bloodied swords. "You think we'd let you go after a threat like that? We can track you to the ends of hell itself! Come back and face your end with dignity! Or yield we may yet be merciful. If you make us do this the hard way we'll just dig you out of whatever hole you go to ground in!"

"Constricting Chains!"

Even as I weaken slightly, luminous chains burst from the swamp to bind the dragon in place, preventing it from moving away from us. As a further security, I grasp the metamagic rod hanging from my belt.

"Quickened Control Winds!"

Winds swirl around me as I mutter words of command too quiet for the dragon to hear before the previously light winds raise to a howl, threatening to check her progress and bear her back to us. An eye of calm surrounds the party however.

"Well, let's go get her." I suggest to the party, preparing to summon my griffon when I next get a chance. "If she doesn't yield then we'll probably have to kill her."

Spoiler
    Show

Holy Word -> Constricting Chains (sanctified).
    No save, no spell resistance. Range 240ft.
    Strength DRAIN (1D2)[1]
    The creature is entangled, taking a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to effective Dexterity. Moreover, the chains are anchored to the nearest immobile object (usually the floor), preventing the bound creature from moving. An entangled creature attempting to cast a spell must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell.

The chains automatically constrict the bound creature for 3d6 points of nonlethal damage per round unless the caster (as a free action) commands the chains not to deal damage during any given round.

The constricting chains have AC 20, 5 hp per caster level (maximum 100 hp), and damage reduction 10/magic. They are immune to energy-based attacks, nonlethal damage, and all spells except dispel magic and similar effects. They are not subject to critical hits. Half of all damage dealt to the chains (rounded down) is transferred to the target.

A successful DC 32 Strength check breaks the chains and ends the spell. An entangled creature can also attempt to escape (requiring 1 minute) with a DC 40 Escape Artist check.

Note: A clumsy flier must maintain forward speed to remain aloft or it will fall. This spell prevents that.

Quickened Control Winds (Air Domain Spell Level 5) using metamagic rod.
    560ft radius Windstorm directed toward the party. Large/Huge Creatures are checked. Large flying creatures are blown back. Fort DC21 negates.
    80ft diameter eye of calm around the party.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-06-14 at 05:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon flies fast before a torrent of magic streams from the war priestess. Massive winds erupt around, the breeze pulling the parties cloaks and hair blowing ina most dramatic manner but hurling the dragon tumbling backwards through the air out of control. Even as it tries to spin and fly with the wind a mass of glowing tentacles rise from the swamp and ensnare and with a thunderous splash and pathetic mewling the dragon slams into the mud with a splatter of mud wrapped in the shimmering chains that hold her fast.

A bellowed "RELEASE ME, RELEASE ME OR FACE MY WRATH..." soon fades to a more pathetic and low pitched hissing tone, "Release me, I beg you. I shall leave this land and fly a thousand league from here. You and your blood shall never see me again. My mother's warren lies close and her hoard can be yours..." The dragon's pleading at once both pathetic and a lie. Both Elkist and Mirriana realise that although it tells the truth that it will leave this place and leave the hoard, it will likley spend a decade plotting vengenace and return.

Zarina flies down beside Lan and hovers in the air, her hair streaming out behind her. "This creature is pathetic, but is a thing born of evil. Who knows how many innocents it has slain Constable. We should kill it here and call it justice." A sshe speaks fire blooms in her eyes and she stands ready to do it for Mirriana.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

"That's what she was, Zarina, but maybe there is an opportunity for her to change," I speak within earshot of the prisoner.

I wait for everyone to gather round before dismissing the chains. "I don't think these will be necessary. You're not going to try and escape, are you Naximarra? You've seen a taste of what we can do to you if you try. And I would find you anyway."

The binding duration wouldn't have lasted much longer, though the storm will rage for hours yet.

"Did you not know, Naximarra? What your mother did to your infant siblings in the marsh? The abominations they became? Did she tell you you were too precious to sacrifice to Kyuss like all the rest of us? Did you believe her?"

I sigh and wave a hand as if these questions are of no matter, and adopt a sympathetic and compassionate expression.

"You say you'll leave this place and none of mine will ever see you again. I don't believe you. But I do believe you want to live, Naximarra. And I didn't come here to kill you or your siblings. I want only to secure safety for the people of Eel Town and the Shanties and make sure all of your mother's works of Kyuss are undone. So I think perhaps I can see how we could spare your life."

"However. I can't just let you go back to preying on the weak, plotting revenge, and indulging your baser instincts. I have an opportunity now to save many from your future self and my Goddess would censure me were I not to take it."

"If I am to spare you, you will have to change. And you will have to learn to want to change, Naximarra. It will be difficult... But not so difficult, I think, as facing your fate in The Abyss."

"Every day people wake up and choose who they are going to be. I firmly believe all it takes to be a different person is sufficient motivation to choose otherwise. I believe you have that motivation Naximarra. You don't want to die, and I don't particularly want to kill you."

"Tell me you would rather change than die and I can give you that chance. I will send you to my mentor Manzorian at the Fortress of Unknown Depths to earn atonement. When we are satisfied you have reformed and are no longer a danger to the innocent, you will then be free."

"Sadly it would be remiss of me not to circle back round to the not trusting you part of this. I don't have to trust you. If you make the choice to live, I will place you under a Quest. It is a powerful curse, not easily removed. If you go back on the terms of our agreement you will sicken until you recant. I could do this against your will, but I won't. You must make this decision freely, or as freely as circumstances allow. Think of it as a locking in of your choice. The casing time is ten minutes and your magical defences will not be an issue," I explain.

"If you would prefer death, we will try and make it painless.
    We can spare a little time for you to make your decision, but our own quest won't wait for long."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-06-16 at 10:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The look on Lan’s face clearly said his perspective on as in line with Zarina’s. But he held his tongue for now, giving the dragon nothing but a dark scowl. The old adage of the scorpion and the frog came to mind.

Acorpions stings, snakes bite and leopards have spots ... and black dragons kill...

Standing by

Show
    F +16 R +21 (+20) W +13
    2: fell the greatest foes, invisibility, invisibility, <s>swift haste</s>, swift haste, exacting shot
    Effects: Swift haste (effects of haste for 3 more rounds); Flight (4 more rounds); Feat: Deadly Aim; +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours); Mass Sacred Protection (+5 AC); Mass Resist Energy (acid 140 min; cold 140 min)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Tal watches the exchange with interest. Flexing his claws occasionally, his muscles tensed and ready to spring should the dragon attempt to take flight again -- though it'd not get far against that storm -- but he "says" nothing to the others. Musing instead on whether one really can change his nature, or if there is a fundamental core to being that must always express itself. Can an evil dragon choose to be good? If so, does that not mean a good hero could choose to be evil? Could I choose to be evil? The thought sends an involuntary shiver through him.

Oh, the things I could show you!
    Custom Class

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Elkist flies towards where the dragon has fallen, her blade guiding her through the air. With the winds whipping about the marsh she descends and forges through the muck for the final approach.

She positions herself at the beast's head, sword held firmly at the ready. For her the decision is simple - penance or death. She waits for the nod from Mirriana.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon hisses, its tails sending up a column of water as it cuts into the water it barely concealed rage. But then its draconic eyes see Zarina, Lan and Elkist all poised ready to end its days and the fight leaves the massive wyrm. Its uncoils slightly, resting its scaled maw upon the DarkWay bridge by Mirriana, its saucer sized eye staring into her face. "I will submit to this quest and this humiliation. I may change, I may not, but I will serve the penance you set me."

All of the party can sense the dragon is telling the truth in accepting the geas, but none of you seem sure the dragon truly wants to change...!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

I nod in acknowledgement of the dragon's decision, then begin quietly praying to construct the spell. For almost ten minutes nothing much happens, but as the spell nears completion I speak aloud:

"I, Mirriana Conlan, Sheriff of Diamond Lake, Chosen of Mystara, Champion of Greyhawk, and Heir of Zosiel, Quest you, Naximarra Ilthane's daughter, to atone for your past misdeeds, to learn how to live unselfishly and control your darker instincts, and to want to."

"For the Duration of this Quest you, Naximarra, shall not cause harm to befall by action, or knowingly by inaction, to any sapient creature."

"For the Duration of this Quest you, Naximarra, shall not attempt to circumvent this Quest."

"For the Duration of this Quest you, Naximarra, shall take tutelage from Archmage Manzorian or his duly appointed persons and submit to any additional securities he may deem necessary. "

"For the Duration of This Quest you, Naximarra, shall undertake any tasks set by Manzorian commensurate with your atonement and study."

"This Quest shall be Discharged when Archmage Manzorian, being satisfied you have fulfilled the terms, releases you."

With a final flourish the spell discharges, a shining mark of obligation hanging in the air above Naximarra's forehead before fading to invisibility. I smile kindly at the Dragon, waving my companions back. Another wave and the storm around us vanishes.

"I appreciate this will be difficult for you Naximarra. I don't desire to add to your humiliation, therefore I will stick to practicalities. You will find Archmage Manzorian at the Fortress of Unknown Depths. It is formidably defended and you will not be welcome unannounced. Instead, go to the town of Magepoint and wait. Tell them Mirriana Conlan sent you and arrangements will be made. Go in peace."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-06-21 at 07:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

With a palpable pressure in the air the magical geas settles into the dragon that screeches as the quest to serve crashes down on its being. Trembling and shaking Naximmarra raises her head, terror in her eyes at the immense longing to serve, such a servile attitude so opposite to a dragon’s assumed place in the order of things.

Eventually she shakes her head and nods. “I will do as you ask and seek this arch mage of Mage point.” Still reeling she turns and flaps clumsily up in the air, still a little stunned from the impact.

Zarina watches the beast flee, a look of contempt on her face for the beast and then raises an eye at Mirriana. “I hope this was the right choice Mir’. We could have eradicated this bloodline from the world . I fear change will be impossible for such a beast though I pray to the Lightning Lord that I am wrong.”

The heroes looks at the shattered bodies. One mostly reduced to dust, one sunk and broken, the third a tangled mass of blood and scales atop the island. Although on the island it can be seen that their is a small pool day in a hollow and in the centre of the pool a large mound with a muddy entrance way that lies half in the water like a giant otters’ burrow. The liquid you estimate would be maybe waist high for most of you in the 15ft diameter hole

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"I trust Manzorian will be able to handle her Zarina," I reply. "And if not, well, I'll know where to find her," I say as I wipe the dragon's blood from my blade with a scrap of cloth from my cloak with a knowing look, carefully storing the bloodied rag in a pouch.

"Are there any useful items on the bodies?" I ask. "If not we should see what we can find in their den."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan watched in stoic silence as Mir administered ‘justice’ against the dragon. He raised an eyebrow at one of the phrases - “... atone for your past misdeeds, to learn how to live unselfishly and control your darker instincts, and to want to."

... and to want to ...

Is that what we do now? Take free will and mandate desires? Is this better than death? The halfling watched as the dragon flew off, his eyes narrowing as Zarina spoke her piece and Mirriana answered. Aloud, he said “That dragon deserved death, as much as any other monster we’ve faced. Don’t be surprised if this comes back to haunt us ... or your descendants.” The memory of the attack on the town was still fresh in his mind as the day it happened.

He looked like he was going to say more, then shook his head and moved to search the bodies and the area. Once they found the entrance, he nodded to it and waved to Taliesn. ”Better let us scout ahead while someone notifies the mage. Give me a hand, Tal?”[/i]

A little perspective from Lan. Ready to scout ahead with our resident Animorph
    Listen - (1d20+19)[38], Search - (1d20+19)[27], Spot - (1d20+19)[36]
    Move silently - (1d20+21)[40], Hide - (1d20+21)[23]

Show
    F +16 R +21 (+20) W +13
    Effects: Feat: Deadly Aim; +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours); Mass Sacred Protection (+5 AC); Mass Resist Energy (acid 140 min; cold 140 min)

27. - Top - End - #87

Merrick
    My father once said ‘the only true way to defeat an enemy is to become his friend.’ Of course he ended dying by my mother’s hand…

He trailed off. If he had a point he was not about to share it.

Instead he calmly meditates as Buer restores the damaged skin from his brief introduction to the dragon digestive system.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Tal pauses for a few seconds, focusing his attention inward as his wounds rapidly close and skin knits back together, leaving not even a scar.
    Spoiler: healing
    Show
    Three rounds of full-round concentration to heal 10 pts/round. Taking 10, he automatically passes the first check (DC 37), and can't fail the next 2 checks even if he rolled a 1. Some of us -- *ahem* -- put ranks into concentration

Nodding to Lan, he then extends all his senses as he looks toward the marshy island at the end of the dark bridge.
    Spoiler: looking
    Show
    Usual detect evil range 60', mindsight range 100', good ol' fashioned looking, listening, and smelling (Spot and Listen both 15, leaving any rolls thereon to DrK). Unless anything else is going on, Tal will make his way forward with Lan to explore.
    Custom Class

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Tal and Lan pad forward and soon find amidst the rank mud and boggy pools a portal down into the heart of the mound. Its a 30ft "drop" through the hole to the muddy cave below that Tal can easily jump and Lan has a choice with the his magical flying or climbing the rough roots filled walls. As they descend into the cavern, Merrik and the ladies waiting above, the earthen walled cavern reeks of sharp bitter chemicals strong enough to water the eyes and steal the breath. Tal is almost overcome by the alchemical tang, his sensitive noise burning with the fumes. The walls a tangled mass of mud and roots whilst boggy water drips constantly from the walls gathering in puddles on the floor and collecting in a fuming pool to the east.

In the northen bulge of the chamber four large ornate glass canisters once stood although now they have been shattered and the contents washed into the fuming pool, hazardous contents judging by the burnt marks they have left on the ground. To the north east a ledge is filled with all manner of smashed crates, boxes and jars of various types. To the east more jars and boxes lie shattered. The devastation in the cave is immsense, it looks like a storm has passed through destroying everything although all the confused tracks Lan can see are of the dragons.... Melted coins, baubles and partially buried gems are scattered around the floor and corroded steal "objects" jut from the pool.

As Lan surveys the scene he doesn't see danger, and as Tal joins him the shifter can feel the presence of emanating from the pool of toxic liquid but his telepathic abailities detect no other thoughts but Lan by his side and his friends above

OOC

Fort DC 21 or sickened from fumes (Tal take as a -4 as he has scent)
    Feel free to loot or search for traps etc... as you see fit

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan gazed around the lair, moving silently as he searched for signs of more enemies. It looked like someone or something had thrown a tantrum done here. While the pragmatic part of him wanted to search for items of use, the survivalist in him warned him to caution. When he took a step towards the pool, Tal gave him a warning and the Halfling paused. Thinking to his companion, ‘said’ ’Twll the others to come down, but let them know what you felt. And tell them to try and be quiet.

Oh, and if they have any minions to call forth, we can use them as a scout.”

Lan has to climb down since his flight ended. He will wait for the others, scanning/scouting quietly away from the pool of evil.
    Show
    F +16 R +21 (+20) W +13