New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt4

Mirriana

"I've heard of Darl Quethos," I say hesitantly. "He's one of Vecna's most powerful mortal servants, a master of clerical magic. I'd heard rumours that he'd come into possession of a powerful artifact, but now I've seen his face and hand I know it's worse!"

"I now recognise him from the prophecy we saw in Kuluth Mar."

I place my drink back on the following disc of force and stand to leave.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Lashonna. If you didn't mind, I think we should depart at once."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-03-17 at 09:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl Snowstrider, Halfling scout

Lan watched as Lashona displayed some scene from stormy seas, his eyes focused on the details of each person that appeared. Instinctively, he hated them all, and knew this would come down to having to kill every one of them. Every practical, Lan looked for signs of weakness, or clues on how to defend against the most obvious of threats. When it ended, he turned back to the others, glad that Lashona had at least been surprised by the death of her former acquaintance. Good to know that even a being such as her could be caught off guard.

When Zarina spoke, he frowned in confusion, then snorted. "Uh, thanks. I'll try to keep from falling apart during the fight." Smirking, he turned to Mirrana, clearing his throat. "I'm for taking care of this lot as much as anyone else ... but how in the nine hells do we get to an island hidden in a storm that we don't even know where it's at? I can navigate the Cut and almost any other terrain on land you could find, but I'm no sailor ..."

Glancing back at Lashona, he asked, "What about you, Lady? You're obviously an information broker ... what do you know about getting there? Can you tell us where your lost puppy was when he got killed?"

OOC - Might as well ask the 'nice' lady :D
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 95 AC: 22 Touch/Flatfooted: 17/16 Move 30' Initiative +7
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Skills: Listen/Spot +19 Search +20 Move Silently/Hide +22 Tumble +36 D Device +22
    Spells (4/6/6/4/2/2) 0: create water, guidance, mending, light
    1: detect fav enemies, gravity bow, embrace the wild, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride
    2: fell the greatest foes, invisibility, invisibility, swift haste, swift haste, exacting shot
    3: decoy image, find the gap, find the gap, foebane
    4: aspect of earth hunter, deeper darkvision
    5: summon nature’s ally V, summon nature’s ally V
    Javelins (+23, 1d4+2 / +24, 1d4+3 w/in 30', bane vs undead)
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker; 0/3 Scout's headband; Winged Vest 4/5
    Effects: Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 2 hour)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Lashona looks at Lan, a hint of steel in her eyes and her eyes clasped tightly under her breasts the slightest hint of annoyance.

Spoiler: Lan only
    Show

To his true sight her wings flair some 50ft outstretched as the gargantuan creature superimposed upon the frail elf rears above, a flash of red in her eyes as the long canines reach above you, her snout and maw long enough to eat you whole! Only a faint smell of perfume exuding from her as there isn’t even any breath washing over you

She tsks slightly and nods at Mirriana Haste May be advised. As for your diminutive friend, thanks to the scrying on poor Heskin I can now place the isle on the map with enough certainty to teleport. The isle wanders so the window for such a feat is short, a matter of a day or so.”

She walks to a shelf and pulls out a sheaf of scrolls, I have but a single scroll of teleport sufficient to carry you there if you have the ability to activate it. If you have your own means then I am sure you can travel back. I suspect like many Demi planes if you transport there magically the nature of the plane will shunt you to a particular location, an entry way in the planar bubble if you will, certainly there are planes in the abyss and the seven heavens that function in such a way. The fabled ivory labyrinth being one such place.”

Pausing she looks at Mirriana and Elkist, a glance that lingers for slightly longer than is comfortable. “When you recover the knowledge of the Library of Last Resort please return. We must share Dragotha’s weakness as far as we are able.” To Mirriana and Elkist both can pick up tye hatred for Dragotha no matter her attempts to conceal it.

OOC

A night to prepare if you wish and then teleport or sail
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I sigh wistfully. It would have taken much more than an evening to get my shield enchanted the way I'd been planning, but I see no way of delaying for that long now.

"I just need to collect my gear and then I'll be ready to go. Whilst I can see the benefit of waiting until we've fully replenished our spells, if we were to teleport tonight we'd be able to do a little reconnoitring and be better placed to make our selections come the morning."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Unless you can scry through time as well as distance, the Vecnans have not reached the isle yet. I have depleted my most potent spells, but I trust my companions can keep me safe until I have time to replenish on-island.

The tactical advantage of getting there first and being able to set the battlefield outstripped the disadvantage.

The scroll will be of great use. Can you offer any other material aid?

Not diplomatic, he knew, but time was of the essence and this unsettling elf had a shared interest in their success.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2022-03-17 at 07:20 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Lashona looks slightly crossly at Merrick and offers Mirriana cool nod. "They are close. The storms that surround the isle are not huge, violent but not huge so they must already almost be at the isle. Although the isle appears a blasted wasteland and the way to enter the demi-plane where the druids hid the library may take them longer." She looks at him and slowly shakes her head. "I do have some minor magics available if that would help... But the teleportation scrolls you can assuredly have if you think that would help"

She describes a smattering of level 1 and 2 partially charged wands and scrolls she has available. If there is anything in particular you want then name it and we'll see what she has

As she speaks Merrick can consider the foes he saw in the scrying pool, the red skinned creature most assuredly an Efreeti, a genie-like creature from the elemental plane of Fire and judging by its ornate jewelry Merrick would suspect it would be an Emir of some kind (a middling noble rank amongst the teaming masses of the City of Brass). But something experienced with planar gates and planar travel.

She pauses as she regards each of you carefully, "If you leave tonight, have a care, The island is dangerous and many have gone there, but few have returned. I have no concrete information for what you seek, save that there is a circle of ancient menhirs or stones on a beach that houses the secrets of passage into the demi-plane. I am not sure where you will appear when you arrive but look to the coast for the stones, the interior is but a shadow left from when they enacted the great ritual.."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks at her silk gown, a hand clasping where the sword should be. "I can go tonight as well Mirriana, my sorcerous powers have not been taxed too severely today." She looks at Lashona and offers a small curtsy of sorts, "Thank you for the information and the help Milady. We will endeavor to defeat Darl QUethos and locate Drgotha's phylactery." Looking at Elkist and Lan she grins, "I guess we had best return to Kord's stronghold and garb for war."

Then in a quieter voice she leans into the Priestess, "What of the Dawnstar, do we bring it with us or leave it with someone here?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Zarina "Brightblade"
    M LG Human Warblade/Ftr/Wiz/S.Sword/Abj.Champ/ JPM 1, Level 1/1/4/1/4/ 4 (15), Init 2,
    HP 106 / 125 (+30 )
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, : +12 to AC/FFooted (G.Luminous)+8 shield = 32
    Fort 14, Ref 11, Will 8, : +6 to all
    Base Attack Bonus 13/7/2
    Fullblade +1 +16/11/6 (2d8+4, 19-20)
    MW Comp (+2) Longbow (20, 20 cold iron, 10 silver) +16/11/6 (1d8+2, X3)
    Sword Aqaa (thundering +2 sword) +17/12/7 (1d12+5(+1d6 vs undead) , 18-20
    3x Capsule: oleum, A Fire, L.Ember), Wand Chamber (Heroics): Least true death xtal (+1d6 vs undead) (+1d8 on Crit, + Hurricane Wind, + Synergy w/Lightning Sword) [

Lesser crystal of life keeping (+3 vs Death effects, Energy drain, Inflict) Gith craft Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Stacks with armour: Least crystal of Arrow Deflection (+2 AC vs ranged) Dastana +1 (+7 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 6, Cha 11
    Condition

Superior Resistance 24 hours (+6 to all saves)

Xtal: +3 vs Death/Negative energy effects
    Rite: +2 Saves vs Death / Fear

Abilities
    Stance: Leading the Charge (+10 damage)
    Stance: Mystic Phoenix (+1 CL, +2 dodge AC, DR 2xSpell/Evil)
    [Ready] Moment Perfect Mind (Ctr)
    [Ready] Divine Surge (strike)
    [Ready] Searing strike (boost)

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Back in the Temple of Kord

It takes an hour or so for Zarina to get ready before she joins the others in the feasting hall / boxing ring that forms the heart of the Temple of Kord. Gone is the tired looking silken dress and back is the tattered and threadbare green dress with her chain shirt underneath and bandoleer of potions and alchemicals over the top with twin massive swords slung on her back and heavy greaves strapped on her arms. Her thin gauntlets are back on her arms, one cool silver, one dull cold iron and she appears tired even as she is garbed for war.
    "So we head back into danger once more. At least it cannot be worse than the Spire of Long shadows..." she adds hopefully as she looks to her companions all garbed for battle. To their eyes the gleaming luminous armour and dragonscales that often cover Zarina are missing. "My arcane power is somewhat depleted from the dragons and the Ebon God in the cellars below. But I will still give a good acount of myself." she says looking at Elkist and Mirriana with a small grin.

Then nodding towards Lan she kneels down, "I can still offer some combat skills if there is something that would aid you, it would last several hours so may help in the landing upon Tilagos.."

Show

She is ofereing Lan the Heroics spell if he wants a bonus combat feat for 130 minutes

---

After letting the others share a last few words as well she nods towards Merrick as he pulls out the teleport scroll and visualizing the map in Lashona's drawing room there is a snap of displaced air as you are teleported hundreds of miles towards distant Tilagos. The freezing air, howling wind and sideways rain hammers into you with savage fury as you slam into the ground on a rocky promontory. The black shards of rock, like ancient ribs of a monstrous jut just above the sea where you have landed, the wind whipping about you and the rain and waves pelting down atop you...

Through the spray and the wind you can see the rocky spire leads maybe half a mile inland to where the cliffs climb up, wrapped in spray from the waves and the open blackened rocky desolation of Tilagos can be seen... Peering through slitted eyes along the coast you can see nowhere where a ship could make landing with eye line, although the island does not appear very large and curves around out of sight quickly being eaten up in the storm. Pointing towards the coast and the cliffs and rocks further inland Zarina has to shout over the wind..."We should head inland and see if we can find shelter or a way up into the island's heart. If anything the wind should calm and we can try and find a way to access the druids demiplane."

Spoiler: Weather
    Show

Its cold so Fort Saves every Hour
    Its very Windy, so Fort saves (in combat only) to not be checked by the wind
    Its very rainy so flames are limited, concealment for all and -8 to perception checks

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

In the temple
    Lan turned to the others and said quietly, "She's a f&*kin' dragon ... and just a little bit stuck up. Don't know how much we trust her, but she seems to hate this Dragotha, so that's good, yeah?"" He gathered his gear, sharpened his blades and prepared for the journey.
    However, without time for the mages to make any more trinkets, he didn't have much else to do but grab his pack and weapons. He made sure they had the items Lashona had given them, uncertain if they would need them or not, but prepared none-the-less.

On the island

Peering around, Lan frowned, pulling his cloak tighter. "Well, this sucks. Guess we better get movin'. Anyone got something to take the edge off the storm?" Lan moved to find a path inland, hopefully away from the cold wind.

OOC - Survival - (1d20+13)[29], group won't leave tracks based on his ranger abilities. Will be checking for tracks from the other group along the way.

Don't forget we have 2 elixirs of swimming, 2 potions of water breathing, Wand lesser vigour (18) and a Wand of lesser restore (16). Do we have any endure elements to help with the Fort checks? Would that be too much meta-gaming to have picked some stuff up before we departed? Or would that have made sense given knowledge of the environment?

Also, will Lan be at a disadvantage with the winds, due to being small?

Show
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Skills: Listen/Spot +19 Search +20 Move Silently/Hide +22 Tumble +36 D Device +22
    1: detect fav enemies, gravity bow, embrace the wild, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride
    2: fell the greatest foes, invisibility, invisibility, swift haste, swift haste, exacting shot
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker; 0/3 Scout's headband; Winged Vest 4/5
    Effects: Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 2 hour)

10. - Top - End - #220

Merrick

Merrick bends into the wind, utterly miserable. He could take on the form of a Red Dragon, speak directly to extraplanar powers and banish demons with a word, but nothing in his repertoire could deal with this insufferable wind!!

We must seek a shelter! This rain and wind will eat up alive if we stay in it.”
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

The group begin to scramble down the narrow rocky spar that their teleport scroll dropped them on. The wind howls around them as they slip and scramble over the narrow rocky spear that is nly some 30ft wide in places with the wild waves splashing over them as they make their way, hunched down against the wind and sting rain. The spar ends maybe around 300ft away as it rises up a steep slope of black rocks and crevices onto the island proper, at least this way allowing some chance of scaling the cliffs that dominate this face of the island.

However... even as you battle down the narrow rocks there are shapes ahead! The waves smash over them as they appear out of the dim light and smashing waves. A trio of forms... All manner of spikes, scales and sharp apendages. The lead one, not the largest of the shapes. Two of them appear as massive scaled forms, huge, towering 20ft tall and the pair of them taking up the full width of the rocky path with faces remincent of sharks or lizards. Standing behind the two massive giant creatures is a smaller form, some 10ft tall, a swirling translucent humaoid shape seemingly crafted from the swirling water itself. Its eyes glow and crackle with lightning and a trident is held in one hand. The two massive creatures clearly eschewing any subtlety clutch hug shafts of spiked coral.

In your heads, audible over the crash of thunder you can hear a watery voice pulsing and waning, "This island is forbidden. there can be no mercy for those would intrude, your spirits shall join with the everstorm!"

OOC

Initiative

Mirriana, Lan
    Watery Bad guys
    Elkist, Merrick, Talsien, Zarina

You are on a narrow spar of black sharp rock 30ft (and 300ft from the cliffs that lead up onto the island and @80ft from the top where it drops into the ocean)
    The ground is slippery (so Balance DC10 checks for moving faster than half speed)
    - Occasional Waves may wash over the rocks (at random)
    - Enemies are 70ft away - 2 huge ones that look like blue scaled shark headed giants with massive clubs of spiked coral and behind them a large humanoid form of shimmering water and lightning with a trident

Wind and Rain:
    • -4 to spot and listen
    • Targets > 30ft away have concealment
    • Ranged attacks are at -4
    • Wind strength needs Fort DC18 to move normally or checked and unable to move
    • Flying needs Fort DC 23 or blow 2d6x10ft in random direction
    • Storm surge in the sea is DC28 swim checks to avoid the drowning and smashing off the rocks
    • Fire spells are impeded CL20 to use them
    • Water/ Electricity spells are enhanced - automatically empowered or CL+2 (whichever is appropriate)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

"A dragon? That's surprising!" I reply to Lan at his revelations. "I think we'd do well not to trust her. I got the impression several times that she was hiding something, and she enjoyed watching Heskin die a lot more than she meant to let on. Still, she's right that we can't let Dragotha's minions find his phylactery. We've got no choice to proceed, but I'd think twice about dealing with her again if we can avoid it."

A quick change of armour and a teleport later and we find ourselves in much less hospitable environs challenged by unknown foes.

"This is a bad tactical situation," I remark, regarding the winds, waves, and slippery path that puts us as the mercy of both. "They look equipped for this sort of fight, but we are not. If I'd had more time I could have conjured us a fortress," I mutter disconsolately. "I have one idea, it might work."

"Lady Mystara hear my wish! Push these monsters off this cliff!"

Before us a large hand of force manifests in the rain and slams unerringly into the smaller creature of water and lighting!

Spoiler
    Show
    Spontaneous 7th level Domain Spell - Limited Wish. Replicate 6th level Sorcerer/Wizard Spell - Bigsby's Forceful Hand!

Bull Rush (1d20+14)[23] (off the spar if possible)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Squinting to see through the wind and rain, Lan agreed with Mir - this was an ambush that they had no business engaging in. But something else bothered the halfling, and he realized it after a moment. Before the Chosen of Mystara could cast her spell, he tapped her leg and called out over the wind, "I'm all for a quick end to any fight, but what about that other team? If they got here first, how'd they get by? And if we're first, do you want to make it easier on them? There's gotta be a better way to get past this lot that leaves 'em to protect the island ..."

OOC - Wait, is Lan being the voice of reason? Mebbe ... he just doesn't want to fight were we don't need to. And if these are guardians, maybe we should 'parlay' first?
    Show
    F +16 R +21 W +13

14. - Top - End - #224

If I’m not killed/they’re not killed

Merrick

Fine, none asked, none given.

Astaroth screams in futile rage as Merrick draws the vestige’s essence into his spell.

Fumbling in the wind, Merrick rubs a fleck of rabbit’s fur against an amber rod. A bright blue arc crackles around him and a bolt of lightning flies at his soggy assailants.

Spoiler: Merrick casts Maximized Chain Lightning
    Show
    target the speaker, then closest sidekick, then the last one. Empowered by weather, maximized by vestige metamagic 14d6 (maximized 112*1.5 = 128 ref DC 22 for half 64) no roll due to maximized, then 13d6 (117 DC 22 ref for half 58) then 12d6 (108 ref half 54)

Would it not be hilarious if they were immune to electric?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

As the figuers appear in the storm Lan steps forward to suggest a parlay but his voice in lost in the crashing storm as a wave smashes past. Mirriana summons down the literal hand of a goddess and suddenly the smallest of the creatures is picked up and hurled sideways into the thrashing water... The two massive figures ignoring the loss of their supporting caster unerring stride forward, their massive feet stepping easily over the sharp rocks ignoring the weather. A vast bolt of crackling lightning flows from Merrick smashing into the figures and arcing in to the waves after the others but it makes the shark headed giants grin with their toothed maws. The one on the left pauses and holds up it hand, electricity crackling around its fist before it hurls a massive arc of lighting back at the party. The crackling energy slamming into Merrick before arcing to everyone else. The second merely strides to within 15ft of Zarina at the front of the party and swings the huge club at her, the blow seeking to smash her from her feet with its awesome force.

Shark Giants
    Giant 1: Advance to within 30ft of the party. CHain lightning at Merrick (18d6)[54] x 1.5 (empowered) DC 18 Reflex for Half
    --- ALL other PCS take half the damage, Reflex DC 18 for 1/4

Giant 2: Advance to within 15ft of Zarina, Awesome BLOW (1d20+22)[42] dam (4d6+21)[34]
    --- If hit then Ref Save = Damage (1d20+11)[23] or thrown 10ft to the edge of the black rock (very close to the edge)

The figure that had vanished into the dark waters pulls itself free from the waves, rolling across the waves, its blue body glimmering composed partially of the very water of the sea. Its rises to its feet, eyes crackling with blue fury as a swirling ball appears around it granting it immunity to some magids. Its hand then gestures at Mirriana and a flurry of small orbs slam into the priestess

Elemental Stormcaster

Move out of the water
    Cast Lesser Globe invulnerability
    Quickeend magic missile vs Mirriana (5d4+5)[15]

16. - Top - End - #226

Merrick

Merrick experiences a big rush of regret as he activates the mystical eye on his forehead.

Spoiler: Third Eye Dampening… Sorry Z…
    Show
    (1d20+8)[11] Reflex
    14 damage *1.5 for fail (21)
    7 damage *1.5 if successful (11)
    Unless I grossly misinterpreted the rules about third eye dampening as well.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks to Merrick as she see's the electrical build up, a cry of "no, they are beasts of the storm it will do nothing" swallowed by the winds and the crack of lightning emanating from Merrick. Seconds later she griamces as the lightning washes over her, thankfully the ancient Ring of the Wind Dukes absorbs some of the damage. The relief is short lived as she feels a bone shattering impact and screams as most of her ribs shatter under the club that is larger than her impacting her body. Her world turns upside down and she opens her eyes to look at the black rocks flickering in the lightning, pain in her side and face in the pools of sea water.

Ribs protesting and body screaming in pain she pushes herself upright, leaning on the sword of Aqaa to raise herself to stare at the giant some 25ft away. A muttered "I am the storm, the firestorm" under her breath as she pulls down the power of flames, fighting the frigid boreal wind to channel fire at the giants and at the same time a wave of her summons a shimmering protective dome around her

Show

Move action: stand up
    Swifty: Shield spell
    Standard: Cone of Fire catching both the giants (15d6)[54] damage
    - Ref saves (2d20)[6][12](18) for saves vs DC21

Zarina "Brightblade"
    M LG Human Warblade/Ftr/Wiz/S.Sword/Abj.Champ/ JPM 1, Level 1/1/4/1/4/ 4 (15), Init 2,
    HP 13 / 125
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, +8 shield = 27
    Base Attack Bonus 13/7/2
    3x Capsule: oleum, A Fire, L.Ember), Wand Chamber (Heroics): Least true death xtal (+1d6 vs undead) (+1d8 on Crit, + Hurricane Wind, + Synergy w/Lightning Sword) [

Lesser crystal of life keeping (+3 vs Death effects, Energy drain, Inflict) Gith craft Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Stacks with armour: Least crystal of Arrow Deflection (+2 AC vs ranged) Dastana +1 (+7 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Condition

Knowledge Devotion +5
    Shield 12 mins

Abilities

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I glower at the enemy spellcaster. There's altogether too much magic being thrown around. First things first.

"Zarina! Heal!" I call out, grasping the rod of quickening hanging at my belt.

Next things next, I get our defences up.

"Mass Spell Resistance!" I cast, considering defences upon every one of us.

Finally, we need to punch a hole through to the island.

"You! Get out of our way!" I cry at the nearest shark-giant, directing the hand to force it out of my way.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift action: Quickened Heal on Zarina. 140hp healed.
    Standard action: Mass Spell Resistance. Everyone gets Spell Resistance 26.
    Move action: redisignate Bigsby's Forceful Hand. Bull rush the closest giant off the land: (1d20+14)[31]

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The fact that Merrick immediately threw a lightning spell didn't really surprise Lan, but it did piss him off. Before he could rip the wizard a new one, however, all hell broke loose. Magic flew back and forth, with pathetic arcing bolts that were easy to step away from. But as he resigned himself to fighting (in the worst possible conditions for their team, and apparently a very conducive environment for their foes), one of the giant's stepped close and absolutely wrecked Zarina.

The halfling froze, eyes fixed on the momentarily still form, his heart in his throat. When she rolled over and cast two spells, he released the breath he had been holding. It came with a wave of relief when Mirrana healed the warrior woman back to normal. Turning to the beasts, the halfling's mind raced. There were several things he could try to do, but given the winds and rains, his strengths were effectively curtailed. With a grunt, he called upon a spell to help his attacks, then pushed into the wind and launched four javelins at the closest foe.

OOC - Well this is the worst kind of combat for the ranged guy. On round 1, guess I'll just cast a spell - sniper's shot (first shot of each round is a touch attack). On Round 2, Lan will (try) to move (standard) at least 20' and throw javelins (manyshot) while w/in 30'. Will target the giant that hit Zarina, if its still standing there ... if not, then the spellcaster (if w/in 30') or the other giant.
    fort vs DC18 - (1d20+16)[24]
    Ranged touch attack - (1d20+15)[32], Damage - (1d4+7)[11]+Skirmish - (6d6)[14]

Show
    HPs: 95 AC: 22 (28) Touch/Flatfooted: 17/16 Move 30' Initiative +7
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Effects: Spell Resistance 26; Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 2 hour)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist Talphrin

Elkist holds her holy symbol high, drawing the power of her god to crumple and knead the very stones beneath their opponents. The rocky spur begins to shudder and crack beneath the feet of the massive shark-giants.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Cast impeding stones on remaining shark-giants. Reflex DC20 or prone.
    Move to guard (adjacent to) Mirriana

Impeding stones (ongoing):
    • Reflex or Balance DC20 or prone
    • Concentration DC15 + spell level to cast
    • -2 on all attacks

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1385420]Elkist Talphrin[/URL]
    Female LG Half-Drow Paladin 4/ Spirit Shaman 11, Level 15, Init 0, HP 105 + 15 temp/105, Speed 30ft
    AC 22, Touch 10, Flat-footed 22, Fort 23, Ref 19, Will 23, Base Attack Bonus 12
    Ghost touch Lightning Sword +19/ +14/ +7 (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon, +1 morale (Heroes Feast)) (2d6+10 (+8 str, +2 weapon), 19-20 x2)
    Ghost touch +1 Full plate armour of Agility, Ghost touch +1 Animated heavy steel shield (+9 Armor, +3 Shield)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 25
    Condition
    Permanent/ daily effects:

Pal: Aura of good
    Pal: Aura of courage (immune fear, allies +4 morale bonus vs fear)
    Pal: Divine health (immunity to disease)
    SS: Blessing of the spirits (protection from spirits: +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    SS: Ghost warrior (ghost touch weapons & armour)
    SS: Warding of the spirits (magic circle vs spirits:10ft radius +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    1/2E: Immunity to sleep
    1/2E: +2 save vs enchantment
    1/2E: low light vision
    Armour crystal: +3 competence save vs energy drain, death spells/ effects, inflict spells)
    Circlet: +6 enhancement to Cha
    Gauntlets: +2 enhancement to Str
    Armbands: +2 Str checks & skills, +2 damage on Power attack)
    Mirriana: Imbue with Spell Ability

Hour+ effects:

Heart of Air (spell): +10 enhance Jump
    Heart of Earth (spell): +8 resist bull rush, overrun, trip; +22 temp hp
    Heart of X (spell): light fortification (25% resist critical hits & sneak attacks)
    Longstrider (wand): +10ft enhancement speed

Minute+ effects (not included in stats):

Mass Spell Resistance (Mirriana): SR26

Round+ effects:
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2022-04-17 at 07:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Flames and lightning crackle along the rocks and the sea. Zarina's crumpled body slams into the ground and she barely stands to unleash flame back on the giants who raise scaled arms to ward off the savage flames. In front of her Elkist raises his hands and the earth juts up in hundreds of razor sharp stones that seek to tear at their finned feet. Lan, incensed by the beating Zarina took ducks under the lightning with ease and throws a lone javelin back catching the leading giant in the shoulder. Meanwhile Mirriana is calm an serene, glowing orbs of protective magic settling around each of the party as a soft white envelops Zarina who emerges free of injury and n longer singed and smoking. The force hand goes to push one of the giants but the massive bulk of the creature proves immovable.

Before Zarina can so much as grin and thank Mirriana the giants and the elemental storm wizards are upon them! A quickening of time wraps around the enemies from the caster as its followed up wth a sudden splitting of the heavens as hail, icy spears and blasting winds swallow up the heroes...
    The nearest giant steps forward, this time advancing (slowly on the unsteady ground) and this time swings at Elkist whilst the second one a the back maintains the magic assault, this time Mirriana the target of its lightning as the coruscating energy plays along the line of heroes..."

OOC

Elemental Storm caster:
    Swift: Quickened haste
    Standard: Empowered Ice storm for (3d6)[5] x1.5 solid and (2d6)[8] x1.5 cold damage
    --------Spell resistance checks vs DC26 (1d20+16)[28] Vs Zarina, (1d20+16)[35] Vs Mirriana, (1d20+16)[32] Vs Lan, (1d20+16)[35] Vs Merrick, (1d20+16)[19] Vs Elkist, (1d20+16)[21] Vs Talsien
    Move: Stay 50ft away from the PCs

Giant 1: Advance at half speed and attack Elkist (1d20+23)[37] damage (4d6+29)[42]
    --- Ref save (1d20+9)[20] Or Fall prone on the stones

Giant 2: Cast Chain lightning at Mirriana (18d6)[59] x 1.5 Ref DC 18 for half [All others take half damage, 1/4 damage on successful save]
    ---- SR checks DC 26 (1d20+18)[38] Vs Mirriana, (1d20+18)[30] vs Zarina, (1d20+18)[19] vs Lan, (1d20+18)[33] vs Elkist, (1d20+18)[28] vs Talsien, (1d20+18)[22] vs Merrick
    ----- Ref DC 20 (1d20+9)[29] or fall over
    (I didn't forget the concentration check, he just can't fail it)

G1: 79
    G2: 54
    SC: 0

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina shakes as the healing energy flows through here, a savage grin on her face despite the crackling lightning and icy hail hammering all around her. Her features lengthen slightly, claws erupting from her gloved hands and her frame taking a lower aggressive posture as she summons the hunting power of a tiger and a corona of fire erupts around her as she enters the stance of the mystic Phoenix. Seeing the giant attacking Elkist she growls a low "that one is mine..." and gestures with her sword

Show

Standard: bite of the weretiger
    Swift: Burn lesser spell matrix for Stance of Phoenix and DR10/evil

Zarina "Brightblade"
    HP 93 / 125
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, +8 shield +5 Nat = 32
    Base Attack Bonus 13/7/2

Condition

Knowledge Devotion +5
    Shield 12 mins
    Spell Resistance DC26
    Bite Weretiger +12 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, +5 Nat AC

Abilities

23. - Top - End - #233

Merrick

The blessing of Mystara douses the ice and lightning, and seeing Zarina still alive mitigates the spectre of guilt that flickered in his mind.

Drawing on his own considerable arcane abilities, Merrick summons a globulous mockery of an earth elemental to stand up to the fish giants.

Spoiler: Augmented Alienist Summon Monster VI
    Show

Summon Pseudonatural Augmented Large Earth Elemental
    Spellcraft to see if any sign of wards or perfect summons are obvious [roll0]

Whoops. Don’t preview rolls…
    Stats will post in Ooc. They take a round anyway…
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2022-04-18 at 12:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I snarl as the enemy spellcaster throws another spell at us, and, gripping the rod of quicken spell, I return the favour, blasting him with a Hammer of Righteousness!

At the same time my Forceful Hand again attempts to shove the shark-headed giant off the peninsular, and I step forward to hopefully banish his friend to a much warmer place than this with a hostile Plane Shift!

Finally, with blows raining down us I offer a swift prayer to Mystara to protect us all!

Spoiler
    Show

Swift Action:
    Hammer of Righteousness: (14d6)[55] strikes unerringly, FORT DC19 for half.
    Strength sacrifice: (1d3)[1]

Free action:
    Forceful hand continues to Bull-rush same target (1d20+14)[33] (target is also now on unsteady ground from the impeding stones)

Standard action:
    Plane shift to Elemental Plane of Fire. WILL DC21 to resist.

And immediate action immediately after my actions ( borrowing swift from next turn:
    Protection Devotion +5 sacred AC to allies within 30ft.

Iron Guards's glare as usual.
    And manoeuvres have expired, rerolling (9d5)[25] first 3 unique:
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-04-20 at 01:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The group began to regroup against their foes, but there was still plenty of fight in these giants. Lan was particularly annoyed by the fact that while they fought here, their foes were getting closer to the artifact. Snarling to himself, he started to sprint forward to take aim of the giants. Unfortunately, his foot slipped, and he was blown back a few steps before he caught his balance.

Nonplussed for a moment, Lan changed his actions and started casting a spell. The small halfling suddenly grew in size, hunching over into the huge form of a landshark, his snout questing towards the enemy.

Top of Rnd 3: Freakin' Fort save ... casting aspect of the earth hunter and becoming a bullette

Show
    HPs: 76/95 AC: 22 (26) Touch/Flatfooted: 17/16 Move 30' Initiative +7
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Effects: Bullette form (see spoiler below; 69 min remaining); Find the Gap (first attack is touch attack, 5 rnds); Mass Protection (+5 AC [sacred], 10 rnds); Spell Resistance 26; Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 2 hour)

Spoiler: Bullette Form
    Show
    Space and Reach: 15 feet/10 feet
    Stats: Str 27 Dex 15 Con 20 / Int 13 Wis 14 Chr 8
    Land speed 40 ft, burrow 10 ft,
    Senses: darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, scent, tremorsense 60'
    Gain +12 natural armor, two claw attacks (+22 / 2d8+8)
    Retain abilities, BAB, saving throws, skills
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-04-22 at 04:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist Talphrin

Elkist grunts as the giants blow smashes into her armoured body. Planting her feet and setting herself against the waves of weather and magic she stands with blade raised, ready to defend her companions against all that approach.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    I think that the giant Elkist is facing has gone away? Either attack it (full attack) or stand ground & readied attack (standard) on the next one that approaches:

Readied action: 5ft step as needed & PA
    Lightning Sword (1d20+12)[18] (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon, -6 PA), damage (2d6+24)[33] (+8 str, +2 weapon, +2 gauntlets, +12 PA) + (1d6)[6] shock

Extra attacks if Full:

Lightning Sword (1d20+7)[21] (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon, -6 PA), damage (2d6+24)[28] (+8 str, +2 weapon, +2 gauntlets, +12 PA) + (1d6)[6] shock
    Lightning Sword (1d20+2)[11] (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon, -6 PA), damage (2d6+24)[35] (+8 str, +2 weapon, +2 gauntlets, +12 PA) + (1d6)[2] shock

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Elkist Talphrin
    Female LG Half-Drow Paladin 4/ Spirit Shaman 11, Level 15, Init 0, HP 78/105, Speed 30ft
    AC 22, Touch 10, Flat-footed 22, Fort 23, Ref 19, Will 23, Base Attack Bonus 12
    Ghost touch Lightning Sword +19/ +14/ +7 (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon, +1 morale (Heroes Feast)) (2d6+10 (+8 str, +2 weapon), 19-20 x2)
    Ghost touch +1 Full plate armour of Agility, Ghost touch +1 Animated heavy steel shield (+9 Armor, +3 Shield)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 25
    Condition
    Permanent/ daily effects:

Pal: Aura of good
    Pal: Aura of courage (immune fear, allies +4 morale bonus vs fear)
    Pal: Divine health (immunity to disease)
    SS: Blessing of the spirits (protection from spirits: +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    SS: Ghost warrior (ghost touch weapons & armour)
    SS: Warding of the spirits (magic circle vs spirits:10ft radius +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    1/2E: Immunity to sleep
    1/2E: +2 save vs enchantment
    1/2E: low light vision
    Armour crystal: +3 competence save vs energy drain, death spells/ effects, inflict spells)
    Circlet: +6 enhancement to Cha
    Gauntlets: +2 enhancement to Str
    Armbands: +2 Str checks & skills, +2 damage on Power attack)
    Mirriana: Imbue with Spell Ability

Hour+ effects:

Heart of Air (spell): +10 enhance Jump
    Heart of Earth (spell): +8 resist bull rush, overrun, trip; +22 temp hp
    Heart of X (spell): light fortification (25% resist critical hits & sneak attacks)
    Longstrider (wand): +10ft enhancement speed

Minute+ effects (not included in stats):

Mass Spell Resistance (Mirriana): SR26
    Protection devotion (Mirriana): +5 sacred to AC (1 mins

Round+ effects:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

War continues to rage within the storm as Elkist and Zarina form a wall of steel and blade, the small magus hunched with feline power. Behind them the Halfling shudders and morphs into the of a massive land shark, much to the surprise of several of the party who had not realised he could do that

By the storm caster the rocks start rumbling as Merrick calls forth living rocks to join their fight. Mirriana, Constable of Diamond Lake steps up, a massive glowing hammer streaking into the storm caster even as the giant nearest the party is forced into the choppy water followed by a flutter of long triangle fins! Her summons to the Plane of Fire though is denied at the last moment

The first giant vanished into the sea and is attacked by sharks before it climbs out of the crashing sea, a shimmering shield of crackling force appearing around it

Sharks (1d20+11)[19] dam (1d8+6)[7]
    (1d20+11)[26] dam (1d8+6)[14]

Then swift cast quickened storm

The second giant having survived its plane shift strides forward to be met by Elkist’s savage swing of the crackling sword as its swings at the young paladin

attack (1d20+23)[37] dam (4d6+33)[47]

The storm caster still reeling from the thunderous impact looks daggers at Mirriana as it’s form starts shifting and shimmering displacing from its true location as it strides towards Zarina

SG 1 79
    SG 2 54
    SC 55

28. - Top - End - #238

Merrick

Unable to speak commands in the maelstrom, Merrick pantomimes a big hugging motion and points to the giant closing on Zarina. He hopes the message is clear.

Muddy, let your large cousin know I wish it to wrestle the giant! he sends grappling images empathically to his familiar, hoping against hope that will work.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The beast that was/is Lan stood for a moment, chest heaving in anticipation. Angered that it/he had to resort to this form ... angered at the storm and the wind ... enraged by the pain one of the giants had caused to Zarina. Now was the time for flaying flesh from bone ...

With a low snarl, the bullett rushed forward and leapt, coming down with all four claws slashing at its foe.

Top of Rnd 4: Charge up to 40' (and at least 20') to engage with the first opponent in Lan path. If there's a clear path to the 'mage' Lan will take it, but I presume one of the giants is in the way, and he will definitely go after the giant that smashed Z earlier. Leaping attack w/skirmish

Attack 1 - (1d20+24)[38], Damage 1 - (2d8+12)[23]+Skirmish - (6d6)[26]=49 First attack is vs touch AC
    Attack 2 - (1d20+24)[34], Damage 2 - (2d8+12)[20]+Skirmish - (6d6)[21]=41
    Attack 3 - (1d20+24)[40], Damage 3 - (2d8+12)[18]+Skirmish - (6d6)[15]=33
    Attack 4 - (1d20+24)[26], Damage 4 - (2d8+12)[15]+Skirmish - (6d6)[29]=44

Show
    HPs: 76/95 AC: 22 (27) Touch/Flatfooted: 17/16 Move 30' Initiative +7
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Effects: Bullette form (see spoiler below; 69 min remaining); Find the Gap (first attack is touch attack, 4 rnds); Mass Protection (+5 AC [sacred], 9 rnds); Spell Resistance 26; Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 2 hour)

Spoiler: Bullette Form
    Show
    HP: 136/155 AC: 28 (34 w/skirm)
    Space and Reach: 15 feet/10 feet
    Stats: Str 27 Dex 15 Con 20 / Int 13 Wis 14 Chr 8
    Land speed 40 ft, burrow 10 ft,
    Senses: darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, scent, tremorsense 60'
    Gain +12 natural armor, two claw attacks (+22 / 2d8+8)
    Retain abilities, BAB, saving throws, skills
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-04-28 at 05:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Oh, didn't like that, did you? I think to myself as the storm caster attempts to protect itself. Well I've got another where that came from!

"Hammer of Righteousness!" I cry, as I channel more of my own strength into the spell.

Meanwhile my Forceful Hand attempts to shove the first giant back into the stormy waters.

I step back next to Elkist, glaring at the giant.

Spoiler
    Show

Mass Conviction -> Hammer of Righteousness
    (14d6)[48] strikes unerringly, FORT DC19 for half
    Sacrifice (1d3)[2] strength damage

Forceful Hand
    Bull rush(1d20+14)[27] enemy still unstable on impeding stones?

Shield block or Divine Surge next round: (1d2)[1]

IGG Vs adjacent giant.