New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default "Suspicious Connection Blocked"

Okay, weird issue that the board might not actually have any control over, but hopefully will at least have some information on:

I am repeatedly having an issue where BitDefender will block a "suspicious connection" whenever I'm browsing these forums. It happens whether AdBlock is turned on or turned off, and the site mentioned in BD's alert is generally a random musician website, from what I can see. The most common ones are brandonchase.net & <censored by request>, but I've also seen a couple others. This seems to be only happening when I have a GiantITP forum page open, so it seems to be from this website. In fairness, I have so many tabs open at this precise moment, though, that I can't be 100% positive, but I can say I have only seen them when there's at least one GiantITP page open. Today, BD spammed me with about 30 alerts for a "gorbashkazdar.com" while browsing the troubleshooting post for custom forum avatars.

Full warning:
    "chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to <websites above>. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one."

My hunch is that it's something that's wrong in an Ad on the page, but I don't know of any way to verify that.

Any guess at all, anyone?

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 2021-01-02 at 07:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: "Suspicious Connection Blocked"

When this happens, it's almost certainly someone's avatar, signature, or sometimes an image embedded in a post. You'll need to track down the page this happens on, then check the avatar and image locations.

P.S. This website does not currently use external advertising anywhere on the main or forum sites. The banners you see are simple images hosted on this site with direct links, and use no cookies or other features.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: "Suspicious Connection Blocked"

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    When this happens, it's almost certainly someone's avatar, signature, or sometimes an image embedded in a post. You'll need to track down the page this happens on, then check the avatar and image locations.

P.S. This website does not currently use external advertising anywhere on the main or forum sites. The banners you see are simple images hosted on this site with direct links, and use no cookies or other features.
    Oh, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about peoples' avatars, yet. And good to know about the external advertising. For some reason I thought you did, but given that I browse much of the web (aside from select websites) with AdBlock on, it's easy to forget which ones don't actually have advertising and which just aren't whitelisted.

Thanks for the clarification!

-asp