New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cobra Kai

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cobra Kai

WATCH ALL 3 SEASONS!!!!!!

This is the best show i have watched in at least a decade if not more.

I cried at least 4 times. Yelled at the TV becuase stuff was happening and i was saying things like THIS IS BALLER AS HE DOUBLE L!" "OH ITS ABOUT TO GET REAL, SON!"

I need to walk away now, because I feel the inevitable rant on how much awesome is in this show and how much everybody needs to watch it coming on.

before I go, i will say the one thing i did not like about the show is i have to wait until october to see season 4!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

When Daniel finds out who Robby is he kicks him out of the Dojo and fires him from his job. His wife is the one who convinces Daniel to continue to mentor Robby. Daniel learns from his daughter about Robby's living conditions. Even taking him in Daniel went to Johnny to discuss the matter, but story drama convenience Kreese was there making any talk moot. Daniel still talks to Robby he needs to reconcile with his father. Daniel mentoring Robby is hardly a sinister plot of immature revenge.

Edit: Karate Kid. Good movie. Karate Kid II. Good movie. Karate Kid III. BLECH! Just watched the first 30 minutes of it, and I had to turn the tv off. The Villain is so badly written and badly acted. He's the corny evil children's cartoon villain who is Evil for the sake of being Evil because he just wants to do Evil. I have no interest in this story. Rumor is he returns in season 4. If true I do not look forward to it. I will pretend this never happened. It's only the orignal and sequel. A charming story. Continued with Cobra Kai.

Edit 2: The bad timing irony. What's the next episode I see after posting the above? The one where Daniel tells his students about his time in Cobra Kai, i.e. Karate Kid III. It doesn't make me want to see it, but I appreciate its relevance to why Daniel was mentioning it. Anyway it was interesting in a good way to see the Cobra Kai reunion. It was fan service, but that's ok. Almost had sympathy as they regret Cobra Kai. Even Johnny sparked hope, but Kreese makes his move. Before I started watching the show I was already briefly spoiled on how that works out, but I'll pretend I don't know. #TeamDaniel always, but #TeamRedeemedJohnny could be in the works. Depends on the empathy level if/when/how he loses his students.

Edit 3: Finished second season. #TeamDaniel always. Johnny - - Redeemed.

Edit 4: Finished third season. #TeamDanielJohnny (sniff) I'm not crying. You're crying.
    Last edited by Pex; 2021-02-13 at 09:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

3. - Top - End - #123

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Netflix has been trying to get me to watch this for ages. I finally broke down and plowed through it in the last few days.

It starts out okay. I was particularly amused by Daniel-san's raging case of Protagonist Syndrome constantly making everything worse. But by the end of S3, my suspension of disbelief was suffering because the action had escalated from "don't worry, we did this kind of thing all the time in the '80s!" teen movie bullying to "call the cops like, yesterday, no, seriously, why is nobody calling the cops?" openly committing multiple major felonies without consequence.

And there's just enough pretense at law enforcement that I can't even pretend that this is some kind of AU where the LAPD doesn't exist and no one has guns, so everyone has to rely on their personal martial arts skills for protection against roving gangs of karate sociopaths.

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, seriously, S3 had Hawk deliberately maiming someone — and not just "broke his arm in a fight, too bad so sad", but pinning a defeated opponent and deliberately and maliciously fracturing his arm — and Tory — who's already on probation for, presumably, assault with a deadly weapon in the S2 finale — attempting to straight-up murder a romantic rival. And then Hawk's allowed back into the fold with all forgiven, and Tory's allowed to just walk away, because, hey, after-school special lesson learned I guess!

I'm at least hoping that the reason we didn't see Lives In His Mom's Basement Guy in S3 is because he's doing ten to twenty in serious grown-up prison for assaulting minors during a job interview in the S2 finale.

Also, every time Daniel-san says "Miyagi-Do" in his stupid Jersey accent, I want to punch him in the face. Actually I pretty much want to punch him in the face all the time.

Actually the list of major characters that I don't want to punch in the face all the time is basically Miguel and his mom and abuela, sometimes Sam, surprisingly Johnny, Aisha, Mrs. Daniel-san, and, um... the chick who dumped Hawk, I guess. I'm not sure if she counts as a major character.

Maybe they'd have less karate violence if they got some less punchable characters.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, that was always a thing in the Karate Kid franchise. Where are the cops? Nowhere, when the plot needs doin'.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That goes for fiction in general, really... Law enforcement is rarely around when it matters and no one thinks of calling them, because otherwise there's no drama and/or no action.
    Homebrew Stuff:

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Mrs. Larusso did go to the cops to report on Kreese/Cobra Kai, but they wouldn't do anything. That's why she confronted Kreese herself and changed her mind supporting Daniel to restart Miyagido.

Obligatory: In fandom of course I'm on Team Miyagi, but I can mourn with everyone for Rob Garrison. It's on purpose irony the kid who says "Put him in a body bag" ends up in a body bag in the show, but the unfortunate coincidental timing of real life is sad and was not deserving. Separate the actor from the character. I remain a fan of Martin Kove since Cagney & Lacey.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Obligatory: In fandom of course I'm on Team Miyagi, but I can mourn with everyone for Rob Garrison. It's on purpose irony the kid who says "Put him in a body bag" ends up in a body bag in the show, but the unfortunate coincidental timing of real life is sad and was not deserving. Separate the actor from the character. I remain a fan of Martin Kove since Cagney & Lacey.
    I don't think it was coincidence... It feels like Garrison knew his time was coming, and decided to leave one last piece of art and add a true emotional moment to the Karate Kid legacy. The whole episode is basically a celebration and send-off party to both character and actor.
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Review bellow contains slight spoilers; Read at your own Discretion.
    Show
    Cobra Kai is surprisingly good. I was skeptical at first, especially after the disapointment of Karate Kung Fu Kid 5 (I know, Jakie Chan is awesome, but the film sucked... you can't name a film "Karate Kid" and make it into a Kung Fu movie; Also, the plot was practically Karate Kid 1, just reimagined, and excluding the Karate part). But it turned out to be everything of a rightful hair to the Karate Kid franchise, something I doubted a series could make happen, yet here we are. It is very packed with nostalgia, and I absolutelly can't get enough of the flashbacks to movie scenes. It also has an interesting plotline, that keeps younger viewers who may start with the series engaged.

Johnny, from a total jerk as depicted in the original movie has developed into a very relatable character that depicts a person who grew up a different era, and his troubles adapting to this too new and ever-changing societty that's evolved into something almost alien. Daniel, on the other hand, shows us the succesful buisnessman he has become, his transition from child to adult, and then, re-embracing the child within, to finally find a compremise between his adult life and his childhood's principles.

Finally Kresse, a total sociopath, has a prequel character development that not only makes him more relatable, but pierces through this mask of Nihilistic-Machiavellic "Big fish eats small fish" philosophy of his, and helps the audiance actually understand his perspective on things, and why his mind is so messed up. You may not agree with him or root for him, but in the end, you'll end up sympathising and feeling pitty for him.

So far, it's one of my favorite series of the last decade or so. The plot may be simple enough, but it's blending of nostalgia and reviving a cult film's setting, the excelent depiction of a relativelly lost genre of movies and the fact they brought back the original actors all help you immerse yourself in this beutyful series. It's definitelly worth watching, if anything, for the wide variety of feelings you'll experiance.

From an editing perspective, I especially appreciate their take of not filling the whole episodes with backround music/sound effects, which appears to be the new norm for series and movies nowdays, and instead opted for natural sound. The opposite really messes up my immersion in the movie/series I watch, and I'm not a fan of this approach in general. Feels like a way to cover up for mediocre dialogue.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2021-02-26 at 09:01 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer