New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Kai

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Cobra Kai

I had not seen The Karate Kid until recently. When it first came out all those years ago I refused to see it because I didn't like Ralph Maccio. Even though I was a kid myself, I hated he was a ratings stunt when he was cast in Eight Is Enough. His character wasn't needed. He was the "Cousin Oliver" of the show. I hated Ralph Maccio ever since and never saw any of his movies.

Then I grew up. Eight Is Enough has long since been off the air. I still haven't seen any of his movies, but I learned not to not like Ralph Maccio. He wasn't to blame for the ratings stunt. He didn't do anything wrong. I stopped hating on him, but I didn't become a fan. I settled for indifference. It was a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to see The Karate Kid on tv. I finally saw it. I enjoyed it. I stuck around as Karate Kid Part 2 was shown afterwards. I enjoyed that too. I learned to actually like Ralph Maccio.

I decided to give Cobra Kai a try. A couple of episodes in I paused. I do not want to root for Johnny, but more than that I'm worried about Daniel Larusso. His life is too perfect. Husband, father, wealthy business owner attending the Country Club. It's a stereotypical set up for a reversal of fortune takedown. I'm worried he'll soon be divorced, lose his business, and kicked out of the Country Club. He'll lose it all and need to rebuild. The atmosphere of the show almost depicts him as the Bad Guy. Maybe I can get behind Johnny going through Redemption, but not at the expense of Daniel. Being ok with a minor spoiler I know by season 3 he still has his business, but it's struggling. I do not know if he's still married, and Media Talk says he's the Bad Guy.

I'm not sure I want to go through with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Cobra Kai

Without spoiling anything, you should absolutely continue. The show is phenomenal, far better than it had any right to be, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Plus, Johnny and Miguel are just the best.

Also, Season 3 just dropped two days ago, so anything related to that should probably be considered a spoiler.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-03 at 12:12 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daniel is an antagonist for a solid chunk of the first season, but he's not really the bad guy, even if his antagonism for Johnny and Cobra Kai do lead him to some questionable moments.

Spoiler: Spoiler for General Themes
    Show
    The show ultimately agrees with Daniel that the Cobra Kai ethos is toxic. Johnny coming to realize that and try and grow beyond it is one of the central themes of the show.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ajustusdaniel View Post
    Daniel is an antagonist for a solid chunk of the first season, but he's not really the bad guy, even if his antagonism for Johnny and Cobra Kai do lead him to some questionable moments.

Show
    The show ultimately agrees with Daniel that the Cobra Kai ethos is toxic. Johnny coming to realize that and try and grow beyond it is one of the central themes of the show.
    Spoiler: Daniel
    Show
    The show also puts a lie to Miyagi's "no bad student, only bad teacher" teachings. Daniel was a bad student - he consistently shows that he has failed to grasp the core tenets of Miyagi Do. Daniel constantly wants to go on the attack, wants to destroy Cobra Kai, wants to get revenge and get them back. He wants to teach Miyagi Do to the world in general. He's going against everything Miyagi taught him, and that constantly bites him in the ass.

Daniel sees himself as the shining knight on the hill, and that's just a bill of goods he managed to sell himself. And he still hasn't realized it. For all his love of Miyagi, he sure as hell missed a lot of what the man tried to tell him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You should absolutely continue to watch Cobra Kai and, without going into spoilers too much hopefully, your concerns don't truly pan out. Something you need to keep in mind is that in the first season and beyond, there is an undercurrent theme of 'everyone has their own side to the story, one where they are the hero' running through out the show. To Johnny Laurence, Daniel is definitely the Bad Guy and someone to surpass because Daniel succeeded and essentially got the life that Johnny thinks he would have had if they had never met. Daniel is the weird outsider that destroyed Johnny's life and since the show largely comes from the point of view of Johnny's attempts to rebuild Cobra Kai (and himself) its natural to see it as Daniel being the Bad Guy.

He's not.

To Daniel, he's had some rough times but he's finally settled into the good life just to be revisited by the specter of an old enemy. One that almost beat him, tried to injure him, and was indicative of a cancerous presence in Daniel's life that perverted one of the most treasured gifts that his father figure (Miyagi) passed on to him into a weapon. There's even a joke at one point when Daniel makes a video preaching the tenets of Miyagi-do and looking for students that internet outsides see him as doing nothing more than appropriating Japanese culture when the reality is that Daniel has a deep respect for Japanese culture and holds it in high regard thanks to learning from his mentor. And despite trying to help this guy and mend fences, not only does Johnny spit in his face but then Johnny goes on to raise that very perversion of karate from the grave and try to bring it back. When you're seeing things from the LaRusso family side of the story, Johnny is definitely a Bad Guy (Cobra Kai is largely THE bad guy though, not even Johnny himself)

He's not.

At the end of the day, they are both two guys who view karate as an important aspect of their lives and tools to better themselves, but their different philosophies and mentors in that regard have pitted them against one another. They butt heads but, minor spoiler, when they're forced to interact peacefully (and it does happen multiple times) they slowly grow to understand that the other had legitimate gripes with the other.

Definitely keep with Cobra Kai, its a pretty awesome show and the only show in recent memory that I anticipated the newest season for so much I binge watched it the day it came out.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    (...) Daniel is the weird outsider that destroyed Johnny's life and since the show largely comes from the point of view of Johnny's attempts to rebuild Cobra Kai (and himself) its natural to see it as Daniel being the Bad Guy.

He's not.

(...) When you're seeing things from the LaRusso family side of the story, Johnny is definitely a Bad Guy (Cobra Kai is largely THE bad guy though, not even Johnny himself)

He's not.

At the end of the day, they are both two guys who view karate as an important aspect of their lives and tools to better themselves, but their different philosophies and mentors in that regard have pitted them against one another. They butt heads but, minor spoiler, when they're forced to interact peacefully (and it does happen multiple times) they slowly grow to understand that the other had legitimate gripes with the other.
    This is one of the best things about Cobra Kai series. We, as viewers, are too used to stories following a good guy vs. bad guy scheme to the point we try to interpret pretty much all conflicts in stories in exactly this way. Cobra Kai takes those expectations and subverts them. I have only seen part of the first season so far but I am hooked.

The whole idea of showing Cobra Kai ideals as something that can bring a good change and at the same staying true to how the school was depicted in the original Karate Kid movie is pretty amazing. Always a second side to a coin.

And bonding moments like this are simply priceless.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I decided to give Cobra Kai a try. A couple of episodes in I paused. I do not want to root for Johnny, but more than that I'm worried about Daniel Larusso. His life is too perfect. Husband, father, wealthy business owner attending the Country Club. It's a stereotypical set up for a reversal of fortune takedown. I'm worried he'll soon be divorced, lose his business, and kicked out of the Country Club. He'll lose it all and need to rebuild. The atmosphere of the show almost depicts him as the Bad Guy. Maybe I can get behind Johnny going through Redemption, but not at the expense of Daniel. Being ok with a minor spoiler I know by season 3 he still has his business, but it's struggling. I do not know if he's still married, and Media Talk says he's the Bad Guy.

While Cobra Kai starts in a rather stereotypical fashion, it doesn't stay that way.
    You fear that Daniel will fall so that Johnny may rise but Cobra Kai is trying to tell a different story; Johnny's and Daniel's problems stem from their inability to let the past go, not from one another.

You should really keep going. Do not trust people saying that Daniel is the bad guy, because he's not - he may be an antagonist at times, but that's because he's also on a path that will hopefully in the end make him a better person.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plus, it's an intergenerational drama driven by complex emotions that doesn't use a love triangle as a primary conflict engine. (There is a love... quadrangle, I guess at this point, that develops as a likely inevitability when you've got a bunch of emotional teens engaged in a high contact activity, but it's not at the core of why there's a conflict). And it occasionally erupts in massive karate battles. What's not to love?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    And despite [Daniel] trying to help this guy and mend fences
    Hold on there, Daniel is just as much to blame for a significant amount of the events that happen as Johnny is. Even when he's being nice, he gets needlessly antagonistic (eg first episode when he helps with the car, and then proceeds to brag "if you want to get technical, I kicked his face"). The show does a great job if portraying him as still being the brash hothead - Johnny was definitely the bully in the movie, but Daniel wouldn't have been targeted if he hadn't been antagonistic himself, and that theme continues in the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I have only seen part of the first season so far but I am hooked.
    Oh man. I cannot stress this enough. It keeps. Getting. Better.

Frankly, the biggest loss everyone coming into it at this point will experience its not being able to engage in the theorycrafting in the time between the first and second season release. This show above all else made me really appreciate the benefits of spreading out episodes or seasons so that it's not all bingeable. There was such a debate among my friends about whether... Well, I ain't gonna say.

However, one thing people coming into it right now do get is the ability to binge up to season 3. Because got dang is that show bingeable.

ETA: The Season 2 finale is a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-04 at 08:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe I can get behind Johnny going through Redemption, but not at the expense of Daniel. Being ok with a minor spoiler I know by season 3 he still has his business, but it's struggling. I do not know if he's still married, and Media Talk says he's the Bad Guy.

I think the show goes to some lengths to demonstrate that neither Johnny or Daniel are "bad" guys. They are certainly flawed, like everyone else, but they aren't bad.

They have a rivalry with each other that they can't get over, and it causes very real problems. But they both want to teach the kids to better themselves and be prepared for the world, even if they come at that in different ways. And they both care about the kids.

I think people see Daniel as "the bad guy" because we are meant to hold him to a higher standard (he has everything and so we don't expect him to get dragged down into the mud so easily) and also because we see things a lot from Johnny's perspective, which is someone struggling to raise themselves up.

But I don't think the show is trying to make one the good guy and one the bad guy. It's a very interesting show and very refreshing with how it handles this certain aspect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I did get the illegal kick scene in the pilot. It was good fan service to reference and get it out of the way. I just saw the Halloween party episode. I wonder if Johnny will see the mirror of Miguel then and Danny back when. If this was a stand alone movie this is where his Redemption would start. Since it's a series I don't expect much of it but more determination to make Miguel tougher. At least Daniel is starting to suspect his daughter is hanging out with bullies. He has his own irony.
    Last edited by Pex; 2021-01-05 at 07:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I haven't seen the second or third season yet, but there's nothing wrong with the Cobra Kai ethos, it's just in the wrong environment.

Cobra Kai was developed by a US Special Forces (capital S and F) captain who had at least 1 tour of duty in Vietnam. In a military covert ops environment, 'Strike Hard, Strike First, No Mercy' makes perfect sense.
    The issue is when you bring that mindset back to civilian life, where it clashes with the (pre-COVID peaceful and normal) middle-class life style.

Compare that to Miyagi-do, which is a family taught karate style over multiple generations; it's had time to mellow out and adapt to a more peaceful lifestyle under multiple masters. When it originally started as a system of unarmed defence against armed attackers, it wouldn't have much scope for mercy, making it much like Cobra Kai karate currently is (especially since the original founder of that is still alive).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I haven't seen the second or third season yet, but there's nothing wrong with the Cobra Kai ethos, it's just in the wrong environment.

Cobra Kai was developed by a US Special Forces (capital S and F) captain who had at least 1 tour of duty in Vietnam. In a military covert ops environment, 'Strike Hard, Strike First, No Mercy' makes perfect sense.
    The issue is when you bring that mindset back to civilian life, where it clashes with the (pre-COVID peaceful and normal) middle-class life style.

Compare that to Miyagi-do, which is a family taught karate style over multiple generations; it's had time to mellow out and adapt to a more peaceful lifestyle under multiple masters. When it originally started as a system of unarmed defence against armed attackers, it wouldn't have much scope for mercy, making it much like Cobra Kai karate currently is (especially since the original founder of that is still alive).
    I would argue that the Cobrai Kai ethos not only includes the famous motto, but the underlying idea that it's applicable to all aspects of life.

Spoiler: Season 3
    Show
    And given that John Kreese cold bloodedly murdered his (admittedly jackass) superior officer in Vietnam, I'm not sure that we should take it that it was working super well there, either.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I would argue that the Cobrai Kai ethos not only includes the famous motto, but the underlying idea that it's applicable to all aspects of life.

Show
    And given that John Kreese cold bloodedly murdered his (admittedly jackass) superior officer in Vietnam, I'm not sure that we should take it that it was working super well there, either.
    The thing is, in some ways it is applicable all around. Don't wait for opportunity to come to you, put yourself into everything you do, both of these are excellent things to internalize across your entire life. Even the No Mercy part can be interpreted into every day life as a lesson about the importance of remembering life is inherently unfair, and at the end of the day the only person who can be relied upon to do something about it is you. And it also applies as a perfectly legit philosophy of self defense no matter where you are if you also teach people to recognize and enforce the line between real life and sparring.

Cobra Kai is an art that is frankly not meant to tournaments or public display, it's about disassembling someone coming at you with a knife in a side ally, or being willing to throw the first punch, and do your best to make it the last, instead of waiting in a bid to gain an arguably meaningless high ground which just puts you at great personal risk. In context of the series you get a bunch of kids who never get taught the difference between "fighting another competitor in a limited tournament setting for training or prove excellence" and "beating the living daylights out of someone trying to legitimately hurt you" because their teacher never learned that lesson, because his teacher didn't believe in it.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Cobra Kai is an art that is frankly not meant to tournaments or public display, it's about disassembling someone coming at you with a knife in a side ally, or being willing to throw the first punch, and do your best to make it the last, instead of waiting in a bid to gain an arguably meaningless high ground which just puts you at great personal risk. In context of the series you get a bunch of kids who never get taught the difference between "fighting another competitor in a limited tournament setting for training or prove excellence" and "beating the living daylights out of someone trying to legitimately hurt you" because their teacher never learned that lesson, because his teacher didn't believe in it.
    Right. The Cobra Kai ethos is the ethos taught by the Cobra Kai Dojo. We see the effects of that ethos on several generations of students, and it's hard to say it's a positive one.

Spoiler: Season 3 Spoilers
    Show
    That's not to say that there's no merit in anything Cobra Kai says or that Johnny teaches, though.

The idea that it could be applied selectively- that there are contexts when it is and isn't appropriate to strike first, or to show mercy, is entirely fair. That's not Cobra Kai, though- Johnny finds himself ousted from the Cobra Kai Dojo when he attempts to make that pivot, and winds up forming a new school- Eagle Fang

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Right. The Cobra Kai ethos is the ethos taught by the Cobra Kai Dojo. We see the effects of that ethos on several generations of students, and it's hard to say it's a positive one.

Spoiler: Season 3 Spoilers
    Show
    That's not to say that there's no merit in anything Cobra Kai says or that Johnny teaches, though.

The idea that it could be applied selectively- that there are contexts when it is and isn't appropriate to strike first, or to show mercy, is entirely fair. That's not Cobra Kai, though- Johnny finds himself ousted from the Cobra Kai Dojo when he attempts to make that pivot, and winds up forming a new school- Eagle Fang
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's important to consider the effect Kreese coming back had on Johnny and the Dojo though. Before he started interfering Kobra Kai was absolutely evolving to as Johnny himself began to better understand how to apply the lessons of the dojo in his life outside of Kreese's toxic influence.

EDIT

To clarify, it isn't even an issue of the ethos not being universally applicable because it arguably is. The issue is a degree of toxic excess arrogance that the ethos itself certainly doesn't inherently require or encourage but is instead passed along as a result of the personality of it's teachers.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2021-01-05 at 09:47 AM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #17

re: Cobra Kai ethos

Spoiler
    Show
    I agree with Dragonus in that what is being taught comes back to the teacher.

I believe the show is really trying to show us that it isn't about the martial arts philosophy, but rather about the character of the person. Cobra Kai under Johnny is different from Cobra Kai under Kreese. Cobra Kai as practiced by Miguel is different from Cobra Kai as practiced by Hawk.

Even Miyagi-do does not prevent Daniel from being easily provoked, or Sam from leaping at an opportunity to equalize the score cards between Cobra Kai and Miyagi-do. Because what the show is teaching us is that it doesn't matter if you believe we should strike first, or if we should only strike in self defense. What matters is the character of the person that is doing the striking, and how they apply these lessons in life.

Miguel says to Sam in season 3 that their forms of Karate are the exact opposite to each other. And yet, by the end of season 3, these two dojos are united in their fight against Cobra Kai. Because it goes beyond the martial arts.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    To clarify, it isn't even an issue of the ethos not being universally applicable because it arguably is. The issue is a degree of toxic excess arrogance that the ethos itself certainly doesn't inherently require or encourage but is instead passed along as a result of the personality of it's teachers.
    True, I see your point; it's less Cobra Kai and more Kreese's Cobra Kai that's the issue here.

There's a comment on people's personal karate and that is a thing that's taught at my dojo at least - someone's karate will be different from some else's karate; both from a technique perspective (eg. body shape and other martial arts experience) and a mental perspective (personality and temperament).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    re: Cobra Kai ethos

Spoiler
    Show
    I agree with Dragonus in that what is being taught comes back to the teacher.

I believe the show is really trying to show us that it isn't about the martial arts philosophy, but rather about the character of the person. Cobra Kai under Johnny is different from Cobra Kai under Kreese. Cobra Kai as practiced by Miguel is different from Cobra Kai as practiced by Hawk.

Even Miyagi-do does not prevent Daniel from being easily provoked, or Sam from leaping at an opportunity to equalize the score cards between Cobra Kai and Miyagi-do. Because what the show is teaching us is that it doesn't matter if you believe we should strike first, or if we should only strike in self defense. What matters is the character of the person that is doing the striking, and how they apply these lessons in life.

Miguel says to Sam in season 3 that their forms of Karate are the exact opposite to each other. And yet, by the end of season 3, these two dojos are united in their fight against Cobra Kai. Because it goes beyond the martial arts.
    True, look at season 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Sam starts following Cobra Kai's ethos and attacks Hawk in that mall "Strike first".
    She wanted payback. But her PTSD and Hawk's backup from the past scared her into hiding.

Now I am curious, if 2nd part of Miyagi motto actually is. Likely, "First learn part 1 is a joke" and there was a second part, Daniel-san never learned. After all, we learned there was ki blocking attacks that stun arms/etc that he never taught Daniel-san.

20. - Top - End - #20

Show
    Was anyone else weirded out a little by Johnny fighting Kreese? I wish Kreese were just slightly younger. I know he's a badass vet and a martial artist but come on... it's weird to see grown men who are also badass martial artists want to throw down with a geriatric.

I'm not questioning the motivation just... the optics.

21. - Top - End - #21

Show
    Was anyone else weirded out a little by Johnny fighting Kreese? I wish Kreese were just slightly younger. I know he's a badass vet and a martial artist but come on... it's weird to see grown men who are also badass martial artists want to throw down with a geriatric.

I'm not questioning the motivation just... the optics.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Johnny's first fight against Kyler and Co. showed that he hurt his leg doing that very first kick. He's not in tip-top shape, as further evidenced by his apparently routine jam in the lemonade and other medical issues. Plus, the actors are older than Pat Morita was when he played Miyagi. Just because they aged well doesn't mean they're at the top of their game, and the show does a decent job of showing that (though i would appreciate their opponents getting a few more hits in during fights to help show that).

Kreese is also just a freak of nature to be in as good shape as he is. Hell, same for the actor. Dude is an amazing 74.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Every time I watchi this show, I'm honestly amazed by how young Ralph Macchio looks...
    Homebrew Stuff:

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Every time I watchi this show, I'm honestly amazed by how young Ralph Macchio looks...
    Seriously. Though IIRC wasn't he also like 20 when they made the first movie? Dude's always got that going for him, it seems.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-07 at 12:00 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Seriously. Though IIRC wasn't he also like 20 when they made the first movie? Dude's always got that going for him, it seems.
    I honestly thought he was 40~45 when I watched the show for the first time... I had to actually do the math in my head to realize he's in his late 50's / early 60's...

And even then, I thought I was wrong and had to check on the internet just to be sure.
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #25

Well then... perhaps I didn't realize how old the other guys were themselves lol.

26. - Top - End - #26

Well then... perhaps I didn't realize how old the other guys were themselves lol.
    There's a secret to aging well:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Have a lot of money.
    Doesn't always work, but it sure as hell has a good success rate.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Oof what a hard episode to get through. The bullied kids are joining Cobra Kai (I must not root for Johnny), and Daniel is a major donkey cavity getting the strip mall rents raised. At least his wife chewed him out on it. Hopefully putting on his "superhero" costume at the end is a sign of better things.

Later . . .

Lip to Hawk

Stop making me like Johnny!
    Last edited by Pex; 2021-01-08 at 10:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Yeah, they're not going to stop that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

You will like Johnny - a lot. Sorry pal, there's no way out.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Turns out Johnny is a pretty cool, if off color, guy when he doesn't have a karate cult leader telling him what to do. Who knew?

And that Daniel can be a bit of a brash a-hole if he doesn't have a more calming presence reigning him in.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."