New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Kai

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Cobra Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    I haven't been too impressed with the first 6.5 billion seasons of it, to be honest, though there are parts of it that were okay. It certainly jumped the shark last season with the whole "Pimply Sphere" pandemic subplot.
    That shark was jumped long ago and frankly this plot is overdone IMO. I think the main problem is the pacing as most of the seasons move the plot at glacial speed and you could easily fit everything relevant in about 6000 seasons.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    That shark was jumped long ago and frankly this plot is overdone IMO. I think the main problem is the pacing as most of the seasons move the plot at glacial speed and you could easily fit everything relevant in about 6000 seasons.
    Pfffft. Yeah, all that 'naturally evolving' plotline stuff the fans all think is in play, what a yawnfest.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Season 3 and stuff, great comments guys
    Show

I might be overreacting mainly because I'm touchy about this sort of subplot in films or series, but I'll get to that in a minute. That said, can I offer the suggestion that what Doc's sensing is wrong with Kreese's Flip-Flop to the Dark Side is of a similar bent to Anakin Skywalker's "Now I Shall Evil" face turn in ROTS: they seem to come out of nowhere because up to that point you've been getting a series of scenes and story devices that attempt to excuse both characters' choices rather than explain them as they should.

Look, for much of Kreese's backstory, maybe it's my cynicism talking, but the elements they choose to use are well-worn hero's background stuff: Kreese is working class, survived a bad family background, has been a fighter all his life, but is respectful, stands up for girls who are getting harassed, and despite being at the lower rung of the Great Unspoken Western Class System, he hasn't developed the sort of temper which inclines him to Molotov the diner when he gets tripped over by Biff Tannen. And these elements work out for him! The girl picks him, says she'll wait for him, he's picked out for Teh Elite Special Forces in the US Army, and notwithstanding the indoctrination and a PG-15 version of Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, he still can't bring himself to blow up a buddy for the sake of The Mission. All noble warrior stuff, you know?

But -- to me, and as said this is a similar irk I have with Little Orphan Annie in Revenge of the Ian McDiarmid -- that's what makes his decision to terminate the CO not fit. Because all of these factors, to me, do not explain a sudden desire to murder one's teacher in cold blood. We haven't seen, unless I am forgetting scenes or story beats, Kreese deciding to deliberately cheat, or lie, or try out Being Evil before crossing the rubicon of deliberate murder. We don't really see him as a guy who has poor impulse control, he knows when to pick his battles even back in civilian life. And we don't see the war change him as such to become a murderer; he might realise that his hesitation caused them all to get captured, but his decision to kill the CO is not a decision made overcompensating against hesitation, it is deliberate and directly against the simpler solution. Maybe Kreese kills the CO because he's worried he'll get kicked out of the Army for hesitating and thus blowing the original mission, but again, where is the setup for this? Where are the scenes of Kreese getting hauled over the coals for doing something sneaky, where is the scene that says 'One more screwup, busboy, and it's a dishonourable discharge for you'? Where, in short, does this outright desire to murder someone come from?

As said I probably was prejudiced against this sort of storyline anyway because I personally see the Star Wars prequels as a little bit distasteful, or maybe missing the mark: all 3 of the original films are written as a conscious or unconscious desire to make the audience think that Darth Vader's not such a bad guy. The endless cry for 'context' is the cry of the narcissist: 'Wait, you don't understand, I had reasons for everything horrible I did, it wasn't me, it was my upbringing that made me execute pre-teen children, torture a royal figure, stand by while literally billions of people were turned to cosmic dust, and - until the last - stand by while my own son was being electrocuted and begging for help.' I just get a bad taste in my mouth for this sort of thing, not just personally but also aesthetically, from a story point of view: it cheapens the character's will, it denies him actual agency or the sense that the character is making his own choices and is just being evil Because His Background Says He Must Be.

All that said - good calls fellas.
    Spoiler: Kreese
    Show
    I can't comment directly on the scenes mentioned, but perhaps some of the fall and Kreese's further development into 'evil' happen 'behind the scenes' during the backdrop of the Vietnam War?

Without getting into the politics of the time and how America's involvement of that was viewed by the public, there's another movie featuring a Vietnam Special Forces soldier coming back to the US and not handling civilian life not very well - John Rambo from First Blood.

Kreese just found himself with less PTSD and more transferable skills in the form of being able to to run a karate dojo.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

How much longer must I endure Daniel being an absolute Donkey Cavity? I get it why Cobra Kai had a lifetime ban on the tournament. It was deserved and Johnny absolutely needed to make his case for reinstatement, but Daniel was really such as a$$ about it. There was no context in the meeting. Onlybecause we knew what happened in the movie did it makes sense, but I can see how Johnny won the vote. No one else on that panel knew what happened. It was never explained. No talk of Kreese ordering his student to break Daniel's leg and purposely disqualifying. There a name drop but nothing else.

There needs to be a conflict or else there's no story, but get a grip already Daniel. You won, in more ways than one.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    How much longer must I endure Daniel being an absolute Donkey Cavity? I get it why Cobra Kai had a lifetime ban on the tournament. It was deserved and Johnny absolutely needed to make his case for reinstatement, but Daniel was really such as a$$ about it. There was no context in the meeting. Onlybecause we knew what happened in the movie did it makes sense, but I can see how Johnny won the vote. No one else on that panel knew what happened. It was never explained. No talk of Kreese ordering his student to break Daniel's leg and purposely disqualifying. There a name drop but nothing else.

There needs to be a conflict or else there's no story, but get a grip already Daniel. You won, in more ways than one.
    Daniel actually mentions Kreese (and Silver, from KK3), but Johnny has no idea who Silver is and says Kreese is dead. I assume Daniel brought his history with CK up during the council meeting behind closed doors while Johnny waited outside... But the council realized that 1- That happened 30+ years ago, 2- Johnny is not Kreese and 3- CK is bringing a real positive change to its students' lives.
    Homebrew Stuff:

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Season 1 finale
    Show
    I have a pretty big beef with the karate association - they keep harping about Daniel being a former champ, but so was Johnny. In his Junior year, he won without losing a single point, IIRC. He should also have a banner hanging up and should be recognized as a former champ, especially in the final round, where both contenders are being coached and trained by former Champs. But he gets zero mentions of this. Even if he hadn't been active in the community for three decades, he still should have been recognized when they were going over the prior winners rosters and making banners.

ETA: Just checked, and canonically Johnny lost in 1981 as a freshman and won 82 and 83. Two-time winner. He should definitely have been recognized by the association.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-14 at 02:56 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I suspect he's being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, rather than trying to add anything to the conversation.
    No, I was just stating the reasons why I personally don't like the show but if you're going to challenge my opinions then I will defend them. I just feel the series is getting way more credit then it deserves but I've said my piece and I'm bowing out now.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Show
    I have a pretty big beef with the karate association - they keep harping about Daniel being a former champ, but so was Johnny. In his Junior year, he won without losing a single point, IIRC. He should also have a banner hanging up and should be recognized as a former champ, especially in the final round, where both contenders are being coached and trained by former Champs. But he gets zero mentions of this. Even if he hadn't been active in the community for three decades, he still should have been recognized when they were going over the prior winners rosters and making banners.

ETA: Just checked, and canonically Johnny lost in 1981 as a freshman and won 82 and 83. Two-time winner. He should definitely have been recognized by the association.
    TBF... Would you recognize someone you haven't seen in 30+ years? Someone who isn't even a family member or close friend, just a dude who had some local notoriety back in the 80's...
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: Johnny
    Show
    Unless Cobra Kai being disqualified from the association also meant the removal of Johnny's recognition as a former champion.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterKnight404 View Post
    No, I was just stating the reasons why I personally don't like the show but if you're going to challenge my opinions then I will defend them. I just feel the series is getting way more credit then it deserves but I've said my piece and I'm bowing out now.
    If you don't like the show, you don't like the show; it's your opinion and I see no need to change it. Where I draw umbrage is when you base your opinions from factually incorrect statements like 'karate is not popular'.

As an example, I generally dislike 60s hippy music; I find the songs vapid and insipid, the musical equivalent of eating unseasoned instant potato mash. Simon and Garfunkel are such a band, but they've have won multiple Grammys, are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and are generally well liked - that means their music is considered good on some objective scale, so I can't call their music bad; I can still say that I don't like their music.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Spoiler: Johnny
    Show
    Unless Cobra Kai being disqualified from the association also meant the removal of Johnny's recognition as a former champion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's unlikely, because we know that said disqualification happened at least 6 years after Johny's victory (Cobra Kai was allowed to participate in the 1989 tournament). At that point, there was no reason to "un-recognize" Johny's achievement.
    Homebrew Stuff:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's unlikely, because we know that said disqualification happened at least 6 years after Johny's victory (Cobra Kai was allowed to participate in the 1989 tournament). At that point, there was no reason to "un-recognize" Johny's achievement.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Johnny's achievement is de facto an achievement of Cobra Kai, hence why they likely memory-holed it. But then weird inconsistent rulings are in-universe too. This is the same karate association that refused to disqualify Mike Barnes after kicks to the groin and illegal strikes in a championship match and literally screaming in the face of an opponent while he's down and injured on the floor.

EDIT: We also don't know how Johnny won his other two championships. If they were particularly brutal, or edge-cases, or contained warnings for illegal contact similar to how Danny's match played out I can understand why the association would've preferred not to recognise Johnny's achievement. And yes, I realise that might not be likely since Johnny appears shocked and horrified when Kreese tells him to sweep the leg in the movie, thus illustrating that Kreese hadn't told him to play dirty before, but it doesn't preclude the possibility of close-to-the-line conduct in earlier matches.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Johnny's achievement is de facto an achievement of Cobra Kai, hence why they likely memory-holed it. But then weird inconsistent rulings are in-universe too. This is the same karate association that refused to disqualify Mike Barnes after kicks to the groin and illegal strikes in a championship match and literally screaming in the face of an opponent while he's down and injured on the floor.

EDIT: We also don't know how Johnny won his other two championships. If they were particularly brutal, or edge-cases, or contained warnings for illegal contact similar to how Danny's match played out I can understand why the association would've preferred not to recognise Johnny's achievement. And yes, I realise that might not be likely since Johnny appears shocked and horrified when Kreese tells him to sweep the leg in the movie, thus illustrating that Kreese hadn't told him to play dirty before, but it doesn't preclude the possibility of close-to-the-line conduct in earlier matches.
    Spoiler
    Show
    From what we've seen in the movies and series, Myagi-Do was literally the only dojo capable of challenging Cobra Kai... For all its faults, Kreese and CK were really freaking good at karate. And Johnny was particularly talented. That, plus the scene you mentioned, make it seem like CK never really had to fight dirty. Their brutal high-on-offense style seems to work pretty well even without cheating.
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #73

TBF... Would you recognize someone you haven't seen in 30+ years? Someone who isn't even a family member or close friend, just a dude who had some local notoriety back in the 80's...
    Spoiler: Short version, yes.
    Show
    Imean, they clearly had records, since they put up banners of previous champions in their fighting poses during the matches the won. Johnny would have had two banners. Johnny then showing up as the sensei of a dojo, and his students doing remarkably well (two making it to the semifinals), really stretch the imagination that nobody in the organization realized who he was. Not to mention he registers Cobra using his name, which would also appear on their records.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Short version, yes.
    Show
    Imean, they clearly had records, since they put up banners of previous champions in their fighting poses during the matches the won. Johnny would have had two banners. Johnny then showing up as the sensei of a dojo, and his students doing remarkably well (two making it to the semifinals), really stretch the imagination that nobody in the organization realized who he was. Not to mention he registers Cobra using his name, which would also appear on their records.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think they put up banners for all champions... Specially from 30+ years ago. And even then, Johnny changed quite a bit. I'd say Daniel only gets a poster up there because he's in the council. Dabiel is probably among the oldest members of the council... It's likely that the others don't even remember what happened in '84.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-01-14 at 08:04 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #75

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think they put up banners for all champions... Specially from 30+ years ago. And even then, Johnny changed quite a bit. I'd say Daniel only gets a poster up there because he's in the council. Dabiel is probably among the oldest members of the council... It's likely that the others don't even remember what happened in '84.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They show at least one other banner in addition to Daniel's, and they make a big deal about it being the 50th anniversary championship. So it's more than just Daniel (and doing just him because he's on the council would be gauche at best and blatant unbridled favoritism at worst, especially once he steps in to coach Robbie Keene), and since he wasn't in any particularly notable year, it's not unreasonable to assume they have banners for all 50 winners. And, again, they clearly have records.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-14 at 08:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    From what we've seen in the movies and series, Myagi-Do was literally the only dojo capable of challenging Cobra Kai... For all its faults, Kreese and CK were really freaking good at karate. And Johnny was particularly talented. That, plus the scene you mentioned, make it seem like CK never really had to fight dirty. Their brutal high-on-offense style seems to work pretty well even without cheating.
    Spoiler: spoiler for thirty-year-old movies and recent TV series
    Show
    I don't think I'd go so far as to say Miyagi-Do was the only dojo capable of challenging Cobra Kai. During the movies at least, a decent number of Cobras get knocked out of the tournaments by fighters other than Daniel. Logically, if CK had been unchallengeable by anyone else, one would have expected to see a number of matches with Cobras fighting each other, since (going by the big, helpful banner up the back of the tournament) the All-Valley seems to be a single-elimination tournament from around the quarter-finals at least. This doesn't change even if there's some sort of round-robin or points-based competition at the lower stages; CK fields a lot of fighters every time by the look of it, and if no dojo could win matches against them they'd be occupying pretty much every other spot in the quarter-finals than Danny LaRusso.

That said, Johnny probably was extremely talented - the way Kreese tells it, as a newbie Johnny lost to a seriously good veteran karate champion but made the champion work for it.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    They show at least one other banner in addition to Daniel's, and they make a big deal about it being the 50th anniversary championship. So it's more than just Daniel (and doing just him because he's on the council would be gauche at best and blatant unbridled favoritism at worst, especially once he steps in to coach Robbie Keene), and since he wasn't in any particularly notable year, it's not unreasonable to assume they have banners for all 50 winners. And, again, they clearly have records.
    Spoiler
    Show
    But it's one thing to have records, maybe even posters of all past champions... It's another to remember each champion by name and/or recognize one o them 30+ years later (even Daniel himself almost didn't recognize Johnny). I mean... You can see celebrities of today that would be nearly unrecognizable as the same person they were 20 years ago. And Johnny doesn't have anything close to their fame.

Spoiler: spoiler for thirty-year-old movies and recent TV series
    Show
    I don't think I'd go so far as to say Miyagi-Do was the only dojo capable of challenging Cobra Kai. During the movies at least, a decent number of Cobras get knocked out of the tournaments by fighters other than Daniel. Logically, if CK had been unchallengeable by anyone else, one would have expected to see a number of matches with Cobras fighting each other, since (going by the big, helpful banner up the back of the tournament) the All-Valley seems to be a single-elimination tournament from around the quarter-finals at least. This doesn't change even if there's some sort of round-robin or points-based competition at the lower stages; CK fields a lot of fighters every time by the look of it, and if no dojo could win matches against them they'd be occupying pretty much every other spot in the quarter-finals than Danny LaRusso.

That said, Johnny probably was extremely talented - the way Kreese tells it, as a newbie Johnny lost to a seriously good veteran karate champion but made the champion work for it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's a fair point... Although it also shows the CKs perform pretty well before being defeated... And Johnny is indeed shown as quite talented multiple times.
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #78

Spoiler
    Show
    But it's one thing to have records, maybe even posters of all past champions... It's another to remember each champion by name and/or recognize one o them 30+ years later (even Daniel himself almost didn't recognize Johnny). I mean... You can see celebrities of today that would be nearly unrecognizable as the same person they were 20 years ago. And Johnny doesn't have anything close to their fame.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A.) Daniel immediately recognized Johnny. From behind.

2.) Far more damning, they have records of a Johnny Lawrence winning twice (which, for an under-18 fighting competition, is one hell of a feat, especially when he was still eligible the next year as well), while under the banner of Cobra Kai, with photos. Thirty years later, John Lawrence, sensei of revitalized Cobra Kai dojo petitions to have Cobra Kai fight in that tournament, openly portraying himself as a former student, meeting face-to-face with the committee who presumably personally voted and chose to put enormous banners of past winners up.

If a one-hit-wonder celebrity from 30 years ago suddenly appeared saying "I, Person who starred in This Movie, would like to make This Movie 2, with myself directing it. You have 15-foot-tall movie posters with my face on them on the walls of your house, and here I am in person pitching it to you," then yeah, pretty sure I'd be able to connect the dots. And frankly, I would be more than a little concerned about anyone who couldn't connect those dots.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-14 at 10:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

I doubt that little details was meant to be a big part of the show or how we judge the other members of the council, anyway.
    Homebrew Stuff:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    A.) Daniel immediately recognized Johnny. From behind.

2.) Far more damning, they have records of a Johnny Lawrence winning twice (which, for an under-18 fighting competition, is one hell of a feat, especially when he was still eligible the next year as well), while under the banner of Cobra Kai, with photos. Thirty years later, John Lawrence, sensei of revitalized Cobra Kai dojo petitions to have Cobra Kai fight in that tournament, openly portraying himself as a former student, meeting face-to-face with the committee who presumably personally voted and chose to put enormous banners of past winners up.

If a one-hit-wonder celebrity from 30 years ago suddenly appeared saying "I, Person who starred in This Movie, would like to make This Movie 2, with myself directing it. You have 15-foot-tall movie posters with my face on them on the walls of your house, and here I am in person pitching it to you," then yeah, pretty sure I'd be able to connect the dots. And frankly, I would be more than a little concerned about anyone who couldn't connect those dots.
    Spoiler: Speculation only
    Show
    Maybe the omission of Johnny from the posters at the All-Valley comes down to something akin to the old Black Sox Scandal. (And totally coincidentally, notice the picture on the Wiki article screams 'FIX THESE FACES IN YOUR MEMORY', which suggests someone had a feel for how short people's memories really are.) Shoeless Joe Jackson was one of that group. Always maintained his innocence, one of the best batters of the period if not all time. Still blacklisted and shunned by the association, literally a century later and they still won't admit him to the Hall of Fame if I understand it right.

Let's assume you're in a valley where karate is the biggest sport around and has been for decades. The sport is then tarnished by a seriously bad sequence of tournaments culminating in the relentless bullying and violent behaviour of one dojo in particular, to such a point that even in a competition where you can kick people in the groin or commit multiple fouls and not be disqualified during a championship, the relevant association decides to ban that dojo from competing in a tournament permanently. One of the prominent champions of that dojo is an immensely talented guy who won multiple championships, but then swept the leg to potentially give their opponent a permanent disability. Yes, he wasn't involved in the incidents that finally culminated in the banning of the dojo, but it's guilt by association. Either way, the dojo is blackbanned, it's considered a dark stain on the sport's history, all that. The dojo disappears a year or two later and is never heard from again...

...until it's 2019 and said prominent champion of that dojo comes forward looking to resurrect the dojo and then allow it to compete.

So maybe the analogy is this: Shoeless Joe Jackson comes to Iowa the Valley. He wants to restart the Black Sox as a team and have them compete in the local Little League. The former pitcher of the Cincinatti Reds happens to be on the Valley baseball council, stands up and starts shouting about the Black Sox were match fixers and threw the game against the Reds, how the Sox's playing style was entirely at odds with the spirit of the game, and nobody else on the baseball council was there and doesn't remember what it was like.

I know, nobody banned the Red Sox (although they might as well have given how many games they've won since), but maybe the choice not to put up posters of Johnny at the tournament is because the restoration of Cobra Kai is controversial and the All-Valley 50th doesn't need the additional controversy of 15-foot-tall posters of guys who at least the Gen Xers in the crowd remember as the bad boys of karate.

EDIT: Also, wasn't it only one person on the council who outright said he didn't know who Johnny was? Way I remembered it the only discussions in Johnny's presentation were from the Asian guy who said he didn't know who Johnny was, the ditzy soccer mom who said they needed more people like Johnny around, and Danny who tried to tell them what he thought of Johnny...?

21. - Top - End - #81

Well... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

I doubt that little details was meant to be a big part of the show or how we judge the other members of the council, anyway.
    Oh, I fully agree that it's a tiny, almost inconsequential detail. I just dislike that tiny, inconsequential detail.
    Spoiler: Speculation only
    Show
    Maybe the omission of Johnny from the posters at the All-Valley comes down to something akin to the old Black Sox Scandal. (And totally coincidentally, notice the picture on the Wiki article screams 'FIX THESE FACES IN YOUR MEMORY', which suggests someone had a feel for how short people's memories really are.) Shoeless Joe Jackson was one of that group. Always maintained his innocence, one of the best batters of the period if not all time. Still blacklisted and shunned by the association, literally a century later and they still won't admit him to the Hall of Fame if I understand it right.

Let's assume you're in a valley where karate is the biggest sport around and has been for decades. The sport is then tarnished by a seriously bad sequence of tournaments culminating in the relentless bullying and violent behaviour of one dojo in particular, to such a point that even in a competition where you can kick people in the groin or commit multiple fouls and not be disqualified during a championship, the relevant association decides to ban that dojo from competing in a tournament permanently. One of the prominent champions of that dojo is an immensely talented guy who won multiple championships, but then swept the leg to potentially give their opponent a permanent disability. Yes, he wasn't involved in the incidents that finally culminated in the banning of the dojo, but it's guilt by association. Either way, the dojo is blackbanned, it's considered a dark stain on the sport's history, all that. The dojo disappears a year or two later and is never heard from again...

...until it's 2019 and said prominent champion of that dojo comes forward looking to resurrect the dojo and then allow it to compete.

So maybe the analogy is this: Shoeless Joe Jackson comes to Iowa the Valley. He wants to restart the Black Sox as a team and have them compete in the local Little League. The former pitcher of the Cincinatti Reds happens to be on the Valley baseball council, stands up and starts shouting about the Black Sox were match fixers and threw the game against the Reds, how the Sox's playing style was entirely at odds with the spirit of the game, and nobody else on the baseball council was there and doesn't remember what it was like.

I know, nobody banned the Red Sox (although they might as well have given how many games they've won since), but maybe the choice not to put up posters of Johnny at the tournament is because the restoration of Cobra Kai is controversial and the All-Valley 50th doesn't need the additional controversy of 15-foot-tall posters of guys who at least the Gen Xers in the crowd remember as the bad boys of karate.

EDIT: Also, wasn't it only one person on the council who outright said he didn't know who Johnny was? Way I remembered it the only discussions in Johnny's presentation were from the Asian guy who said he didn't know who Johnny was, the ditzy soccer mom who said they needed more people like Johnny around, and Danny who tried to tell them what he thought of Johnny...?
    Spoiler
    Show
    But even in that analogy, Johnny wasn't on the team when the Nate Silver stuff went down. Nobody said boo about the people on the previous year's team.

Also, as far as memory goes, I'm not even a big sports guy but even I was like "Black Sox? Wasn't that the guys who threw the World Series?" before I clicked the link, so those efforts kind of worked.

Also, the worst character in the show by far is the school counselor.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Also, the worst character in the show by far is the school counselor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually thought the worst character was the fat adult doofus who was hanging around with teenage kids and who impersonated a security guard at the school for the end of Season 2. Unfortunate implications at least, I notice he wasn't brought back for season 3.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I actually thought the worst character was the fat adult doofus who was hanging around with teenage kids and who impersonated a security guard at the school for the end of Season 2. Unfortunate implications at least, I notice he wasn't brought back for season 3.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's shortly mentioned. Being brought up by a parent and the school officials replying that he actually never worked at the school and is now under parole and no longer allowed to be within a certain distance of minors

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Johnny & Posters
    Show

There's to consider that Daniel is one of the most prominent members of the Board and he absolutely hates Cobra Kai, so there's a reasonable chance he pushed over the years for a damnatio memoriae of everything and everyone connected to that dojo.
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2021-01-15 at 02:22 PM.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    Spoiler: Johnny & Posters
    Show

There's to consider that Daniel is one of the most prominent members of the Board and he absolutely hates Cobra Kai, so there's a reasonable chance he pushed over the years for a damnatio memoriae of everything and everyone connected to that dojo.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That doesn't fit with his reaction to Johnny when he sees him again at the dealership. He has clearly let bygones be bygones.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's just a straightforward thing of Daniel making sure no one ever forgot he was champ more then it was about people forgetting Johnny.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Season 3
    Show
    Rewatching the 3rd season... I only now realize Aisha is gone.

She was a cool character, but I honestly didn't notice her absence... Kinda sad. She was big part of both Sam and Tory's character.... In fact, her absence might be one of the reasons Tory goes down the deep end so quickly.

If they really had to write off a character, why not do it to Sam's brother??? He's been completely pointless since season 1.

EDIT: Apparently, the actress who plays Aish (Nicole Brown) was asking for the same amount of money as the other young actors, despite having no previous professional roles, while the others all had starring or reoccuring roles in other shows. She also didn't do anything to lose weight and improve her karate between seasons 1 and 2, making it difficult for the show to reflect the character's progression.

It makes sense that they would cut her off, then... Still sad to see her go.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-01-15 at 04:57 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    I felt like it was a mistake to not include her in the third season. Female POC with a unique body type - seems like we should be finding ways to include more individuals like this, not fewer. Still, if she refused to budge in terms of training or pay- it isn't just their fault I guess.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Show
    I felt like it was a mistake to not include her in the third season. Female POC with a unique body type - seems like we should be finding ways to include more individuals like this, not fewer. Still, if she refused to budge in terms of training or pay- it isn't just their fault I guess.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was hopping mad at first when I realized she wasn’t in the season anymore, but after watching it I think this season worked out a bit better for not having her. Sam’s arc in particular worked better without the possibility of a long time childhood friend to confide in leaving the potential of reducing feelings of tension and loneliness in the season.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground

Show
    She also didn't do anything to lose weight and improve her karate between seasons 1 and 2, making it difficult for the show to reflect the character's progression.go.
    Imo she was drastically thinner in season two.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.