New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Tomb of Dreams (IC)

The Reef
    Once you step into the cave, the first thing you notice is the sting of water pouring on you. You look up, and instead of rock you see storm clouds. You're standing on something between a large reef and a small, rocky, peninsula, in the middle of a raging sea. There's no sign of the cave or the forest. The waves roar and pound the rock, but only spray reaches you, mingling with the driving rain. You see glimpses of scarlet and violet weed in the water.
    The reef stretches North for a quarter mile, narrowing to five feet wide before connecting to a black sand beach studded with basalt spires and bracketed by cliffs. The beach slopes up to a tropical jungle, the branches thrashing back and forth in the wind. There's a vague red glow and a cloud of white smoke or steam on the Eastern side. The ocean surrounds the land on either side and stretches out to the Southern horizon.
    Last edited by Gareth3; 2021-01-03 at 08:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Tomb of Dreams (IC)

Darting Swallow steps forward cautiously, scanning for any potential threats, concerned about possibly Wyld influence as well. Brandishing Night's Promise, he ventures further in, senses open to any potential threat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Used to d20 games, so not sure about rolling format for this, but using Perception + Awareness, which has a dice pool of 8, 9 if I am detecting ambush. So, I'll roll 8, and then have a separate 9th roll if needed.

(1d10)[1]
    (1d10)[2]
    (1d10)[1]
    (1d10)[1]
    (1d10)[3]
    (1d10)[8]
    (1d10)[9]
    (1d10)[9]

If ambush

(1d10)[1]

Edit - Wow, that was a lot of 1's
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2021-01-04 at 11:15 AM.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Kievan blinked upwards at the sudden storm clouds in the sky above. A sky that should not have been there, given they'd just walked into a cave. Behind him, he could hear the roaring of the storm and the roiling sea. Before his eyes lay a jungle. He could smell salt on the air, and feel the occasional brush of seawater on his face. He saw all of these things, but he didn't let them distract him, because most of all he could feel danger in the air. He quickly scanned the area ahead... for about 6 seconds before he decided he'd rather talk to somebody.

He turned to grin at the copper-skinned beauty he'd come to know as Golden Butterfly, Princess of Rudo. She was there; silks, fancy sword, dignified and poised as she'd somehow managed to stay through their trek through a forest... but they were not alone.

He saw a tall lass (lad? he wasn't sure) with short cropped hair and a blade that looked too large for anyone to lift. Beside her was a large barrow hound, and both were immediately looking about to try and find an enemy. He grinned and gave them both a little wave, not letting any of his sudden apprehension show. Kievan loved dogs. They usually didn't love him.

There was a scrawny boy whose arms were covered in scars. Much like Kievan, this stranger had compact, lithe muscles. He had a massive lance and a chain shirt made from a beautiful golden material that Kievan felt he recognized. That one was gonna cramp his style, he could tell already... how was he supposed to show off if someone else could do what he did? Aside from doing it better, of course; which he would.

And... the last one wore robes whose very existence made Kievan's skin crawl. He could almost swear that he saw faces moving within the black robes. So much so that he didn't really notice anything else about them.

"Told ya we'd find this place easy enough." He called out to his companion, just loud enough to draw the attention of the others. Kievan was a southern man with lithe, compact muscles. On his neck are tattoos in a geometric pattern that marked him as of the Varangian Sundata caste. His hair is fair and short, and he boasts a wide, confident grin and relaxed posture. He wears no armor, yet his eyes slide off of your weapons as if he's not even remotely worried. "But it seems we've picked up some additional... compatriots? Friends? Allies? Strangers? Let's go with 'strangers'."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception 3+Awareness 0+Stunt 2 = 5

(5d10)[4][5][10][8][2](29)
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-04 at 11:58 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Shaman Vicious Twinge pulled back the hood, blinking in the suddenly humidity and bright sun. His black hair cascaded downhis shoulders and back as it was freed from that soul-wrenching paradox of a robe. He didn't know what he'd been expecting, but this certainly wasn't it. He glanced over the new companions, and adjusted his swords for easier access, not pulling them out just yet. The young healer knelt and ran the sand between his fingers. The one who spoke had clearly originated in the South, so it was a fair bet they'd all gone through the same cave, "I think it's safe to say that we're not inside the cave, nor anywhere in the South."

Spoiler: dice
    Show
    Roll to introduce a fact: This beach cannot exist anywhere within 1000 miles of the cave so we are somewhere else, Int (3)+Lore(5)+Excellency(4)=12 dice for 4 motes
    (12d10)[2][7][4][2][2][3][10][4][9][9][5][8](65)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Golden Butterfly followed Kievan through the cave, the sting of water that greeted her adding just another unpleasantness to the list. Kievan was a pleasant enough companion to be around, and certainly useful for a treck through wilderness like this. The pace he set on the other hand was exhausting to try to keep up with, not at all like a stroll through the garden.

The way the cave gave way to storm clouds and a reef, though if this place really concealed ancient treasures then hiding them in a hidden magical location would make sense. Comparing the location to her dreams and descriptions of strange places in occult books back from the royal library, Golden Butterfly tries to figure out what kind of place this is.

"We have travelled through a forest, on foot! And now we are greeted by stormy clouds and a raging sea inside a cave. I wouldn't call that easy". Noticing that it was no longer just the two of them there, Golden Butterfly casually adjusts her silks making sure she is striking a dignified pose even if it was raining. "Surely we are all friends, now did you also have the dreams of treasure being hidden here? And yes, I doubt we are still inside the cave."

Show
    Int 4 + Occult 4 + Stunt 2 = 10

(10d10)[8][9][2][8][9][10][7][9][5][2](69)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Whipping around at the sound of the voices, Swallow stands in a defensive position. "Who are you? Have you come to capture me? Why are you here?". As he says this, his muscles seem to swell slightly, making him appear much more powerful, as essence courses through his body to reinforce his might.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Since I don't know any of the others I activate Increasing Strength Exercise for 6m to gain 2 Strength (my armor treats my Essence as one higher for this purpose), putting me at 5 Strength.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Whipping around at the sound of the voices, Swallow stands in a defensive position. "Who are you? Have you come to capture me? Why are you here?". As he says this, his muscles seem to swell slightly, making him appear much more powerful, as essence courses through his body to reinforce his might.

Show
    Since I don't know any of the others I activate Increasing Strength Exercise for 6m to gain 2 Strength (my armor treats my Essence as one higher for this purpose), putting me at 5 Strength.
    Kievan raised an eyebrow at that, smile already dead. "By the Maiden's tits, calm yours! If we were here to capture you you'd already be flat on your ass listening to me taunt you for how slow you probably are. Heck, if I had been following you you never would've made it to this cave in the first place. Probably."

He glanced among the others and gave an appropriately theatrical bow. "Speaking of the Maidens, thank them for bringing us together. I am Talt Sundata Kievan (call me Kievan), here on special dispatch from Pandit Rurika of the Varangian Confederacy. You may know of me from the daring Troupe of the Russ, with some of the finest theater performances in all of Creation! Our fights are full contact, all our stunts performed without tricking the senses."

It was a similar spiel to the one he'd given Golden Butterfly. Sundata Kievan was his cover, and one he'd maintained for years. There was power in a well-maintained lie, one he would hopefully never have to reveal to this group.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-04 at 10:33 PM.

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Black Dog's hand drops to the hilt of her sword as she looks around at these others surrounding her, glancing quickly at Grim whose only reaction so far has been to raise his hackles and glare at the newcomers. Convinced for the moment that they aren't likely to try and kill her, she gives a mental shrug and turns her attention to the most immediate problem: Finding shelter from the pouring rain she's in. Casting around, looking for sheltering trees or cliffs. The how and where can be thought over someplace dry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception + Survival/Awareness (Same value) to look around and seek out the most sheltered looking area to head to.
    3 + 5 + 2 (Stunt if applicable)
    (10d10)[8][3][3][10][5][2][2][8][7][7](55) (6 if stunt, 4 if not)
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2021-01-05 at 12:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

There's nothing obviously dangerous nearby, unless you count the other Solars.
    The red glow and white cloud suggests a volcano, and no other land is visible. An isolated single island with an active volcano is unusual, and you don't know of one within 1,000 miles of the original cave.
    The rainwater has an odd bitter taste and stings on the skin. Under the foam and crashing waves you can just make out teeming sea life, fish and stranger creatures that look too fragile for the rough water. There are many possible explanations for the weirdness, ranging from a simple elemental demesne up to the most bizarre heights of sorcery. You'll need to investigate further to narrow down the options.
    The rock pillars on beach or the edge of the jungle will provide some shelter.
    Show
    I'm combining responses here in the assumption the information is shared between everyone.
    Last edited by Gareth3; 2021-01-05 at 01:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Still silent, the rain seems to slide off Black Dog without leaving her as wet as it should as she turns and stalks across the reef towards the limited shelter offered by the pillared beach in the distance, sparing only a backward glance to Grim who follows after giving the assembled people a wary look. She pauses every now and then to examine the strange weeds and wildlife visible from where she stands stop the reef, trying to get some bearings as to where this might be. Probably safe to rule out the Underworld at least. Elemental demesne's usually had an overarching theme to them, which should be apparent by the predominance of certain elements. Her progress is purposeful, yet slow enough that should the others also choose sense and head for the shelter of the beach they should be able to keep pace.

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

As Black Dog walks towards the beach, two dull-red lights appear in front of her, like glowing coals. Smoke and floating cinders pour out of them, forming a vague wolf-like shape. The thing growls, and you realise it's speaking. "TURN BACK. THIS PLACE IS NOT FOR YOU."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Kievan glances over the strange creature. "Now hang on there trigger, we were invited to this place in our dreams. Besides, right this second we just want out of the rain, that's not much to ask now is it?"

Show
    Do I recognize this creature at all?

Spending 7 peripheral dots; 1 to mute my anima and the other six on a full lore excellency. I doubt my astrology specialty applies here.

(12d10)[10][5][8][4][6][4][5][10][1][1][1][9](64)

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The wolf's growl is met with an answering one, as Grim steps up beside Black Dog. Tilting her head at Kievan's friendly response, instead the first words out of her mouth since entering the cave are in Old Realm, her tone harsh and demanding, "Who and what are you to forbid me passage, spirit?" As she speaks, she shifts her stance in preparation for combat and slowly draws a slender, jet-black sword from it's scabbard at her hip. Rain hissing as it evaporates on contact with the unnatural metal, she holds the sword to one side, not overtly hostile but clearly ready for a fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Int + Occult to identify the spirit, 3m on Occult Exy + Specialty in spirits:
    (11d10)[4][5][9][1][1][9][2][7][10][7][4](59) (6 Successes)
    In case of stunt: (2d10)[2][6](8) (0 added)

Throw in Charisma + Presence to intimidate/show strength, spend 1m on that one:
    (6d10)[10][2][8][2][2][10](34) (5 successes)
    Stunt: (2d10)[8][1](9) (1 added)

I'm mostly avoiding flaring anima, and also conserving motes for a potential fight. Also can I just say, after play a Dragon-blooded for a while, man the Solar Excellencies feel boring. No dice tricks, just raw power. Suppose that fits the theme though
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2021-01-06 at 07:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Since there was no obvious way of returning to the cave and finding shelter there, the obvious thing to do would be to follow the rest and find some shelter up ahead.

Considering the creature blocking their path for a moment, from its words it might be a guardian of sorts? Either way the creature would likely know something about this place and what awaits them here. "It is as my friend here says, we were invited to this place in our dreams. The path behind us seems to have closed so turning back is a little difficult. Perhaps you could explain why you think we should turn back and where we are? That way we could figure out a solution that suits us all."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Charisma 5 + Presence 5 + Harmonious Presence Meditation 3 + stunt 2 = 15 dice to persuade it to explain.
    (15d10)[6][8][9][6][5][5][2][3][3][8][4][10][7][10][5](91)

Do I get Appearance dice? (if so take for however many I get)
    (5d10)[1][1][6][6][1](15)

Intelligence 4 + Occult 4 + stunt 2 = 10 dice to figure out what the creature is.
    (10d10)[7][8][8][4][6][1][6][2][8][9](59)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Lowering his guard, Darting Swallow relents, but is still wary. "If you shared and know of my dream, then we must somehow be connected. Still, I don't know you. I think for now it best we gather under the shelter and figure out how to proceed." He then proceeds to follow towards the rocky enclosure to escape the rain.

His eyes scan the strangers, taking in their movements. He tries to size them up as best he can, to see what he can determine about their strengths and weaknesses as well as get a basic understanding of their personalities.

Show
    Not expecting much from this roll, but essentially a form of cold reading. I'm guessing Intelligence + Awareness + 2 Stunt, so 9.

(9d10)[46]

Rolled in OoC thread, got 7 successes.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2021-01-06 at 08:59 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

The smoke condenses, and the thing becomes an enormous black dog or wolf with glowing red eyes, six feet tall at the shoulder and still trailing smoke at the edges. The spirits known as Dogs of the Unbroken Earth have a similar appearance but without the smoke effect, so this may be a coincidence. You don't know of any other spirit that resembles this more closely.
    The wolf shows no reaction to most of the Solars, but when Golden Butterfly speaks it turns to look at her and snarls wordlessly. Its eyes blink out like snuffed candles and its body dissolves into smoke which vanishes into the wind. The rain has eased to drizzle.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Black Dog remains where she was, cocking her head to the side listening, eyes, ears and, nose open for signs that the spirit is still around.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception + Awareness + passive bonus from Uncanny Perception Technique: 8 dice, 3 auto successes.
    (8d10)[7][10][9][7][1][1][5][9](49) 9 successes
    Stunt: (2d10)[3][5](8) (I'm just gonna add these to all my rolls separately, count them if they apply, ignore otherwise, let me know if I ever manage a 2-point or higher stunt).
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2021-01-08 at 01:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Black Dog
    Show
    After the smoke has vanished, you can sense the presence of the wolf spirit for a few seconds. Then it quickly fades from your perception, leaving nothing unusual.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Black Dog visibly relaxes, going from combat-ready to merely alert. Her uncanny sword returning to it's sheath, taking with it a faint, unquantifiable background sound. She turns and regards the others suspiciously, particularly Golden Butterfly. "It's gone." Grim starts off towards the beach again, slower than before, and Black Dog turns to follow him.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"... well that was easy." Kievan pointed off into the jungle. "Let's get moving before it changes its mind."

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Well, nevertheless, I know my weapon will be at the ready. Winding up at a beach in the middle of a forest hundreds, if not thousands of miles from a body of water, and now wolves made of smoke, I am not really liking how this is going. Whose to say we are not wandering into the Wyld. I don't know much about that place, but I've heard my fair share of stories."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    "Well, nevertheless, I know my weapon will be at the ready. Winding up at a beach in the middle of a forest hundreds, if not thousands of miles from a body of water, and now wolves made of smoke, I am not really liking how this is going. Whose to say we are not wandering into the Wyld. I don't know much about that place, but I've heard my fair share of stories."
    "Oh lighten up! Things make too much sense to be the Wyld." Kievan dashes past Darting Swallow in a blur as he goes under a tree. "See? I'm standing under a tree and my head isn't getting rained on. If this was the Wyld, my hair would be turning into dancing snakes that speak by throwing up dead children or something. We're in a cave! A weird cave, but a cave in Creation nonetheless. Now come on!"

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

The sea is at low tide, exposing a wide beach of coarse black sand, littered with brightly coloured scraps of seaweed. Streams of rainwater run through it to the crashing surf, and the beach is studded with basalt spires ranging from six to twenty feet high. At either end of the beach the spires merge into black basalt cliffs. Above the beach is dense tropical jungle which gives shelter from the wind and drizzle.

Show
    You sense the presence of a spirit to the West of where you arrived on the beach.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Vicious followed the rest of the group, not saying much as he weighed his thoughts, "The apparition only reacted to your voice," here he gestured at Golden Butterfly, "Do you have some connection or power over the beast?" He had some suspicions, but the only other Anathema he'd encountered was a Forsaken, so the stories of Spirits bending knee before the Deceivers could only be that. He took a few more surreptitious glances, trying to spot a spell or working that could accomplish it. There was always a tell, a thread of reality out of order that told a Sorcerer where to pull to unravel or twist it.
    Spoiler: dice
    Show

Intelligence(3)+Occult(1)+Exc(4)+stunt(2)=10 dice
    (10d10)[8][10][6][5][5][10][5][7][9][2](67)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Golden Butterfly had really hoped the creature could explain a bit about the nature of this place and what they could expect. Turning toward Vicious Our exchange was too short for me to get a clear grasp of why it only reacted to what I said, my guess would be it was something I said. I do not have any connection or power over the spirit, though I do know some sorcery and could probably call a similar creature into existance given enough time and effort. These people she met inside were clearly in a similar situation to herself and Kievan, though it seemed introductions had been cut a bit short. Turning to everyone present I am known as Golden Butterfly, it is a pleasure to meet you all.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"I am Darting Swallow. If you are the one these things react to, I suppose it is best to stick close to you then."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Vicious Twinge
    Show
    Your search for evidence of magic is confusing - everything around you, from the island to the ocean to even the clouds in the sky is subtly wrong, suggesting the use of very high-level sorcery. The only things that don't show any traces of magic are the Solars, including yourself.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright!" Kievan rubbed his hands together, grinning like a maniac. "Talt Sundata Kievan. Call me Kievan. Nice to meet you all. Now, let's go find something dangerous and/or slow so you can see how awesome I am!"

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Grim moves around the beach, not straying too far from the group, inspecting the spires and the sand warily. Black Dog's eyes, reflecting a light not entirely of this world, look off to the West. Her attention seemingly elsewhere she simply says: "Black Dog."
    Spoiler
    Show
    3m on Spirit Detecting Glance to look for the spirit triggering her senses. Perception (3) + Awareness (5) + 3 successes from Uncanny Perception Technique.
    Roll: (8d10)[4][2][10][6][8][3][10][7](50) 9 Successes
    Stunt: (2d10)[9][3](12) 1 extra (If applicable)
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2021-01-12 at 04:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

Show
    There's a tall women in a blue robe standing a little way West of the others, carrying a fishing spear. The only unusual thing about her is her hair, which looks like the spray from a waterfall. She's watching all the Solars carefully in turn, and when she's seen all of them she looks relieved.