A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: This year we kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Unless they're particularly adept at pointing blame elsewhere and convince a majority that the outcome was despite their actions, not as a logical result of.
    Between making everyone more cognitively skilled (and enabling some to use that to trick others) and making everyone less cognitively skilled, I'll take the former every time.
    Last edited by NichG; 2022-01-05 at 04:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Before fun news: yay, Covid positive, quarantining, no symptoms.

In the 'no duh' category, the European Medicines Agency state they believe that with Omicron, Covid has gone from pandemic to endemic. Its high transmissibility, combined with its low hospitalization and mortality, means more folks are getting exposed, which might slow the spread of future strains a bit faster than the slower-transmitting Delta.

Also, researchers in Poland THINK they've found a gene that makes people more susceptible to Covid, increasing its danger to those individuals. It's hoped with a quick gene test, that those people are identified and greater precautionary measures can be taken. I suppose we'll wait and see.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2022-01-13 at 12:10 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Before fun news: yay, Covid positive, quarantining, no symptoms.

In the 'no duh' category, the European Medicines Agency state they believe that with Omicron, Covid has gone from pandemic to endemic. Its high transmissibility, combined with its low hospitalization and mortality, means more folks are getting exposed, which might slow the spread of future strains a bit faster than the slower-transmitting Delta.
    That...makes no sense? Omicron is having lower mortality, yes, which is a good thing, but it also has ludicrous spread in comparison to anything we've seen before. From what we have seen, vaccines are more effective than natural immunity, and so Omicron being faster-spread doesn't mean it'll spread slower. Like...what? Did I misread that?
    A pandemic vs endemic outbreak is defined by spread and reach. Omicron is affecting the entire world, it is absolutely a pandemic. "Endemic" means it is only happening in small areas.

Also, deaths happening at a lower rate would still mean millions upon millions dying. Wear a mask for sure.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

All I know is the hospitals are screaming from overcrowding due to the Omicron variant. I don't think we're into the endemic phase yet (At least I really really hope this isn't the Endemic Phase! So much worse than Flu Season!).
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    From what we have seen, vaccines are more effective than natural immunity, and so Omicron being faster-spread doesn't mean it'll spread slower. Like...what? Did I misread that?
    No, not misread. It's the idea behind it.

The EMA is taking the position that the natural immunity, while it is relatively short-lived, will be long enough in enough people to slow the spread of emerging Covid strains in the short term; in addition, that the reduction in deaths would hopefully carry on in the next major strain due to its prevalence.

In this sense, they're using the term 'endemic' to reflect a disease that we'll be regularly inoculating for, and hopefully with a mortality rate that's much lower than it has been.

Like how the flu is considered an endemic virus, even though it goes worldwide.

The flu is estimated to kill 200-500k / people a year worldwide. And they're taking the position that if we get Covid to that level, that's acceptable since there's been active efforts to prevent containment and a halt to Covid entirely. And that's why they're accepting of the number of deaths that result from Omicron.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    All I know is the hospitals are screaming from overcrowding due to the Omicron variant. I don't think we're into the endemic phase yet (At least I really really hope this isn't the Endemic Phase! So much worse than Flu Season!).
    There's been four waves in Florida. At this point, I'm going to say it's gone endemic because of the active efforts to prevent containment. We have means of controlling and treating it.

As for the hospitals, well, it was only a matter of time until there was a major strain that would spread faster and lead to a higher number of hospitalizations at a single point in time. But then... some folks only see the now.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2022-01-13 at 05:47 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: This year we don't kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: This year we don't kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I can only agree with everything in the article.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

The whole “get the virus and then be ok” is just an expansion of many other antivaxx conspiracy theories. It makes zero sense to intentionally infect yourself with something just to avoid getting that something….again. It makes sense less sense when vaccination gives you the immunity benefits of getting the disease without the actual downsides of the disease, in exchange for extremely minimal and/or rare downsides of the vaccine itself.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    The whole “get the virus and then be ok” is just an expansion of many other antivaxx conspiracy theories. It makes zero sense to intentionally infect yourself with something just to avoid getting that something….again. It makes sense less sense when vaccination gives you the immunity benefits of getting the disease without the actual downsides of the disease, in exchange for extremely minimal and/or rare downsides of the vaccine itself.
    I dunno, it has a certain logic to it. What if instead of getting the full virus, we got a less potent version of the virus (like a weakened version or inactivated version of the virus)? Also, to speed up transmission, we could just inject it directly. That seems like it might be a decent idea. Do I smell a Nobel?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I dunno, it has a certain logic to it. What if instead of getting the full virus, we got a less potent version of the virus (like a weakened version or inactivated version of the virus)? Also, to speed up transmission, we could just inject it directly. That seems like it might be a decent idea. Do I smell a Nobel?
    I wonder if Omicron's rate of spread has actually exceeded the maximum rate of vaccination we have the infrastructure and logistics to provide.

Anyhow, I guess it could make a little sense if you're 3x vax'd and can't avoid exposure to other people since we don't have Omicron specific boosters yet and there's no guarantee that variants deriving from Omicron won't increase in lethality. So getting it out of the way in a controlled manner where you know when you're infectious and can take vacation and preemptively quarantine could look like a viable choice on paper at least, if you aren't considering what that might do to hospital numbers if lots of people had the same idea.

But at least for me I'd rather just never get COVID at all, and what I need to do in order to have a chance of that isn't particularly onerous.