Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: This year we kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

Sometimes, people are just silly.

Authorities in north Germany have asked more than 8,000 people to get repeat Covid vaccinations because a nurse is suspected of having injected saline instead of vaccine in many cases.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58186032
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Sometimes, people are just silly.
    Or malicious. Remember this kid?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

I won't go into specifics on recent policy updates relating to COVID (good ones mostly), but I have unrelated good news
    After falling off in May, vaccination rates have been slowly climbing over the last few months, and the US in particular broke a million in a day for the first time since like June. Really glad about that.
    On one hand, about 40% of people have received at least one dose. But, as unfortunately expected, only about 2% of people in low-income countries have at least one dose.
    Hopefully there'll be some sort of concerted effort to start shifting more towards vaccinating, you know, the entire world? There's also research underway about a whole bunch of things related to COVID including an easier to transport vaccine, which would help a lot in getting that 2% up.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-09-09 at 11:29 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #634
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I would urge people in more privileged countries to get vaccinated. I feel that until their population has been fully vaccinated then will those vaccines get to those under priviledged countries.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Bugbear in the Playground

The big problem with transporting vaccines is the storage temperature. The mRNA technology behind BioNTech and Moderna has been in development for years and I'd be surprised if anyone can work out how to shift it above dry ice and freezer temperatures so quickly. Oxford, Janssen, and Sputnik V use older technology with refrigerator temperatures and I'd be even more surprised if they can be shifted to room temperature. So, the Third World need fleets of refrigerated lorries and GP surgeries with reliable electricity. I think most can achieve that.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

also what happened in my country, a batch of pfizer vaccines basically went bad because of poor storage conditions.

The moderna and J&J ones seems able to handle normal vaccine refrigiration while pfizer needs special refrigiration methods

7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by anjxed View Post
    The moderna and J&J ones seems able to handle normal vaccine refrigiration while pfizer needs special refrigiration methods
    Moderna and J&J are best stored between 2 and 8 Centigrade.

Whereas Pfizer is -90 to -60C.

And with Moderna looking to offer the better protection compared to J&J to the new variants, it might be the go-to for international efforts.

Even then, though, is just getting to remote areas AND coordination... which I said a long time ago.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

We are living in a real-life science fiction movie that has become a reality to this damn virus. I just found out early this morning in Facebook Messenger that one of my friend's grandmothers passed away from COVID.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

This one seems appropriate: xkcd: Vaccine Research. Sadly, most people 'researching' the vaccines online aren't hitting the medical studies.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    We are living in a real-life science fiction movie that has become a reality to this damn virus. I just found out early this morning in Facebook Messenger that one of my friend's grandmothers passed away from COVID.
    Blast! My sympathies. Small wonder so many are losing patience with those who won't get vaccinated.

Case in point: the Man who died of a heart condition because he couldn't get into an ICU . He went to 43 of them. 43. They were all full of covid patients, almost all of whom were unvaccinated.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

11. - Top - End - #641
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Blast! My sympathies. Small wonder so many are losing patience with those who won't get vaccinated.

Case in point: the Man who died of a heart condition because he couldn't get into an ICU . He went to 43 of them. 43. They were all full of covid patients, almost all of whom were unvaccinated.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    He did not go to 43. He went to Cullman hospital, and the staff there contacted 44 other facilities that could provide the care he needed. 43 were unable to take him in, and he was transported to teh 44th, where he passed away. Tiny nitpick that doesn't really change anything, but still.

Also, significantly better link which doesn't try to autoplay any videos and just has less invasive/annoying site design in general : https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ty-ray-demonia
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

My older brother got his first vaccination today. I'm very proud of him.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!