New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Cold cuts / deli meat made of fish?

Are there any common cold cuts / deli meats / lunch meats which are made of fish rather than mammal or fowl meat? If so, what are they, and what countries or regions are they sold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Cold cuts / deli meat made of fish?

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Are there any common cold cuts / deli meats / lunch meats which are made of fish rather than mammal or fowl meat? If so, what are they, and what countries or regions are they sold?
    Smoked salmon/Lox is pretty common. Scandanavian/Norwegian has a number of cured fish options that are routinely eaten cold the way you might normally eat cold cuts.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't think it'd be classified as a cold cut, but smoked salmon is served cold and is fairly prevalent in the US.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is even less of a cold cut than the others, but tuna salad is a popular sandwich ingredient
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-04-27 at 02:06 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

What about things like smoked salmon/trout, Gravlax and Lox? Or cooked seafood like prawns, crab and lobster, cockles or mussels. Or maybe things like Rollmops (pickled herring) are more your taste

Then there's various roes (some people like soft herring roes on toast - I'll pass personally, but there's also caviar), oysters (raw and cooked), and formed products like crab sticks.

And of course Sashimi.
    Last edited by Storm_Of_Snow; 2022-04-27 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Typo

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I should have specified. I mean something that is normally delivered to a store as a loaf/log/large sausage, and is then sliced to order.

Examples:

So, something like that which is made from muscle meat of fish rather than from mammals or birds.

Also, when I said fish, at the time I meant muscle meat from fish, not seafood in general. However, I am still interested in answers involving the broader category of seafood.
    Last edited by gomipile; 2022-04-27 at 02:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Storm_Of_Snow View Post
    What about things like smoked salmon/trout, Gravlax and Lox? Or cooked seafood like prawns, crab and lobster, cockles or mussels. Or maybe things like Rollmops (pickled herring) are more your taste

Then there's various roes (some people like soft herring roes on toast - I'll pass personally, but there's also caviar), oysters (raw and cooked), and formed products like crab sticks.

And of course Sashimi.
    With herring there are loads of options - not just pickled ones. Where I live, there are many variations on raw herring starting from a simple one in oil and loads of onions, spreading to various marinades with garlic, mustard, curry, herbs, beats, shrooms (among other possible ingredients) up to uncountable raw herring salads. Also in cream sauce (often with onions and apples) - quite popular.

edit: I kind of feel about herring as Bubba did about shrimps.
    Last edited by Radar; 2022-04-27 at 03:03 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I think the closest equivalent would be things like imitation crab, kamaboko and fish balls.

They're all East Asian dishes made from processed white fish meat, but none are quite the same sort of thing as what deli meats tend to be like. Fish and most land meats work differently when you try to cook them, so I imagine fish doesn't like to hold a loaf properly when pressed like deli meats.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I think the closest equivalent would be things like imitation crab, kamaboko and fish balls.

They're all East Asian dishes made from processed white fish meat, but none are quite the same sort of thing as what deli meats tend to be like. Fish and most land meats work differently when you try to cook them, so I imagine fish doesn't like to hold a loaf properly when pressed like deli meats.
    Theres also Korean fish cake, but that's more like street food and served hot. So aside from being radically different from what OP requested, you made me think of that.

Wish I could be more helpful.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I should have specified. I mean something that is normally delivered to a store as a loaf/log/large sausage, and is then sliced to order.

Examples:

So, something like that which is made from muscle meat of fish rather than from mammals or birds.

Also, when I said fish, at the time I meant muscle meat from fish, not seafood in general. However, I am still interested in answers involving the broader category of seafood.
    I've seen smoked salmon done sort of that way, but I live in Alaska where its a fairly important industry & cultural element. Its not a "log" but more like the whole side of the fish, smoked & the weight you ask for shaved off into slices.

The closest I think you'll get to "sausaged" fish is surimi & the other mixed fish chunks another poster mentioned. But those aren't normally sliced/sectioned in the deli, that happens before packing & shipping to the market.

Edit: pfft. Fish sausage + google. https://www.google.com/search?q=fish+sausage&oq=fish+sausage
    Can't believe I didn't think of that first.
    Last edited by Telok; 2022-04-27 at 04:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Told my wife about this thread, she confirmed that Korean fish cake is readily shipped and sold in log/loaf form. And it can very much be eaten cold, it's just usually served hot as street food.

So yes, fish cake can work for this.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Told my wife about this thread, she confirmed that Korean fish cake is readily shipped and sold in log/loaf form. And it can very much be eaten cold, it's just usually served hot as street food.

So yes, fish cake can work for this.
    A couple slices of chilled kamaboko was pretty common in the prepared bento boxes I bought while in Japan. Usually with a pink swirl pattern. While not a lunch meat, I'll mention cocktail shrimp as classic seafood cold cut. Most proper fishmongers I've been to have had a counter that slices sashimi to order but I doubt that counts. I think most processed fish comes in canned/tinned forms, more like spam, but with less processing. I'm a big fan of canned mackerel slices, both straight from the tin and on crackers. Of course, anything can be made into sausage, but I don't think many places sell it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm imagining something like kamaboko, chikuwa, or crab flavored pollack sticks, but loaf sized.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

There's also Fish paste. At least here in Germany, it's sold in cans, tubes and jars, and used as a sandwich spread. Fish sausage is also a thing, like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

I've tried some and pretty uniformly found them disgusting.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-04-28 at 03:16 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Why would you all want to ruin fish that way anyway?

Frickin barbarians.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Italian regions have their own versions of salami made from fish, especially tuna (musciame, ficazza), trout, and sturgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).