A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: This year we kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

I didn't find getting a booster to be that big of a deal, so getting variant-specific vaccines yearly doesn't seem particularly unreasonable to me. Better by far than e.g. getting COVID every year.

As far as a full on solution? We missed the boat on that two years ago when it was initially spreading. One way or another we're at best going to be carrying a bunch of inconveniences forward for the rest of our lives such as occasional travel disruptions, yearly boosters, etc.
    Last edited by NichG; 2021-11-29 at 03:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    There's a lot of unknowns. We're currently trying to find out if Omicron can evade vaccines

There's also a question of it's severity. The original reporter stated the symptoms seemed mild . Although it is apparently driving a rise in hospitalizations .

A vaccine tailor-made for Omicron will take 100 days .

So then what? We go through another year, rinse and repeat for the next variant? That isn't a solution.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    100 days to develop is...pretty impressive. But 100 days, plus whatever length of time it takes to deploy, which is...apparently a good bit if we're talking the entire world, adds up to a big lag time. By the time the specialized vaccine is out, it'll likely have already spread worldwide, boomed and busted and we'll be on to the next variant, given history.

A variant specific vaccine for it, at that stage is...okay I guess, but not all that relevant? The flu virus model only works by predicting which strain will be common in a given year. If we developed flu shots reactively AFTER it had spread, it would...not do much to help.

I have no idea if it's possible to predict how variants will emerge for coronaviruses. That'd be one theoretical pathway, but it's not one we've really done so far. We have been distinctly behind the curve with variants, not ahead of it.

Sadly, the current almost makes the strategy of "everyone not at exceptional risk just gets covid quickly so it burns itself out before it can mutate" not awful by comparison. It's not a *good* strategy, but the variant treadmill is doing us no favors, and poses a very long term threat.

I suppose we could look at immunocompromised support. Not that this is easy, either, but it seems a repeated weakness in humanity's defenses. Anything that helps shore that up in any respect might increase the average time between variants. *shrug* This all pretty speculative looking at the broader problem, but we definitely need something.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    The flu virus model only works by predicting which strain will be common in a given year. If we developed flu shots reactively AFTER it had spread, it would...not do much to help.
    Part of the 'prediction' is actually seeing which flu strains are already circulating out there and trying to predict which ones, already infecting people, are going to be dominant later on in the year.

So it'd be like looking at all the strains of COVID in hospitalized people in an area, and then trying to predict which ones are going to infect more people when they spread further. In an ideal world, you'd be able to make vaccines for all; in the real world, you can only do a few.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

For flu they actually check what circulates amongst birds and pigs, as that's also an indicator about what will circulate with humans later. Of course, for COVID it's a bit tricky as they aren't completely sure which animal(s) to check.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So Delta has evolved into Omnicron. That sounds like a Transformer name. What it will evolve into next, Unikitty?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So Delta has evolved into Omnicron. That sounds like a Transformer name. What it will evolve into next, Unikitty?
    The variant names are currently based on the Greek alphabet. It's Omicron, not Omnicron.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Only sorcerers/favored souls etc get to always use every spell they know.
    All five of them, that is.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

and they skipped the netter Nu because it sounds too much like new and Xi, as it's a common name in China.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #758
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I say they should start naming them after final fantasy monsters or espers after they run out of Greek letters: Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, Bahamut, and so on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I say they should start naming them after final fantasy monsters or espers after they run out of Greek letters: Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, Bahamut, and so on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    I mean, those are all based on actual mythologies out there, so I'm not sure that'd square with an apparent goal of avoiding attaching variants to specific cultures...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Just call them CYearLetter. C22b. C27f. etc. Variants probably won't be relevant outside of a 1-2 year span, so remembering e.g. 'q is the bad one' can be updated easily.
    Last edited by NichG; 2021-12-01 at 03:33 PM.