New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: This year we kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The pandemic has made me very happy I walked away from social media several years ago.
    Then you get those of us who work in fields that never CAN shut down, be it ... no, sorry, ESPECIALLY for pandemics, natural disasters, major accidents...

You meet those Social Media junkies RL. And they're just as unfiltered...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Then you get those of us who work in fields that never CAN shut down, be it ... no, sorry, ESPECIALLY for pandemics, natural disasters, major accidents...

You meet those Social Media junkies RL. And they're just as unfiltered...
    What frustrates me most at this point is that the conspiracy theorists - whatever stripe they may be - will likely never admit to being wrong.
    After time has passed and things returned to normal, those saying Covid was overblown or outright fabricated will point at things and say they were right all along, and those who claimed it's all part of an elaborate conspiracy to ruin the world will either say that step one is complete, and we must be ever vigilant for step two, or that it's only through their own valiant efforts we aren't living in a dystopian hellscape.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's required trait for all conspiracy theorists, nothing new.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

I admit, I used to love conspiracy theories. I'd read them and enjoy the RL fanfic they presented.

Unfortunately, current batch of conspiracy theorists completely ruined the enjoyment for me.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    What frustrates me most at this point is that the conspiracy theorists - whatever stripe they may be - will likely never admit to being wrong.
    After time has passed and things returned to normal, those saying Covid was overblown or outright fabricated will point at things and say they were right all along, and those who claimed it's all part of an elaborate conspiracy to ruin the world will either say that step one is complete, and we must be ever vigilant for step two, or that it's only through their own valiant efforts we aren't living in a dystopian hellscape.
    One thing I do hope is that no matter what they tell themselves, anti-vaxxers are going to lose a lot of public credibility over this as the months and years tick by, the "long term effects" never materialise and the "depopulation" never happens.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azuresun View Post
    One thing I do hope is that no matter what they tell themselves, anti-vaxxers are going to lose a lot of public credibility over this as the months and years tick by, the "long term effects" never materialise and the "depopulation" never happens.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but if this didn't discourage them over the last 230 years, then nothing will.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sigako View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but if this didn't discourage them over the last 230 years, then nothing will.
    Not sure how you got that from what I said? I was talking about how they're regarded in the wider world.

8. - Top - End - #338

They'll die down a bit and then come back, probably within a decade. The reasoning will change, everything else about them will stay the same.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    They'll die down a bit and then come back, probably within a decade. The reasoning will change, everything else about them will stay the same.
    Since the vaccines don't have any mercury in them ... or any significant allergens, it's hard to attack it for that.

They've recorded a mere 10 in over 4 million first dosages.

The tracking microchip thing is probably the silliest one, while the crazier one was to get people sick down the line...

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Speaking of vaccines, Part 2 of My Moderna COVID Vaccine Saga is coming tomorrow. Stay tuned.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Speaking of vaccines, Part 2 of My Moderna COVID Vaccine Saga is coming tomorrow. Stay tuned.
    Remember, it'll probably start within 12 hours of injection. Wish you luck, and keep some cooling stuff at hand. And maybe a nice ibuprofen.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Remember, it'll probably start within 12 hours of injection. Wish you luck, and keep some cooling stuff at hand. And maybe a nice ibuprofen.
    Ok. Why a Ibuprofen?

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

frown Re: This year we kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    I admit, I used to love conspiracy theories. I'd read them and enjoy the RL fanfic they presented.

Unfortunately, current batch of conspiracy theorists completely ruined the enjoyment for me.
    You and me both
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

14. - Top - End - #344
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Since the vaccines don't have any mercury in them ... or any significant allergens, it's hard to attack it for that.

They've recorded a mere 10 in over 4 million first dosages.
    No, they'll just attack it for having nanomachines, or gibbon cells, or cells from aborted foetuses, or....

One tactic they like to use is to allude to "Nobody knows what the ingredients are or how they work!" I just drop this link.

The tracking microchip thing is probably the silliest one, while the crazier one was to get people sick down the line...
    One thing I quite like doing when someone brings up the microchip thing is to link an image of a vaccine syringe vs the one vets use to put chips in cats and dogs. Then they usually start wibbling on about nanomachines, then I can just link them to the trailer for the Vin Diesel movie Bloodshot and say that doesn't sound so bad.

I've found the way to keep your sanity is to never argue with the anti-vaxxers themselves, else the old adage about arguing with idiots applies. Rather, aim every debunk at the undecided people they're trying to decieve.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure how you got that from what I said? I was talking about how they're regarded in the wider world.
    Well, first vaccine was invented by Jenner in 1796, and anti-vaxxers were hysterical ever since. And the fact is that they still have credibility. They made an outcry about smallpox (it's a miracle we managed to eradicate it), polio (didn't manage), whatever. I guess, coronavirus will change nothing.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh, you know this old ritual when you burn a scarecrow symbolyzing the winter? In Slavic cultures it's called Maslenitsa, same as the holiday name, dunno about other, I think, something about witches.
    So, anyway, in our city this year some people decided to lump Covid and winter characters together. And honestly, I really can share the sentiment.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Ok. Why a Ibuprofen?
    Just in case your fever goes like mine and reaches the 103F range. Trust me, you'll want the ibuprofen. Plus, the aching.

No, they'll just attack it for having nanomachines, or gibbon cells, or cells from aborted foetuses, or....
    Yeah, but you can point out that that wasn't a concern in any of the previous vaccines they mentioned ... despite those vaccines having it ... and only became an issue when they couldn't find any of the other stuff they were yelling about.

And, yeah, I know the folks deep into it won't be persuaded. Just to keep the stupidity from spreading.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Just in case your fever goes like mine and reaches the 103F range. Trust me, you'll want the ibuprofen. Plus, the aching.
    Ok. Thank you for telling me about the Ibuprofen. So anyway, last night I dream I took the second COVID vaccine, I gain superpowers like Superman.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If those nanomachines are going to attack my fat cells and make me loose all those corona kilo's (and a few more beyond that), I would say, bring them on.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    If those nanomachines are going to attack my fat cells and make me loose all those corona kilo's (and a few more beyond that), I would say, bring them on.
    Heck, that might actually get more people to take the vaccine. Lose weight without exercise or effort?

"You mean I can be shaped like (the 65 kilo) Sihnfahl without having to exercise like they do?"

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

I enjoy the small things. Like being told by the same person that scientists could not be able to create the vaccine in such short time and that scientists already created nanomachines that can control my mind.

Damn, I would pay for nanomachines that would modify my brain to be able to keep exercising and to get 16h of sleep out of the 6 that I get due to kids.

@Sigako: there are still people soing it around here too. We call her Morena (the pagan godess of winter and death).
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Yeah, but you can point out that that wasn't a concern in any of the previous vaccines they mentioned ... despite those vaccines having it ... and only became an issue when they couldn't find any of the other stuff they were yelling about.
    Ah, but this isn't a vaccine*, it's an experimental gene-altering** therapy!

* It was, in fact, a vaccine.

** If Pfizer or Moderna had this revolutionary technology, they'd be raking in far more money if they were using it to cure hereditary disorders.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    @Sigako: there are still people soing it around here too. We call her Morena (the pagan godess of winter and death).
    Yup, and you're Slavic. In European Russia she was also called Marena, Marzhanna, Morana and Mara (and I think she's related to celtic Morrigan, but I'm pulling that out of my rear hatch). Asian Russia doesn't count, because all Slavic influences here are imported, and natives have entirely different culture.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

** If Pfizer or Moderna had this revolutionary technology, they'd be raking in far more money if they were using it to cure hereditary disorders.
    They'd be raking mountains of money on everything. This is one of the least efficient schemes to do anything with such hypothetical tech.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

They'd be raking mountains of money on everything. This is one of the least efficient schemes to do anything with such hypothetical tech.
    But that's why they're withholding the cure for cancer and other genetic diseases! They make too much money treating, rather than curing, them!

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

Incidentally, my, well, not friends, but we studied together, are working on different cancer treatments. They would kill for such a successfull technology, not even for money, but to stop this tedium with tumorous rats.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well I got my second COVID vaccine and the only side effect was the sore arm but other than that I feel great.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

but to stop this tedium with tumorous rats.
    I bet the rats are well fed up with the tedious scientists too.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well I got my second COVID vaccine and the only side effect was the sore arm but other than that I feel great.
    Wait until tomorrow. Then the fun might begin to start.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I bet the rats are well fed up with the tedious scientists too.
    And all the injections. Rats unite - Not In My Heinie!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

And all the injections. Rats unite - Not In My Heinie!
    They got my vote. I can't stand needles. This whole vaccination business isn't exactly something I look forwards to.

As I like to tell people, I have no opposition to vaccine. Just the needle. I'm an anti-needler.