A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: This year we kill it: Corona Virus Thread Mark II

Anyone can promise ludicrous money on the internet, following through is the hard part. This could indeed just be some random kooks.

If it's any comfort, for the UK, it's unlikely to matter, as they're practically immune as it currently stands. The seven day average death count for them is down to...6. And as deaths normally are a lagging indicator behind infections, we can expect that to continue to drop. So a bit of misinformation more or less at this point is pretty unlikely to matter.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    After my second Pfizer shot, I had some soreness in the shoulder, but overall slightly less side effects than the first shot. If I had been in a clinical trial, I would have assumed I was in the control group. Age 59, if that matters.
    My shoulder froze for two days and I had a high fever that then broke and all is well. My second shot was Saturday, I'm completely over it except an ache in my shoulder now on Thursday.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Looks like we've got a bad actor

I can only assume from this that someone is willfully trying to get Europeans killed. You can read the article for ideas as to who this might be, but forum rules prohibit such speculation. But I don't believe the rules prevent me from acknowledging the fact that anti-vax is not just a random collection of kooks on the internet; it is a sophisticated propaganda effort , and our gullible friends are victims thereof.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Given the things that people like Michael Yeadon and Luc Montagnier have been spouting - which, in the former's case, are a complete 180 from his views at the beginning of the pandemic - I've suspected this to be the case for a while.
    It sure seems like people with good-sounding, but ultimately unconvincing credentials are looking to cash in, either on their own or by selling out to a third party.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Only in America would we incentivize vaccines by giving away free guns in a lottery.

'MERICA, heck yeah!

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Only in America would we incentivize vaccines by giving away free guns in a lottery.

'MERICA, heck yeah!

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    That may be the only really legitimate "vaccines could kill people" thing I've seen. Someone go nuts with their winnings and it ends up a net loss in people saved.

MURICA indeed.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-06-03 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Scrubbed
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Maryland has a lottery for those who got vaxxed, 40k or so if your name gets pulled. Less after taxes, but still, that's a pretty good day.

There appears to be some renewed controversy over the cause of it. A large amount of leaked emails has provided some evidence in favor of a possible lab leak scenario, as well as the virus being potentially engineered. I don't have enough biology knowledge to be able to provide any direct evidence on this, but watching for further information may prove interesting, and we may see some adjustment to the currently probable origin in terms of scientific consensus.

Per Newsweek, both China and US Stratcom publicly advocated preparing for nuclear war as of...this morning. Not linking primary sources for either of the above as they both contain a lot of politics that I'm tryin' to avoid by sticking to the strictly factual. I was hopin' this whole mess was over and everything would be going back to normal soon enough, but 2021 continues to be interesting.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2021-06-03 at 10:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Maryland has a lottery for those who got vaxxed, 40k or so if your name gets pulled. Less after taxes, but still, that's a pretty good day.

There appears to be some renewed controversy over the cause of it. A large amount of leaked emails has provided some evidence in favor of a possible lab leak scenario, as well as the virus being potentially engineered. I don't have enough biology knowledge to be able to provide any direct evidence on this, but watching for further information may prove interesting, and we may see some adjustment to the currently probable origin in terms of scientific consensus.

Per Newsweek, both China and US Stratcom publicly advocated preparing for nuclear war as of...this morning. Not linking primary sources for either of the above as they both contain a lot of politics that I'm tryin' to avoid by sticking to the strictly factual. I was hopin' this whole mess was over and everything would be going back to normal soon enough, but 2021 continues to be interesting.
    Dunno about China, but I'm not exactly surprised that Stratcom thinks the one thing the US really has to do in the coming years is give more money to Stratcom . I did some time on both the air and joint staffs as a contractor, once upon a time.

Meanwhile, Annheuser-Bush offers free "beer" if every American is vaccinated by July 4th.

I put beer in quotes because, c'mon, we're talking Budweiser here. Budweiser is "beer" in the same way Rincewind is a wizard or zero is a number. You have to have something at the bottom of the list to serve as a foundation that everything else is better than.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2021-06-03 at 11:27 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It may be pretend beer, but it's still probably going to be enough to convince a bunch of the college kids and rednecks in my area who were otherwise apathetic.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Budweiser is "beer" in the same way Rincewind is a wizard or zero is a number.
    However, Rincewind is a strong wizard.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Seems like something for a separate thread, but it fits with my joke prophecy that until 2030, every year will be worse than the last. If those two fight a nuclear war I'm sure my house won't get nuked, but as I live in Jerusalem, things will somehow get interesting regardless.

And some corona stats from Israel: in the first of June 25476 were tested, 35 out of which tested positive. Over 5 million got the second dose, there were talks about vaccinating teenagers but I'm not sure how much it was done and personally I'm against it.
    You're allowed to be outside without a mask, within closed spaces you still have to put masks, but I think people only care about it in public transit. I heard something about officially lifting some limitations (unofficially nobody cares about the rules), but with other stuff going on, it's no longer front page news.
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally got my first shot confirmation date for the 17th.

Thankfully even though PEI's vaccine rollout has been... less then stellar IMO, we've actually done well with keeping the C19 in check.

13. - Top - End - #553

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    Thankfully even though PEI's vaccine rollout has been... less then stellar IMO, we've actually done well with keeping the C19 in check.
    I guess if they close the bridge, and turn away the ferries, they can keep out a lot.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I guess if they close the bridge, and turn away the ferries, they can keep out a lot.
    like... 205 cases, 0 deaths in our massive 160k population province since the pandemic started.

low pop density, strict travel restrictions, unique geographic situations and a healthy dose of paranoia causing us to largely follow the health guidelines is what's saving our collective behinds.

15. - Top - End - #555

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    However, Rincewind is a strong wizard.
    How so? As I recall he had exactly one spell. Admittedly, it was a doozy, but he couldn't cast anything else while it was in his mind. Although I acknowledge he's probably a gold medalist in the wizard version of track and field, since he is very very good at getting away from trouble in a hurry.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

How so? As I recall he had exactly one spell. Admittedly, it was a doozy, but he couldn't cast anything else while it was in his mind. Although I acknowledge he's probably a gold medalist in the wizard version of track and field, since he is very very good at getting away from trouble in a hurry.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    In fairness, we must acknowledge that of the other wizards we see, the strongest part of most of them is the stomach.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Stuff has changed since then - magic in the later books doesn't work very much like it did in the earlier books - but if memory serves the explanation given was that spells were, in some way, sapient/sort of alive in their own right, and Rincewind having one of the Great Spells chilling in his head scared the crud out of every other spell - none of them would room with the big one. And of course you have to be a potentially very great wizard indeed to be able to hold and cast such a major spell!

(IIRC Rincewind later on is actually just a really terrible wizard - he has the potential for magic, which is what lets him be called a wizard, but he has no real capability to cast anything.)

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

How so? As I recall he had exactly one spell. Admittedly, it was a doozy, but he couldn't cast anything else while it was in his mind.
    Because all other spells were scared off by that one spell.

Mind you, this was in The Light Fantastic, he probably declined somewhat thereafter.

<edit> ninja'd
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-06-04 at 04:19 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Colossus in the Playground

It was a bit of a retcon, actually, I think. In the first few books, once the big spell was gone, he was more or less able to cast magic normally, though with not very much training. He still casts a spell or two and loves it.

In later books, fans are used to Rincewind being a useless wizard and like him for it, so it's just quietly swept under the carpet and he's just a bad wizard.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Meanwhile back in coronavirus news....we are in countdown to "no more indoor masks" where I am. As if it may actually go off. Now it has largly been acknowledged in the breach in some places (bars especially) for a while now but is going to be interesting to see how society reacts. Will holdouts try and shame/guilt others for not keeping on wearing masks after the guidelines drop etc.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Will holdouts try and shame/guilt others for not keeping on wearing masks after the guidelines drop etc.
    Only the outliers, I think. Hard to shame people when Fauci and the CDC say that if you're fully vaccinated, it's fine to go maskless because the chances of you being a carrier are low to nil, and your chances of getting seriously sick is also low.

And unless you KNOW they're not vaccinated, you're just going to have to trust that they are. Confronting someone you don't know for doing something Fauci and the CDC say is okay is a rather rude move, IMO.

I and some other folks in my circle don't care as much anymore since we're fully vaccinated and have provably been exposed multiple times, for extended periods of time, to someone who was infected.

Namely, a coworker of ours who decided not to get vaccinated because he was young (under 25), thought he was in good health, and there haven't been a lot of cases in our area (he thought).

He's since been out of work for 2 weeks. May still end up another week laid up, cause it sounds like he has a secondary infection, probably pneumonia, and may need to swallow the pink melted bubblegum.

Haven't had so much as a sniffle, a temperature outside my norm, or any other health issues other than my normal ones for being middle aged.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Only the outliers, I think. Hard to shame people when Fauci and the CDC say that if you're fully vaccinated, it's fine to go maskless because the chances of you being a carrier are low to nil, and your chances of getting seriously sick is also low.
    I would have agreed pre-pandemic. I also would have thought that only outliers would be against vaccines or make a huge deal about masks. But we saw how that turned out.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I would have agreed pre-pandemic. I also would have thought that only outliers would be against vaccines or make a huge deal about masks. But we saw how that turned out.
    I suspect that there will be substantial overlap between people who listened to Fauci about putting masks on, and people who listen about taking them off.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I suspect that there will be substantial overlap between people who listened to Fauci about putting masks on, and people who listen about taking them off.
    When SCIENCE! says to put the mask on, what does it say when you don't trust the same person's SCIENCE! when they say you can take it off?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You see y'all seem to be implying that science has anything to do with it. Or that people are making decisions based on such things.
    Mask wearing has become a highly emotional and moral thing now. With some now having holier than thou, self identification with being opposed to anti-maskers, etc. Now I have met these people. I'm now curious how common this variety of madness is and if social pressures will be able to abate it in a short amount of time.

popcorn and paracetamol will be needed.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Whatever you decide, (as a scientist) I'm not a fan of this interpretation of science as 'take instructions from someone with a degree'.

Thinking scientifically involves evaluating evidence to determine what is most likely to be true, and then making decisions based on that determination. And that can involve trusting the expertise of others who can evaluate things more carefully or thoroughly than you can yourself at a particular point in time. It also involves not settling for that level of things, and actively seeking evidence which has the best shot of discriminating between possibilities and also being as clear as possible about holding any currently ambiguous possibilities in consideration simultaneously and weighing those possibilities when trying to make predictions or ask questions.

And even with that, there's still the gap between coming to a best estimate of the truth, and then making the decision about what to do and what to prioritize given that.

If e.g. I determine that all of the available evidence means that wearing a mask now only has a 1 in 1000000 chance of saving someone's life (0.05^2 if both vaxxed * 0.01 CFR * 0.1 exposure rate * 0.5 mask effectiveness vs not = 1.25e-6), there's still a second part of that where I make the decision 'given this tradeoff, should I wear the mask?' (as well as 'given this tradeoff, do I want my community to adopt a standard of wearing masks?'). That's not just a matter of questions of fact 'do masks work?' 'what is the actual benefit?', but also questions of balancing priorities and levels of acceptance of risk.

An instruction combines both reasons and priorities into one thing. It's being unscientific to outright deny evidence that doesn't lead to the conclusion you want to make, but it isn't unscientific to have priorities of risk versus effort that lead to different conclusions of what you should do, or what you want other people to do, given the same best estimate of what is actually true about the benefits and costs of those choices.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Whatever you decide, (as a scientist) I'm not a fan of this interpretation of science as 'take instructions from someone with a degree'.

Thinking scientifically involves evaluating evidence to determine what is most likely to be true, and then making decisions based on that determination. And that can involve trusting the expertise of others who can evaluate things more carefully or thoroughly than you can yourself at a particular point in time. It also involves not settling for that level of things, and actively seeking evidence which has the best shot of discriminating between possibilities and also being as clear as possible about holding any currently ambiguous possibilities in consideration simultaneously and weighing those possibilities when trying to make predictions or ask questions.

And even with that, there's still the gap between coming to a best estimate of the truth, and then making the decision about what to do and what to prioritize given that.

If e.g. I determine that all of the available evidence means that wearing a mask now only has a 1 in 1000000 chance of saving someone's life (0.05^2 if both vaxxed * 0.01 CFR * 0.1 exposure rate * 0.5 mask effectiveness vs not = 1.25e-6), there's still a second part of that where I make the decision 'given this tradeoff, should I wear the mask?' (as well as 'given this tradeoff, do I want my community to adopt a standard of wearing masks?'). That's not just a matter of questions of fact 'do masks work?' 'what is the actual benefit?', but also questions of balancing priorities and levels of acceptance of risk.

An instruction combines both reasons and priorities into one thing. It's being unscientific to outright deny evidence that doesn't lead to the conclusion you want to make, but it isn't unscientific to have priorities of risk versus effort that lead to different conclusions of what you should do, or what you want other people to do, given the same best estimate of what is actually true about the benefits and costs of those choices.
    This exactly.
    Public health officials give advice on public health, not personal health.

At the end of the first wave, my province was reopening and essentially my whole family tried to get me to do whatever new things we were allowed to do. I have a serious medical condition that drastically decreases lung function, and so I declined. My family thought I was being a hypocrite, since I followed the advice of our local public health board when they suggested social distancing, but not when they said we could reopen. What they simply couldn't understand was the concept that they were saying the province as a whole could support the additional cases caused by opening up, not that it was "safe" on a personal level to socialize in groups.

Likewise, Fauci's declaration that the vaccinated population need not wear masks is simply a statement that the US, as a whole, can handle the additional stress - however large or small that may be. It is not a statement that a vaccinated person wearing a mask has no reduced chance of spreading the disease - and if you think the additional small reduction in risk is worth the inconvenience of wearing a mask, you're not "wrong" to do so.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

28. - Top - End - #568

MindFlayer

Right now, I'm going with wearing my mask as a matter of courtesy if a store still has a sign requesting masks. And I'm keeping my distance from people in general as a matter of habit.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Not got any strong feelings either way on masks.

But would note they weren't uncommon amongst some groups previously either. Because covid isn't the only transmissible disease around. It's like we forget there's still seasonal flues. You might want to wear one to reduce your exposure to pollen or because it makes you feel better about the air-quality, or lack thereof.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Not got any strong feelings either way on masks.

But would note they weren't uncommon amongst some groups previously either. Because covid isn't the only transmissible disease around. It's like we forget there's still seasonal flues. You might want to wear one to reduce your exposure to pollen or because it makes you feel better about the air-quality, or lack thereof.
    I agree. I saw them quite often in airports and on airplanes, especially in Asia, mostly after the SARS epidemic in 2003. Mostly people who have a cough who wear them to avoid infecting others. I also know we sometimes laughed at those people wearing masks, but now... not so much.

I also might wear a mask the coming years while traveling on a plane, even if it's not mandatory, just in case.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."