Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 94
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Othokent stares at Thorrig, having not thought his idle comment would get such a response. "Personally I have found that fish is most delicious when it's still wriggling," he comments before walking over to the door the derro had fled through, looking through it to see if he could find where the smaller humanoid had disappeared to, "None of this cooking or preparing nonsense; just going for a swim and catching one in my jaws is enough for me!"

    He gives the dead and dying derro one last look before snorting. "Once we are done here I might need to do just that to get the taste of derro out of my mouth. Not as bad as zombies, but still not good."

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    "Ugh. Zombies. Nasty buggers, without a doubt." Confidence shakes his head in disgust as he flips over a Derro corpse and starts feeling up its pockets. "Though believe it or not, I actually once met a zombie that could not only talk, but could sing as well! Darndest thing, really. See, I'd been hired to inspect a disturbance in the graveyard of a small village- people were claiming that something was spewing insults at them as they walked by. They figured it was some sort of restless spirit, and called me in to help on account of my... eclectic heritage, shall we say. When I got up there, however, it turned out to be a corpse singing a bawdy refrain, and not half badly either. Sang with a weird accent, too- Tehtyrian, if I had to guess. No idea what made him rise from the grave, but he was a sight more well-mannered than any zombie I've seen since." He shakes his head. "Mind you, I'd have to agree with our cake baker here- if you bring these ones back to life, I'd hazard a guess that they won't be singing. Really, probably better to let the dead rest in peace." As he says this, he roughly drops the corpse he'd been examining and moves on to the next one.
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.


  3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    The room becomes comfortably quiet without the agitation of combat and the party can almost sit down and relax. While Mirasanna and Thorrig recover their breath, the rest of the party is quick to investigate the Weasel Bandís mess hall and loot the enemies for salvageable goods.

    Confidence refills his bolt case with some of the derroís bolts.

    Rummaging through the chests and barrels, nothing of great importance is found. Itís mostly fish bones, jars of fish guts, broken plates and dirty mugs. Thereís a large bottle of the drink the derros were having, but it doesnít seem safe to drink and smells like swamp water.

    The corner of the room has chains and manacles. Maybe the derro held an occasional prisoner? They have not been used recently.

    The wizard lizard, Othokent, discovers that one of the chests is trapped!
    There is some kind of mechanical contraption that activates when the lid is opened.
    It is possible to disarm with thieveís or tinkererís tools, but there is of course a risk of accidentally triggering the trap.

    What do you do?

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Irael picked up one of the light crossbows and two of the quivers. He had spend way more arrows than expected.
    "We shouldn't risk hurting ourselves opening the chest if we can avoid it. Maybe with the hooked spear, we can break the hinges without getting near it.
    In any case, we can't risk waiting too long to pursue. They could try to relocate their haul - or worse, prepare a trap for us."

    Looking at his hurt mates he added: "I'll take the lead. We still have some cake left, you might want to share it among the hurt."

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    "Now hold on a second. You're right that we can't take too long, but you're dealing with a master trapsmith here. I can have that chest safe to open in no time." And with that, Confidence strolls over to the chest, pulls out his Thieves' Tools, and gets to work.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thieves' Tools check: (1d20+5)[24]
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.


  6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    The crafty tiefling, Confidence, disarms the trap easily! There was a spring ready to fire an arrow at any less skilled thief.

    Inside the chest, in the middle of a lot of useless junk, he finds two items worth of notice. A small flask containing a concoction that resembles a potion of healing, but you never know for sure.. And a pouch containing a strange kind of soot or dust.

    Spoiler: Othokent
    Show
    Othokentís Arcana check: The liquid in the flask is off-putting. It is most definitely *not* a healing potion.


    What do you do?

    Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    Loot:
    37 cp, 4 sp, 3 gp
    5x small sized leather armors
    4x hooked spears
    1x light crossbows
    1x cases for crossbow bolts
    9x crossbow bolts
    Chains (10ft.)
    Manacles
    assorted silver cutlery (probably stolen)
    playing cards
    1 mysterious potion
    1 bag of mysterious soot

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Thorrig - Dwarf Cleric

    Thorrig soon seems to be feeling a little better. His wounds weren't completely healed, but his chances of taking a crossbow bolt ass well placed as the last one weren't too good. "Alright, I'm ready to move. I can always cast a healing spell if Mira or I get hit again, or eat some more of that delicious pie. I need to get the recipe..."

    He moves closer to the opposite door, "And just throw that stuff in your bag for now, Confidence. I don't want to give the derro any more time to prepare for us. If it's something magic, chances are I can identify it given the time and materials. Gond gives me that gift."

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Opening the door, the party climbs down a few steps and enters a large room that has sunk into the swampy terrain. Most of the room is flooded and the walls have collapsed in some sections.

    Across the room, there is a bridge leading to the next chamber.
    An array of poorly constructed rope bridges lead from the stable sections of the floor to the next.

    Swiming in the dark waters, two angry looking crocodiles greet you with red eyes and razor sharp teeth, ready to bite!

    Itís Confidenceís turn!

    Spoiler: Combat Round 1 - Itís Confidenceís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 -
    Mirasanna 17 -
    Crocodile #2 10 -
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 -
    Othokent 2 -
    Crocodile #1 2 -


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Mirasanna - Human Artificer

    Mirasanna moved over to check on Thorrig, looking relieved to see her friend back on his feet. Her smile faltered slightly at his suggestion they wait to examine the recovered objects, though after a hesitant moment she nodded. "I guess studying them in a lab environment would be wiser."

    ~~~~

    As they entered the next room the young artificer wrinkled her nose at the dank smell - then let out a gasp as she noticed the hungry looking archosaurs.

    "Maybe a warning shot to the snout will chase it off?" Mirasanna suggested to her fellows, raising her dragon pistol which spat forth a fiery bolt at the nearest reptile.
    Last edited by RossN; 2021-01-22 at 02:10 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    "I can get behind that," says Confidence as he pulls his shortbow back. "I'm of the opinion that anything with that many teeth should either be killed or given at least twenty feet of space."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack on crocodile #2: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.


  11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    ďGRRRWW!!Ē The crocodile splashes the water violently when hit by Mirasannaís dragon pistol!

    Confidence shoots a bolt, but misses. The projectile sinks in the swampy waters.

    Croc #2 swims closer to the party and dives under a giant lily pad. It is trying to hide!

    Spoiler: Combat Round 1 - Itís Dr. Iraelís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 -
    Mirasanna 17 -
    Crocodile #2 10 hiding
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 -
    Othokent 2 -
    Crocodile #1 2 hurt


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show
    Last edited by Wooloo; 2021-01-23 at 05:54 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Irael aimed the looted Crossbow at crocodile clearly visible in the water

    Spoiler
    Show


    Shooting Crossbow

    (1d20)[18]+6, damage (1d8)[8]+4



    "Take that, you ecologically displaced apex predator!"
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-01-23 at 06:29 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Using his newly acquired light crossbow, Dr.Irael fires a precise bolt, hitting the side of the crocodile! The beast flais about agrily and is ready to bite the heroes!

    Spoiler: Combat Round 1 - Itís Thorrigís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 already went
    Mirasanna 17 already went
    Crocodile #2 10 hiding
    Dr. Irael 8 already went
    Thorrig 5 -
    Othokent 2 -
    Crocodile #1 2 severely wounded


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Thorrig - Dwarf Cleric

    Thorrig bows his head, muttering a quiet prayer. Beyond belief, a beam of holy light appears from the ceiling of the chamber they were in, illuminating the visible crocodile with burning radiance. With that done, Thorrig dodges between the rest of the party members making his way back up into the previous room. "Be right back, going to see if I can get something to help."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Cast Sacred Flame at croc 1. It needs a reflex save (cover doesn't help) DC 13. If he fails, he takes radiant damage - (1d8)[4].
    Then move back upstairs to grab the fish from the last room. He intends to grab the fish and come back as quickly as he can, which I know might take some time, so just let me know when gets back and whether he still has actions at that point. His move is 25.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2021-01-24 at 04:01 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Othokent lets out a bark of laughter at Confidence's comment, or at least what might be called laughter if you'd never heard it before. "I shall remember that if you ever need my help again!" He replies, showing off his own (numerous and pointy) teeth as he makes a gesture, a mote of flame appearing before him before he hurls it at the first crocodile.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Firebolt attack: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage if hit: (1d10)[6]

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    The crocodile is a large target and easy to hit, but perhaps Othokent didnít make the flames hot enough or the swampy water dampered the spell.. The beast is unfazed by the magic attack!

    Then, the crocodile flais its large tail, propelling itself towards the group of adventures...
    With a sudden move, it dives underwater trying to hide!

    Spoiler: Combat Round 2 - Itís Confidenceís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 already went
    Mirasanna 17 -
    Crocodile #2 10 hiding
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 -
    Othokent 2 -
    Crocodile #1 2 hiding, severely wounded


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show
    Last edited by Wooloo; 2021-01-27 at 06:41 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Confidence looks over at Othokent and gives him a laugh in turn (at least, he hopes that noise was a laugh, and not a declaration of intent). "Apologies, friend. I suppose that's what I get for not considering my words before I speak! Now where did you go... Gotcha!" He mutters under his breath as he looses a shot at the heavily injured crocodile, hoping to finish it off. "Still, you seem like the type who would appreciate the space, all things considered."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attacking the heavily injured croc: (1d20+5)[16], damage: (1d6+3)[8].
    Last edited by The Outsider; 2021-01-26 at 05:50 PM.
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.


  18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    ďGRRWW--!!Ē A crossbow bolt fired by the tiefling Confidence hits the crocodile in the eye! The beast looks nearly dead!

    Spoiler: Combat Round 2 - Itís Mirasannaís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 already went
    Mirasanna 17 -
    Crocodile #2 10 hiding
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 -
    Othokent 2 -
    Crocodile #1 2 hiding, nearly dead


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Mirasanna - Human Artificer

    Mirasanna hefted her dragon pistol but as she was about to fire the human realised she had no idea where the crocodile had vanished to. "Uh... did it swim off?"

    She was just lowering her pistol when she saw what she thought was a disturbance in the water and fired the enchanted weapon at it, hoping it would strike home and that she hadn't just barbequed an unlucky rat.
    Last edited by RossN; 2021-01-27 at 07:19 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    As the young artificer struggles to find a target, Crocodile#2 swims closer to the party, still trying to remain hidden!

    Spoiler: stealthy croc
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+2)[9] -> perception check DC for this foe.


    Spoiler: Combat Round 2 - Itís Dr.Iraelís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 already went
    Mirasanna 17 -
    Crocodile #2 10 hiding
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 getting the fish
    Othokent 2 -
    Crocodile #1 2 hiding, nearly dead


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Unable to spot the crocodile within the swampy water, Othokent fires off a bolt of flame where he thinks it might be.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Fire Bolt Attack with disadvantage:
    (1d20+6)[7]
    (1d20+6)[14]

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Irael had taken a moment to identify the spot where the other crocodile was lurking now and aimed another bolt.

    Spoiler
    Show


    (1d20)[17]+6, damage (1d8)[7]+4, if crit(1d8)[2]



    A satisfying smack indicated to the others where the croc was hiding.
    "Keep firing - at some time it will have to realize that tangling with us is more pain than gain. As close as the croc was, he didn't bother to reload but instead let the crossbow fall into its sling and drew one of his short swords.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-01-28 at 11:30 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    The wizard lizard misses his magic attack, but the savvy ranger, Dr. Irael, hits the mark!
    The beast flails angrily and is now visible to all. It seems to be severely wounded.

    Thorrig returns holding the enormous fish from the other room!

    Spoiler: Combat Round 3 - Itís Confidenceís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 -
    Mirasanna 17 -
    Crocodile #2 10 severely wounded
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 holding a fish
    Othokent 2 -


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Confidence lets out a smirk as he takes aim at the thrashing reptile. "You'd think they would have realized that after the first few hits. Not the brightest beasts, are they?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attacking Croc #2: (1d20+5)[16]; damage: (1d6+3)[6]
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.


  25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Another bolt hits the swamp beast! It is severely wounded!

    Spoiler: Combat Round 3 - Itís Mirasannaís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 -
    Mirasanna 17 -
    Crocodile #2 10 nearly dead
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 holding a fish
    Othokent 2 -


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Mirasanna - Human Artificer

    Mirasanna loaded another red alchemical mix into her dragon pistol aimed her weapon at the remaining crocodile and fired: "These overgrown newts don't know when to run, do they?" She furrowed her brow "Or do I mean swim?"

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack with 'dragon pistol' (Firebolt): (1d20+5)[11]

    Damage: (1d10)[8]

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    Mirasanna almost hits the swamp dwelling creature, but misses by an inch!

    Angry and battered, the crocodile will try to bite Dr. Irael!
    But the agile investigator dodges the powerful bite! He is safe.. for now!

    Spoiler: Bite attack!
    Show
    Crocodile bite attack against Dr. Irael (1d20+4)[15], damage (1d10+2)[8] piercing


    Spoiler: Combat Round 3 - Itís Dr. Iraelís turn
    Show
    Inspiration Reminder:
    Dr. Irael has 1 inspiration point.
    Character Initiative Conditions
    Confidence 19 already went
    Mirasanna 17 already went
    Crocodile #2 10 nearly dead
    Dr. Irael 8 -
    Thorrig 5 holding a fish
    Othokent 2 -


    Spoiler: updated map
    Show
    Last edited by Wooloo; 2021-02-01 at 07:54 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    It took Irael all his concentration to avoid getting his leg bitten off and still the croc managed to shatter a few links from his regulation armor.
    "I'll have to apologize to my captain for complaining about having to wear this armor to an investigation.
    Now begone you overlively handbag!"


    Spoiler
    Show


    (1d20)[10]+6, damage (1d6)[3]+4, if crit (1d6)[6]

    bonus action attack: (1d20)[5]+6, damage (1d6)[5], if crit (1d6)[1]



    With that, Irael stabbed the beast into its open maw.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-02-01 at 09:39 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    With a precise blow, Dr. Irael finishes the menacing swamp beast!
    The crocodile falls back into the water with a loud splash and perishes.

    Combat is over.

    Maybe Thorrig will get upset that he ran all the way back to grab the fish, but at least no one got hurt this time.

    The rope bridges are easily enough to traverse without hungry beasts biting at your ankles and soon the party crosses to the following chamber..

    -----------------

    The Following Chamber!!!

    The party arrives in a large room that probably used to be the keeps temple or praying room. Like the previous chamber, this room is mostly flooded. But a few stone steps remain above the water level.

    In the center of the room, there is an altar or some similar religious pedestal. A humanoid creature stands near it, speaking to itself in a deep eerie voice that sends jolts of goosebumps down your spine.

    "...Cake ...Birthday cake ...Hmm, yes ...Cake ...Iíll trade my soul for a piece of ...Cake"

    The party also hears panting sounds. The derro that fled from combat is likely to be hiding around a corner in this room. Do you think you can spot him?

    Spoiler: the map!
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - The Princess Cake [D&D5e]

    "Stop there, miscreant. You are under arrest on suspicion of aggravated cakenapping. Come quietly and no-one needs to get hurt... besides those we had to hurt to get here, that is."

    Irael called out to the figure at the altar, once more pointing the crossbow at the potential target.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •