New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Ngilop's campaign IC

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    what is "optimum range"? Since that will affect distance penalties. Does it mean when they're close enough that there are no distance penalties?
    Sorry for not being clear. A sling stone used with the Magic Stones spell has a range increment of 50', so that is optimum range, with no penalties, right? And Alaina will take care not to hit anyone charging, so she will pick her target accordingly.
    Act well before thinking!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post
    Sorry for not being clear. A sling stone used with the Magic Stones spell has a range increment of 50', so that is optimum range, with no penalties, right? And Alaina will take care not to hit anyone charging, so she will pick her target accordingly.
    ok; this gets a bit confusing though, as it means the action is delayed for however many rounds it will be until they've actually closed the distance. So that will be your readied action until we get to that round.

So at any rate, now it's the monsters turn, they all move toward the party as they can; the skeletons moving quite a bit further than the zombies. The closest enemies are 220' away from the bulk of the party (since the horse archer moved closer to shoot).
    Assuming the party stands where it is, the skeletal deer will reach them on round 4.

Unless anyone's doing anything fancy or different, we can directly roll 2 rounds of horse archers fire then get to the round 4 fightin'.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Leoroar places himself in front of Alaina in a defensive posture, making himself a wall between her and whatever enemies wished to cause her harm. "Tarik be careful we don't want to split up and get surrounded. Their biggest strength is their numbers." the paladin calls out not wanting to leave Alaina alone undefended should one of the enemies try and walk past Tarik.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Unless Tarik gets surrounded Leoroar will not leave her side. He knows the value of protecting the person who heals you

Attack roll if any get in range of him (1d20+13)[23] (9+2 from FE, +2 from enemy spirit pouch) Damage (1d8+7)[10] (+2 str,+1 MAgic weapon, +2 FE, +2 Enemy Spirit pouch)

Free action to activate Holy Fury (4 points remaining)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"Save your strength!" Luriel calls out as she lines up another shot. "Let them come, we'll pick them off one by one."

"We'll need you more inside the woods, where we can't shoot as far."

Show
    I say we take advantage of the distance and thin them out beforehand. If they can't get to us they can't hurt us

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarik makes a stance and readies his sword at the first to come his way, making sure his less durable friends are protected

Spoiler: ACTIONS
    Show
    readied attack: (1d20+4)[20] (power attack 5) Damage:(2d6+14)[22]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

So we just need Luriel's bow shots for rounds 2 and 3, and then whatever their action is for round 4 as the foes arrive, then I can process it all.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Luriel urges Springleaf towards the undead, loosing arrows on the way. When they are close enough, she turns Springleaf around, and keeps them at a healthy distance, while peppering them with arrows.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Springleaf
    Will move towards the undead in round 2 (with 120 ft/round that'll get Luriel within the composite longbow's 110 ft first range increment), then keep at, say, 80 ft. distance from the closest one.

Luriel
    Each round, 2 attacks at +10/+5, at the closest zombie.
    Damage: 1d8 + 2 (Composite) + 2 (Favored Enemy (Undead)).
    Serpentstongue arrows ignore zombie DR.

Round 2
    Attack: (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11]

Attack: (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[5]

Round 3
    Attack: (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11]

Attack: (1d20+5)[15]

Round 4
    Attack: (1d20+10)[27]

Attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[7]

Show
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The skeletons are closer than the zombies, because they move faster; and the amount of that gap grows each round. You might not be able to maintain a safe distance from the skeletons while still hitting zombies in the first range increment.
    But I want to move the game along so I'll just let it happen.

Luriel's arrows whittle away at one of the zombies, managing to fell it by the time the skeletons reach the rest of the party. 4 hits in all it took for that zombie deer to fall.

The other undead continue their forward pace, and the skeletal ones break into a charge as they get close.

Tarik strikes one of the skeletal deer down as it raced to him, splintering it with a mighty blow.

Alaina's sling strikes true, wounding one of them as it gets in range, with Leoroar finishing it off as it comes into melee.

The remaining 4 skeletal deer charge into the fray, slashing with their antlers

2 strike at Tarik,
    (1d20+4)[22]
    (1d6+1)[3]

(1d20+4)[12]
    (1d6+1)[6]

One of them inflicts a small gash upon his arm.

and 2 at Leoroar
    (1d20+4)[12]
    (1d6+1)[6]

(1d20+4)[15]
    (1d6+1)[3]

The zombies continue lumbering forward, they are 140' from the party now, with the large zombified bear amidst the zombie deer.

Round 5 begin, parties actions first! (ps remember to include damage types in your actions so I can account for DR)
    Last edited by zlefin; 2021-01-26 at 03:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Standing back, Luriel circles around, keeping her distance while trying to stay within range of the zombies. Two more arrows fly.

Show

Didn't think about the different movement rates, sorry. Maybe going off to the side could offset that?

Springleaf
    Move as needed, to a maximum of 120 ft.

Luriel
    Two attacks (slashing) vs nearest zombie
    Attack: (1d20+10)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[6]

Attack: (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12]

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"Alaina back up, I don't want you getting hurt if one of these vile creatures gains enough intelligence to go attack the one wearing less armor." Leoroar calls out as he takes a step back as the skeletal deer tries to gore him, before dropping down slightly and lifting his shield as it tries to follow up its first attack with its two hooves that land harmlessly against his shield, though the movement does send shockwaves through his arm.

Pushing up with all his strength, Leoroar swings his sword at the opening presented to him as the deer skeleton is momentairly off balance, before following it up with a backhand slash.

Show

In theory I see it playing out as when the deer attacks the second time it goes to smack him with its two front hooves like a real deer, when it does so he braces for the oncoming blow (thus the dropping down slightly) and catches the brunt of the deers weight on the shield (thus why the attack was harmless). And he counterattacks by shoving with his shield (at the deer's body that is already going to be off balance because of being only on two feet at that exact moment) and coming across with a slashing motion from right to left. Followed up with him reversing the direction of the blade and dropping his shield back into its standard place so at all times his body is covered by the shield from the deer's retaliation.

Using 1 Holy Fury point to add +2 to attack and +1d6 damage

First slash (1d20+15)[22] (9+2 from FE, +2 from enemy spirit pouch, +2 Holy Fury) Damage (1d8+7)[13] + (1d6)[4] (Furious Strike) (+2 str,+1 MAgic weapon, +2 FE, +2 Enemy Spirit pouch)

Reverse slash (1d20+10)[23] Damage (1d8+7)[8] + (1d6)[5]

Note: All attacks count as good aligned for the purpose of DR due to Holy Fury being active, Holy Fury points remaining 3, Immune to fear
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2021-01-27 at 09:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alaina

"Let them try!" Alaina shouts as she lets the second enchanted sling bullet fly, aiming at one of the skeletons, moving a few steps to the side if necessary to avoid accidentally hitting the others.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Sling attack: (1d20+8)[23]
    Magic Stone damage: (2d6+2)[5]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarik takes a step and swings at both skeletal deer attack him, hoping to down both with his attack.
    Show
    Attack: (using Steel Wind to get 2 attacks on the 2 deer) 1) (1d20+4)[18] 2) (1d20+4)[12]Damage: 1) (2d6+14)[21] 2)(2d6+14)[23]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Luriel's arrows wither down one of the zombies, it's still moving but injured.

Only one of Tarik's blows strike home, but its fierceness shatters the deer in that one strike.

Leoroar takes down another of the deer with his own strikes, both of which hit.

Auriel's sling stone strikes soundly, smashing skeletal stuff. (hits and does damage)

So now it's just 2 skeletal deer next to the party, while the zombies advance; one zombie moves toward luriel, the one that was hit, while the rest (a bear and 3 zombies) head toward the party, and are now 100' away.

Tarik and Leoroar's afaict are being affected by the skeletons DR, as their weapons are not bludgeoning.

The 2 deer strike thoroughly, with their antlers, and hoofs,
    at Tarik
    (1d20+2)[21]
    (1d6+1)[3]
    (1d20-3)[0]
    (1d4)[1]
    (1d20-3)[-1]
    (1d4)[2]

at Leoroar
    (1d20+2)[10]
    (1d6+1)[2]
    (1d20-3)[10]
    (1d4)[3]
    (1d20-3)[3]
    (1d4)[3]

Tarik takes 3 points of damage, while leoroar is unscathed

round 6, party's actions!
    Last edited by zlefin; 2021-02-02 at 04:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

"Damn these unnatural things," Luriel mutters, urging Springleaf away from the zombie, while peppering the zombie with arrows.

Show

Springleaf
    Move as needed to stay well out of reach.

Luriel
    Two attacks (slashing) vs the zombie.
    Attack: (1d20+10)[29]

Attack: (1d20+5)[16]

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

As another of the undead fall to his blade Leoroar smiles, he lived for moments like this, the raging storm of a battle before the lull of peace that came after he was finished. The look on the faces of the villagers who knew they were safe thanks to his efforts. However these undead were only minor, he had to remember that, and something greater lay within the forest. This was only making it so their journey inside the forest would be easier, it would not however dwindle the numbers of whatever evil lay within by that much sadly.

As the deer goes to gore him Leoroar grabs one of its antlers, trying to get control of its undead body, as he uses his shield to make sure the creatures hooves can not do any damage to him. With his free hand he lifts his longsword high into the sky and brings it slamming down with full force onto the creatures neck, trying to sever it from its undead body, before returning with a chopping motion from the right side, hoping to finish the job.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Overhead chop (1d20+13)[19] (9+2 from FE, +2 from enemy spirit pouch) Damage (Slashing) (1d8+7)[14] (+2 str,+1 Magic weapon, +2 FE, +2 Enemy Spirit pouch)

Right side swing (1d20+8)[25] (+1 Bab, +2 Str, +2 FE, +1 Longsword, +2 Spirit Pouch) Damage (Slashing) (1d8+7)[11] (+2 str,+1 Magic weapon, +2 FE, +2 Enemy Spirit pouch)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarik swings his sword at the deer in front of him doing a quick look back to make sure that Alaina and Luriel are safe.

Show
    Attack:(1d20+4)[19] Damage:(2d6+14)[23]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alaina

Once again, Alaina moves a few steps to make sure she will not hit anyone friendly befor898e attacking a skeleton with her sling.

Spoiler: rolls 'n stuff
    Show

Attack: (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage: (2d6+2)[4]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The remaining skeletons are dispatched, and lie broken upon the ground. (alaina's sling attack wasn't needed to take down the skeletons, you could have it aim for a zombie which might not do much due to the dr, or you could pick another action for last round, in addition to whatever you choose for this round).

Luriel's arrows fell another zombie, and wound the next.

The zombies continue their advance, now 60' from the party; only 3 deer and the zombear behind them remain, though the zombear looks to be a mighty beast (size large).

None of the foes get to strike, so it moves straight to the party's next turn!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarik charges at the zombies, leaping to get close to the bear. He leaps farther than what one would expect and he brings his weapon down powerfully.

Show
    full: charge swift: sudden leap, will try to reach and attack the bear if I can, if not then just swing at the zombie deer.
    Sudden Jump check (1d20+8)[27]
    Tumble: (1d20+3)[20]
    Attack: (1d20+4)[8] Damage:(2d6+14)[19]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

"Alaina be careful, I'm going to support Tarik." Leoroar says behind him to his friend he had been staying back to defend while their were so many enemies, but now that Tarik had charged and most of them were already beaten he figured she would be safer here if he went to help Tarik fight the zombies before they got close enough to her, or surrounded Tarik. And so sword in hand, it ignites once more as he charges the nearest zombie, trying to place himself close to Tarik so that they could flank the bear with their next attacks.

Show

Going off the assumption the bear is in the center and the two deer are on the left and right side of it stopping it from being flanked. With Tarik Charging the bear, Leoroar would charge the left deer hoping to cut it down in one swift attack so that the next turn the two could work together to flank the bear and bring it down while Alaina and Luriel take out the remaining deer with ranged attacks.

Charging Furious Strike Smite Attack (1d20+15)[21] (-5 PA, +3 Charging Smite, +2 Charge Attack, +2 Favored Enemy, +2 Spirit Pouch, +8 Melee attack bonus, +1 Magic Weapon, +2 Furious Strike) Damage (1d8+27)[30] + (1d6)[1] (+1d6 Furious Strike, +2Str, +1 Magic Weapon, +5 Smite, +10 Charging Smite, +5 PA (1 for 1 trade as not Two handed weapon) +2 Favored Enemy, +2 Enemy Spirit Pouch

This is slashing Damage from a good aligned weapon for the purpose of DR.
    Holy Fury Points remaining 2

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alaina

Seeing all skeletons defeated and her friends charging the reaining zombies, Alaina puts her sling away, humming softly until her voice ends in a violent hiss and a small ball of pure flame apears in her hand.
    Then, with a quick motion, she hurls the flames at the zombie on the right, again taking care not to hit any of her friends.

Show
    [roll]
    Alaina casts produce flame and attacks the zombie with her first ball of flame.
    Ranged touch attack (with no range penalty): (1d20+7)[21]
    Fire damage: (1d6+5)[9]
    [/roll]
    Last edited by Simba; 2021-02-17 at 10:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Luriel and Springleaf circle around the zombies, hoping to draw them away from her companions. She looses two more arrows at the closest zombie.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Attack 1: (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage 1: (1d8+4)[12]

Attack 2: (1d20+10)[22]
    Damage 2: (1d8+4)[5]

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarik strike misses the bear, cutting a gouge into the earth instead.

Leoroar's fares better, cleaving one of the zombie deer in half so it lies broken upon the ground.

One of Luriel's arrows strikes true; (shouldn't the second attack be at +5 instead of +10? it hits anyways), the other glances off, deflected by the tough hide.

Alaina' flames scorch one of the deer (that had been hit some by Luriel as well), it still stands but should not last much longer.

So the bear and 2 deers remain.

One deer strikes at Tarik
    (1d20+4)[8]
    (1d6+3)[9]
    but it is easily dodged

The other tries to gore Leoroar
    (1d20+4)[9]
    (1d6+3)[7]
    and misses immensely

And the bear attempts to smash Tarik with its mighty claw
    (1d20+15)[23]
    (1d8+9)[16]
    This one however lands, a powerful blow upon Tarik leaving a marked gash.

It is once again the party's turn, take your actions, and let these foul beasts trouble the land no more!

PS make sure you track damage you take; I'm tracking monster hp, but not the players' hp. I don't see any note on Tarik's sheet about the 6 damage he took in earlier rounds; at least not in the current hp box or anywhere obvious like that.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2021-02-17 at 04:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

The horse-elf duo keeps running circles around the zombies, peppering the deer with arrows.

Spoiler: Rolls & OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    One of Luriel's arrows strikes true; (shouldn't the second attack be at +5 instead of +10? it hits anyways), the other glances off, deflected by the tough hide.
    It should, sorry about that

Attack 1: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage 1: (1d8+4)[8]

Attack 2: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage 2: (1d8+4)[7]
    Last edited by wkwkwkwk1; 2021-02-18 at 08:09 AM.

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

As the deer he is facing falls, Leoroar moves to flank the bear seeing it land a mighty blow against Tarik. Slamming his sword against his shield to make a lot of noise and draw its attention away from his ally. "Overhere you disgusting pile of worm food!" he calls out as he swings his blade at the creature, chanelling his divine powers into his blade. Had he been given more time to prepare for this one he would have used different tactics, however Tarik was in trouble the moment he rushed in and he would not leave his ally alone. He could only trust in Alaina and Luriel to keep the other zombies off of their back while they dealt with the bear.

Spoiler: Holy Fury Smite Attack
    Show

Attack (1d20+17)[30] (-5 PA, +3 Charging Smite, +2 Charge Attack, +2 Favored Enemy, +2 Spirit Pouch, +8 Melee attack bonus, +1 Magic Weapon, +2 Furious Strike, +2 Flanking) Damage (1d8+17)[24] + (1d6)[2] (+1d6 Furious Strike, +2Str, +1 Magic Weapon, +5 Smite, +5 PA (1 for 1 trade as not Two handed weapon) +2 Favored Enemy, +2 Enemy Spirit Pouch

I'm assuming I was in a position like 5ft away from the bear so even though I moved in a way to provide us flanking it was not charge distance, thus no charging smite or Rhino's Rush. And only rolled 1 attack roll as I'm not sure if a 5ft step would have put me into flanking or more like 10ft. to 15ft.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarik staggers a bit from the powerful blow of the zombie bear, grimacing that maybe he bit off more than he can chew. He plants his feet and delivers a powerful upward swing.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[16] (power attack 5) Damage: (2d6+14)[20] Bonecrusher (4d6)[15] fort dc 15 or +10 to confirm crits (but being undead is immune to anyways so..)

Hit Points: 41/63

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alaina

Seeing the others face off with the big dead bear, Alaina aims her second ball of flame the the zombie deer, hoping to keep it off her friends' flank.

Show

Ranged touch attack, no range penalties: (1d20+8)[22]
    fire damage: (1d6+5)[6]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Alaina's flames and one of Luriel's arrows singe and pierce the zombie, but it still stands.

Leoroar's fierce strikes cuts through the huge bear, leaving a gaping wound

Tarik's strike just hits through the creature's thick hide (thanks to the +2 to hit from leoroar moving into flanking position), resulting in a devastating crunch and a rib cage opened up. The bear still moves however!

The bear strikes again at Tarik, trying to smash him into the ground
    (1d20+15)[23]
    (1d8+9)[15]
    another terrible blow!

A fearsome beast indeed, good thing it is being stopped by seasoned warriors rather than happening upon a farmer or woodsman.

The deer continue their assault (neither positions to get flanking bonuses)
    one trying to ram into Tarik
    (1d20+4)[14]
    (1d6+3)[7]

the other into Leoroar
    (1d20+4)[17]
    (1d6+3)[5]

but neither connects!

It is the party's turn once again! go forth and strike down these monstrosities!
    Last edited by zlefin; 2021-02-21 at 07:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alaina

A little frustrated by their enemies' ability to take damage and still stand, Alaina fires her third ball of flame, at the same target, hoping to strike it down at last!

Show

ranged touch attack: (1d20+8)[17]
    fire damage: (1d6+5)[7]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarik feel this bear zombie has got to be close to collapsing, and with a second wind, despite the powerful blows of the creature, brings his sword to bear* one more time.

Show
    Attack:(1d20+4)[24] (power attack 5) Damage: (2d6+14)[21] Mountain hammer: (2d6)[11] +ignores DR

HP: 26/63
    *pun maybe intended....