New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: unOrdinary

1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: unOrdinary

Yeah, Remi attacking Brims is very understandable, even if it isn't the best course of action.

Those thugs show some impressive degree of idiocy though, even for people who test experimental drugs and pay for the privilege.
    No really, how did they think threatening the guy with the ability boosters was a good idea? Nevermind the additional powers they couldn't haveexpected, that he shows up alone should be telling.
    For one he can use the drug himself, the actually good stuff even, and secondly just because his backup isn't visible doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Might just be in hiding and just as boosted to the gills.
    Eh, I probably just think to much. Unlike the thugs.
    Still, the first thing that came to mind are the Pakled from Star Trek.

Also, both Volcan and Brims look like they don't get any sleep.
    Are Authority goons just overworked or is that a side effect of the dark side the various Ability modifications they use.

And of course they not only released those wannabe warlords, they helped them back in power.
    Are the Authorities just doing everything for the EVULZ?
    At least switch out the thugs you're empowering if you need someone building their own fiefdoms in your cities for some ineffable reason*.
    Make it not quite as obvious.

*What even is the endgame here?
    Are the low levels not oppressed enough? Can you turn sheer human misery into a killer coffee sweetener?
    Do you need a excuse to wipe out a few towns when those quasi feudal lords inevitably need to be stomped out when their reach exceeds their grasp? What is this supposed to accomplish?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Saw a phrase in the comments section that sums this up perfectly:

"Her rage is completely understandable, completely justified, completely deserved, and completely counterproductive to this mission."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

That resolved a bit more neutrally than I was expecting. I'm glad to see diplomacy of a sort working even with some seriously bad folks.

4. - Top - End - #184

It really feels like we're coming to some kind of endgame at this point- big secrets are being revealed, the cracks in the authorities' power are starting to show some, established players are being un-established... I'm wondering if it will come down to Ember vs. Spectre vs. Spectre vs. Spectre vs. the Authorities vs. the populace, or if things will fragment even more?

Also, 'John figures out how to undo the power-dampener' feels like it's being telegraphed so strongly that it's starting to feel like there's a subversion incoming. Really really hoping that the subversion isn't 'nope, he's still depowered lolz'.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Also, 'John figures out how to undo the power-dampener' feels like it's being telegraphed so strongly that it's starting to feel like there's a subversion incoming. Really really hoping that the subversion isn't 'nope, he's still depowered lolz'.
    Given the vials at the end of this one labeled "JOHN: Sample — Disabler resistance", I think it's pretty clear that he is able to undo the power-dampener. But what exactly is the deal with those vials? Are those the samples of the amplifier? If so, it's pretty curious that they're labeled "disabler resistance", given that they work on people who don't seem to have their power dampened. Also, it should be less surprising that they contain DNA similar to John's if they're literally labeled with his name. So I'm interpreting those as being separate, vials of John's blood that someone (Spectre?) has and is trying to experiment with.

It's nice to see relatively normal interactions between the Ember agents. I like when villains aren't twirling their mustaches 24/7.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    It's nice to see relatively normal interactions between the Ember agents. I like when villains aren't twirling their mustaches 24/7.
    Yeah, I also really like it, not to mention that it tends to lead to more competent and believable villains in a setting like this. I'm liking them more and more as antagonists.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Looks like the comic is on break for a few more weeks.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yeah it being on break is a sad result of just how hard it is to get this sort of thing out in a weekly format, the break is deserved.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Useful exposition about how abilities work, and information sharing among the characters about Jane!

10. - Top - End - #190

Huh. Looks like they're going to feed that prat Orrin to the authorities. Wonder if Spectre will be able to compartmentalize enough to keep Orrin from taking them all down with him?
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Spectre looks to be about to learn the problems with staffing your organization with folks you've coerced into it.

It occurs to me that I have no idea what the deal is with their temporary ability dampener. Most of the ability manipulation we've seen takes the form of drugs presumably derived from Jane. They tend to take a bit to take effect as they spread through the subject's system. It's all pretty medical in nature. But the temporary dampener works instantly over a large area, with no discernible source. We consistently get the beam visual and the color negative effect, which is very different from a vial of magical drugs. Whatever the source, it's something portable and selective. It's not Jane herself, but perhaps Spectre has someone else with a similar sort of ability?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The observation that Arlo is good at making enemies.
    If only you knew, Cass...

Kinda think Cassandra is a bit naive though.
    I don't think her bosses will care much that people were forced to work for Orrin.
    Best case they end up under Keon's tender care*.

*Best case because somehow I expect the harsher punishments to be worse. And that's if you don't end up a guinea pig in some research lab.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Didn't expect that development...
    Spoiler
    Show

If indeed William was indeed just killed, that gets John extremely personally involved. He has so far been fairly peripherally involved in the brewing conflict with the authorities, but this definitely changes that. It also, if she should learn about it, pisses off the even more phenomenally powerful Jane. Guys, you don't break treaties!
    Last edited by Thales; 2023-10-11 at 11:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Every time these guys do something I have to wonder if they have some kinda evil action quota they have to fulfill. I mean, this was hilariously shortsighted and petty.

And, while it's not entirely unexpected considering the anti vigilants department, straight up murdering the dude? What happened to good old show trials? Did they run out of kangaroos?

Oh well, interesting times ahead I guess. Not that I hope John -or his friends- get a kill count, but after this? I kinda wanna see them going all out.

That line though... "The Bureau sees all". But it understands little.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Looks like Darren's ability restoration thing works (possibly with some side effects), at least for Seraphina. I wonder if the lack of effect for John is because of a difference in him or a difference in the composition? I'd guess the former. In any event, this will be helpful for when Seraphina inevitably gets ambushed at her meeting.

16. - Top - End - #196

Chimera

Well Arlo got a difficult decision to make now.

Val may be a psychopath, but she is not a hypocrite. She is laying the cards on the table. Arlo needs to grow up, and choose what side he is on. He can't be on both sides forever.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Seems that the comic is on hiatus until the new year. John is getting angrier at the authorities, and he's going to get angrier still, but at least he's not directing too much of this at the doing-his-best Arlo. The relative power of his punch at the end might be an indicator that his powers are flaring through the dampener, or could just be the results of the partial restore he's already had.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

The comic is back after its hiatus. Looks like the protagonists are starting to plan ahead somewhat, and it seems that the information about William's disappearance and probably death is starting to come out.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

All right, that does confirm that William is dead. I had sort of hoped (or not, because I don't think this would have been the right narrative choice to make) that he hadn't really been killed, but he sure looks dead, and that information is in the process of getting out. It also seems that John's maternal uncle has a power pretty similar to his, although the mention of him picking out those powers suggests it might work somewhat differently.

20. - Top - End - #200

Just caught up, and oog. Poor John. And Uru-Chan is doing an excellent job of making the Authorities psychotically hate-able. The things some people will do to cling on to power...

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic(s)

Well, things are certainly starting to move now.
    Avalanche style.
    John and the vigilante trio are sowing chaos.
    Also, John is back in the game and on the warpath- thank you, Zeke.
    Has that kid ever done anything that didn't make the situation worse? Considering how that tends to go for him, he should've learned by now. Too many blows to the head maybe?

And Arlo is running a very risky trust exercise with Cass.
    I hope this doesn't blow up on him one way or another.
    Well, one thing's sure though. He won't have to return to his job.
    So, well played on that part at least.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Impressive showing from Keene. I guess this is the sort of display that got him sent for reeducation to begin with. Still, I expect this will end in tragedy with one or both of Keene and Vaughn dead.