New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default bcool999's Tyrant's Grasp - Dead Roads

12th Pharast AR 4719
    Unknown Location

All is darkness and cold stone. Although you dimly recall going to sleep last night in the small community of Roslar’s Coffer, you awaken in a dark, stone box only a few inches larger than you in each direction. The cool scent of earth surrounds you.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bit of a cold open on this one. Exactly as it says above your characters don't know where they have awoken. Only that it is completely dark and (for those that can't see in complete darkness) moving a few inches in any direction is quickly met with unyielding stone.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: bcool999's Tyrant's Grasp - Dead Roads

Jullianna De'Moor

Julianna starts, the cold of the stone sending a shudder down her back as she feels left and right only to find the smooth stone walls. With panic rising she tries to draw upon some inner calm, focusing on her breaths. A faint mumble as she recites the opening lines of Iomedae's daily prayers. A soft golden glow slowly begins to suffuse the area, light emanating from her head like a golden halo. As she looks about she begins a growing horror that she might be in a coffin or some other container. As panic grips her she braces herself against the bottom of the stone box and tries to push upwards, straining against the stone.

Show

Strength check if required (1d20+5)[10]

Jullianna De'Moor
    F LG Aasamir Warpriest (Warpath) 1, Level 1, Init 5, HP 11/11, Speed
    AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, CMD 18, Fort 5, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Greatsword +6 (+6) (2d6+7 (+10), 19-20)
    Cold Iron Morning Star +5 (1d8+5, x2)
    Dagger (Hopeknife) +5 (1d4+5, 19-20)
    Scalemail w/Armoured Kilt (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 14
    Condition Trait: +1 hit/dam Vs anyone who hit allies/me
    Trait: +1 dam Vs Undead
    Resistance: Acid / Cold / Elec 5
    Racial: +2 save Vs Light/Dazzled/ Death

Stance: Silver Crane Waltz (+4 Init, +2 AC, +2 Ref saves)

Maneuvers
    Enouraging Roar +2 hit/dam for allies within 60ft
    Flowing Creek Perform (dance) to negate attack (R)
    Enduring Crane Strike: Heals ally for 1d6+Wis damage

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Milo awakens in a bit of a panic. He was where he should not be, that was sure enough to him. However, where was he?

His initial thrashing and questing in the darkness with his limbs reveals three things to him.
    One, that he was in a stone box of some form.
    Two, that he was not in immediate danger.
    Three, there was entirely not enough head clearance for him to sit up. His throbbing forehead attested to that.

"Ello?" he calls out. "Is any bawdy out there?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Darius feels around. Good, he has his equipment.
    He listens intently for a minute, trying to gauge his surroundings.
    Hearing nothing, he sits up cautiously, [If there is a lid, he pushes it off. If unsuccessful at that, ignore the rest of the post.] then feels in his pack for a torch and flint&steel. Once he has his torch lit, he looks around to see where he is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Andrial gently places his hand on the cold stone above him and tries to remember how exactly he found his way into such a situation. He begins slowly moves his hands around the box, trying to feel for a rope, or lever that may release him from this coffin, but to no avail. After 3 minutes of running his hands around, he lays back, takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, "I suppose I shouldn't expect anything to be easy for me." and begins attempting to push the coffin top off of him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Ildranar Keyem

Ildranar startles awake, and bangs his arms against his confinement. "Nonononono......... check yourself. Arms working. Legs. How is your head? Breath? Wet, warm spots". He forces down the panic by focusing on what he can feel. Next, he tries to get enough wriggle room to cast a simple light spell.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Livia Morgayne

Livia wakes up, her eyes wide for the briefest moment as she takes in her surroundings in perfect darkness. For the briefest moment, she was... but no, this just looks like the inside of a cupboard or something. Or maybe a coffin? Though she can't make out anything beyond the confined space she's found herself in, she appears to be wearing her road clothes. The comfortable weight of a coiled leather whip is at her left waist, as is the reinforced bracer and its hidden contents. Definitely strange - for the past few years, she's kept most of her weaponry in a locked box underneath her bed. After all, there is no need for it in Roslar's Coffer.

Could someone have snuck into her room and clothed her while she slept? They would have then needed to pick her up and carry her in whatever container this is. Curiouser and curiouser. She lets out a little giggle, her mind already racing at the mystery of it all.

"Yoo hoo! Hello out there, whoever you are!" She decides to croon out from the box. "Mysterious kidnapper? You've got me all dressed up and nowhere to go! Don't you know it's bad manners not to at least ask before capturing someone against their will?"
    Spoiler: Livia
    Show
    Livia Morgayne
    Female Chaotic Good Tiefling (Shackleborn) Bard (Dirge Bard), Level 1, Init 5, HP 12/12, Speed 30 ft
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Whip +4 (1d3, x2, +2 trip attempts)
    Dagger +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Studded Leather Armor (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 20
    Condition None
    Bard Spells Known: 0th level (∞) - dancing lights, detect magic, ghost sound, summon instrument
    1st level (2/2) - grease, timely inspiration
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-07 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Julianna
    Show
    You light up the narrow confines you find yourself in. Your halo, normally a comforting presence on even the darkest nights, only serves to show the close press of stone around you. Your body blocks the light in places leaving inky void at the corners of your vision. You strain against the stone. Pushing with all your lauded strength, but the stone is unyielding. You are very much trapped.

Outside the box, you hear two loud crashes, as though stone falling on stone.

Spoiler: Milo
    Show
    Your call echoes back loudly to your own ears due to the close confines of the stone box you lie supine in. As you listen for a reply to your call only silence returns...

For a moment at least. Then two crashes sound out from beyond your confines as though stone falling on stone.

Spoiler: Darius
    Show
    You quickly realize simple pushing to be impossible. Sliding however, while difficult, proves fruitful as the stone lid slides to the side and off the edge of the box onto the floor with a crash. Only, the crash of stone was echoed by another nearby.

Spoiler: Andrial
    Show
    You quickly realize simple pushing to be impossible. Sliding however, while difficult, proves fruitful as the stone lid slides to the side and off the edge of the box onto the floor with a crash. Only, the crash of stone was echoed by another nearby.

Spoiler: Ildranar
    Show
    It is more difficult to cast in complete darkness with so little space. But long hours of practice see you through the trail and the lid of your stone box begins to glow like a torch before you. Illuminating just how little space you have being mere inches from stone in all directions save where you lay upon the stone directly.

Outside your confines you hear two great cacophony's. Like two heavy stones falling.

Show
    You are unsure what response to expect, but the response you received was not words. Instead the sounds of two heavy stones falling to the ground greeted your ears.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Jullianna De'Moor

The stone doesn't move and Julianna begins to panic. Breathing heavily she hears two thumps of stone on stone. Whilst there is the worry of 'who' it may mean she isn't alone.

"Hello ..." she shouts loudly, trying attract attention, "Help please I'm trapped!" she shouts out trying to attract attention before kicking the base of the coffin with her feet.

Pausing for a moment she looks around in the light of her glowing halo seeing the edge of the lift and then reaches up using her arms braced against her body to push the lid to the left and right trying to slide it to the side...

(If) As it opens she sits up, drawing the long blade that someone had placed beside her, and looks around.

Show

Jullianna De'Moor
    AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, CMD 18, Fort 5, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 0

Maneuvers

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

The stone slides off after some struggle, the fresh air filling Andrial's lungs. He takes a deep breath and rubs his eyes as he hears the cries of someone from next to him..inside another coffin?

"Oh gods, where are we..." he looks around trying to get a grasp of where he's been dragged off to, "If anyone's alive in these things, slide it off, if you can't just call out. I'll find you."

Andrial staggers over to a nearby closed coffin and opens it, hoping whoever was just calling out is inside.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Ildranar Keyem

Ildranar takes a few deep breaths. "This is not exactly ideal". He braces himself as best he can, and tries to move the lid.

Str 14, max lift 175, off ground 350
    Semper ludens.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Livia Morgayne

As she hears banging and crashing, Livia tries to turn her head in the restricted coffin, to no avail. Though she can see perfectly well in the dark, there is nothing yet to see. "Hello?" She calls out to the unknown as she finally tries to push with what meagre might she has against the slab above her to slide it off.

Emerging from the receptacle should she be free, Livia turns about to examine her surroundings with uncontained excitement. "I just have to say," she announces to the room, "that I love these kinds of games. I used to play them all the time when I was a kid!"
    Show
    Livia Morgayne
    Female Chaotic Good Tiefling (Shackleborn) Bard (Dirge Bard), Level 1, Init 5, HP 12/12, Speed 30 ft
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Dagger +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Condition None
    Bard Spells Known: 0th level (∞) - dancing lights, detect magic, ghost sound, summon instrument
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-08 at 04:57 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

13. - Top - End - #13

It sounds to Milo as if there might be others. While he is strong for his race, he doubts his ability to lift a stone slab. Thanking Erastil for depositing him here with his staff, he begins to rhythmically tap on the lid of his confines with the bottom of his staff, hoping that it penetrates the slab. If not, he knows he should conserve his strength for an attempt to break free from this box, but for now he simply hopes that someone will hear and help him as he would if the roles were reversed.

14. - Top - End - #14

Sitting up, Darius fetches a torch from his pack and lights it. Looks like there are others in the same situation. He quickly hops out of his coffinlike box and goes to assist the others.
    Once everyone is free, Darius carefully examines the area they are in, seeking any clues as to how or why they are there.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Ildranar Keyem

"Oh. Someone is helping me here". As the lid comes off his prison, Ildranar lies still for a moment, showing his hands. He doesn't know if these are liberators, or his captors. Eventually, he gets out and looks around.

"You look as lost as I am. My name is Ildranar Keyem, wizard and resident of Roslar's Coffer. And last night, I did not go to sleep in this...coffin".

[/I]
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Jullianna De'Moor

Julianna sitting up lets her halo light spread from her head and neck illuminating the area with a diffuse golden light. Seeing other people moving she jumps up to her feet, the sword trailing by her side before relaxing slightly as she spies Iildranar. "Ildranar, how did you get here, how did we get here?" She asks as she hops out of the box, patting down her pockets and looking around as she picks up her military pack that had been tucked by her feet.

Looking around at the others she lends the other man (Darius) pushing the lids off all the other coffins. "Well met, I am Julianna, like Ildranar I am from Roslar's Coffer. But more recently from Mendev and the Crusade." She looks about. "Do you know where we are? Or how we came to be here?"

Show

Jullianna De'Moor

Maneuvers

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Livia Morgayne

Emerging from her coffin and looking about, Livia sees a few faces that she dimly recognizes, as well as a few she doesn't. None are friends of hers, but she does recognize the elf among the others. When she hears him say his name, she remembers him. Ildranar. He's a wizard right? Some kind of student, she can't remember. The others, she's less sure of, but the light from the other woman's...

"Is that a halo? It's so beautiful!" All but leaping up from her prone position with no heed as to any of the questions asked so far, Livia rushes over to Jullianna's side to get a closer look. She holds back from asking the litany of questions that have come to her mind, settling instead for gazing up at it with an awestruck grin for a solid thirty seconds before turning to the others.

"Considering the coffins, I was going to suggest that we died... but who would take the time to put us in different clothes? Also, I don't know about any of you, but I have no memory of dying. If we are all dead, the whole affair was quiet and painless, just like going to sleep." Quirking her lips slightly, the 'girl' sways in place. "Honestly, it could be worse. I've never been dead before; I'm curious to see what that's like. Oh, and I'm Livia - pleased to meet you all."
    Show
    Livia Morgayne
    Dagger +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Condition None
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-09 at 04:16 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #18

Milo grins as the lid to his chamber opens. "Oh, thank ya!" he says as he clambers to his feet and adjusts his chain shirt. He gives a slight bow. "Milo Proudfoot, at ya service." He strains his eyes looking to see who all is assembled and if he recognizes anyone from town. "None ah ya would happen to know or be responsible for what happened would ya?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

12th Pharast AR 4719
    Burial Chamber

Through strength of arm and mutual aid all those entombed are freed. As they confer with one another and search about the room, various details become clear. In the corner of the room farthest from the door sits a crate covered in cloth, but more interesting, and disturbing, are the reliefs carved into the north wall. On the north wall (the wall your heads were pointed toward while lying in the stone sarcophagi) is a serious of reliefs above which words are carved in common.
    The words read, "Red Shrikes - Noble Companions in the War against Evil. Rest Well, My Friends." Each sarcophagi also has a small alcove. Livia's depicts a human woman with a hand harp. Juilanna's depicts an armord Aasimar woman with a halo. Milo's depicts a halfling with a sling in one hand and a pipe in the other. Ildranar's depicts an elven wizard consulting his spellbook while a sphere floats above his other hand. Darius' depicts a swordsman with a curved blade standing in a combat stance. Andrial's depicts a man holding aloft a holy symbol of Shelyn.
    Only short inspection is required to tell that the carvings, while somewhat close to the occupants of the respective sarcophagi in terms of race gender and occupation, do not actually depict anyone present. Facial features are off, hairstyles don't match, and the elf depicted is downright portly compared to Ildranar.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2021-01-10 at 12:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Jullianna De'Moor

Julianna looks to Livia as the young woman runs up to her staring at the halo of light emanating from her. "Well met, I am Julianna. I'm looking n the dark, so to speak, as much as you. I was in my father's old house, then I was here."

As the light illumes the room she approaches the murals. "The red Shrikes, we appear similar, but that is not me." she says looking at the pictures, "Certainly not you Ildramar, not with that gut" As she considers if she has ever heard of the Red Shrikes.

"Does anyone know where we are?" She asks loudly to the room at large.

Show

Knowledge (History) (1d20+6)[26] re. Red Shrikes

Jullianna De'Moor

Maneuvers

Last edited by DrK; 2021-01-10 at 04:30 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Ildranar Keyem
    Perception +8 (Traps +1) * Low-light vision * Initiative +3

Ildranar looks over the carving. "It looks like someone went very, very far for a very poor joke". Then he goes to check the contents of the crate, bringing his light with him.

Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-01-10 at 03:35 AM.
    Semper ludens.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Ildranar searches the dusty crate and finds it to be left over construction supplies, presumably from when this tomb was first built. The crate contains a variety of dried-out and useless paints, a crowbar, flint and steel, three common lamps, two hammers, one hooded lantern, eight pints of oil, and a dented pewter mug.

Show
    Found loot! Please mention what you take and I will add it to the loot sheet on discord.

23. - Top - End - #23

Darius muses "Red Shrikes, eh? Something about that strikes a chord..." (Knowledge:History check +5)

24. - Top - End - #24

Milo examines the reliefs and tries to recall anything he can about them. Only a vague resemblance seemed to match him and the others in the room to the figures depicted.

Show

Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+5)[20]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Jullianna De'Moor

Examing the pictures on the walls she shrugs. "COuld be any number of things, any number of Crusades but it still looks aligned with the righteous which at least bodes well." As she glances at the crate she dismisses the apparent junk within and strides towards the door, a trailing cape of light following her as her halo shines with an intense focus. Reaching the door she glances to the others - "If none of you know how we came to be here, shall we see if we can get out of here and see where we are at least?"

Nodding to some of the others she motions at the crate,"If you cannot provide your own light it may be wise to bring some of your own?"

She stands by the door, listening carefully and awaiting a nod from the others before she opens it.

Show

Perception (1d20+8)[13]

Jullianna De'Moor

Maneuvers

26. - Top - End - #26

Try though he might, Darius can't recall anything about Red Shrikes, but another thing occurs to him.
    "Given the similarity between these figures and us, I wonder if perhaps we have been chosen to continue their fight in some way. If so, that means there's something bad coming."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Ildranar Keyem
    Perception +8 (Traps +1) * Low-light vision * Initiative +3

Ildranar walks up to the door. He slides his fingers deftly along the edges, looking for anything out of place, and brushes his foot across the area in front of it, tests the floor for telltale unevenness, then gives Julianna the nod.

Perception check for traps: +9
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #28

Milo wanders over to the crate to check out it's contents as his fellows continue to examine and prepare. "Tis a shame ta waste such usefa' tools." He says as he lifts out the hooded lantern, clearly showing some signs of difficulty. He sets it down and lights it to make sure it still works after who knows how long, possibly since the Shining Crusade itself.

"There are, ngh, sum usefa' stuff 'here." He grunts as he makes his way towards the group in the doorway rather slowly. "Oh! Dash it all." he finally grunts and removes several torches from his pack and tosses them on the ground.

Straightening himself up he looks wistfully back at the torches and crate. "'Waste not, want not.'" he mumbles to himself almost as if trying to convince himself of something.

Show

Acquire and light 1 hooded lantern.
    Drop half a pound and a half of small sized torches (Do they weigh different from normal torches? They came from my paladin's kit.
    Last edited by Ostoril; 2021-01-11 at 09:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Jullianna De'Moor

Julianna nods thanks to the elf as he checks the doors, then sword in hand she pushes against the door, her halo glaring and lighting the way.

With a forceful opening of the door she strides through with purpose, dancing as she walks almost in her Silver Crane trained manner

Show

Perception [roll0]

Jullianna De'Moor

Maneuvers

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Livia Morgayne

Trailing behind Jullianna and casting introductions with small curtsies to the rest of the men in the room, Livia keeps her eyes peeled. She gives Milo in particular a nod when the man articulates about the need for torches. "See? We're already on our way, and we've found some more light to boot! Don't worry about the torches. It could always be worse; we could have been stuck here without anything helpful at all."
    Show
    Livia Morgayne
    Dagger +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Condition None
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.