Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Star Wars The High Republic

A quick query has anyone read this or watched the you tube videos?

Was wondering if you had read this, what you thought about it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars The High Republic

This isn't live action? I thought this was going to be live action.
    : (
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

This isn't live action? I thought this was going to be live action.
    : (
    I believe there's going to be a live-action television series premised on the High Republic era on Disney+, but there's also this adjacent media to establish the period in novels and comics that was supposed to be released from last summer onwards.

I mean, I assume it's live action. It's being written/directed by the woman who did Russian Doll on Netflix.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

First book is ordered. I'm on the fence, so it'll give me an idea of how the other projects will go. I've read other work by Daniel Jose, Claudia Grey, and Rebecca Roanhorse and didn't like them much, but I'll give Light of the Jedi a shot.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    First book is ordered. I'm on the fence, so it'll give me an idea of how the other projects will go. I've read other work by Daniel Jose, Claudia Grey, and Rebecca Roanhorse and didn't like them much, but I'll give Light of the Jedi a shot.
    So far Claudia Grey has the best new Canon Star Wars book, so I'm definitely excited for hers.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I got through about the first third so far of Light of the Jedi. Good action opening, nice to establish in this time and place what the Republic and Jedi are capable of. Not a lot of real character work yet though, so hard to judge it there.

So far Claudia Grey has the best new Canon Star Wars book, so I'm definitely excited for hers.
    I've never really understood the love for Lost Stars, I found it pretty bland. Didn't care much for Bloodline either. Though given how bad most of the few others I've read have been, they were at least better than those.

Best new Canon book I've read would have to be the Kieron Gillen run on Darth Vader.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lost Stars is the only nucanon book I've liked. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but it was a well-made classic story that made me care about the characters. I ask nothing more of Star Wars.

I admit I haven't read the rest of her books though.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Been getting a strong Destiny vibe from the trailer especially that scene with the four eyed foe.

And as for that plant monster the only way that could be genuinely frightening is if that isn't a plant but a force user infected with a spore thats turned them into that.

Since midichlorians are so bound to life what if there's a version that preys on midichlorians?

THAT would be very frightening especially if a lightsaber is worthless since all it needs is to infect them?

9. - Top - End - #9

Come on, book, ship already!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Come on, book, ship already!
    That's why I loves me my Kindle. Especially given how much I have to travel for work.

11. - Top - End - #11

Book arrived today. This one is actually high stakes for me, because the rest of the canon is relying heavily on 'complain about the Jedi, but provide no actual new ideas', and I want to see what they can do when they can't use that crutch. I'm trying to have an open mind, but if they do what I think they're going to do, that will be difficult.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Book arrived today. This one is actually high stakes for me, because the rest of the canon is relying heavily on 'complain about the Jedi, but provide no actual new ideas', and I want to see what they can do when they can't use that crutch. I'm trying to have an open mind, but if they do what I think they're going to do, that will be difficult.
    To be fair to the writers, whine about the jedi regardless of context or evidence has been the default for fans for ages and ages so they are just delivering what the fanbase wants. My copy hits my mailbox today though so this should be interesting.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #13

Chapter 3 is aggravating me.

Spoiler
    Show

The writing is leaning heavily into 'look at these unsophisticated farmers, who think in farming metaphors and don't go anywhere or do anything, not like the sophisticated people. The smart people leave, because there's nothing here worth staying for. Even the Prime Minister thinks like that! Technically skilled people go elsewhere, because obviously nobody would stay on this planet where nothing is, and skill or talent is not needed for mere farming.'

They might subvert this later on, but it will need to be very well done to work.

I don't know how to describe this writing, but I am not happy. That was quick.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Chapter 3 is aggravating me.

Spoiler
    Show

The writing is leaning heavily into 'look at these unsophisticated farmers, who think in farming metaphors and don't go anywhere or do anything, not like the sophisticated people. The smart people leave, because there's nothing here worth staying for. Even the Prime Minister thinks like that! Technically skilled people go elsewhere, because obviously nobody would stay on this planet where nothing is, and skill or talent is not needed for mere farming.'

They might subvert this later on, but it will need to be very well done to work.

I don't know how to describe this writing, but I am not happy. That was quick.

Once you finished this book would you mind giving us an update about this?

15. - Top - End - #15

Okay, done. I have many complex thoughts.

Spoiler: Light of the Jedi, entire book, full spoilers
    Show

I wouldn't say my expectations were high, exactly, but I was curious about what they had in store. The book is...above average, I suppose, I was more interested in the concepts we were getting than this story in particular. In the High Republic, they have to avoid a major war and visible Sith, but otherwise have a lot of freedom. So, the concepts first...

Spoiler: The Great Disaster
    Show

Unless there's more to it yet to be revealed, this is triggered when a massive transport ship (9000 colonists plus crew and cargo) rips itself to pieces in Hyperspace, resulting in pieces of debris impacting across the galaxy at lightspeed. What I thought they were going to do was shutdown hyperspace for months and explore various adventures of different characters over those months over multiple books, but that doesn't seem to be happening here, because the hyperspace disaster is resolved by the end of the book (or appears to be) Unless future media goes back in time, but while the Chancellor does shut down hyperspace while they figure out what the hell is happening, they don't really explore the effects of this in book, and the main characters have no difficulty travelling where they want to, and can reach places like Naboo (Outer Rim) and Coruscant (Core) for meetings with no apparent difficulty.

They're sort of between a rock and a hard place here, because this is supposed to be the era of Light and Hope and Optimism, so they can't make the disaster too catastrophic, but they also have to make it compelling enough to support the stories through this era.

The agricultural world of Hetzal and its two moons is in the path of several large pieces of debris, which are dangerous enough by themselves, but a piece of the cargo ship containing a tanker of liquid tibana is heading for the systems's sun, which if it hits causes a chain reaction that results in the Hetzal system's sun expanding to double its size and cook the entire system. Fifty four Jedi happen to be aboard a Republic ship close enough to get there before the disaster, and set about doing as much as they can. Some of the debris is cargo containing live passengers, which have to be rescued instead of just destroyed.

So the Jedi have to push it out of the way with the Force so it doesn't hit the sun, and they sort of combine their power across the galaxy to make it happen.

They succeed, of course, and while thousands die across Hetzal from various impacts and riots, the planet itself is kept mostly intact. Another planet takes a hit for twenty million dead, and there are other emergences across the galaxy.

So this ends up being... underwhelming and overwhelming? It's a major catastrophe obviously, but not enough to be the linchpin of an entire era by itself.

Spoiler: The Nihil
    Show

So, the other big thing here is the Nihil, who are a band of marauders with a unique way to travel through hyperspace, in that they don't need to use the standard lanes. The great disaster ends up being caused by one of their ships by accident, as they essentially crossed a hyperspace lane without looking left and right, and oncoming traffic had to swerve to avoid them and crashed.

They're pretty much pirates, with a vaguely interesting non centralised command structure, but by the end of the book
    Spoiler: ending
    Show
    they've been seized control of by their navigator, so the interesting command structure no longer applies. And their new leader is too similar to characters we've seen before, being a mastermind hiding in the shadows manipulating people into fighting for him and then betraying them, with a grudge against the Jedi and an apparent intention to capture and turn to the Dark a Jedi Master, holding a mysterious glowing rod. He's not noticeably Force sensitive, as far as we know,but feels very familiar despite not actually being someone we know. The mastermind's plan also heavily relies on no member of his gang being taken alive, which is a big gamble.

The Nihil have kind of lost their distinctive identity by the end of the book. They still have the hyperspace trick,but I've kind of lost interest and if they do launch a galactic campaign then it becomes difficult to see how that doesn't qualify as a major war.

Spoiler: The Jedi
    Show

Eh, they're okay. They didn't live down to my worst fears, but didn't really assuage them either. Every Jedi sees the Force differently and has their own specialty. On one end of the galaxy a gang of raiders gives them trouble, on the other they're stopping a star from exploding or making it rain with the Force to quench a fire. Hard to see the Nihil as much of a threat, though.

Spoiler: Hetzal
    Show
    What I was complaining about doesn't come up much after chapter 3, but it doesn't get addressed either. There's a tech genius on the Prime Minister's staff, and both he and the people around him are constantly thinking that his skills are too useful to stay on Hetzal, that he will move on to better things and has exhausted the possibilities of a mere agricultural world (that is the bread basket of the Outer Rim, by the way). And that thread continues through the book. It's a pet hate of mine, probably won't bother most readers.

There's nothing wrong with this book, per se. But at the end, I'm not very drawn in to the stories to come. To the book's credit, it's a complete story that doesn't cut itself off for the sake of a cheap cliffhanger, but I'm not all that excited for the rest of this era, as is, and I'm unlikely to order any more of upcoming books when I can just read the spoilers instead.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    Okay, done. I have many complex thoughts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the capsule summary and your reactions. This was something I was mildly interested in, since I was initially very excited that they would be exploring this era.

But after reading through a number of pages on the Amazon preview, I'm struck with how extremely amateur the writing feels. This isn't the worst Star Wars writing I've ever seen, but it's nowhere near the best. Not inspired and needed a lot of polish, not to mention some workshopping.

That impression plus your notes inclines me towards a pass on this one. It's disappointing, but I appreciate your thoughts on this.

17. - Top - End - #17

There's also this if you want to see more of the style.

18. - Top - End - #18

Did anyone try 'Into the Dark?' I'm vaguely interested but not enough to actually order it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I've got it but it's been pretty hectic lately so I haven't gotten into either of them yet. I'll update you when I do.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I just started reading Into the Dark. Came to a part where they say the atmosphere on a space station is an oxygen/hydrogen mix, so they'll be just fine to go aboard.

Sigh.
    Last edited by Darth Credence; 2021-02-19 at 02:07 PM.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
    I just started reading Into the Dark. Came to a part where they say the atmosphere on a space station is an oxygen/hydrogen mix, so they'll be just fine to go aboard.

Sigh.
    They're going for a swim, I presume.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post

Sigh.
    There is at least one hydrogen-oxygen gas mixture used for deep sea diving (I believe it's ~96% hydrogen and ~4% oxygen), so it's at least plausible that the atmosphere on the station would be human-breathable. Still, probably not the most welcoming of environments, and potentially more than a little dangerous at the airlock.

23. - Top - End - #23

Could we be charitable and say that they're speaking shorthand for something more complicated?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So how explosive is that atmosphere?

Will a lightsaber be enough to ignite it?

I bet they never thought about that!

Wouldn't be the first thing they didn't think about!

EDIT: Hope this link works!
    https://sciencing.com/happens-hydrog...e-8515474.html
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2021-02-20 at 02:01 PM.