New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default If you could see one strip or sequence "remastered," what would it be?

After going back to re-read the series (again) I've really begun to appreciate the art upgrade introduced in Utterly Dwarfed. While the original style still certainly has its charm, I can't help but wonder what some of the earlier stories in the comic would have looked like were they drawn this way. So, if you could see one comic (or sequence of comics) redrawn in the new art style, which would it be? Personally, I think I would love to see the original fight with the Linear Guild again, though I bet the New Years festival in Azure City would be visually impressive as well.
    Last edited by Nehoyminoynoy; 2021-01-07 at 02:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: If you could see one strip or sequence "remastered," what would it be?

I'd like to see what Rich could do to improve the hotel fire in NCFTPB. The flames would probably look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: If you could see one strip or sequence "remastered," what would it be?

I wouldn't mind seeing some more intense special effects for the real and irreversible disintegration of the strip's main antagonists in 1222, but I think the anticlimax there was intentional.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't have a good answer, but I will point out that while not in the new style, the 2014 calendar is essentially a set of scenes with upgraded art. My favorites are Miko attacking the order and Miko fighting Belkar (April and May)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

If the only thing changing is the art style, then I'd pick a scene for which I already really love the dialogue and story, like the climax of SoD.

If we're talking more a full "remake" on the scale of how M Lee Lunsford redid chapter one of Supernormal Step in "Encores," then almost anything from book 1 would be good.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

the announcement of the formation of Gobbotopia would be neat, or any big-Gobbotopia scene.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Miko's execution of Shojo and subsequent fall. That sequence was awesome enough as-is, but it would be even cooler with new art.
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The whole of War and XPs.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The first Linear Guild scenes, particularly the battle for the Talisman.

It would be neat to see Miko fight in the new art style, but I think her strips still hold up pretty well. The first battle with the Linear Guild is basically the strip's first attempt at a dramatic, non-jokey battle sequence, but the art isn't quite there for that. I want to see this shot polished up to look more like this shot.

(Roy's early poses in particular could use polish - they look like he's just sort of holding his sword out and the monsters are dying on contact.)
    Last edited by Aegeus; 2021-01-08 at 09:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

It's a small moment, but one of my early favorites -- the Book 1 battle with Xykon and, specifically, Roy's sword breaking.

Seeing him relive those memories of how important the sword was to him was an early indicator to me of how the comic was soon going to be reaching for more substantial plotlines and cool narrative moments. A revised version of that scene probably wouldn't add much, but it would be fun to see if Rich made any changes the second time around.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Definitely the takeover of Azure City. Redcloak's realization, the tide of battle turning, Belkar's spree, Xykon's cool monologue on the dragon, all of it. That would be a heck of a lot to draw, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Surtur eating people.

I'm really just curious to see how Surtur would look like nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #13

Like Thrym, but red instead of blue.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

Elan being invisible! Nah, just kidding

I probably would appreciate the first encounter of Roy and Xykon on the new art style. And probably the black dragon moving on the water .

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Surtur eating people.

I'm really just curious to see how Surtur would look like nowadays.
    I'd like a remastered Surtr rather than a remastering of that scene (which doesn't really fit with the rest of the comic as the years have progressed). I doubt Rich would go the Scorpion/Sub-zero route with the design (now).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This strip could certainly use better definition.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    This strip could certainly use better definition.
    Nah, this one would be waaaay better.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Definitely one of the strips of Darth Vaarsuvius destroying the dark dragon, in particular the one with Disjunction and Quickened Disintegrated. At that point of the story, VV was by far the most overpowered character we knew of.

19. - Top - End - #19

MonkGuy

DURKON!
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1000.html

Oh, wait. Before the last art upgrade? All of the sigils/medallion part but particularly non-traditional panel layout Thog evilness.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html
    Last edited by Shirow; 2021-01-22 at 04:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Miko's fall and arrest. Not just for the action, I think Rich could really use the art to help convey the heavy emotions of that scene more than he already did.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper