New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ancient xcom solo 5e

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I feel really bad, I have issues with firewalls because I may or may not be on a work computer. It's got some weird restrictions. Any chance I could get you to upload that map to imgur?

Additionally, how are we handling spells for the casters?

Hawthorne walks up to Cross and shakes his hand.

Is your team prepared?

Yes, sir.

Good luck then and god's speed. We'll be waiting anxiously for your return.

Cross nods and his team pushes out in their boats an travel to the southeast corner of the island and prepare to make landfall.
    Last edited by DonchasWatrfals; 2021-01-14 at 04:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    You can choose the spells. Anything else would be a bit unfair.
    Before I forget... Any character of yours that has a herbalism kit proficiency will start every mission with the kit and an antitoxin.

The canoetrip takes about twenty minutes. Clouds are starting to cover the sky. THe weather is warm and moist.

The small island seems peaceful at first sight. There's birds singing and you can see a few voles scattering when you rise ashore. Certainly there's no sight of dread monsters.

Instead you can hear a song being sung very badly somewhere to the south.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cross looks around to his team.

Alright, l want everyone on high alert, but don't be jumpy. Don't attack until it's necessary. I don't want to spill any blood unless we have to. Right now, this is a stealth mission and it seems like we have a little bit of cover noise. Any questions?

He looks around and is met with only nods of agreement. The group quietly as possible begins moving south lead by Cross.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

About thirty yards westwards you see a member of the tribe. He's scratching and biting at a small tree. The man is Dropsh. He's famous as a guy who's always shirking duties to look for hallucinogenic mushrooms, fermented berries or anything else that would mess his head up. He claims to be looking to talk to the spirits that would make him an oracle. Right now he's bleeding from his gums over a birch.

Is it you? The starpeople? Did you come to take me to the sky?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cross, not looking for distractions, humors the man.

Yes Drosh, we are the star people. Now before we can take you to the sky you must prove to us your ability to remain focused. Do you see those canoes over there. They may look normal but they are in fact sky canoes. Do not touch them, but if you sit near them you will be touched by our grace. If you wait there for our return, we will take you with us to your rightful place in the sky!

Spoiler: Roll'em
    Show

Deception - (1d20-1)[5]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, It's you Cross. I was so sure I'd get the star people this time. I found the best mushrooms... But I lost some of them. I think I left them by the pool, or the rock or something... Maybe I left them by the clinking swamp? There's a part of this island on the other side... It clinks when you walk on it. Even if it's a swamp! Isn't that like... crazy!

He waves his arm in a wide arc pointing to the west.

But sure... I'll watch yer canoe. I was trying to make a raft because I'm a ... I'm a ... beaver. But the tree isn't doing things for me.

You notice that the arm he used to point was somewhat dry and ... shriveled. In the same manner as Shiver and the fishers were hurt previously.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Remembering the secondary mission to keep a lookout for lodestones Cross reevaluates his tactics.

Alright guys, I think we should check this out quick, Chief Hawthorne would want this information and we may not have time to do it later.

He continues to the west in the general direction Dropsh gestured too.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

As your team continues to move westwards the ground gets more moist. You can feel it give way under your feet a bit and there's sloshing sounds as you step.

You're now also in the middle of trees. Most of the trees are small and a bit sickly, stunted. But they form some cover... to you as well as anything else.

As you continue, Kula notices the head of a small turtle... gliding on the ground about 40' from you. It looks like it's trying to get away from you toward the west.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kula points out the turtle to the rest of the party, Cross deems it irrelevant and they continue trudging forward.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    I guess rereading this, it would've ran away from us in the direction we were already heading? Basically I think they just wouldn't change course because of a turtle.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

You continue west and you're getting near the western part of the island as you notice a swarm approaching you. A large number of small things are gliding in the air and approaching you.

About a hundred small turtle heads accompanied by one larger one. Their skin is broken their eyes are pale. They snap at air while heading straight toward you. You notice them at a distance of 100'

Spoiler: Initiative queue
    Show

The area has moist ground but it's not actually difficult ground. The woods would provide opportunities for light cover should you deem that important.

I rolled some initiatives

20 Pike
    18 Kula
    13 Deadheads
    12 Cross
    8 Angus

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cross readies the group

Alright, everyone who can keep their distance, do so. Besides that, you guys know what to do.

Pike readies a Frostbite to cast at the large turtle head.

Show

To hit: (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage: (1d6)[1]

Show
    Just looked back at the list of weapons and wanted to verify before I took Kula's turn. No bows currently? Realizing now I probably should've checked before selecting the team, but here we are!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    And to verify on that last post, Pike is readying her frostbite for once the turtle is within range.... for that sweet sweet 1 point of cold damage.
    Last edited by DonchasWatrfals; 2021-01-17 at 11:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Kula freezes the large turtle skull a bit. The skulls fly 80' towards your group. The swarm of smaller skulls seems more dangerous than the single slightly larger one. So far they just approach and move their jaws though.

Show

13 Deadheads
    12 Cross
    8 Angus
    round2
    20 Pike
    18 Kula

About bows. You would be aware that some of the other tribes have bows. The Silvanshee started out as whalers. Bows didn't do much. Bows are coming as some of the upgrades.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Pike cast that spell, not Kula.

Kula chants quietly to himself before breaking out his sling and launching a rock from the ground towards the swarm of skulls.

Show

Kula cast Hunter's Mark on the swarm of skulls

To hit: (1d20+5)[20]
    Sling damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    Hunter's Mark damage: (1d6)[4]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Kula's slingshot shatters several of the small heads. Some of the heads scatter, somehow the magic that makes the heads fly seems to partially disperse after the destruction of just a few of them. The others continue to seem like a danger.

Show
    Sorry I read the message wrong and didn't check the roster.

Cross and Angus have their turns as well. Pike gets another turn as well. The enemies are now at 20'

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cross draws his sling and shoots a rock into the fray of skulls rapidly approaching.

Angus starts chanting and gesticulating wildly as a beam of radiance descends upon the skulls nearest the party

Show

Cross to hit: (1d20+5)[7]
    Cross damage: (1d4+3)[4]
    Dex save for sacred flame: DC 13
    Radiant damage: (1d8)[1]

Figured this will reset us back to original initiative. Do you want me to be taking everyone's turns in a single post or just enough to get to the next enemy?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The flying terrapinheads are surprisingly dextrous, dodging Cross' slingshot as well as the sacred flame.

Show

From my perspective it's up to you how fast you want to roll through your characters' turns. SOmetimes you might want to see the results of some action before deciding the next. Other times it's just makes the game flow better to do all your actions at the same time. This game is between us so we can decide whatever works for us. This part is still kind of 'intro' to how we roll the game. We're both learning about each other too. You're a very nice person, btw. I don't mind GMing for you at all :). The intro mission is very basic on purpose, just so we can get to the flow of things before trying more ... interesting stuff...

round2
    20 Pike
    18 Kula
    13 Deadheads
    12 Cross
    8 Angus

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Well thanks bud! This is my favorite game I'm currently in besides the in-person Descent into Avernus I'm playing. (Because it's just hard to beat a weekly in person game). Alright then I'll probably variably roll through depending on the situation then.

Pike and Kula both repeat their attacks and the enemies that are closing distance, Kula slinging rocks and Pike casting Frostbite.

Show

Pike Frostbite: (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]
    Kula sling: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Both the flying singular head and the crowd of smaller ones are starting to be in pretty bad shape. They seem almost ready to collapse.

The turtles close the distance and start attacking you.
    The larger turtle tries to snap at Pike but misses. The swarm of smaller ones envelops Kula biting him for 3 hp.

Show

12 Cross
    8 Angus

round3
    20 Pike
    18 Kula
    13 Deadheads

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cross leaps forward with both of his hand axes and swipes at the large turtle attacking Pike.
    Angus look at the swarm and once again calls down radiant fire upon them.

Show
    Cross to hit: (1d20+1)[9]
    Damage: (1d6-1)[3]
    Cross to hit off hand: (1d20+1)[17]
    Damage: (1d6-1)[4]
    (I think on two weapon fighting if the modifier is negative you still add it to the second attack damage? Can't remember...)
    Angus cast sacred flame again: DC 13 Dex
    Damage (1d8)[2]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    (1d6)[3]
    Just in case some how a 9 hits, it would've been sneak attack for the first axe

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Cross cuts down the larger turtle head.

The sacred flame burns out the rest of the smaller turtle heads.

The ground is littered with crushed and burned out turtle skulls. You note that most of them are skeletal, dead for a very long time. Some of them more recent.

To your surprise there's a small green and pink butterfly fluttering around in the middle of the carnage.

Your team is in the southwest part of the island. Some small amount of rain drops are starting to fall every now and then. Not enough to even call it rain, just a drop here and there.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is everyone alright? Kula you good?

Kula only nods as he steps forward with his hand outstretched, palm up to the butterfly.

Show
    Nature check? (1d20-1)[10]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The butterfly does not behave naturally at all. It starts to flutter around Kula. It mostly circles around his head but occasionally wanders a little bit further away.

Kula feels the butterfly's presence touch something inside of him. He feels more self-assured, more confident and creative.

Show
    As long as the butterfly is attached to Kula, he has a proficiency in deception.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Is that as far west as they can go or is there still more to explore this way?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I'm presuming this means a desire to continue sort of in the same-ish direction.

The team is at the southwest part of the island and now continues northwest.

The swamp gets wetter and you find your feet getting wet at parts. The island is quite small so you find the spot the drunk spoke of with little difficulty. Under about an inch of water there's a spot of black cracked sparkly clay, roughly 3x3 yards in size. You notice that the surrounding plants are faring particularly poorly, as if they were mildly burnt.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    You would be correct, plan was to clear the entire island before heading towards the music.

Cross approaches Angus and asks him for his mace. Before handing the mace to Cross, Angus touches his arm and whispers a quick prayer to aid him. Cross dons his gloves and begins to attempt to break open the clay along the crack.
    Show
    Athletics: (1d20-1)[3]
    Angus casted guidance: (1d4)[3]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

At the first strike of the mace, the clay collapses inwards. Water flows into an empty space under the clay.
    Underneath you catch sight of another small monolith of dark light.

Guarding the monolith are three shark-heads, two smaller and one larger. They fly up through the break you created... And they light up in flames.

The shark heads glide at you.

Show

19 Cross
    15 Angus
    14 Flaming sharks!
    7 Kula
    6 Pike

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cross quickly attacks the nearest flaming shark head with the mace already in his hand.
    Angus taking a step backwards casts sacred flame on the largest of the three.

Show

Cross attack: (1d20+1)[6]
    Cross damage: (1d6-1)[1] bludgeoning
    Sacred Flame: DC 13 Dex save
    Sacred Flame Damage: (1d8)[1] radiant damage