New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Abusing Abilities for Non-Combat Victory

I recently was reviewing some classes and realized that it could be possible to be victorious over an enemy through certain Class Abilities, which brings me to the main question...

What abilities through a class or a feat allow you to overcome you opponent without combat attacks (even special attacks) or through spells (like dominate)?

As an examples,

Emissary of Barachiel has the Calling/Conversion ability that with the right build can be interesting to make sure all you come across would become Good.

Evangelist have the Convert the Unfaithful ability which is similar to the Emissary, but more direct to a certain alignment.

Many Classes receive Turning Undead.

What others do you know?

Ability List:

3e/3.5e
    • Emissary of Barachiel - Calling/Conversion ability
    • Evangelist have the Convert the Unfaithful ability
    • Turn Undead ability
    • Druid/Ranger - Wild Empathy ability
    • Diplomacy
    • Bluff with Glibness

D20
    • Thief - Capstone class ability for Bluff
    • Ruthless Agent Investigator - 11th Level Geas Ability (Pathfinder)
    Last edited by MR_Anderson; 2021-01-19 at 08:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Abusing Abilities for Non-Combat Victory

Diplomacy optimization is the classic one. On that note, Wild Empathy
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The capstone class ability of a thief in Iron Heroes lets you automatically succeed on a bluff check for one round, which is enough to get the enemy to hand you a victory if you are creative enough and the circumstances allow. It basically is how Bugs Bunny messes with most of his opponents.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2021-01-09 at 01:58 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Diplomacy optimization is the classic one. On that note, Wild Empathy
    Diplomacy is actually how I found Emissary & Evangelist, I really like the skill, and it was the reason I started this thread to find abilities that would allow a similar effect to that skill.

I had a character that had an unreasonably high Diplomacy and the DM didn’t like it, which didn’t bother me, but the other players got tired of less combat encounters, so I saved it for times really needed to save the party, or when it served to further the adventure. Basically he was a character that couldn’t be touched, and could talk his way out of anything that might be able to kill him. He also wasn’t really an offensive out put so the DM kind of overlooked his invincibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    The capstone class ability of a thief in Iron Heroes lets you automatically succeed on a bluff check for one round, which is enough to get the enemy to hand you a victory if you are creative enough and the circumstances allow. It basically is how Bugs Bunny messes with most of his opponents.
    This is funny, thank you for posting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

If you like the Evangelist ability, also note:

* It is not mind-affecting.

* It is not language-dependent; you may use pantomimes.

* Although there are provisions for what happens when the duration ends, there is actually no listed duration, so it technically lasts forever.

It is a very poorly-worded ability, to be sure, that ends up inordinately more powerful if your DM doesn't nerf it with a house rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like you're looking for the Cards Over Swords feat, which allows you to resolve combats by challenging your enemies to a card game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Stealth, I suppose? If they never know you're there, you can get the loot/access without ever being detected and grab XP at the same time.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Sounds like you're looking for the Cards Over Swords feat, which allows you to resolve combats by challenging your enemies to a card game.
    This is fairly amazing, actually... Though it is bound to get some books thrown at you.

9. - Top - End - #9

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

The glibness spell ain't an auto-success on a bluff check, but comes very close.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

For Pathfinder, there's the bonkers 11th level ability of the Ruthless Agent Investigator that lets you Geas somebody once per day as a Full Round action.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-01-13 at 05:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thrallherd can enslave you if you happen to be susceptible to his ability to enthrall random people. Also, hostages.

Doesn't always work, however.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-01-13 at 10:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can not find this.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    Stealth, I suppose? If they never know you're there, you can get the loot/access without ever being detected and grab XP at the same time.
    I guess, but then there is always simple detection spells, then non detection counters. Just because there are so many ways to stealth and so many ways to prevent it, I will leave it off the list, unless someone can provide a detailed thread discussing this topic, then I will link it.

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    This is fairly amazing, actually... Though it is bound to get some books thrown at you.
    Cards Over Swords feat, was unable to be found by my searches, can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    Vow of Peace (feat)
    +
    Apostle of Peace (prc)
    I don’t see how this works and is a victory condition, can you explain please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    The glibness spell ain't an auto-success on a bluff check, but comes very close.
    I really like Glibness, and have wanted to base a character around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    For Pathfinder, there's the bonkers 11th level ability of the Ruthless Agent Investigator that lets you Geas somebody once per day as a Full Round action.
    Wasn’t looking for Pathfinder myself, but I will track it. I will assume you are correct on this, as I do not know pathfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Thrallherd can enslave you if you happen to be susceptible to his ability to enthrall random people. Also, hostages.

Doesn't always work, however.
    This is a non targeting ability, and while I believe that it could absolutely be used for victory, the thralls would have the fight. As a DM, I would never allow someone to gain control of a key enemy or an enemy to take a player in this way.

Your point is absolutely valid, and while I thank you very much for bringing this idea I don’t think it should be on the list, unless you can give me a reason I am missing how to abuse this for non-combat victory.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by MR_Andersom View Post
    This is a non targeting ability, and while I believe that it could absolutely be used for victory, the thralls would have the fight. As a DM, I would never allow someone to gain control of a key enemy or an enemy to take a player in this way.

Your point is absolutely valid, and while I thank you very much for bringing this idea I don’t think it should be on the list, unless you can give me a reason I am missing how to abuse this for non-combat victory.
    Well, thrallherd does allow you to choose the race, class, and certain other details for your thralls. So if the one you're going up against is fairly unique, and is of the right level to be a minion, just specify the same class and race, and...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MR_Andersom View Post
    Cards Over Swords feat, was unable to be found by my searches, can you help?
    It was on the WotC website as a Web Enhancmenet for Three Dragon Ante.

More info here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...web-supplement

And here's my winning IC entry that focused on it: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...9&postcount=61

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Any feat or race that lets you select charm person as a spell-like ability.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Swashbuckler 4 dead level: seduce to learn secret

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@MR_Andersom
    Explanation:

Vow of Peace:
    1. You are Constantly affected by a Calm Emotion aura.
    2. Manufactured Weapon you try to attack you must make a save roll first or shatter on your skin, leaving no effect.

Apostle of Peace:
    Requires the Vow of Peace feat, so the effects are included in this prc.
    At lvl 2 an AoP gets Pacifying Touch. At will ability, no save nor SR, touch a creature to apply a similar effect to calm emotions (similar is not the same, and as such stacks with the aura).

You clear all desire to fight. What else you can want to win without fighting.

19. - Top - End - #19

@MR_Andersom
    Explanation:

Vow of Peace:
    1. You are Constantly affected by a Calm Emotion aura.
    2. Manufactured Weapon you try to attack you must make a save roll first or shatter on your skin, leaving no effect.

Apostle of Peace:
    Requires the Vow of Peace feat, so the effects are included in this prc.
    At lvl 2 an AoP gets Pacifying Touch. At will ability, no save nor SR, touch a creature to apply a similar effect to calm emotions (similar is not the same, and as such stacks with the aura).

You clear all desire to fight. What else you can want to win without fighting.
    "I might not be angry at you, but you've been getting in my way and keep mind-raping me, and for that you should die."
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-01-20 at 12:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"I might not be angry at you, but you've been getting in my way and keep mind-raping me, and for that you should die."
    Nope you don't:
    Quote Originally Posted by Calm Emotions
    Creatures so affected cannot take violent actions (although they can defend themselves) or do anything destructive.
    Calm Emotions forbids any violent or destructive "actions". As such, even if you argue that you have the "calm desire to kill me", you may not take any "action" in doing so. Not even the "action" of commanding others to kill.

edit: you can still outplay an apostle of peace (depends on his build, but we only assume a generic build here). Don't get in range and attack with a spell from distance.
    Imho it is still a good tool for builds who want to prevent combat as much as they can.

21. - Top - End - #21

Nope you don't:

Calm Emotions forbids any violent or destructive "actions". As such, even if you argue that you have the "calm desire to kill me", you may not take any "action" in doing so. Not even the "action" of commanding others to kill.

edit: you can still outplay an apostle of peace (depends on his build, but we only assume a generic build here). Don't get in range and attack with a spell from distance.
    Imho it is still a good tool for builds who want to prevent combat as much as they can.
    "It's a mercy killing. It's a kindness, really."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"It's a mercy killing. It's a kindness, really."
    lol^^ nice try

edit: I know, apostle is hated. Because no other character build likes to have you on his team. I never played one either^^