New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Savage Tides, Take 3, Out of Character Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Akula's Hook

The deck was slippery of the small sloop and the low hooting of the strange winged howler monkeys in the cages competed with the squawking of the tropical birds and the grunting of the crocodiles in their cramped cages. Ignoring the animals in packed hold of the vessel three burly darfallen moved down the decking, harpoons and knives in hand. Akula looked left and right to Ootiliktik and Shooki!alui a few clicks to indicate that they were to flank the door before he threw the door open.

"Procan's waves.." he mutters as the light of a single torch illumes the room beyond. A half dozen blankets are scattered around the room each with a terrified looking human child curled up in terror as the black and white patterned figures with sharp fangs and blood stained harpoons bursting into the room. Akula looks at Ootiliktik and shrugs... "What do we do now? The other pirate scum will be back soon?" Gazing out over the waves they can see nothing in the twighlight but they know the ships of the crimson fleet will be looking for the missing vessel. With a heavy sigh Shooki!alui gathers up the oars of the smal ship's dinghy and gestures to the children. Before long with some gentle coaxing Akula, Shooki!alui and Ootiliktik are in the dinghy rowing hard away from the deserted schooner leaving the animals and several dead pirates behind. Akula looks at the others clicking and whistling in Aquan to not scare the children - "When they said treasure, I was meaning gold not humans"...

Reaching the lights of Sasserine they glide into the bay and the harbour, a tarpaulin thrown over the small children who are shivering in the cool sea air despite the tropical climate. Pulling into the shore the 3 large Darfellan bang elbows in success. "A good raid, another blow against the Crimson Fleet, much honour for the N'Kuttik. Now..." he pauses as he helps pluck the children from the boat and onto the stinking quay, "What in the name of the Gods do we do with these 6...."
    Tillandi had taken a late-night stroll at the docks. She liked the ocean, especially at night when there wasn't a lot of people and things were calm. Just the soft waves and the phosphorescence of it was quite pleasant. When she saw a ship coming in, she just waited to see the effects on the ocean. She was still standing there when she saw them offloading children. Or at least what she thought. Making sure that she had her trident and shield ready, so moved closer. Of course, no city watch in sight just when you need one, but she couldn't let slavers go free. As she came closer, she noticed there were six children and three Darfallen.
    "What's going on here," she asked, "who are you and what are you doing with those children?"
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Spoiler: Hook; Spoiler for length
    Show
    "...and so everybody knows Jamis was caught sneaking out of the servants quarters in his underwear! He's barely shown his face for a week!" Kayla laughs, picking a blouse out of the market stall and posing with it as the merchant hovers hopefully. "How about this one?"

"Oh no!" Cordelia laughs, stroking Kitten's head as she sits patiently waiting for her people to move on. "And the week before there was the incident with the octopus... If I were him I think I'd give up and just hide forever! Yes, I think that suits you much better. I like the sleeves, and the the way the stitching is done round the neck."

"Ah! Well I think I'll buy it then. Here, two gold crowns?" Kayla places the coins on the stall, much to the merchant's obsequious thanking. "That just leaves a hat for this afternoon," she comments as the two resume strolling through the market, Kitten weaving delicately around their legs as they make their way through the Freeday crowds. "You should count yourself lucky Henry doesn't make you go to all of these things, Dee," Kayla laments.

"Haha, well he would if he could!" Cordelia laughs. "And I wouldn't mind being invited a bit more often, you know? I quite enjoy an afternoon tea occasionally. Oh! I think I see a hat stall over there!"

"Oh yes! Good spot. We should be done soon then, and we can meet Lorna at Best Bait for lunch." The two start to make their way in the direction of the stall, their progress slow through the heavy crowds. As they go Kayla picks up on Cordelia's compliant. "It's not fair though, Dee. I wish the others made more effort to include you. We were all so close at the academy. You'd think Ailuin at least-"

"Look, forget I said anything," Cordelia interrupts, hugging her stomach defensively. Kitten looks up, sensing the change in atmosphere. "I know it's difficult to be seen to fraternise with the help. Just ask Jamis," she finishes bitterly as Kayla puts an arm around her shoulders for a sympathetic hug. Suddenly out of the corner of her eye she gets the sense of something watching her. Behind a nearby animal-hide stall a tiny dog in the smallest cage imaginable and miserable conditions looks up at Cordelia with pleading eyes. Quickly glancing at the stallkeeper she confirms he's distracted with a customer.

"Hey. Kayla." Cordelia says, alerting her friend to the tiny watcher with a nod. "I'll catch up with you in a moment. I need to get this."

Kayla catches Cordelia's line of sight and squeezes her arm when she notices where she's looking. "Go for it Dee! Just be careful, it's busy. I'll see you at the hats."

As Kayla continues on with a nervous backwards glance, Cordelia waits for a break in the crowd before ducking into the gap between stalls, crouching in beside the tiny cage, Kitten slinking stealthily behind her.

"Hey... hey... look at you! Aren't you adorable!" she whispers quietly as the dog jumps up excitedly, and she fumbles with the cage's catch. "Shh! Shh! You'll get us both caught! Ok... there!"

The cage door releases and Cordelia opens it slowly, checking that the stall owner is occupied, but the dog is immediately out and jumping and licking her in the face! Kitten swishes her tail amusedly. "Haha! There you go! Come on, let's get you... oh! You're still tied! Let me just get tha-"

Shhhnk!

As Cordelia reaches in to the back of the cage to unhook the dog a previously unnoticed trap mechanism springs shut, trapping her hand. "OW!" She gives it an experimental tug, but her hand and the cage are stuck fast even as the grateful dog still jumps and licks her face. Looking up, she sees the stallholder is finishing with his customer and her blood runs cold. Discovery is just seconds away!
    Development: Good Intentions, Esoteric Methods

Ah, the market. Nothing quite like the manic scrambling for more money and power, Firi'sar wonders to himself as he presses through the throngs. One hand on his pursestrings (burn me twice and all that!) he wanders mostly aimlessly. He's already made his sale, and isn't in the market for any substantial purchases at the moment. Still, frowning at the smell of a nearby fish stall, he can't help but feel oddly at ease in a place like this. As unsavory as it might be, it's honest. And people aren't genuinely honest very often.

Almost as if on queue, the lithe Elf's eyes are drawn to a young lady, clearly up to no good- or at least not wanting to draw attention. When you know what to look for, it's almost like they just tell you they're misbehaving! Well, if she wants to avoid attention, I should probably pay her some. Say, that's the girl from the other night? He frowns thoughtfully. Casually strolling through a handful of stalls such to keep himself behind her left ear and her in his line of vision, the Elf watches her surreptitiously as she prowls ever towards her quarry. He moves a shirt "to see it in better light," and finally lays eyes on her prize. Ah, that makes sense. She did seem like quite the bleeding heart. He smirks, perfectly content to let her do what she will- almost certainly here to free the puppy, unless I've woefully lost my touch....

She starts suddenly, and Firi'sar frowns. He wastes no time, and crosses the narrow street in maybe 4 strides, tucking one hand into his shirt coat as he goes. "There you are, Stanley. A distraction, if you please?" he whispers, as he bends down to lower the rat he just retrieved to his own boot. With a deft flick, the rat sails a few feet, landing gracelessly on the ground just behind the shopowner. You simply must learn to stick the landing, groans the Elf, inwardly. Still, Stanley the Rat rises to his full height of maybe 6 inches, and with an expression that says he understands more than he should, turns away from his master, and scampers up the shopkeeper's leg.

Predictably, the man flips his metaphorical table. Firi'sar, meanwhile, ducks behind the next. "Wonderful afternoon for a little freedom fighting, wouldn't you say?" he whispers to the trapped girl as he all-but materializes from the crowd beside her. "Cordelia, isn't it?" he purrs with a smirk, as his hands once more disappear into his coat. This time, they return with a pair of simple picks, and for the first time his thoughts take a break to focus on the task at hand. "Don't move if you want to keep the hand," he mutters, tinkering with a mechanism cleverly hidden in the back of the cage. He glances at Cordelia for just a moment, eyes twinkling with amusement. "How'd he even make room for that in this tiny cage?" the Elf gripes. With a quiet click, the mechanism opens, and Cordelia's hand is released.

Firi'sar looks up with a smile, that melts into dismay almost immediately. "Oh dear, that's a problem." The overpowering odor of scented smoke assaults the pair's nostril, and a quick glance confirms that an entire table of sweet incenses is going up in flames where the shopowner knocked one over amidst the hubbub. With a twang, strings supporting the broad canvas canopies snap, weakened by the flames. A grand thud drowns out the rest of the noise as the canopies fall, smothering the flames and threatening to do likewise to the shoppers and storeowners within a dozen paces in either direction.

Struggling to keep his breath under the heavy, confining fabric, Firi'sar grunts with exertion. "That was a joke about the hand."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

The deck was slippery of the small sloop and the low hooting of the strange winged howler monkeys in the cages competed with the squawking of the tropical birds and the grunting of the crocodiles in their cramped cages. Ignoring the animals in packed hold of the vessel three burly darfallen moved down the decking, harpoons and knives in hand. Akula looked left and right to Ootiliktik and Shooki!alui a few clicks to indicate that they were to flank the door before he threw the door open.

"Procan's waves.." he mutters as the light of a single torch illumes the room beyond. A half dozen blankets are scattered around the room each with a terrified looking human child curled up in terror as the black and white patterned figures with sharp fangs and blood stained harpoons bursting into the room. Akula looks at Ootiliktik and shrugs... "What do we do now? The other pirate scum will be back soon?" Gazing out over the waves they can see nothing in the twighlight but they know the ships of the crimson fleet will be looking for the missing vessel. With a heavy sigh Shooki!alui gathers up the oars of the smal ship's dinghy and gestures to the children. Before long with some gentle coaxing Akula, Shooki!alui and Ootiliktik are in the dinghy rowing hard away from the deserted schooner leaving the animals and several dead pirates behind. Akula looks at the others clicking and whistling in Aquan to not scare the children - "When they said treasure, I was meaning gold not humans"...

Reaching the lights of Sasserine they glide into the bay and the harbour, a tarpaulin thrown over the small children who are shivering in the cool sea air despite the tropical climate. Pulling into the shore the 3 large Darfellan bang elbows in success. "A good raid, another blow against the Crimson Fleet, much honour for the N'Kuttik. Now..." he pauses as he helps pluck the children from the boat and onto the stinking quay, "What in the name of the Gods do we do with these 6...."
    Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Tillandi had taken a late-night stroll at the docks. She liked the ocean, especially at night when there wasn't a lot of people and things were calm. Just the soft waves and the phosphorescence of it was quite pleasant. When she saw a ship coming in, she just waited to see the effects on the ocean. She was still standing there when she saw them offloading children. Or at least what she thought. Making sure that she had her trident and shield ready, so moved closer. Of course, no city watch in sight just when you need one, but she couldn't let slavers go free. As she came closer, she noticed there were six children and three Darfallen.
    "What's going on here," she asked, "who are you and what are you doing with those children?"
    Resolution: Sticks his Face in it

"I think I can answer that best," pipes up a reedy voice from the base of the next pier. As he approaches, the dark-haired form of an unreasonably lithe Elf passes through a few lamps, apparently unhindered by the deep darkness between. "This fellow's a Darfellan, as I'm sure you can see for yourself. They're a generally peaceful folk, but ah shall we say they respond particularly to oppression?" The Elf turns to one of the trio helping the kids scramble ashore. He bows shallowly, maybe apologetically? "My Aquan is sorely lacking, some would say- unless I'm mistaken you're of the N'Kuttik clan? I'm afraid we've never met directly, but I'm familiar with your people's plight. I would simply love to get to know you better, if you're willing."

The Elf turns back to the Half-Elf, and bows again. His hands wide and empty, he begins to speak. "I'm Firi'Sar Throshana. And these people almost certainly rescued those children." He glances over his shoulder and notes their acknowledgement. Taking a step back, so as to more easily address both groups, he pipes up once more. "I happen to also be, ah, well acquainted with the matron of the Emerald Waters orphanage. With any luck, we'll be able to reunite some of them with their families here, but it's late and in the meantime they'll need a bed and a meal." The children's own sorry state suggests they've been taken somewhere else and kept in horrendous quarters for some time. A few of them look up eagerly at mention of food, but most are too shaken or tired to even do that.

"If you'd care to walk with me, I'll be happy to lead them there myself- and you as well, even if only for assurance." The lithe man extends his elbow to Tiliandi, apparently prepared to literally lead her, should she care to go.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Akula's Hook

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Resolution: Sticking his Face in

"I think I can answer that best," pipes up a reedy voice from the base of the next pier. As he approaches, the dark-haired form of an unreasonably lithe Elf passes through a few lamps, apparently unhindered by the deep darkness between. "This fellow's a Darfellan, as I'm sure you can see for yourself. They're a generally peaceful folk, but ah shall we say they respond particularly to oppression?" The Elf turns to one of the trio helping the kids scramble ashore. He bows shallowly, maybe apologetically? "My Aquan is sorely lacking, some would say- unless I'm mistaken you're of the N'Kuttik clan? I'm afraid we've never met directly, but I'm familiar with your people's plight. I would simply love to get to know you better, if you're willing."

The Elf turns back to the Half-Elf, and bows again. His hands wide and empty, he begins to speak. "I'm Firi'Sar Throshana. And these people almost certainly rescued those children." He glances over his shoulder and notes their acknowledgement. Taking a step back, so as to more easily address both groups, he pipes up once more. "I happen to also be, ah, well acquainted with the matron of the Emerald Waters orphanage. With any luck, we'll be able to reunite some of them with their families here, but it's late and in the meantime they'll need a bed and a meal." The children's own sorry state suggests they've been taken somewhere else and kept in horrendous quarters for some time. A few of them look up eagerly at mention of food, but most are too shaken or tired to even do that.

"If you'd care to walk with me, I'll be happy to lead them there myself- and you as well, even if only for assurance." The lithe man extends his elbow to Tiliandi, apparently prepared to literally lead her, should she care to go.
    Tillandi knew the elf and she relaxed.
    "Of course," she said, "and if I can help in finding back parents, please do let me know.
    Then she turns to the three darfallen and switched to Aquan.
    "My name is Tillandi, priestess of Procan," she introduced herself, "my apologies, but you can't be too careful these days."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The Hook (Briiiings you BAAAaaaaAAACK):

Sword at his side- it's all the rage, you know, Firi'Sar saunters in like he owns the place- which he might as well as much coin as he's spent there. The oddly named 'Shivering Cat' tavern sits close to even between the Emerald Waters orphanage and Firi'Sar's apartment, and as such has become a fairly regular prowling ground for the burgeoning merchant. Not content to peddle lesser wares in Shadowshore for the entirety of whatever brief existence it would offer, Firi'Sar has found over time that the wealthy both have more money and are often less keen about parting with it. In fact, most of their vices were legal in Sasserine, so the action was more lucrative and safer! Thus, with a heavier purse than usual, and a conspicuously empty backpack, the lithe spell caster/scientist sidles up to the bar to enjoy the evening meal.

The evening wanes, as it does, into night, and a somewhat less stable Firi'Sar wanders into the moonlight. Unhindered by the darkness, he remains nonetheless quite hindered by the inebriation, and almost steps into the harbor several times making his way to the water taxi that will take him to the merchant district- it's usually quite a bit faster than walking the long way, especially in this state. Wait. That's not Stephen. Firi'sar wonders, with a scowl. He wonders a bit longer than he should, and when he turns, there's a pair of ruffians quickly closing the distance from the rear. "Come now, I'm shure we can make an amenable arrangement," he offers, raising his hands placatingly. "You have any idea how long that coin would last us?" one of them growls. No one bares a blade, but (at least) 3 on 1... well maybe 1/2 was never going to be a fair fight. After a long couple moments of sizing each other up, Firi'sar recognizes one of the ruffians- more a kid really. Just left the orphanage last year.

Suddenly, betrayal joins the war for Firi'Sar's thoughts, and it seems unlikely the Elf is going to win the battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Cordelia hurries along Crown Street towards the Gondala Station with her head bowed in thought and Kitten trotting alongside. She's wondering how she's going to explain to her father why she's so late back and where she's been. Obviously she can't tell him she was shadowing a party of poachers into the jungle south of Sunrise. They hadn't been very successful, which was good because it meant she hadn't had to intervene at all, but it had meant they'd roamed further than expected and their progress had slowed to a crawl in the jungle after sunset and now it's very late. Fortunately she's always been good at moving through the jungles or she'd be in as sorry a state as the poachers. The little bit of mud she and kitten have picked up will be swiftly fixed by a paddle in the lagoon. Even so, she'd dressed for the heat of the jungle and now in the cool of the night she lets out an involuntary shiver. And there's still what she's going to tell her father.

So absorbed is Cordelia in thought that she doesn't even notice when Kitten stops dead in her tracks and starts letting out a low growl. A step later she walks straight into what feels like a brick wall.

"What the-?"
    "Ah!"

A muscular arm wraps around Cordelia's neck and she feels her arms pinned to her sides. Only now does she become aware of the two other thugs and the rather startled looking man

"Hey boss, I've caught another one! She's got fancy clothes!"
    "Yeah, but she's got a... a thing with her! Get her to call it off!"

Kitten is nearly going nuts at the threat to Cordelia's safety, a hissing, hackles-raised, snarling ball of threat.

"Oh sh-" The thug loosens his grip on Cordelia's neck slightly. "Yeah, call it off!"
    "L... let me go... or you'll regret it..." she forces out.
    "Oh yeah? You think your little cat is going to s-... Ngh!" the ruffian stumbles back, dazed by Cordelia's psychic attack. In the same moment Kitten lunges at their leader and the stand off descends into a general melee.

Tillandi was walking on the market. She had been asked to take over teaching some of the novices and it was clear that being a good priestess didn't necesseraly mean that you're also a good teacher. After the lesson finished, she had decided to take a little stroll to clear her head. She was just wandering aimlesly when she heard some commotion. Taking her trident and shield, she went to see what is was all about. She noticed that there were a few ruffians were attacking a girl who apparently had a large cat and that young man who supported the orphanage. As an orphan herself (although having been raised in the temple) she rather liked what he was doing, so she had to help him.

Luckily for him she had wanted to teach the novices some spells but hadn't gotten that far in the lesson, so she still had them memorised. Grabbing her trident with her shield hand so she had a hand free, she started casting and blasted a 15 foot cone of fire into the air to get their attention.
    "Okay punks," she said to the rufians, "I'll give you one chance to run off, before I blast you to the next world."
    "We're in between these," one of the attackers said, pointing at Cordelia and Firi'Sar.
    "Correct," Tillandi replied, "but as cleric, I can heal as well. And I can put you on the blacklist of all churches in this city. Is it really worth it?"
    "Well...," the guy said, but Tillandi interupted him.
    "Wrong answer," she said, starting to cast again, "now run."

She knew the spell didn't work for everyone, but this time it did and eyes wide in fear, the leader ran off. The rest of the gang looked at the Tillandi, Cordelia, Kitten and Firi'Sar and decided they had an important engagement elsewhere and were now going to find out exactly what it was. When they too had run off, she looked at the others.
    "Tillandi, cleric of Procan, at your service," she said, "I'm sorry for the dramatic, but it wasn't only to intimidate those idiots. Someone will have seen that and I'm sure the city guard will arrive shortly to assist."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Akula's Hook

Resolution: Sticking his Face in

Tillandi knew the elf and she relaxed.
    "Of course," she said, "and if I can help in finding back parents, please do let me know.
    Then she turns to the three darfallen and switched to Aquan.
    "My name is Tillandi, priestess of Procan," she introduced herself, "my apologies, but you can't be too careful these days."

Akula looked at the elf and the young priestess carefully appraising them before nodding. And replying in a soft aquan. "Aye. my thanks from the sea. We fished these minnows away from pirates but they are not of the tribe. My mother I think knows of you" he says nodding to Tilandi, and he looks with more suspicion at the elf, "You know much, but if you can care for these children then you you have my thanks and a debt owed." Pushing the terrified children towards the elf, he nods "Know we of the N'Kuttik owe you a favour."
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-01-17 at 06:33 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cordelia's Hook

The Opening

"...and so everybody knows Jamis was caught sneaking out of the servants quarters in his underwear! He's barely shown his face for a week!" Kayla laughs, picking a blouse out of the market stall and posing with it as the merchant hovers hopefully. "How about this one?"

"Oh no!" Cordelia laughs, stroking Kitten's head as she sits patiently waiting for her people to move on. "And the week before there was the incident with the octopus... If I were him I think I'd give up and just hide forever! Yes, I think that suits you much better. I like the sleeves, and the the way the stitching is done round the neck."

"Ah! Well I think I'll buy it then. Here, two gold crowns?" Kayla places the coins on the stall, much to the merchant's obsequious thanking. "That just leaves a hat for this afternoon," she comments as the two resume strolling through the market, Kitten weaving delicately around their legs as they make their way through the Freeday crowds. "You should count yourself lucky Henry doesn't make you go to all of these things, Dee," Kayla laments.

"Haha, well he would if he could!" Cordelia laughs. "And I wouldn't mind being invited a bit more often, you know? I quite enjoy an afternoon tea occasionally. Oh! I think I see a hat stall over there!"

"Oh yes! Good spot. We should be done soon then, and we can meet Lorna at Best Bait for lunch." The two start to make their way in the direction of the stall, their progress slow through the heavy crowds. As they go Kayla picks up on Cordelia's compliant. "It's not fair though, Dee. I wish the others made more effort to include you. We were all so close at the academy. You'd think Ailuin at least-"

"Look, forget I said anything," Cordelia interrupts, hugging her stomach defensively. Kitten looks up, sensing the change in atmosphere. "I know it's difficult to be seen to fraternise with the help. Just ask Jamis," she finishes bitterly as Kayla puts an arm around her shoulders for a sympathetic hug. Suddenly out of the corner of her eye she gets the sense of something watching her. Behind a nearby animal-hide stall a tiny dog in the smallest cage imaginable and miserable conditions looks up at Cordelia with pleading eyes. Quickly glancing at the stallkeeper she confirms he's distracted with a customer.

"Hey. Kayla." Cordelia says, alerting her friend to the tiny watcher with a nod. "I'll catch up with you in a moment. I need to get this."

Kayla catches Cordelia's line of sight and squeezes her arm when she notices where she's looking. "Go for it Dee! Just be careful, it's busy. I'll see you at the hats."

As Kayla continues on with a nervous backwards glance, Cordelia waits for a break in the crowd before ducking into the gap between stalls, crouching in beside the tiny cage, Kitten slinking stealthily behind her.

"Hey... hey... look at you! Aren't you adorable!" she whispers quietly as the dog jumps up excitedly, and she fumbles with the cage's catch. "Shh! Shh! You'll get us both caught! Ok... there!"

The cage door releases and Cordelia opens it slowly, checking that the stall owner is occupied, but the dog is immediately out and jumping and licking her in the face! Kitten swishes her tail amusedly. "Haha! There you go! Come on, let's get you... oh! You're still tied! Let me just get tha-"

Shhhnk!

As Cordelia reaches in to the back of the cage to unhook the dog a previously unnoticed trap mechanism springs shut, trapping her hand. "OW!" She gives it an experimental tug, but her hand and the cage are stuck fast even as the grateful dog still jumps and licks her face. Looking up, she sees the stallholder is finishing with his customer and her blood runs cold. Discovery is just seconds away!

Development:
    Good Intentions, Esoteric Methods

Ah, the market. Nothing quite like the manic scrambling for more money and power, Firi'sar wonders to himself as he presses through the throngs. One hand on his pursestrings (burn me twice and all that!) he wanders mostly aimlessly. He's already made his sale, and isn't in the market for any substantial purchases at the moment. Still, frowning at the smell of a nearby fish stall, he can't help but feel oddly at ease in a place like this. As unsavory as it might be, it's honest. And people aren't genuinely honest very often.

Almost as if on queue, the lithe Elf's eyes are drawn to a young lady, clearly up to no good- or at least not wanting to draw attention. When you know what to look for, it's almost like they just tell you they're misbehaving! Well, if she wants to avoid attention, I should probably pay her some. Say, that's the girl from the other night? He frowns thoughtfully. Casually strolling through a handful of stalls such to keep himself behind her left ear and her in his line of vision, the Elf watches her surreptitiously as she prowls ever towards her quarry. He moves a shirt "to see it in better light," and finally lays eyes on her prize. Ah, that makes sense. She did seem like quite the bleeding heart. He smirks, perfectly content to let her do what she will- almost certainly here to free the puppy, unless I've woefully lost my touch....

She starts suddenly, and Firi'sar frowns. He wastes no time, and crosses the narrow street in maybe 4 strides, tucking one hand into his shirt coat as he goes. "There you are, Stanley. A distraction, if you please?" he whispers, as he bends down to lower the rat he just retrieved to his own boot. With a deft flick, the rat sails a few feet, landing gracelessly on the ground just behind the shopowner. You simply must learn to stick the landing, groans the Elf, inwardly. Still, Stanley the Rat rises to his full height of maybe 6 inches, and with an expression that says he understands more than he should, turns away from his master, and scampers up the shopkeeper's leg.

Predictably, the man flips his metaphorical table. Firi'sar, meanwhile, ducks behind the next. "Wonderful afternoon for a little freedom fighting, wouldn't you say?" he whispers to the trapped girl as he all-but materializes from the crowd beside her. "Cordelia, isn't it?" he purrs with a smirk, as his hands once more disappear into his coat. This time, they return with a pair of simple picks, and for the first time his thoughts take a break to focus on the task at hand. "Don't move if you want to keep the hand," he mutters, tinkering with a mechanism cleverly hidden in the back of the cage. He glances at Cordelia for just a moment, eyes twinkling with amusement. "How'd he even make room for that in this tiny cage?" the Elf gripes. With a quiet click, the mechanism opens, and Cordelia's hand is released.

Firi'sar looks up with a smile, that melts into dismay almost immediately. "Oh dear, that's a problem." The overpowering odor of scented smoke assaults the pair's nostril, and a quick glance confirms that an entire table of sweet incenses is going up in flames where the shopowner knocked one over amidst the hubbub. With a twang, strings supporting the broad canvas canopies snap, weakened by the flames. A grand thud drowns out the rest of the noise as the canopies fall, smothering the flames and threatening to do likewise to the shoppers and storeowners within a dozen paces in either direction.

Struggling to keep his breath under the heavy, confining fabric, Firi'sar grunts with exertion. "That was a joke about the hand."
    Akula paused on the docks. He turned, pushing a couple of grizzled looking fishermen out of the way as he caught a glimpse of red hair and a patch of white fur by her side. "there she is, the girl from the beast cages!" he thought. Turning abruptly he hurried after her, trying to manage the task of looking subtle in the crowd (hard for a towering man with skin like that of a killer whale) and keeping her in view.

Despite only having seen her once he still remembered the vivid life in her eyes that had distracted him that night many weeks ago. He caught sight of her again as she vanished into a clothiers stall. Salt's tears he curses to himself, dismayed by the bad luck of losing her in the press of freeday crowds and turns to leave. Then as he starts to head back towards the grim and filhy slums of Shadowshore there is shouts and a commotion behind him

Turning he looks just in time to catch sight of the young lady, and with no other than the odd elf who had taken the orphans off him many moons ago. The tent caught fire and fell, covering them both. With a a shout he ran towards them, a focus on the power of Procan as he summoned the blessings of the god, water spraying from oustretched hands over the burning tent nearest to where she had been.

Dragging out his serrated diving knife he hacked at the now soaking fabric peeling it back to reveal the elf, Firi'Sar, and the girl. Offering her a still dripping hand he grins wide, sharp fangs exposed. "Greetings mysterious girl. We meet again in strange circumstances, some out from the tent there, bring your pets as well." he suggests, lifting her with a hand offering to take her strange pet dog. To the elf he nods, "We meet in an usual way again, how are the children?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Tillandi was walking on the market. She had been asked to take over teaching some of the novices and it was clear that being a good priestess didn't necesseraly mean that you're also a good teacher. After the lesson finished, she had decided to take a little stroll to clear her head. She was just wandering aimlesly when she heard some commotion. Taking her trident and shield, she went to see what is was all about. She noticed that there were a few ruffians were attacking a girl who apparently had a large cat and that young man who supported the orphanage. As an orphan herself (although having been raised in the temple) she rather liked what he was doing, so she had to help him.

Luckily for him she had wanted to teach the novices some spells but hadn't gotten that far in the lesson, so she still had them memorised. Grabbing her trident with her shield hand so she had a hand free, she started casting and blasted a 15 foot cone of fire into the air to get their attention.
    "Okay punks," she said to the rufians, "I'll give you one chance to run off, before I blast you to the next world."
    "We're in between these," one of the attackers said, pointing at Cordelia and Firi'Sar.
    "Correct," Tillandi replied, "but as cleric, I can heal as well. And I can put you on the blacklist of all churches in this city. Is it really worth it?"
    "Well...," the guy said, but Tillandi interupted him.
    "Wrong answer," she said, starting to cast again, "now run."

She knew the spell didn't work for everyone, but this time it did and eyes wide in fear, the leader ran off. The rest of the gang looked at the Tillandi, Cordelia, Kitten and Firi'Sar and decided they had an important engagement elsewhere and were now going to find out exactly what it was. When they too had run off, she looked at the others.
    "Tillandi, cleric of Procan, at your service," she said, "I'm sorry for the dramatic, but it wasn't only to intimidate those idiots. Someone will have seen that and I'm sure the city guard will arrive shortly to assist."
    Firi'sar raises a hand to object, more stably than his state would suggest reasonable. As he does so, he winces, and begins rubbing a bruise on his arm where it will surely be sore for days to come. "You definitely don't need to apologize. That little turd- sorry, uh, kid..." The Elf lapses into silence, staring blankly at the alley the orphan scampered down. "Damnit, he should know better!"

Turning to the newcomer, he gets a good look at her for the first time. "Hah! Miss Tillandi! So good to see you again! No, really! But, ahhh, we should probably be off, no?" He glances back at the girl with the cat. "Thanks for the assist, miss. Gods willing, you'll never need me to return the favor. I... assume you both have safe lodgings? Let's travel together as we may. It seems a night for... unsavory types."

((OOC AGAIN)) As I recall, after the resolution, there's little or no need to continue the in-character descriptions. I added a bit here, just because it felt good to tie it off, and have thoroughly spruced up my initial OOC post. I don't have direct confirmation from DarkOne yet, but I think this is more or less what we did before: All the pieces of Firi'sar's story in one place, with links to the relevant details that formed his development and resolution tidbits.

At a glance, you can easily see all seven of Firi'Sar's "phrases" or descriptions, if you prefer, and with just a little digging there's some in-character action to better flesh out the meaning.

@DrK: if you'd like, I can have Firi'Sar respond to your greeting in Cordelia's hook, but ultimately it's her place to tie it off as she will (assuming she feels the need). The short version is that it will reveal a sad side to the Elf. He doesn't like the need for the orphanage, and easily recognizes it as vastly worse than homes. But he feels deeply that these kids deserve all that he can give them and then more still, and acts accordingly. "Ah, well.... They'd be better at home, but they're cared for and fed, yeah?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Cooperative writing Tillandi

Tillandi was walking along the waterfront. She had just participated in the launching of a new whaling ship, asking for the blessing of Procan and allowing it to sail on His ocean. Now she was on her way back to the temple, when she suddenly spotted a man walking into an alley. She didn't know his name, but she would recognise his face anywhere. He had been part of the pirate crew which had been responsible for the death of Sanga. While she had her trident with her, she was currently in robes. But she wouldn't let that stop her. She didn't see any guards at that moment, but she went after him. As she entered the alley, she saw him speaking to someone else.
    "Mister," she called out, "two years ago, you were part of a pirate crew attacking the Storm Witch. Now you will be judged for that act."
    "Is that so," the pirate said, turning around and drawing his sword, while his companion did the same. Tillandi was up against two people now.
    Akula stood in the shadowy alleyway waiting for Blanka to arrive. The night had been good, the pit fight had been tough but he'd emerged victorious and the purse of gold on his belt pouch was heavy, something his mother would put to good use feeding the small Darfellan community.

As he looked out over the bay he breathed in the salt filled air, enjoying the waves crashing on the shore. As Blanka entered the alley he looked with distaste at the merchant. "I won the fight Blanks. Pay what you owe." He waited for the purse, impatient to be gone and back to see his friends, they were watching a battle at the Arena later, the "Horns" had captured something new and Auric was due to fight it...

Before he could claim the prize a woman interrupted them. Robed and clutching a trident she spoke with passion. Akula snatched up his harpoon as Blanka drew his sword, then he recognised the lady....

"Tillandi, is that you?", he looks to Blanka and Tillandi. "What's going on, Blanka is a merchant not a pirate..." the woman, a priestess of Procan he had met one dark night on the docks when he was left with a handful of freed children he and some of his clad had rescued
    Resolution

"Dee? Dee?" her companion probes. "Are you listening?"

"Huh? Oh. Sorry Lorna, no. I think I just spotted Tillandi who helped me the other evening," Cordelia apologises, her eyes still glued to the woman who'd walked past the fancy waterfront tavern a moment before. Cordelia puts down her drink, a cool glass of orange, coconut, rum, and various red berries from the jungle. "Excuse me ladies, I just want a quick word. Stay, Kitten, I'll just be a moment."

"All right, but if you're not back soon we'll have your drink!" Kayla giggles, already on her way to tipsy after just a half.

"Allow me to rephrase. Kitten. Guard." Cordelia commands jokingly as she slides off the tall bar stool. On command Kitten sits up and straightens comically to attention. "Good girl. Be right back."

"Kitten!" Cordelia hears Lorna exclaim in mock scandalisation as she departs. "Whose side are you on?"

"Grrrr!"

"Eeeeee!" her friends squeal in play-fright, and Cordelia chuckles to herself at their bit as she hurries to catch up with her rendezvous. Oddly the woman appears to be hurrying herself, and Cordelia is nearly jogging to keep up when Tillandi disappears into an alley. Cordelia arrives just in time to see weapons drawn.

"Tillandi, is that you?" the Darfellan speaks and Cordelia recognises him immediately. "What's going on, Blanka is a merchant not a pirate..."

A pirate?! Cordelia turns her attention to the third figure, appraising him as she tentatively approaches the encounter. Yes, she can see how he'd give that impression. From his burley sailor's arms, cruel sneer, wickedly sharp cutlass...

"Look, on his belt! Captive ties and tanglefoot bags! I don't know about pirate, but he's certainly a slaver!" she accuses. "Oh, and hi Akula, Tillandi," she adds brightly. "Shall we turn him into the watch?"

"Damn the lot of ye!" Blanka curses, dropping his cutlass in resignation and defeat. "Arr, ye've got me. Better the watch than dead."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

thanks. I've added everything to my character post.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have some final questions/requests for everyone and then we can begin!

1. When reading through your (excellent) work on backgrounds and interconnections, several of you noted close friends (and a couple of foes). Please list them on your character sheets so I can reference them. I intend to use some of them throughout our adventures as NPCs, and it helps to have them conveniently found. If they are conveniently located somewhere in Sasserine (like the Darfellan community in Shadowshore) that helps too.

2. One of the common themes that have come up in all of your backgrounds is a tendency to defend the underdogs, including captured exotic animals. In "The Story So Far" you all first rescue a ton of animals from the Vanderboren's ship, the Blue Nixie. They were there against Lady Vanderboren's will, as the smugglers using the ship were essentially stealing it from her. As you write in the IC thread, please share RP that touches upon the events so far. I glossed over the details, but would like all of you to help fill in those details as part of the narrative going forward.

3. I need final details on a party wand of Cure Light Wounds. 750 GP for a fully charged wand. Who paid for it? Thanks!

With all that said, I will be posting a link to the IC thread tonight. Let's get going!

IC Thread

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Woo! Ready to get started!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-30 at 04:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Claw critical confirmation (1d20+6)[11](1d2+1)[2]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Fixing the heal (1d8+1)[8]

And that's another critical threat on the claws (1d20+6)[21](1d2+1)[3]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Damage Bite: (1d4+1)[2]
    Damage Claw: (1d2+1)[2]
    Damage Claw: (1d2+1)[3]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

anything on my knowledge check and perception check?

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

I've been waiting for FarmerBink to post. I can get an IC post up either tonight or tomorrow, though.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Two rounds punching the door...
    (1d20+4)[7] and (1d20+4)[8]

And Initiative (1d20+4)[6]

EDIT: well those rolls sucked
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-03-22 at 05:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

initiative for Tillandi: (1d20+1)[20]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Initiative for Cordelia: (1d20+2)[5]
    Initiative for Kitten: (1d20+5)[11]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think I have the highest initiative, but Tillandi can't act in the surprise round (still hammering at the door), so next one please.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

(1d20+6)[12] FS init

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Kitten's attack:
    (1d20+9)[25]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Claw damage: (1d2+1)[3]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I don't have to cast any spells now, so I'm okay with just bursting through the door.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I'm happy to bust right in and see if we can take the weird spider beast

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

Are you all waiting on me to post to that effect? I was waiting on IC posts from some of you that included action...Do you all want me to roll initiative?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Are you all waiting on me to post to that effect? I was waiting on IC posts from some of you that included action...Do you all want me to roll initiative?
    I'm happy with tha, wasn't casting any spells for this one.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Critical threat (1d20+8)[11] extra dam (2d8+20)[28]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"AHHH" Akula cries out as pincers plunge into his flank and more of his blood pours out onto the cavern floor. "Why would you keep such beasts!" he exclaims before plunging the harpoon forward after looking for a weak spot as Tilandi thankfully tends to the worst of the bleeding.
    I'm not sure where you go this, as Tillandi is currently chopping away at the critters.
    Healing will follow later.