New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Argus Panoptes: A Murder Mystery

"Why wasn't it caught on camera?" Amika asked, coming back to the main room. "Were they in a blind spot, or were there more of these sorts of camera-blocking tricks?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gn0me stared at what she was now considering the fumble cut for a few moments. If this wasn’t a professional murderer than what were they a professional of, to have plotted their relative invisibility so expertly? A practiced killer would have done it in one- unless there was some kind of personal connection between this janitor and the bogey. There could exist a personal connection without John Brown being the main target. She’d have to get a look at the other guy to be sure.

Where is the third body now?” Gn0me questioned, she’d like to take a look at that one as well before a proper autotopsy. In this world you couldn’t trust much but your own eyes. But she didn’t stick around, instead moving on with her tentacles through the open door into the next room where the body of Christoper Larkin was curled up, a real fancy one this time. She leaned in close and gave him a once over.

How did you get here, jack?

Spoiler
    Show
    I’m doing a Treatment roll for Christopher Larkin this time.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Samuel Waters shrugged. "Could be either." He pulled out his tablet again. "I might as well show you."

The tablet showed a low building, with a row of identical doors. Part of the road in front of the building and an alley next to it was visible as well, but no sign of life beyond movement behind a few of the windows. "This is from just before the murder two nights ago." A large automated delivery truck – a logo saying Rosemary's Flowers covering most of its side – pulled into view, blocking most of the building and the alley. "It stopped right in front of our third victim's door." After about a minute of nothing happening on the screen the truck drove away, the building behind it seemingly unchanged. "The records from her implant shows Jeanenne Namera dying about ten minutes later."

He put away the tablet. "There's no footage of anyone exiting the apartment before the drones got there a couple of minutes later. But there's a small window towards an alley in the back – no cameras there – that the murderer might've left through. Hell, maybe entered through as well, for all I know."

"Her body's still where it was found. The death was flagged as probably needing auxes right away, even if Argus didn't spit out your names until..." He gestured towards the bodies of Brown and Lankin.

Spoiler: Treatment (Gn0me)
    Show

Unlike the somewhat neat execution of John Brown, Christopher Lankin's death seems to have been messy. Cindy found four stab wounds in his torso, at least two of them are likely deep enough to have killed him. There was also a cut on his lower left arm, possibly a defensive wound.

Otherwise, Lankin was a little overweight but seemingly in good health.

4. - Top - End - #34

The killer would have to be nimble to have gotten through that small of a window without so much as a peep. Of course, the killer could have used some sort of proxy- a drone either his own or commandeered from the local supply.” Gn0me offered as way of a suggestion, her eyes still focused on the body as she spoke from the other room loud enough to be heard. Naturally she didn’t suggest this was something she was capable of. She extended one of her armored tentacles towards the ceiling so she could get a better look at an overhead view of the body without contaminating the crime scene.

Blood splatter was consistent with what she’d seen on the tape as far as she could tell. She kept darting her eyes over the four distinctive cuts in the chest- which one of you was the first and which one was the murder strike? Defensive wounds.. signs of a struggle. This wasn’t a clean murder. If there wasn’t a third murder Gn0me may think this man was the main target and the janitor merely an unfortunate by-product. But with a third murder; what was the connection?

Gn0me studied a strike she had a gut feeling was what finished the poor bastard which made each other wound rather excessive. Not something an assassin would do. Gn0me dubbed these extra three fatal wounds “I hate you, I hate you, and I hate you” in her mind. It suggested a connection but she’d have to study the third body before then.

Moments later she exited the room reviewing some data on her visor. “Naturally there’s no signs of an tracking implant detected around any of these murders or what would ya need us jokers for. That suggests to me a rather inordinate amount of preparation compared to the level of professionally I’ve seen on the bodies themselves. An individual off the grid. Or they used a robot.” She cast a brief look at the other detective’s robot canine companion. No... couldn’t be that obvious, could it? They were all capable in their field or they wouldn’t be here but why return to the scene?

That or Argus themselves organized the hit but that was just her paranoid conspiracy sense going into overdrive.

If it’s all the same to you folks I think I’d like to take a look at that third stiff. It’s got to be getting a little fragrant by now.
    Last edited by Phobia; 2021-01-21 at 05:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can't think of anything else I can do here," Amika said. "I'm good to go, unless..." She looked to Wolf. "Can our PI think of anything else we should do here?"
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

For the moment, Gato sat in his robot's cockpit, thinking. Pondering. "I don't think it would be a robot, simply because these things aren't exactly the most undetectable. Magnets and electromagnetic fields. Lots of different things that could easily track whatever goes with them. Unless of course, we're dealing with one that is really really advanced. What do they do in this place anyways? Surely their job isn't just to sit around waiting to get stabbed to death right?"

The robot slowly moves around the area. While it did have some weaponry itself, it was all non-lethal and set more for performances.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Samuel Waters let out an uncharacteristic chuckle at the cat's comment. "No, not quite. They are here to analyze and evaluate surveillence data. Most of it's done automatically by Argus – otherwise half the city would be employed to watch footage of the other half – but sometimes it's necessary or desirable for an actual human to take a look, that's what these stations are for. Oh, and to double check samples of the conclusions made by the System, to ensure Argus is working as intended."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Water's last statement gets Jack's attention. "Do you know which decisions were being checked here? It still feels like it can't be a coincidence that our guy who knows how to avoid Argus kills in an Argus facility. Guy must have been here to do something with the system. We know he had to come in here at some point to leave that bootprint I found, so even if he used a drone he still had some business in here."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Amika had a sense of deja vu.

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    "I suppose if who did it isn't clear, there's always why he did it. What is this place, anyway? You mentioned surveillance, so is it Argus related?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    "This is one of the Argus System's substations", Waters explained. "The System reviews most data itself but sometimes it requires human evaluation or review which is done in places like this, there are dozens throughout the city." Foreseeing their next question he added: "As far as I know there's nothing special about this particular station. All data is randomly assigned to different stations, I have no idea what this one might've had at the moment."
    We're going in circles. Here's hoping we get moving soon. To pass the time, Amika started flipping through her digital rolodex, figuring out who could be contacted for relevant inquiries.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

10. - Top - End - #40

Gn0me moves over to meander next to Amika, might as well have some eye candy while she was reviewing things. She kept looking at the pictures she’d taken of the bodies. Her gut was still telling her it was a personal thing based on the amateur murder skills and the amount of wounds.

You think they might have some family to contact, angel face, see if they had anyone wanting them six feet under?” Gn0me idly asked Amika, both to advance the case and as an excuse to enjoy her company.
    Last edited by Phobia; 2021-01-22 at 09:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"For security reasons, the logs of what passes through here are deleted daily, but since the system was locked down after the murders, everything that came here yesterday should still be logged. I'll have Argus send it to you. Though the actual footage or whatever is only uploaded to the tablet of however's assigned to it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'm a little short on time at the moment, but I'll move us along to the next scene later today (it's 1 pm here, so within 12 hours of this post or so).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Forty-two minutes later, three blocks to the south-east

The low building looked like a skyscraper tipped on its side, with identical apartments lined up next to each other. The home of Jeanenne S. Namera was right at the end of the building, identical to its neighbours if not for the drones keeping watch over it.

"Here we are", Samuel Waters said after stepping out of the car. "This is where miss Namera was killed two days ago. The recording I showed was from the camera over there." He pointed at a camera mounted on a nearly identical house across the narrow street. "No cameras inside, so let's go take a look ourselves, shall we?"

He opened the door with his Argus card and entered the small apartment. "It's a bit of a mess, I'm afraid", he said over his shoulder.

The door led directly into a room that took up most of the small apartment, apparently serving as both kitchen and living room. Directly to the right was a dining room table with a single chair and along the right wall was a stove, sink and other assorted kitchen furniture.

On the floor between was the body of a woman, lying on her back. Her throat appeared to have been cut, though much more brutally than the fairly clean cut that had ended John Brown's life, and her face badly beaten to the point that it was barely recognizable as a human face.

Samuel Waters looked almost as pale as the corpse in front of him. "A preliminary scan suggests at least some of her wounds come from a similar blade to the one used on Brown and Lankin." He took a deep breath and regained some of his composure. "Same deal as with the other bodies, we've sprayed her with antidecomp and as soon as you're done here it's off to autopsy."

He turned away from the body and walked into the room ahead. Aside from a bed, most of the room was occupied by several computers, monitors and other equipment. In a corner, there was a trash can smelling of smoke. "Namera was officially unemployed, but she has two convictions for illegally manipulating security systems and was a person of interest in a dozen similar cases. Apparently, she had something of a reputation as a security expert in some circles."

Waters walked back into the main room and past the kitchen, obviously careful not to look at the body, and into the final room of the apartment, a small bathroom. It contained nothing but a sink, a shower and a toilet - currently overflowing with what luckily appeared to be nothing but water.

"Here's the window I mentioned", he said and pointed to the small window in the back of the room. "The alley outside isn't under surveillance, so technically a person might be able to squeeze in or out."

Spoiler: Map of the scene
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

As Jack walks into the room, the Warhound surges past him, sniffing around with quite well-simulated enthusiasm while he listens to Waters. "Pretty obvious why she got killed, then. She must have helped our guy do this ghost act to kill the others, and then they decided it was best to not leave her alive to tell anyone what happened." He frowns when he actually looks at the body, and his gaze doesn't linger long. Jack might be armed, but he still wasn't in the kind of business that led him to many corpses unless something really went wrong. "That's, uh...a lot more than just being practical, though. Killer must really have not liked her. Or maybe they had to beat her up to get her to do her part in this?"
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-24 at 12:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Investigation (Jack/Warhound)
    Show
    The Warhound walked back and forth in the small apartment, seemingly mostly interested in the body on the floor and the trash can that even a human nose could tell contained something recently burnt. Eventually he ended up in the bathroom, glaring at the overflowing toilet. A familiar scent coming from the toilet had caught his interest – blood.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2021-01-26 at 10:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

"Jesus." Gn0me said before taking a big swig out of her flask and putting it back in her coat pocket. Then she was all business, moving over to the corpse of Namera and giving it a thorough inspection. "But she still had a chip, so you can confirm and review her recent activities? Anything suspicious?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm doing another Treatment check.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Samuel Waters relayed Gn0me's request into his Argus card and then pulled out his tablet. "I suppose that depends on what you find suspicious. It seems like miss Namera hadn't left this apartment for over three weeks before the murder." He tapped a few times on the tablet. "Though that doesn't seem that out of the ordinary for her. She has routinely spent days at a time in here, even if three weeks might be a record for her."

Spoiler: Treatment (Gn0me)
    Show
    The cause of death appears to have been a deep cut across her throat and judging by the blood splatter she seems to have already been lying on her back at the time of death. The cut is surrounded by many others, parts of her throat and neck are carved up deep enough to show the Argus implant attached to her spine. Most of the injuries appear to have been inflicted postmortem.

Other than the recent injuries there are also some signs of heavy drug use (but only an autopsy will say for sure), though she still seems to have been in reasonable shape for a woman in her late forties.

17. - Top - End - #47

"I suppose whatever the killer needed her to do didn't need someone out there, just someone working from home." Jack shrugs. This still wasn't exactly the kind of work or thinking he was used to but it felt like he was getting used to it. "Can we have information on the other cases she was involved in? Kinda hard to figure out what she was doing without knowing what she usually does, you know?"

Following the drone into the bathroom, somewhat glad he's not having to look at the body any more, he looks dubiously at the toilet and calls out to the others. "Dog's picked up on blood in the toilet. It's overflowing, so maybe something bloody got stuffed down there and got stuck?" He really didn't want to stick his hand down there.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-31 at 12:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

"Anything before that? Any visitors?" Gn0me asked, already knowing the answer- if she did have visitors they were likely unchipped and used that back window to avoid cameras. "Someone carved this dame up good-" She tried to get one of the other investigator's attention, "-you see there where you can see the implants underneath? Nasty stuff. This was a wild animal more than any human." And she'd sure love to get her hands on them and get this maniac off the street. She'd thought a personal connection or an amateur based on the other bodies but maybe this psycho just loved cutting on people. It was a grim thought indeed. But her gut told her that the killer could have a personal connection to at least two of the victims. But with signs of heavy drug use she knew where her next logical step would be; and that was local drug pushers. If she didn't leave her house in three weeks, and there was no sign of a visitor, but this woman was still using drugs than perhaps the drug-dealer was unchipped as well and if that was the case it made them a primary suspect.

Once she had seen as much of the body as she could stand, Gn0me came over to join Jack and his robopup in the bathroom. "Now that's an odor I don't appreciate. Worse than the stiff outside." She almost wanted to spark up another cigar, both in an attempt to calm her nerves and cover the smell. She took a big gulp from her coat flask instead and then maneuvered one of her cybernetic tentacles over. "I never have to call a plumber." She quipped before plunging the tentacle into the murky awfulness of the toilet and going deep trying to find the obstruction.
    Last edited by Phobia; 2021-02-02 at 01:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

"You think that is bad, you should have my nose!" The cat complained humming as thought over things. "Have either of you ever watch that old movie, Silence of the Lambs? Like no sheep in it, which was kind of a lie, but there was that super bad dude in it. Stole the face off a person to make it look like he was the security guard. Oh and there was another movie where the killer bashed in a persons face cause they felt bad for killing them. Like they couldn't stand having the corpse staring at them. Sort of a Tale Tell Heart sort of thing. Perhaps one of those are the reason here? Maybe this isn't even the person we think is dead, but someone she got a as a double?" He hummed, walking around the apartment in the robot body. He wasn't about to jump down and get his paws in that mess.

"Gross. I hope you clean that tentacle.."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

After checking his tablet, Waters shook his head at Gn0me's question. "No registered visitors going back at least a couple of months, except for automated deliveries. Besides the one on the recording all of them seems to have been from Foodstuff Incorporated. Once a week for at least a year."

Gn0me's tentacle rooted around for a few seconds before pulling two towels that appeared to have been flushed down the toilet only to get stuck in the first bend of the pipe and cause the flooding. Their original colour looked to have been lime green but most of it was covered in blood.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2021-02-03 at 03:00 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

"We'll want to look into Foodstuff Incorporated just to cover our bases if we don't find any juicer leads." Gn0me replied, her focus on pulling the obstruction free. "Looks like our perp made a mess." She said with a wrinkled nose, her soiled tentacle holding both towels afloat above the toilet as the ceramic throne below gurgled and flushed for the first time since the murder, now free.

"Drones were dispatched immediately to the scene once Miss Namera ceased life-lines, am I wrong? Well, looks like the murder tried to clean before he was on his way, but why. He had to know that her death would be detected by the system and she would be discovered anyway and that this location would be swarming with security in moments, just teasing with being caught staying any longer than necessary. Assuming the murder wasn't his only goal he would have precious little time to both clean up after himself and steal some data. Mr. Waters, how long did it take for Argus security to arrive after her death?"
    Last edited by Phobia; 2021-02-03 at 05:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Samuel Waters looked at his tablet again. "Let's see here... her implant stopped transmitting and the first drone entered the apartment four minutes twenty-seven seconds later."

23. - Top - End - #53

"Our killer was able to do that to her and get out without being picked up anywhere that quickly? Guess that means a lot of it was done before she was dead, right? So do you have anything on the cases she was a person of interest in, then?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Gato makes a face of disgust "Please don't say juicer as your digging around in the human poop pool."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Once more looking at his tablet, Waters hummed to himself before speaking up. "Not that much. It gets kinda technical but the short version seems to be that she was suspected of creating some nasty software other people used. Mostly to override electronic locks, some identity theft, illegal transmissions, stuff like that. Aside from the two she was actually convicted of – ten and twelve years ago – it seems like no one had anything solid on her."

26. - Top - End - #56

Jack nods. "If someone with her skills could get access to Argus systems - say, those in the previous building - what do you think she could manage? Feels like someone making software to circumvent security systems and make false identities could do a lot once our guy killed everyone inside the building and could hook whatever he wanted up without any interruptions."

27. - Top - End - #57

"I think we've learned all we can from the crime scene itself." Gn0me started, trying not to let a smile tease the edge of her lips at Gato's comment, mostly because a laugh would cause a deep intake of air that she didn't really want in this environment. Her tentacles deposited the soiled towels back into the bowl, for safe-keeping, now that they knew what they were. "What do the rest of you think our next move should be? If they have gotten this ability from our victim here, then we have an extremely dangerous murderer on the loose."
    Last edited by Phobia; 2021-02-11 at 01:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
    Gn0me moves over to meander next to Amika, might as well have some eye candy while she was reviewing things.
    Amika noted Mrs. Bradbury's distinctly unprofessional focus on her. It would be hard not to. Another point against her having legitimate reason to be here; an actual professional would wait until they were at least not at the damn murder site. It was hard to imagine someone like her had any skills that a more

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    On the floor between was the body of a woman, lying on her back. Her throat appeared to have been cut, though much more brutally than the fairly clean cut that had ended John Brown's life, and her face badly beaten to the point that it was barely recognizable as a human face.
    In the reasonable case that these murders were done by the same person, Amika thought, this feels more like a crime of passion, the other more calculated. The brutality here is excessive.

"Namera was officially unemployed, but she has two convictions for illegally manipulating security systems and was a person of interest in a dozen similar cases. Apparently, she had something of a reputation as a security expert in some circles."
    (Could I get a Well-Informed roll on her now that I'm virtually present again?)

Quote Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
    "What do the rest of you think our next move should be? If they have gotten this ability from our victim here, then we have an extremely dangerous murderer on the loose."
    "I'm planning to make some calls, see if anyone saw anything or anyone around when the murders happened. Do we have precise times of death yet, or just rough estimates?"

Show

At first, I was delayed in participating in this game because I kinda forgot it existed. Then, I was delayed by a combination of preparing for a game I'm DMing in the real word and trying to figure out the best way to respond to Phobia's...stuff. Then by kinda forgetting about it again.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"The implants only keep broadcasting for a few seconds after they're no longer connected to a living body", Samuel Waters explained. "So we have time of death down to the minute. Namera died at 23:36 on the 18th while Brown and Lankin respectively died at 20:14 and 20:17 on the 19th."

Show

I'll give you the results of Well-Informed when I have more time. Depending on whether anyone else posts in between I'll either edit it into this post or make a new one.

30. - Top - End - #60

That’s a lot of murdering to fit into such a small frame of time.” Gn0me said as more of a statement than anything. “How fast does ARGUS want this case solved? I got a few calls to make too.” In reality, Gn0me was planning to go to the bar and get as drunk as possible, maybe think it over in the morning.

It was hard to establish relationships for the other vics, but the best lead as far as I can tell is Miss Namera’s elusive drug-pusher. A personal connection to the victim, an unprofessional murderer who only seems to have access to a paint-ball gun and a knife? A killer who knew the house of a recluse well-enough to murder a lady, clean up a bit, and escape out the back-window in the few minutes before the drones arrived. She had no visitors except a ghost who doesn’t want to be detected, no chip, but yet Miss Namera had to have a steady supply of her habit someway.” Gn0me said moving her goggles up so she could rub her eyes. Maybe she’d put some feelers out later when she was buying something a little harder later on; a good detective just needed a little jolt every once in a while and it would let her use her streetwise skills to track down Miss Namera’s particular friend.

Who was supplying her?” Gn0me muttered while chomping on the bit of a cigar that was nearly spent.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you couldn't post you couldn't post but don't blame me. I made an old-style hard-drinking womanizing noir detective and you made a woman with Attractive 2, I was just roleplaying with you trying to make our party interact instead of just talking to the NPC over and over. Maybe you could have said something sooner? Page one I kinda expected her to call out Gn0me IC. I'm embarrassed but I'm really sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. Gn0me won't flirt with Amika anymore.
    Last edited by Phobia; 2021-02-15 at 03:00 PM.