New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default (Delta Green) Should I Run it as Written?

Hello Everyone

I've recently started running Delta Green for a group of two players, we're a couple of sessions in and things are going well, however as a GM/Handler I've noticed that I'm going relatively easy on my players, and I think it's because certain parts of the Handler's Guide are very heavy handed when telling the Handler to take away player control and make the characters helpless. However from running other games I've noticed that removing player agency, even for a tiny amount of time leads to frustration from both me and the players.

So my question is, have I been doing lack of control wrong? If so could someone please provide examples of where making PC's helpless has actually lead to a better time at the table?
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: (Delta Green) Should I Run it as Written?

Isn't character helplessness part and parcel of Delta Green and Call of Cthulhu?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

There are degree's of helplessness. Delta Green P.C.s are not going to kill the Great Old One's, they're probably not going to bring down Majestic 12. They can arrest the cult that is kidnapping female students and sacrificing them or hunt down and kill the Ghoul pack that has got a taste for fresh meat. Or even, at the end of a campaign, destroy a group like Karotechia.
    If they can't do ANYTHING there's no point in playing but its a integral part of the background/world that there are forces out there more powerful and monstrous than they can know
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

That's really your call.
    Will your players hate it if you take away their control?

Are you the sort of GM who can create a compelling story that will grip the players emotionally even if they can't change much?
    If you are that GM, are your players the sort who'll enjoy that? It can be amazing with the right group, but if not, then don't do it.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

5. - Top - End - #5

Depends on the people. One group i had were half and half role players and roll players. One staple of the system was "let the villain retreat" and half of them didn't. They were blind by some blood fury.

So half the characters died on a spaceship light years away with no way to read the controls or use them, no surviving crew (prinsoners? What's that?) And no food and water to speak of. They were pissed.

They hung themselves and they blame me. Truly i do have some blame; i handed them the rope.

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

Personally, I'd never run Delta Green as-written, because I have zero interest in games where the PCs literally can't save the day. (See also: everything in Old WoD, some of the Warhammer 40k stuff.)

Take the fluff as written from an in-universe perspective, and a defeatist one at that, and then have your PCs start kicking ass and fixing stuff.
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Personally, I'd never run Delta Green as-written, because I have zero interest in games where the PCs literally can't save the day. (See also: everything in Old WoD, some of the Warhammer 40k stuff.)

Take the fluff as written from an in-universe perspective, and a defeatist one at that, and then have your PCs start kicking ass and fixing stuff.
    Eh. Old WoD has Mage. Which is literally 'You can save the world if only you believe hard enough' the game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.