New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Smugglers & Scallywags

Hey, look, some RP!

The merchant, standing apart from the others, looks at the port with a look of dismay on his face. So many of his former comrades dead, and those still alive either thinking him one of the traitors or being themselves traitors. He was sure his investigations would have divined who had broken their unspoken rules. Didn't he unearth Xihirli's treachery, and the plot to deceive others into following her? ...not that she wasn't often up to something. But how did he find that 'evidence' in The Outsider's cabin? Was it just despair after finding out his friend for some many years had betrayed him?

He looks particularly at Elenna and Valmark. He had cleared them, but could he trust that now? Or even trust the incriminating evidence that he found last night in Valmark's ship?
    He had trusted them.
    Perhaps he was the fool.

If he swings today, perhaps 'tis for the best. To die with honor, to atone for his failures.
    He raises his flask in honor to Captain Cap and The Outsider. And, reluctantly, to his former compatriot Cao.
    "We'll see who the gallows gain today."

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Maybe cult decided that if they didn't do anything, a cultist would most likely be lynched the next day? So they had JeenLeen fake a cult scry to buy themselves one more day to convert? That theory makes me suspicious of Caerulea, actually...
    So I'm thinking the cult is Elenna, Book Wombat, and Valmark now.
    Valmark probably converted last night, so maybe no daybanes going on. Though I guess Book Wombat could have daybaned himself while doing the factional convert on Valmark.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Find the pirates among the merchants and hang 'em dead, or risk joining them.
    When the game started, I found this sentence odd. A hint at the cult?
    The first meaning is that find and kill them, lest we get killed when the royal fleet comes in. But I see it's more the risk of joining the pirates as pirates.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well I know I baned Valmark last night so JeenLeen couldn't have gotten a result from their scry.
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

For what it's worth (e.g., if anyone believes me) I asked AV this as part of a gambit to get the wolves to out themselves

Quote Originally Posted by me in my QuickTopic
    I might try a tactic. It's an utterly bastard move, so not sure if you'll veto it as making Town lose OR accept it :P

1) I make a post saying I call the Town to surrender, asking you if, if all townies say they give up, the game ends.
    2) hopefully the real town speak up, and the cult doesn't
    3) we use those responses to help suss* out the cult
    *as in decipher/figure out, not the 'sus' of suspicious

So my question basically is: if the Town says they surrender, will that count as surrender or can I use this trick?
    Quote Originally Posted by AV's answer
    If all remaining townies say that they surrender, then town is surrendered and the game ends with a cult win. This is also true if the declarations of surrender are made privately.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    For what it's worth (e.g., if anyone believes me) I asked AV this as part of a gambit to get the wolves to out themselves
    I'm not entirely sure what this should prove.

That said... If Jeen's power is failable then BW's could be too (therefore mine and Libro's too), if it isn't then he's lying (at least me and BW know he'd be lying). Testing it with a lynch is pretty much the only thing we can do at this point (can't afford to skip a lynch).

I'm... Less inclined to test BW, to be honest, since we know Jeen gave false information while we don't have any proof regarding BW.

5. - Top - End - #305

I don’t have time before day ends, so I’ll follow the herd for better/worse. JeenLeen

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Some stuff in case it's not game-over once I die.

5 players will be left: Elenna, Caerulea, Book Wombat, Valmark, and Libro
    If the cult doesn't win with my death, that means 1 or 2 cult. I'm pretty sure the cult is at least Book Wombat and Valmark, since I got a read on Valmark*. So if it's not game over, that must mean the other 3 are Town.

Assuming that's the case (since no reason assuming otherwise): Libro can bane one of the townies. If game isn't over by daybreak, then the cult failed to convert (or it was somehow* just 1 cultist today), and there's still 3 townies and 2 cult. So if game doesn't end, I highly recommend you kill Book Wombat or Valmark.

*maybe I have a random, or fixed-but-as-far-as-I-can-tell random, read, and it has a chance of getting a read on someone who should yield No Info, since I'm not actually scrying them but just getting gibberish? Only AV knows. But I reckon me getting a read on Valmark means he wasn't baned by Book Wombat, so Book Wombat was cultist and probably recruited Valmark as an unprotected.

Also, maybe with me and Cao dead, you'll get the truth of how my powers work and be able to use my scrys, and be able to better tell who is scum.
    HISTORY:
    Xihirli is scum alignment.
    Elenna is villager alignment.
    Valmark is villager alignment.
    The Outsider is scum alignment.
    Valmark is scum alignment.

AV: if game ends, I'd appreciate a list of who got converted (or was attempted to be converted, if it failed) each night.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't the Day have ended already? or did I lose the count of time?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Shouldn't the Day have ended already? or did I lose the count of time?
    Yes.

End Of Day Five

As the one who'd led them astray many times after his initial success swung from the gallows, those that hanged him turned to the rest.

"That's enough of that, methinks. Press the rest into irons and put 'em to work!"

JeenLeen was lynched. They were the Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool role
    You are a townie, the fool. Every night, select one player; you are told that player is a particular alignment, but what alignment you are told is determined randomly. Additionally, you are informed that the following is your actual role and power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seer role
    You are a townie, the seer. Every night, select one player; you learn that player's alignment, but not their role name or power(s).
    Game Is Over, Cult Victory

Congratulations to Xihirli, Elenna, CaoimhinTheCape, Valmark, and Libro

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, so general info time:

Game setup was 2 cultists, 2 vanillagers, 1 wild card, and 3 mason pairs - one seer/fool, two double-switch-baner. Secret rules: vote ties are resolved randomly, the fool's result is random, and if two banes only protect from conversion despite supposedly protecting from scries, and if 2 or more banes target the same person, neither functions that night. Xihirli and Elenna were starting cultists.

This was a game that was going to go from "anyone could win" to "it's already over" lightning quick. The cult has having to tangle with up to 5 of the 9 villagers being unconvertable on any given night, so bad luck early on can give town a serious advantage. Additionally, mason pairs trusting each other fully early on makes problems for the cult. If the mason pairs cooperate with each other, cult is just 100% screwed.

...however, if cult converts one baner, it's chuld's play to convert their mason buddy. And if cult gets two baners, even if they lose every otyer cultist to lynches, those two can take turns switching between daybaning themselves and their partner, and that's game. Town can't do anything about two continuously daybaned cultists.

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear, the cult also had solid starting advantages:

1) no vigilante
    2) two cultists at start
    3) town doesn't initially know it's a cult game
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2021-01-30 at 02:07 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry people, but I actually baned Elenna the Night Outsider got scried. I thought the Cultists would assume I was baning myself so tried the smart game.

It backfired. Hard.

On another note, I must admit that the (narrator) lies really bothered me- we would have likely lynched BW after Jeen because of those. In general I'd have preferred a no comment to those.

- - - Updated - - -

And realizing how that post sounds I should clarify that I had fun nonetheless. Just, those really threw me off.

Nevermind that I screwed up all on my own :p

- - - Updated - - -

Also, can we see the Deadchat?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll wait for other cultists to jump in and share the Cult thread/Dead thread, but the most important thing for me to contribute is that I was only converted Night 3 - up until then I was legit (and apparently a regular Seer). It really threw me off as town when Jeen got someone right on Night 1. Looking back, maybe that means we should have lynched one of my targets Day 2, which would have given everyone more info one way or the other.

Apparently there was a lot going on with the roles, the Day banes cancelling each other could have been bad early on, but once everyone claimed that was pretty well organized.

Actually, here's the dead chat, there's almost nothing there: https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/V9UATZ7rF5Jr

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

https://quicktopic.com/53/H/V9UATZ7rF5Jr

Gyess what successfully lynching davy jones would do?

Okay, it does nothing, I briefly considered a rez mechanic butbdecided the game was crazy enough already

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #312

Did the other mason pairs trust each other right away? Jeen and I gave in before Night 1 ended so we were basically working together (at arm's length just in case). I'm good with sharing our QT.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Did the other mason pairs trust each other right away? Jeen and I gave in before Night 1 ended so we were basically working together (at arm's length just in case). I'm good with sharing our QT.
    Me and Outsider trusted each other right up until you got lynched- while I thought I should trust him afterwards too I decided against that to be on the safe side.

And then I got converted.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Game setup was 2 cultists, 2 vanillagers, 1 wild card, and 3 mason pairs - one seer/fool, two double-switch-baner. Secret rules: vote ties are resolved randomly, the fool's result is random, and if two banes only protect from conversion despite supposedly protecting from scries, and if 2 or more banes target the same person, neither functions that night. Xihirli and Elenna were starting cultists.
    Wait, so it was just coincidence that JeenLeen was right every other day? That's kinda hilarious I was sure Jeen and Cao were both alternating seer/random fool and Cao just happened to get the truth when he was the fool.

Cult QT: https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/D8i3R7DPYs6

Cult conversions:
    N1: We tried to convert AV, mostly as a joke. It did nothing.
    N2: I tried to convert Captain Cap, which failed, because wild card.
    N3: I figured out from process of elimination that Cao was almost certainly the other seer, and converted him. Apparently this was not great timing, since he got lynched the next day.
    N4: I decided cult had no hope unless I tried to convert a baner, so I picked Valmark as being the most active. Conveniently, Valmark decided I would be an attractive conversion target and baned me.
    N5: We converted Libro mostly on the basis of Valmark being asked to bane him.

TL;DR despite some bad conversion choices at the start, cult won mostly on the basis of a) Valmark choosing not to self-bane N4 and b) JeenLeen being a fool.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Special mention goes to Valmark, who night-baned a townie after being culted instead of daybaning a cultist. I mean it didn't end up affecting anything, besides utterly baffling me.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Special mention goes to Valmark, who night-baned a townie after being culted instead of daybaning a cultist. I mean it didn't end up affecting anything, besides utterly baffling me.
    XD

Mainly because I didn't think it would matter and I'd rather bane a townie we weren't going to Cult then potentially Day-Bane a cultist who's going to be up for a lynch the next day over (i.e. after the Night when they can't be targeted anymore).

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Honestly I just forgot his power existed Probably because it was pretty clear we were going to win anyways.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I will say as support of my earlier insistence that this game could've gone either way really freaking quick: if the dice had favored JeenLeen N2, we would've gone into D3 with JeenLeen fingering the only remaining cultist, by sheer unbridled fluke.

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I will say as support of my earlier insistence that this game could've gone either way really freaking quick: if the dice had favored JeenLeen N2, we would've gone into D3 with JeenLeen fingering the only remaining cultist, by sheer unbridled fluke.
    TBH when Caoimhin was being lynched, my thoughts were basically "we've probably lost but I might as well keep trying". If Valmark had self-baned N4, it would have been hard or impossible for cult to win even with JeenLeen being the fool.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

20. - Top - End - #320

If Jeen was the real Seer or I investigated those targets instead of him, we would have been done super quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    TBH when Caoimhin was being lynched, my thoughts were basically "we've probably lost but I might as well keep trying". If Valmark had self-baned N4, it would have been hard or impossible for cult to win even with JeenLeen being the fool.
    One thing my lynch (as a Cultist) did do was convince everyone to lynch Outsider (or possibly Caerulea) the next day, so it at least extended Cult's chances by one Day phase. It was just frustrating that you guys got a good lynch for the wrong reason.

The other piece of the game that was weird to me was that ever since Day 3 (my lynch) there didn't seem to be much discussion? Like, everyone agreed on a target and just waited for the Day to end. Not sure what else would have been done differently but everyone resigned to either getting the lynch right or losing a town member (probably having to do with so much baner coverage at night).

Finally, shout out to the last cult game where I converted Elenna, who then converted Valmark, and once again Elenna converted Val right after I died.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Finally, shout out to the last cult game where I converted Elenna, who then converted Valmark, and once again Elenna converted Val right after I died.

Somewhere in the cult QT is me being like "here I am, the lone cultist on N2, why does this seem familiar" lol.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I was way off on who converted who.

I find it funny that D2 I was going to aim to lynch Elenna, only to back off from that to lynch the scry-result Xihirli. Turns out my gut about Elenna was right.
    Also, yeah, the lie about how baning worked really threw me off. And the lie about how many RNG things existed (not just one, but the tie votes and fool power).

Also rather surprised we were so close to winning up until end-game. I figured the cult was way more successful at conversions than it was.
    CAO & ME: https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/fD5ccv5YXGP

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Bastard games have always been a favorite of mine, and this one was no exception. Also, I'm with Jeen, I figured that the game would end when I got lynched. Again. I'm also rather amused that the cult tried to convert AV.
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.

24. - Top - End - #324

Thanks for the fun game!
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

As someone planning to run a cult game (albeit with everything clear ahead of time), any lessons from this game any of y'all think I should take into consideration?
    Also, anyone so burned out on cult games that you think you won't join? I might move mine back a game if folk feel burnt out.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

And this is why you should always trust me.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

27. - Top - End - #327