New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Lands: Grimmsgate IC

Ellie works her magic, summoning a weird stirge - part bat, part mosquito, mostly blood-bag. It latches onto the back of the ogres neck sucking greedily as the ogre tries to grasp at the thing. Distracted, Riaghan blasts it with a powerful jet of water knocking it flat. Eponine sees her chance and swings her hammer overhead bringing it down crunching armour plates a mighty blow hitting the ogre for 9 damage.

Groaning, the monster grabs at the stirge attached to it, rolling about grabbing it and squeezing for 6 damage the stirge bursting vile blood all over it. Rolling over it pushes itself up wiping the arterial mess from it's eyes only to be blasted with water again howling as it's bowled over falling flat.

Spoiler: info & rolls
    Show
    ogre vs stirge
    unarmed strike (1d20+8)[21] damage (1d4+5)[6]

ogre stands up
    => Eponine gets an AoO

Riaghan waterblast
    => unlucky ogre prone again

=> Party (excl. Riaghan)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Eponine

"Why. Won't. You. Stay. Down!" Eponine complains as she attempts to pummel the Ogre some more.

Spoiler
    Show

AoO (1d20+5)[25](1d12+3)[6] (Vs AC reduced by prone)

Attack AoO (1d20+5)[19](1d12+3)[4] (Vs AC reduced by prone)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 5, Philemon's Statistics
    Show
    Philemon Cooper
    Male Neutral Good Human Ranger (Skirmisher/Guide), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft.
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Greatsword +4 (2d6+4, 19-20/x2)
    Scale Mail (+5 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition Charging (-2 AC)

"Keep him down if you can!" calls Phil as he drops his bow and charges at the fallen ogre, drawing his greatsword and bringing it down at the monster for what he hopes is a killing blow..

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Free action to drop the bow, then full round action to charge (while drawing his weapon for free due to having a +1 BAB) and attack the ogre: Greatsword (1d20+6)[22] to hit, (1d20+6)[25] (19-20/x2), (2d6+4)[12] slashing damage, (2d6+4)[11] critical strike damage.

If it tries to stand, AoO: Greatsword (1d20+6)[10] to hit, (1d20+6)[22] (19-20/x2), (2d6+4)[6] slashing damage, (2d6+4)[9] critical strike damage.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Ellethielle grins as the stirge explodes and her face grows grim at the death of her summons. She watches the others surround the beast and reaches down into the ground bringing forth more animals from the feywilds and other primal lands. THe ground shudders behind it, flanking with with Eponine as a massive centipede some 3ft long wriggles forth onto the ogre seeking to sink its pincers into the thing

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Summon a giant centipede flanking with Eponine
    (1d20+4)[7] dam (1d6-1)[3] and DC 13 Fort or (1d3)[2] Dex damage

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Shortbow (20) +2 (1d6, x3)
    Reach Longspear (-) +1 (1d8+1, x3)
    Longsword (Cold Iron) +1 (1d8+1, 19-20)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Condition Half Elf: Immune sleep, +2 vs Mind Affecting
    Trait: +1 saves vs Fey

Summon Animal I: 4/6 remaining

Biped Eidolon - Looks like cross between a wolf and a large cat
    HD 1d10 HPs 0/11 BAB +1 Saves 3/4/0 Init +2 Speed 40ft
    AC 16 ( +4 natural, +2 dex) + 4 Mage armour =20
    Bite +3 (1d6+2), 2 x Claws +3 (1d4+2) +1d6 bleed
    Str 14 Dex 14 Con 13 Int 7 Wis 10 Cha 11
    Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Feats (1): Power attack
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)
    SQ: Darkvision, link, Share spells

Conditions:
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

With a great sickening crunch Eponine swings her hammer straight into the rising ogre's armoured chest for 10 damage. The breastplate buckles and the ogre grunts coughing blood as it topples to the ground and lies still, a broken stinky mess.

6. - Top - End - #276

NecromancerGuy

Philemon continues to strike the ogre until all signs of life disappear. Then he turns and runs to Artaith and begins checking for signs of life. "She's still alive! Someone help me make a liter - we've got to get her to safety so she can recover. We can't stay out here!" he directs as he begins looking around for saplings long enough to make the frame by which they can carry the armored dwarven cleric back to town...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Survival (1d20+5)[11] to make the liter and then Knowledge (Geography) (1d20+4)[8] (if necessary) to get the party headed the right way. Since Phil is from this area I assume that second roll won't be necessary, but just in case...

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=DrK;25737069]
    Elethielle

As it lands Elethielle is content to leave the angry beasts she has summoned to savage the massive monster before running forwards to help Artaith and the others. Although she doesn't have much ability with healing she does her best to assist under the orders of the others. "She will head back to the farm house where we slept last night? it may be closer to get to and allow us some time to recuperate?"

She looks at the others, a flush of shame. "I am sorry, I thought it could be reasoned with. I was clearly wrong and we have paid a heavy price."

Show

Assist with healing vs DC 10 (1d20)[9]

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0

Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)

Conditions:

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

"I think the farmhouse would be the safest option," Eponine agrees. "I don't think Artaith would be up to going further. I think her best hope is for us to provide care until she can heal herself."

9. - Top - End - #279

NecromancerGuy

"I think she's stable - her breathing seems steady - but this looks bad. I can't help her, but back in the walls we'll be safer. We might be able to find a healing potion or something...otherwise it could be days before Artaith even wakes up," argues Philemon as he works.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

"But think of the obstacles we've encountered even getting this far!" Eponine counters. "I'm not sure we even can make it back to the village without our healer..."

11. - Top - End - #281

NecromancerGuy

"We're about an hour away, we can go slow, scout ahead, avoid anything dangerous," insists Philemon. "I'll take the lead scouting - I know the area best, and if anything seems dangerous we go around it. But staying out here until Artaith wakes up...that's worse. We'd be sitting ducks..."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Agreed. We should go."

Riaghan assists in ensuring Artaith is well tended for as the party begins the arduous task of transporting her wounded body.
    Riaghan Meadowbrook, Lost Lands – Grimmsgate | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Aqualith Media

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Grimly you focus on the task at hand...some tending to Artaith while other make a litter from nearby saplings and other branches to hand. It's still only early morning and you have no trouble lashing together a makeshift litter to drag the badly-injured dwarf.

However by the time you redistribute her items, secure her and prepare to move out a low cloud has set in across the area and a steady rain begins to fall. You slog back the way you came, briefly through wet fields and then along the muddy trail.

It is with some relief that your disheveled and dispirited band reaches the 'gates' of Grimmsgate village, the inexperienced youth manning the gate simply standing slack-jawed, eyes wide as you wind & splash your way slowly up the path to the inhabited area of the hillock...

Reminder of Grimmsgate village layout etc

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

The rain bothers Riaghan not at all. As they approach Grimmsgate once again, he slips his hood up to shield his features to not startle any onlookers, but truly... his main focus is ensuring his friend gets the help she needs, taking his turn in pulling the litter along the rain-soaked earth.

"Thoughts on where to stop? The inn or chance one of those abandoned shanties?" he asks the party.
    Aqualith Media

15. - Top - End - #285

NecromancerGuy

"Oh no, we try the temple. It's ruined, but the old priest might be around. If we can't get Artaith some healing there then we have to see if the 'Emporium' has anything that can help..." replies Phil, his face expressing doubt in spite of his clear plans. "Can someone better at talking to folks come with me to the temple? We should leave Artaith here with the litter and someone to watch her..."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=DrK;25737069]
    Elethielle

As they reach the village bearing the injured Elethielle breathes a sigh of relief, despite the sad and dismal looking village. She looks round, "I think the Inn, we should be able to wash and eat at least whilst we get our wounded tended."

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

"I can come and help negotiate," Eponine suggests, feeling intense shame at any looks the party attract in their defeated state and trying to hide it.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riaghan sighs some relief at Eponine's volunteering. "As much as I would come without so much as a thought, I really do not know the temperament or response of the people here to my kind. I would prefer we have the best success of helping Artaith. No need to unnecessarily frighten them."
    Aqualith Media

19. - Top - End - #289

NecromancerGuy

Phil nods at Eponine and gestures for her to follow him to the ruined temple. "Come on, then. Let's find the priest..." he says as he leads the way and begins looking for the old hermit...

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith breathes- roughly but steadily, otherwise limp on the makeshift litter.

Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Philemon and Eponine splash across the muddy village 'green' to the temple on the far side. Or rather the half-temple.

An overgrown garden of weeds partially obscures the dilapidated building, a track leading through but only marked by the occasional dirty paver. The building itself has clearly seen better days, with a large door resting ajar and looking like it hasn't swung on its rusted hinges in years. The building must be in use though as a thin trail of smoke rises from the chimney.

Peering in through the doorway half of the interior is abandoned, rain dripping through a large hole in the roof on to the abandoned furniture and detritus below. At the other end a collection of aged religious statuary and iconography clutters the area, the shrine depicting various sun-motifs. The hearth smolders casting a warm light about this part of the room, illuminating an elderly man concentrating on his prayers before a statue of his goddess.

22. - Top - End - #292

NecromancerGuy

"Thank goodness you're here!" cries Philemon as he spies the aged man. "I'm sorry to interrupt your prayers, sir, but we need your help! One of our companions was nearly killed by an ogre - can you heal her? I don't have much to offer, but they came back with me to help the village...I went and found them in the cities!"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Does Phil know the priest? I wrote him as a native of the little hamlet, but also a bit of a loner and outdoorsman, so I imagine either answer is far.

What sort of help and cost would Phil be expecting? Maybe we can repair some of the church or clean up the grounds...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

"Artaith is our healer - I'm sure if you could just wake her she'd be able to take it from there. None of the rest of us have any healing ability," Eponine informs. "On the bright side there's now one fewer ogre near the village, so there's that."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

The old priest fairly jumps out of his skin as the agitated outdoorsman Philemon blunders forward. Clutching at his chest he wheezes and takes a moment to regain his breath, steadying himself. At this point you see the man is missing his right arm, seemingly a long-healed old wound or injury judging by the way he handles himself.

"Cityfolk?! Here to help?! Come in, come closer" he says in a surprised, friendly manner particularly as the more presentable Eponine makes herself known.

"Bring your companion in. Lay them over here. Oh, a dwarf! By the blazing rays of Solanus, I've not seen a dwarf in these parts for some years. Let's see if I can patch her up"

With his gilt-wooden sun-disc holy symbol clutched in his hand he utters a prayer to his goddess and a soft radiance briefly cocoons Artaith as the healing takes effect.

Spoiler: healing
    Show
    cure light wounds (1d8+4)[12]

"My name is Rhall. Thank the Lady's light that help has finally been sent. This place has been slowly giving up on itself and no-one around here seems minded to take any action. Especially not out there in the woods."

Spoiler: Philemon the local
    Show
    Does Phil know the priest? I wrote him as a native of the little hamlet, but also a bit of a loner and outdoorsman, so I imagine either answer is far.
    I've been running it such that Phil is 'familiar but not familiar' with the town. ie knows the very high level stuff but in order to preserve the 'exploration' feel doesn't really know the detail. Mechanically perhaps a +2 Knowledge (Local) for some checks.

So, he knows of broadly who is around. But he doesn't have any relationship with any named NPC's. In this instance let's say he knows that there is a priest but hasn't had cause to meet before.

Maybe he lived as a loner a mile or so south out of town? Knew some (nameless) farmers who disappeared a while back. Came to the village once a month or so to trade pickled eggs but never really made any contacts or friends (looking at you, 7 Charisma).

25. - Top - End - #295

NecromancerGuy

Philemon immediately looks embarrassed at how he startled the old priest, but relieved when he doesn't argue or ask for payment. As healing magic flows into the dwarf the young man calms down a little as he whispers a silent prayer of thanks to the Morninglight. "Thank you, sir. The 'Lady' you worship, which goddess is that? I'll say a prayer of thanks to her as well as to Arialee for our safe return to town..." he says, still looking a bit shy after his uncultured entrance. "Artaith and Eponine here came with me to help - we certainly need it..."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

"Why young lad, that's Solanus." he gestures to a small gilt idol. "Goddess of the sun, Sol, and of healing. A blessed light upon our farms and our homes. One of the older gods, not quite as popular as she once was. Mind you, it's not like I've seen any priests of Mitra or anyone else come round here come to help out. I guess they've got other tasks to keep them busy, rather than helping a dwindling bunch of dispirited villagers who've given up."

Here, take this. He hands a simple wooden holy symbol on a leather thong - a blazing sun inscribed with an open palm.

"Now, an ogre you say? Can't say that's a surprise. I bet there's all sorts of miscreants and creatures skulking about now that the fields are half-abandoned and there's no-one to stop them. Taking their chances when they see no-one will fight back. If only someone could bring an end to the ill-fortune round here, might be we could re-kindle some motivation and get things more productive like it used to be way back when..."

27. - Top - End - #297

NecromancerGuy

"Is Solanus a friend, or ally of Arialee? It seems like they might get along..." asks Philemon as he considers the old man's gift in his hand. "Thank you for the symbol, sir. I will keep it handy to remember the goddess' kindness today.

But yeah, one less ogre and we're here to try and make it all better. It's rough out there...
    "

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=DrK;25737069]
    Elethielle

As their friend is healed Elethielle breathes a sigh of relief. "I am glad you are well now, or at least on the mend." Drinking water and nibbling on some rations she'll look at the old priest. "What else has been happening here to bring trouble to the village?" she asks looking curiously at the old man who has clearly been here for many years.

She looks around going to reach out to rub where the strange toothed wolf may be, then looks glum knowing she'll have to wait longer be summoning the creature back.

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Like Elethielle Eponine breathes a sigh of relief as their dwarven cleric is healed.

"I wish Archeillus would grant me the power to heal. she murmurs quietly, keenly aware that all her friends remain vulnerable to anything happening to the stolid dwarf again in future.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

"If I recall correctly, Arialee is a fey goddess more distant to mankind, unlike Solanus or Archellius. A goddess of the Old Ways she finds favour among wild elves and druids of far lands."

He turns to Elethielle and the rest of you,

"This place has been fading away for years now. Travelers & merchants stopped coming. People disappearing from time to time, more frequently now it seems. I think they gave up on us after a patrol of the barons knights and soldiers never came back from the woods.

If you ask me it's something to do with the Elder Temple. I once heard that a fiend was loosed there ages ago. The ruins are up on a hill, southwest of here up near where the river starts. Nothing much left anymore but a few old catacombs. Still, who knows what might be lurking up there..."