New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Lost Lands: Grimmsgate IC

Philemon nods solemnly, unsure what it means that the two deities might not be close, but also not wanting to be rude. He tucks the holy symbol away, internally debating what he should do with it...

"Well, we're not giving up," he says seriously. "I hadn't thought about the ruins on the hill - we might have better luck finding something there, huh? Thank you again, sir..."

After dipping his head respectfully the outdoorsman turns to his dwarven companion, who thankfully will live after the ordeals, and says, "Artaith, wake up! We got you back safe, got the ogre, and got a lead!"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith sputters to consciousness, immediately reaching for an axe and shield that aren't especially close at hand. She gasps, taking in the distinctly-not-riverbank, and slowly lets herself calm again. For several seconds, she just lays on the litter, listening to her companions talk with the old one-armed cleric.

"Ah'm awake. Quitcher hollerin'," she grunts, raising herself to an elbow. "Blasted thing moved fast..." she wonders, as her hands gingerly trace where the spear threatened to end her life. "Guess I need ta git better with this shield," she scowls, rising to her feet with a grunt.

"These ruins, you say? Seems better than wandering about in the woods," she adds. "We goin' now??"

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

As Artaith comes too she rests a hand on the dwarf's shoulder. "Maybe best to rest the night. I know I am sorely pressed after that battle with that monster. As I'm sure you all are as well?" She'll look to the Inn and suggest they sleep there. At mention of the ruins, she nods, "That may be a good idea, although given the dangers in these woods we had best proceed very carefully tomorrow."

OOC: Suggestion of rest overnight, eat then had to the fiend infested temple in the morning

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Shortbow (20) +2 (1d6, x3)
    Reach Longspear (-) +1 (1d8+1, x3)
    Longsword (Cold Iron) +1 (1d8+1, 19-20)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Condition Half Elf: Immune sleep, +2 vs Mind Affecting
    Trait: +1 saves vs Fey

Summon Animal I: 4/6 remaining

Biped Eidolon - Looks like cross between a wolf and a large cat
    HD 1d10 HPs 0/11 BAB +1 Saves 3/4/0 Init +2 Speed 40ft
    AC 16 ( +4 natural, +2 dex) + 4 Mage armour =20
    Bite +3 (1d6+2), 2 x Claws +3 (1d4+2) +1d6 bleed
    Str 14 Dex 14 Con 13 Int 7 Wis 10 Cha 11
    Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Feats (1): Power attack
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)
    SQ: Darkvision, link, Share spells

Conditions:
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #304

NecromancerGuy

Phil nods in agreement with Elethielle. "It's been rough the last several hours - we thought we'd lost you, Artaith, and you're the only healer we had out there! Let's rest in safety tonight and check out the ruins tomorrow," says the outdoorsman as he helps the dwarf to her feet and nods his head in thanks to the priest. They excuse themselves to find the rest of the party and a place to rest for the night.

"I'm not really used to paying to sleep somewhere, but it might be worth it if we can really rest. What do you all think?"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

"You have good hearts," says the old priest. "Be sure to seek me out here should you suffer again at the hands of evil. My fighting days may be behind me but I can do my best to help those valiant souls who spill their own blood to help those less fortunate."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

"Rest?" Artaith sputters. "'Spose next time I need to be awake for the litter, eh? You're all tuckered out after draggin' little old me?" She chuckles, leaving you unsure if it's a joke or not, before shrugging.

"No such luck, Phil," she murmurs as they make their way from the priest's presence. Almost an afterthought, she turns and offers a quick, half-hearted word of thanks before stepping back into what passes for a street.

"I ain't goin' by myself, so I guess tomorro'll do," she grunts, glaring into the afternoon sky.

7. - Top - End - #307

NecromancerGuy

"I only have a little coin, but I'd like to buy something to patch you up if you fall again," Philemon says as he leads Artaith and Elethielle back outside and to the little shop within the walled village. "I've never really bought more than basic supplies that I couldn't make for myself here...not sure if they will have anything to help us..." he explains awkwardly.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

"We got it though, after you fell," Eponine reassures Artaith. "Eventually. So that's one less dangerous creature to worry about."

"Thanks for the tip about the temple," she says to the priest. "I think we'll try there next. It sounds like we should have come to you first before blindly stumbling out into the forest!"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2023-08-05 at 08:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309

NecromancerGuy

Philemon looks a bit embarrassed as he thinks through Eponine's words. With a nod he keeps his mouth shut but readily guides the party to the general store.

Once there he asks the shopkeeper, "What do you have in the way of emergency healing? We'd like to pool our funds a bit and see if we can buy it from you..."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

The tall curly-haired welcomes you into his store, the ambitiously-named Hilltop Emporium. "Pantro Panga at your service. Here, let me show you our wares. We have a fine selection of....emergency healing, you say? Um...". Flustered he starts shuffling through boxes and shelves.

"Ah, truth be told we don't have magical elixirs at the moment, if that's what you're after. Not been any merchants come through this way in some time. The last fellow to come through some months ago said bandits waylaid him. Beat him, took his wares, and left him for dead. Took their spoils with them and rode back up the northeastern road to wherever they came from. Oh wait, I've got a few of these..."

He pulls out a few bundles and unrolls them, revealing collection of bandages and medicinal herbs.

Spoiler: For sale
    Show
    Healer's kits for sale, standard 50gp price.

11. - Top - End - #311

NecromancerGuy

Philemon looks a bit crestfallen, as if embarrassed of the little town that is closest to a home for him. "Thanks, but I think we need something with more oomph. I'm not even really sure how best to use that..." he says as he steps back to let others shop for a moment.

Once everyone is done he steps back outside to look for a sheltered place within the walls to sleep for the night. "We should all be able to rest up and be fresh in the morning - less need for a watch overnight within the walls..." he explains.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, that's a shame. I guess we should head out to the temple then?" Eponine suggests. "And maybe try and avoid any more ogres along the way."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle nods to the others "A little more rest won't do any harm and we can find out where all these people have gone missing." Looking at her side where her missing hound is she smiles sdaly. "And my hound should be be back by then as well."

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0

Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)

Conditions:

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith nods grimly. "Figure if they waited this long they'll still be there tomorrow."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

When the others return to him outside, and Riaghan is satisfied with the new information they gleaned, he'll nod in agreement that shelter for the night within the protection of the village walls would be the best course of action.
    Riaghan Meadowbrook, Lost Lands – Grimmsgate | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Aqualith Media

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

You head back to the Silver Dagger and check in with the innkeeper Ralmar and his wife Miralda, confirming that your rooms are still available. She bustles off to get them readied as you settle in for lunch, observing that the rain seems to be clearing outside. A few disheveled locals still slouch about the room grumbling about anything and everything.

Spoiler: Next steps
    Show
    Do you want to fast forward to tomorrow morning, or do you have anything that you would like to do in the afternoon or evening?

What are your intentions tomorrow morning?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

After a pretty awful day in the wilds, Eponine is happy just to fall into a bed, meagre as it is. But she's going to have to start earning some coin quickly if she doesn't want to go back to her family in disgrace.

18. - Top - End - #318

NecromancerGuy

Philemon tries to look cheerful, but he's uncomfortable both with the meager hospitality of the town and his presence inside even this bit of civilization. Perhaps if things had gone better he'd be more chipper, but instead he smiles and eats his dinner quietly, hoping someone else will strike up some conversation.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith, for perhaps the first time, demonstrates something much like awareness and keeps largely to herself in the unhappy tavern's common room. For the moment satisfied to be alive, and deeply concerned for the fate of her companions and this little slice of civilization, she finds herself genuinely broody, rather than just seemingly so.

With many sighs, grunts, and shrugs, she conveys her general disinterest in serious conversation but likewise supports any talk of heading to the temple the next day. Discontent with their inaction, she stirs restlessly, but makes no apparent effort to immediately try to make any changes.

Before the next day dawns, Artaith can be found in the common room, or the street just outside. Eager to not end up quite so squarely on the business-end of another Ogre's spear, she slowly and deliberately paces through a series of preliminary martial forms. Trained observers would note her steps as clumsy, half-learned things, but no one would deny her intentions. As soon as anyone else joins her (even if only in location), she gruffly barks. "Aye, let's be to it? The others still sawn' logs?"

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

The night passes relatively uneventfully, your group happy for the hospitality and comfort of the common room despite the dour local company. In the early hours of morning the winds pick up and strong gusts smash the region, the violent weather making it challenging to rest. Come dawn the weather has not improved - very windy which will prohibit archery but otherwise you think you can travel on through it okay.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

In the morning after she has rested Elethielle braves the weather to step outside and then summons her dog once more. The hound looking more sheepish this time after its rough treatment last time. Heading back inside, brushing long strands of wind blow hair off the face she shakes her head. "Nasty out there, but we can head out to explore and try and help this area today." She looks at her comrades, "Is everyone ready?"

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

22. - Top - End - #322

NecromancerGuy

Philemon goes to sleep unhappy and wakes up only slightly better. It seems the wind doesn't bother him much, though the sounds of low-key civilization around him doesn't make it easy for him to rest. When he greets Artaith and she asks about the others he shrugs. "Probably - too much people-noise here for me. It's better than those big cities, but I'm used to sleeping outdoors most of the time. You feeling good to go? See that temple?"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith snorts at Philemon's gentle complaints. "How'd you ever survive even a day in Troye?" she jests with a chuckle. "Let's make sure Eponine and Riaghan are still with us and be on with it, eh?"

Looking outside, she frowns. "I swear, worst part o' surface living, that. Water can't just leave well enough alone and come outa the ground like it's 'sposed ta."

24. - Top - End - #324

NecromancerGuy

Philemon looks a bit bashful as he answers. "It wasn't easy and I didn't sleep much - there was so much happening, and so much noise! Heh..." he explains as he turns back and heads towards the common area to look for the rest of the party to join them.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Gathering yourselves together after a simple breakfast of porridge you make your way back out into the surrounding wilderness. The wind whips through the abandoned fields flattening the long grasses and ripping leaves from the scraggly few trees.

Following the directions of the cleric Rhall you head back towards the farmhouse and the scene where you fought the ogre, observing that the ground around the scene is quite disturbed with mounds of fresh earth and that the body is nowhere to be found.

Continuing on you follow the stream towards the woods and by midmorning you are making your way through the forest, slowly ascending towards the hills ahead. Through an occasional gap in the trees you see a hilltop nearby that seems to have several humanoid statues upon it's crest. However the stream leads away from that particular hill and you continue on.

Early afternoon the rise of another hill looms nearby, this one seeming to fit the description given. A rocky hill rises steeply near the stream, a few massive blocks of dark stone at the crown making it clear that this is the site of an ancient construction.

No buildings remain, although several blocks of masonry are scattered here and there on the hillside as if they had been tossed around by an unthinkably powerful force. Two small groves of trees have taken hold near the bottom of the slope, and you can see three cave entrances into the hill itself. The lower two entrances are doorways crafted from carved stone. The highest entrance, near the top of the hill, is quite different. It is very large, wide enough for several people to enter side by side, and it is closed by what appears to be a metal door.

From where you are, still down in the woods near the stream, you spy movement and observe a skinny deformed person similar to the ones you've encountered previously. It scrambles carelessly about the hillside occasionally tearing at the earth with it's clawed hands seemingly looking for bugs, vermin or who-knows what to eat. It is completely oblivious to your presence, so far.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Question: Are you on the horses (x4)?
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2023-10-14 at 02:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you think there's only one?" Eponine asks quietly, dismounting from her horse and aiming her bow at the creature.

27. - Top - End - #327

NecromancerGuy

Phil takes the lead, leaving the horses behind and following the trails when he can as they head towards the ruined temple grounds. He looks at the ground and plants with an expression that seems sad for their sorry state. "I hope what we're doing here will help the land heal too..." he says as they walk. The scene near the farmhouse shows obvious signs of scavengers, leaving the woodsman a bit paler once he considers what probably did the eating. He doesn't say much except to point out the spot to Artaith briefly. "We almost lost you there - glad you made it!"

The woodsman points out the statues to those curious, mostly to be sure they see them, but doesn't say anything about them. Instead he keeps his attention on their surroundings and watches for signs of threats as they approach the rocky hill with the ancient ruins atop it. He sees the feral human and looses his bow, just in case. "There were never that many of us around here, but it seems most of them have gone bad. If the old temple ruins are the source of this sickness...well, there will probably be more around here. We should keep our eyes and ear open and stay quiet as we approach," he says, answering Eponine in a low voice.

Then Phil creeps forward, slowly, to try and get the party closer without alerting any threats to their presence.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Moving at half-speed, trying to take the time to be cautious and not get surprised (again). Perception and Survival are at +5, with Stealth at +2, so not high numbers, but hopefully with multiple checks (due to the slow speed) and distance the party can spy anything dangerous before it gets too close and/or sees them.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith steps into the windy village with a sour look. "Not even a halfway decent stew?" she grumbles, stunned and disappointed by the poor (to her tastes) breakfast fare. She scowls into the wind defiantly, before turning to follow Phil into the wilderness proper. She only grunts at his comment, not especially eager to dwell on the topic.

By their midmorning view of the strange, statued hilltop, the cleric is in an unusually foul mood, even for her. "Be too simple for that to just be a pretty monument, eh?" she asks of Philemon, though she doesn't honestly seem all that interested in his answer.

When they finally approach the second hill, Artaith's attitude softens somewhat. "Finally, good old fashioned caves. Wouldn'a thought some stuffy old druids would be the voice of reason, but miracles never cease I guess!" She chortles a bit until Eponine points out the scavenging... thing.

"Slim odds o' that, lass," she grunts, drawing her axe and shield. She scowls at the creature with undisguised distaste. "Best just buck up and get ready for a brawl."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle walks alongside the others if they are riding, her lithe feet jogging or pacing through the woods as she rest a hand on the wolf like eidolon's neck. As they pause she draws her bow, a cautious look on her face. "I shall defer to the rest of you. I made in error in treating with that ogre and it nearly cost Artiath their life. I do not wish to make that error again."

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Summon Animal I: 6/6 remaining

HD 1d10 HPs 11/11 BAB +1 Saves 3/4/0 Init +2 Speed 40ft

Conditions:

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

You tether the horses and, led by Philemon, begin to sneak forward. The broken, uneven, hillside has many large rocks and blocks of masonry with plenty of opportunity to find cover. You hustle forward through the grass and dirt, scampering from stone to stone, until you are quite close to the scavenging thing. Even Artaith manages to stay quiet and avoid drawing it's attention.

Keeping a close eye out for other threats, you don't observe any more of the creatures.

Spoiler: sneakiness
    Show
    Artaith Stealth DC? (1d20-5)[8]

You manage to get to 15ft distance from the cursed thing, 50ft south of 'B'...what to do now??

Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2023-11-24 at 05:42 PM.