New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Lost Lands: Grimmsgate IC

"They look hungry to me - try triage after they're down if you like, but I'm not going to be on the menu!" responds Philemon seriously, his expression a bit bleak for the previously carefree young man...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Phil fires an arrow, catching one of the feral 'humans' on the arm for 2 damage as he rushes at you claws extended...whoever they once might have been, it's clear that these creatures are no longer recognizable as human beings but some twisted and feral degenerate beings devoid of sanity and humanity...

=> Ellie to go (& Eponine if you want to)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

With the fight begun Eponine had no choice but to shoot. She draws an arrow and aims it at the wounded one, hoping to at least fell it before they both get too close.

Spoiler
    Show

Longbow (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage (1d8)[4]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith steps forward, axe and shield at the ready and her game face firmly affixed. "Oy!" She barks, easily loud enough to be heard over the scrambling. She lets the axe-hand fall behind her, clear to any practiced warriors as preparation to strike. "You ain't gon' like how this plays out!"

As the creature closes, and it becomes apparent her warning has fallen upon deaf ears, she raises her shield to take its first charge. In a smooth, practiced motion, her right hand swings upwards to bring the axe crashing down just on the other side of her shield- typically where the enemy would be trying to regain his footing. She follows it quickly with a spin and a savage slam of her shield.

Spoiler: Artaith, round 1
    Show
    Artaith Forgeheart
    F NG Dwarf Warpriest (Shield bearer), Level 1, Init 1, HP 14/14, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 5, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Dwarven double war axe +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d10+3, x3) (cleave bonus)
    Spiked steel shield +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d6+3 (+1 TWF), x2)
    Scale mail, Heavy steel shield with spike (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 17, Cha 6
    Condition Iron Within: 1/1
    Cleric spells
    Blessings: 3/3

Seems probable at least one target will close to melee before Artaith acts. If this is totally out of line, tell me and I'll delete it.

(1d20+1)[10] War axe attack
    (1d10+3)[10] damage

(1d20+1)[13] CC? (21, x3)
    (2d10+3)[12] crit bonus

2nd half of TWF:
    (1d20+1)[18] spiked shield attack
    (1d6+1)[6] damage

(1d20+1)[17] CC? (21, x3)
    (1d6+1)[4] crit bonus

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle see's the deformed creatures and shakes her head and calls to Eponine, "Whoever they once were they are gone now. They are lost and need only the sweet release of death". With a whistle and a shake of the hand she motions and the eidolon swells with power as a sphere of power envelopes it with a protective coat before it accelerates at the nearest one, Elethielle follows more sedately her bow in hand

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Cast mage armour on Eidolon
    advance 30ft

Eidolon charge the nearest w/PA
    bite (1d20+4)[19] dam (1d6+5)[8]
    claw(1d20+4)[10] dam (1d6+5)[10] + (1d6)[5] bleed
    claw(1d20+4)[23] dam (1d6+5)[10] + (1d6)[2] bleed

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Shortbow (20) +2 (1d6, x3)
    Reach Longspear (-) +1 (1d8+1, x3)
    Longsword (Cold Iron) +1 (1d8+1, 19-20)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Condition Half Elf: Immune sleep, +2 vs Mind Affecting
    Trait: +1 saves vs Fey

Summon Animal I: 6/6 remaining

Biped Eidolon - Looks like cross between a wolf and a large cat
    HD 1d10 HPs 11 BAB +1 Saves 3/4/0 Init +2 Speed 40ft
    AC 16 ( +4 natural, +2 dex)
    Bite +3 (1d6+3), 2 x Claws +3 (1d4+3) +1d6 bleed
    Str 14 Dex 14 Con 13 Int 7 Wis 10 Cha 11
    Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Feats (1): Power attack
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)
    SQ: Darkvision, link, Share spells

Conditions: mage armour
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Eponine quickly takes aim and shoots at one of the things loping towards you. The clearly twisted & deformed man is an easy target charging head-on and she tags him with an arrow in the chest for 4 damage putting him down.

The other hurtles forward recklessly and is countered by Ellie's carnivorous-looking eidolon. The eidolon pounces on the man jaws crunching for 8 damage leaving the man a broken wreck.

The skirmish over, you can more closely observe that these two beings certainly look like feral humans upon which some sort of twisted mutation has occurred... dangerously clawed hands, features twisting into a more bestial appearance. The ragged remains of clothing hangs off them randomly as if they have no thought for their own appearance or welfare.

Spoiler: Artaith heal check
    Show
    Heal check (1d20+7)[22]

Artaith doesn't recall any natural disease or condition that might cause such a change.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-08-07 at 06:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

NecromancerGuy

Philemon looks closely at the figures, trying to recognize them in spite of their mutations and disheveled clothing. "That's new around here - nothing like that before I left that I remember ever seeing. Not good at all...let me get a closer look..." he says as he inspects the bodies and clothing carefully, looking for any sign of what has happened to them...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception is at +5, I would like to take 20 for a 25.
    Heal is untrained at +1: (1d20+1)[21] to identify something wrong with the two feral humans (besides the arrows sticking out from them...), especially anything that looks like a weird infection or something.
    Knowledge (Local) is also untrained, at +0: (1d20)[19]

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

"Archeillus! I killed him!" Eponine swears to her god, putting her hands to her mouth and refusing to approach. "I killed him..." she repeats over and over, somewhat in shock.

9. - Top - End - #99

NecromancerGuy

Phil glances at Eponine sympathetically as he continues his inspection of the bodies. "There's always a first...another reason I don't like to eat meat..." he says quietly as he buries his own feelings on the death of these two people and looks to see why they stopped being people and became monsters.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

As the two creatures fall Elethielle approaches the nearer of the two beasts, happy to leave the eidolon chewing on the further away one. Crouching she looks at the dead body, "What has happened here? What has happened to this poor man" she wonders, kneeling by the bloody heedless of the blood and gore around the dead body.

She looks at the others and waves them forward before she scans the perimeter again to make sure there are no more of these strange fallen mutated creatures.

Show

Know (Nature) (1d20+6)[9]
    Perception (1d20+6)[9]

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0

Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith looks up from her inspection. "Ain't nothin' normal 'bout any of this," she grunts. "Never seen disease nor illness that does this. Philemon, you know these folks? Maybe 'did you' is the better question."

Her gaze shifts to Eponine at the young woman's outburst. Something like a stern matronly glare comes from the broad-shouldered woman. "'Ey, don't even think like that. If there was anyone home 'fore you loosed that arrow, he made his own choice. And if there wasn't, what you did was just put down a dangerous animal." If Eponine lets her, Artaith will approach and put a hand on her arm. "It won't ever be fun, but you did what had to be done. For the safety of every living soul left in that village, I hope you'll do it again when the time comes. For the sake of every soul out here, I pray we can figure out what happened an' fix 'em."

Spoiler: magic
    Show
    Artaith will also cast detect magic to see if that reveals any clues.

Stony-faced, she turns back to face the way they had been heading. "Don't think we'll find any answers here," she mutters. "Just more questions."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Stony-faced, she turns back to face the way they had been heading. "Don't think we'll find any answers here," she mutters. "Just more questions."
    Riaghan nodded in agreement, taking in the melancholy of the scene.

"They deserve a proper and final rest. The town shouldn't see them like this. Should we bring them back with us?" the somewhat aloof undine replied. He'd never dealt with such a responsibility in his travels, but felt a sense of duty and responsibility overcome him.
    Riaghan Meadowbrook, Lost Lands – Grimmsgate | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Aqualith Media

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Philemon & Ellie take a moment to check over the bodies of the two attackers. Neither of them have any familiarity of what might affect a human like this - and it's evident that these two were once human, although now barely so, looking and smelling more of the beast world than that of man. Phil doesn't recognise any distinctive marks or clothing on the two.

Artaith checks them over for signs of magic but finds nothing of note, the ferals seemingly heedless of their ragged clothing let alone any actual items.

Spoiler: next actions
    Show
    Continue onward to the farm site or do you want to take the bodies back to the village? Or other?

14. - Top - End - #104

NecromancerGuy

Philemon looks around for someway to protect the bodies from scavengers. "Someone in town might recognize them, but it might make things worse there. If we could knock enough stones loose from that fence there," he points at a stone fence nearby, "we could at least cover the bodies until a better time to fully bury them. Can I get some help?"

He then moves to the wall and removes his heavy flail, striking at the stone to break of some large chunks to carry over and put them on top of the corpses. "It won't be enough for a formal grave or anything, but better than letting them rot and attract more trouble."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Without hesitation, Riaghan follows Philemon's lead in preparing a makeshift butual mound.
    Aqualith Media

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

You take some time to loosen and gather a selection of stones from the crumbling wall. Dragging the two bodies together you pile the stones up to create a makeshift burial mound. At least the crows won't get at them.

Once ready you press on towards the outlying farm. Following the innkeepers instructions you continue along the trail until it turns into the gloomy northern woods. Remembering his words that no-one travels that forest trail anymore you keep your eyes open and easily find the narrow track that he indicated leads to Albraith & Etarra's farmstead.

The trail tracks the river, a full body of water some 20ft across that has cut a path through the stones and soil of the land as is flows north. There are a few spots where the cut-bank has given way to a slip-off slope where larger farm animals no doubt access the water. The river itself looks too deep and swift to ford without effort.

After half a mile or so you see the buildings of the farm ahead - truly not much more than a dilapidated small shack of one or two rooms with an outhouse and a couple of rickety outbuildings for the animals. From where you are, the whole place seems deserted...

Spoiler: Some skill checks
    Show
    Knowledge Nature DC15
    Elethielle (1d20+6)[19]
    Philemon (1d20+4)[19]

There is a healthy abundance of normal animal life along the riverbank - flying insects, frogs etc.

Knowledge Geography DC15
    Elethielle (1d20+6)[14]
    Philemon (1d20+4)[19]
    Rhiaghan (1d20+5)[11]

The river is no doubt one of the many small tributaries that arise in the hills and feed in to the massive Gaelon River Valley to the north.

Survival DC15
    Elethielle (1d20+4)[23]
    Philemon (1d20+5)[12]

The river looks deceptively placid but is not likely safe to cross with ease.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

You are currently at the farm at point X on the map.

1 square = 1/2 a mile
    Travel speed (@ base 20ft) = 2 miles per hour (4 squares per hour)

You have currently used 2 hours of your 8 hour day

17. - Top - End - #107

NecromancerGuy

"...And this is where things get really dangerous," mutters Philemon, his eyes darting every direction as he quietly scans the area for signs of danger. He sniffs the wind, gestures for quiet, and listens as well, taking his time to really get a feel for what threats might be around the farmhouse. "Please wait here, but keep me in sight and come if I call. I'm going to search the outskirts and see if I can find any tracks of what might be in there..." Then the outdoorsman draws his bow and an arrow before slowly and cautiously making a circuit of the farm, looking for signs of any creatures passing back and forth. He won't go so far that he cannot look back and see the party, but he's comfortable taking his time and seeing the whole area otherwise.

Show
    Perception - take 20 if allowed for a 25. If not possible, (1d20+5)[14].
    Same thing with Survival, taking as long as necessary and supported by the other PCs - 25 or (1d20+5)[18].

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Artiath assists with the burial mound with a surprisingly graceful attitude. Obviously pleased to be doing work of which her Goddess approves, she easily hefts even the largest of the stones that Philemon can break loose, and almost lovingly piles them around the corpses, before building a simple roof of large branches over the top. She then helps to pile small(er) stones atop the branches, such that the deceased within can go to their final rest with faces largely intact. She voices a simple prayer of supplication for the lost before taking up her position in the rear of the marching order.

As the party travels along the river, she eyes the water warily. Keenly aware of the risk of water to a heavily-armored combatant, she watches where her allies walk and makes absolutely certain that each of her steps is placed firmly on solid ground. "Aye," she mutters to Philemon with a nod. "I'm not fast, so don't go too far."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riaghan notices Artiath's reluctant steps and reassures her as he passes by intentionally stepping in some of the soggier bank, feeling some of the water splash onto his ankles. "Don't fret. If you fall in, I'll happily help you out. I grew up by waterways much like this one. Despite the gloom, no offense Philemon... I feel right at home."
    Aqualith Media

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Having buried the hapless men Elethiell shakes her heads sadly and hisses slightly as she pats the eidolon's fluffy head. "Nasty thing, whatever happened to them. THere is something not natural here and I am not a fan." As the cairns are buried she pauses to kneel by the bodies and leans down, cupper her hand as presdigitation leaves a glittering light and petals over the cairn.
    --

At the farm and the tranquil river she skips forward, "It seems peaceful now, a farm returned to nature." As the others investigate the farm house she approaches the river. "Lets see what fish you have now..."

Show

Perception (1d20+7)[25]

Elethielle (Ellie)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Eponine helps with gathering rocks for the small cairns, quieter than usual. As they journey on and as they reach the farmhouse she remains quiet and withdrawn, staying with the weaker members of the party. She draws her bow to provide cover as the others investigate.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Elethielle and Riaghan investigate the steadily-flowing river while Philemon slinks ahead to the farmhouse, skirting around the outside first. Artaith and Eponine wait alertly in the middle with weapons drawn, ready to rush to the assistance of anyone that may need it.

Over at the river, the scene seems utterly idyllic. Small frogs plip into the water amidst the reeds at your arrival. Insects buzz across the water and a mother ducks hustles her ducklings away from you seeking safety in the slower part of the current.

Meanwhile Philemon cautiously moves along the fenceline taking cover where he can behind the occasional trees and bushes that grow about the place. He finds...nothing. Well, hardly a living thing. A mouse skitters off into the long grass and birds happily chirp in the branches of the trees. But in the fields about him there is no sign of any farm animals.

Here and there, the dried remnants of old cattle and sheep droppings. A water trough with dusty hoof prints about it some days old. Some areas of upturned earth. A rope is affixed to a post where something (a goat, by the look of the prints and old droppings) might once have been tethered. Some hutches where chickens nested, doors hanging wide. A kennel for a dog (are those bloodstains?). But no farm animals.

The door to the farmhouse hangs open. Philemon sneaks up, waving the others up behind him. He peeks inside. The small dwelling bears the trappings and implements of a simple life....but also signs of struggle. Tangled bedlinen across the floor as if someone got up carelessly or in a hurry, a pot of porridge knocked and spattered to dry on the floorboards where it fell, a chair fallen to one side. Marks in the mess where it seems to Philemon's keen eye that someone was dragged out the read door (towards the south).

All is silent save the occasional (and quite normal) chirping of birds.

23. - Top - End - #113

NecromancerGuy

"There might be several signs of violence, but it's difficult to tell what happened here. There aren't any corpses of either men or beast, but there are signs of a struggle inside. Wherever anyone is now, it isn't here. I want to look for a trail to the south and see if the struggle I read in the signs continued that way..." Philemon explains to the party after walking back. He then shows anyone interested what he found and begins looking for a new trail to follow.

Show
    More Survival, I think: (1d20+5)[17] or Taking 20 until he finds the trail or exhausts his abilities to find one.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith joins quickly at Philmon's beckoning. She clanks up to the outside of the door a few seconds after he disappears inside. Wasting no time, she pushes through the mostly open door and glances around. "Oy, that ain't right." She watches quietly as Philemon explains his findings. "Aye, we're right behind ya."

She trudges along dutifully as Philemon picks about for a trail.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riaghan notices Philemon and the others moving away from the house. Motioning to Elethielle, he says, "It appears our scouts are onto something. Perhaps we join them?"
    Last edited by Cephor; 2021-09-07 at 09:28 PM.
    Aqualith Media

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle pauses taking in the scene of rural peace and tranquility before looking back round as Riaghan grabs her. Blushing she nods, "Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts. So many farms lost to the wilderness now in these areas. I strive to help find a balance between the wilds and the city but here it has gone too far." Chasing up to the others she looks around the room and the drag marks and nods in agreement.

"Well it seems clear which direction we must go, although from the age of the place I have little hopes that we will find someone to rescue," she doesn't add anymore but glances back from the direction they had come and the strange corrupted villagers they had put to rest

Show

Survival for tracking (1d20+4)[15] Elethielle, (1d20+6)[17] eidolon
    Perception (1d20+6)[14] if needed

Elethielle (Ellie)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No apology needed. Despite the bleak circumstances, perhaps we may still uncover the source of it and quell this town's trouble before more find the same fate?

Once they caught up, he listened to the exhange between his friends and remained vigilant in hope that his words down at the bank were not empty sentiment.
    Aqualith Media

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Watching curiously as Philemon continues picking about for tracks, Artaith grunts her own disagreement. "Each soul in Grimmsgate who avoids this fate is another we saved," she comments, sounding very much like a religious recitation. "We may yet bring peace to those already taken, if their lives are beyond us. Keep heart, Ellie. Our work is Good, and good will come of it."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Philemon searches about carefully for a trail to follow, his expert eye seeking clues as to the farmers whereabouts. With the aid of Elethielle and her bound creature you have no trouble following the tracks south across the fields. The signs indicate a group of three bipedal creatures dragged/ carried the two farmers away. The assailants wore no shoes and had animal-like, pawed feet that curiously display signs of an extra digit ("radial polydactyly").

The trail meanders south, a few other abandoned farmhouses evident out here but the tracks ignoring their presence. At one point there is a mess of dried blood, feathers and cracked bones where it looks like a chicken has been torn apart and eaten, the remnants tossed about carelessly.

The tracks of the group continue south toward the treeline and you've travelled for about half and hour, not far away from the forest when you sense, too late, the hint of movement nearby. There is a worrying twang of bowfire as hooded ambushers shoot at you from cover - two behind an old shed 40ft away and another two opposite behind a dead, bone-dry tree 60ft away catch you in the crossfire. The arrows strike Eponine, one thankfully stopped by her armour but the other a nasty shot hitting her for 5 damage.

Spoiler: environs map
    Show

You are currently near the edge of the forest at point X on the map.

1 square = 1/2 a mile
    Travel speed (@ base 20ft) = 2 miles per hour (4 squares per hour)

You have currently used 2.5 hours of your 8 hour day

Spoiler: info & rolls
    Show
    hidden archer vs Eponine
    bow (1d20+4)[13] damage (1d8+1)[5]

hidden archer vs Eponine
    bow (1d20+4)[12] damage (1d8+1)[3]

Initiative
    Ellie (1d20+2)[18]
    Riaghan (1d20+5)[14]
    Phil (1d20+2)[9]
    Artaith (1d20+1)[6]
    Eponine (1d20+3)[17]
    archer group 1 (1d20+2)[20]
    archer group 2 (1d20+2)[16]

No map for this
    2 archers 40ft to the left
    2 archers 60ft to the right

=> Ellie & Eponine

30. - Top - End - #120

NecromancerGuy

As they follow the trail, Philemon quietly puts to words what he finds, pointing out signs and explaining their meanings. He swallows unhappily at the place where the chicken was killed and eaten before continuing towards the treeline. "We should be careful..." he mutters before the sudden ambush interrupts him! "To arms! Ambush!" he cries, though he reacts slower than his allies since he's been looking to the ground instead of watching for threats...