New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Lands: Grimmsgate IC

Eponine rushes forward with her hammer raised high as Philemon and Elethielle's strange eidolon surround the lone attacker. He braces himself, back to the tree but there's little he can do to defend against three determined attackers. The eidolon strikes, wicked claws slashing for 5 & 3 damage, the man gasping in shock as blood flows freely. Before he can even raise his blade again he collapses, bleeding out for an additional 6 damage.

You are left to gather yourselves, near the edge of the forest where the tracks entered the woods.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Philemon kneels down and in the sudden calm ensure neither attacker will rise again. Then, his grisly work done, the outdoorsman approaches the fallen dwarf priestess. "I've got nothing that can help bring her back to consciousness - I think she can heal, if we can wake her..." He then waits to see if anyone can volunteer some healing magic for Artaith.

If no one has any, he begins scavenging to make a litter to carry her back to the little village, using anything found in the nearby abandoned house as well as any saplings nearby.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think we should go back to the village," Eponine objects uncertainly. "Will any of them even be able to help? And moving her might not be a great idea. As you say, Artaith will be able to heal herself once she comes round. I think we should set up camp here, keep her comfortable, and tend her wounds as best be can. I don't think it will exactly inspire the village's trust in us if we return beaten up and looking for aid so soon."

4. - Top - End - #154

NecromancerGuy

Philemon nods and adjusts his efforts, turning the pallet he was making into the start of a rough tent to keep the elements off Artaith. "If someone can help me wrap this up, I will start scouting around and maybe setting up a couple of trip wires or something to warn us of approaching threats...?" he says, in a mix of a question and statement.

Once done the young woodsman begins ranging about, keeping the campsite in view as he looks for signs of animals or semi-people who might be in the area...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Take 10 (if allowed) on Survival (+5), Perception (+5), and Stealth (+2). The tripwires and such would be with Survival checks, I suppose: (1d20+5)[24], (1d20+5)[20], (1d20+5)[16], (1d20+5)[14], (1d20+5)[17], (1d20+5)[21]

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle looks at the downed bandits and frowns before rifling through their bodies and fallen possessions looking for a clue as to who they were ad why they attacked before rejoining the others. Squatting down she arranges some clothes from Artaith's bags around her to keep her warm and slowly gathers some twigs and the like to make a small fire to keep the dwarf warm.
    "Not the best start to our explorations..." she says wryly as she offers aroud a water skin. "Where do we think we should go next?"

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Shortbow (20) +2 (1d6, x3)
    Reach Longspear (-) +1 (1d8+1, x3)
    Longsword (Cold Iron) +1 (1d8+1, 19-20)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Condition Half Elf: Immune sleep, +2 vs Mind Affecting
    Trait: +1 saves vs Fey

Summon Animal I: 6/6 remaining

Biped Eidolon - Looks like cross between a wolf and a large cat
    HD 1d10 HPs 7/11 BAB +1 Saves 3/4/0 Init +2 Speed 40ft
    AC 16 ( +4 natural, +2 dex)
    Bite +3 (1d6+2), 2 x Claws +3 (1d4+2) +1d6 bleed
    Str 14 Dex 14 Con 13 Int 7 Wis 10 Cha 11
    Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Feats (1): Power attack
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)
    SQ: Darkvision, link, Share spells

Conditions:
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

It is several hours later when Artaith finally stirs. With a heavy groan she turns over, and starts suddenly to consciousness. Finding nothing immediately threatening her life, it's only a few moments after that that her breathing begins to normalize, and another groan- this one distinctly of pain utters forth. "I suppose the Clanhold wasn't quite ready for me. Ugh." She takes another forced breath to steady herself before casting a restorative spell. Intentionally or otherwise, she reverts to the consonant-heavy language of the Dwarves as she raises her voice in divine supplication. "אלוהים מספק בריאות!"

Show
    converting bless into cure light wounds: (1d8+1)[4] HP

Edit: Lol, just enough for positive.
    Spoiler: Artaith, post combat
    Show
    Artaith Forgeheart
    F NG Dwarf Warpriest (Shield bearer), Level 1, Init 1, HP 10/14, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 5, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0
    cleave bonus Dwarven double war axe +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d10+3, x3)
    Spiked steel shield +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d6+3 (+1 TWF), x2)
    Scale mail, Heavy steel shield with spike (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 17, Cha 6
    Condition Iron Within: 1/1
    Cleric spells
    Blessings: 3/3

Rolled a second heal in OOC for 9 more.

After a moment, her breathing seems to normalize, but the groans don't go away. With something like anger in her voice, she calls out the same phrase, imploring the gods for grace once more, "מספק בריאות אלוהים!" Suddenly, the color floods back into her features, and she raises to a seated position. "I see you all managed to take care o' things. We need a potion... or something." She stretches roughly as she rises to her feet, apparently unaware that the decision has largely been made to camp here. Or how late in the day it is.

"So what's next?"

7. - Top - End - #157

NecromancerGuy

"Well, now that you're conscious we should talk about this," says Philemon soberly. "Things weren't this bad when I left - at least, not that I remember anyway. I have no idea how they could have gotten like this, but we're out here on our own and we need a way to pick you up if you go down," he continues, nodding at Artaith. "I'm going to try and catch these things before the ambush next time, but I can't guarantee they won't surprise us, especially as most of you aren't as quiet as me. No offense, of course.

So, a potion? Scroll? Can you make one? Who could use one?
    "

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith frowns. "Never was as good with books and mixing as I am with my hands. I could... probably learn, but it'd take some doing."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Relieved to see Artaith conscious and even speaking again, Riaghan confesses "I am sorry friend, for potentially throwing you off in the fight earlier. Had my blast of water not hit that guy, your swing at him may of not been thrown off... and you may of not got as hurt as you are now... I will... I must do my best to be more cognizant if we find ourselves in another battle."

Riaghan will continue to assist in helping in her recovery, at least as much as to not annoy her. in addition to setting up camp with the others.
    Riaghan Meadowbrook, Lost Lands – Grimmsgate | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Aqualith Media

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Elethielle checks the bodies of the fallen attackers for anything of note. The men look like they've been living rough, probably some sort of miscreant bandits that live off waylaid travelers. They don't have too much on them, aside from minor personal effects and of course their combat gear.

Spoiler: Loot x4
    Show
    studded leather,
    buckler,
    composite longbow (+1 Str) with 20 arrows,
    rapier,
    sap

plus see below

Of more interest is what Philemon stumbles across not too far away as he searches the surrounding area...in the shade of the trees just inside the woods he finds the bandits horses tethered loosely, all happily grazing and looking healthy if in need of a good grooming. There are no saddlebags or anything but they do have basic riding gear.

11. - Top - End - #161

NecromancerGuy

Philemon returns to the party leading the four horses with a matter-of-fact attitude and a satisfied expression. "These may not look like a big deal to all of you from the city, but they're certainly worth it out here," he says as he tethers the animals and ensures they have feed. Then he begins brushing them and working to care for each of them one at a time to ensure they receive better care under him than their late-owners. "Once they're all in better shape I think several of us should enjoy riding them instead of walking about the wilds here..."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith endures Riaghan's attention more than enjoying or appreciating it, but she can recognize effort when she sees it. "I'll be fine, really," she grumbles.

When Philemon returns with horses, she's more than grateful for the diversion. "Aye, it'll make travel much more steady, if not precisely faster. Auspicious find, Phil." She gazes skyward, judging the time of day carefully. "I'm as fit to travel as I was before, but we'll need to be considering camping arrangements soon. Could be worth going back to that hut we found abandoned. Walls and a ceiling are hard to beat."

13. - Top - End - #163

NecromancerGuy

"Auspicious...I'd have said good..." says Philemon to himself as he continues to brush. At the recommendation of using the abandoned farmhouse he pauses. "It might be more comfortable, but it also might be more easily targeted. I'm game, but we should stand a double watch - we've been attacked twice already...I'd like to wake up tomorrow..."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I will happily take a watch," Riaghan volunteers.
    Aqualith Media

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"A roof would be nice though..." Eponine agrees with Artaith, missing her creature comforts after weeks of camping. "I don't mind joining the first watch if you all would like to sleep. I'm not really tired yet."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

ELethielle looks atthe horses and smiles, patting the nearest one. "THey seem well cared for. If we are planning to rest then will one of you help me lay these hapless fools to the ground." she asks. Hoping there is a volunteer to help her dig the graves for the dead bandits so she doesnt have to do it all herself.
    On the topic of a watch she nods, "I can take and early or a late one, my pet here has excellent vision in the dark."

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0

Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)

Conditions:

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith grunts, but dutifully assists Elethielle in digging a simple grave. As it becomes apparent that the group is at least willing to rest in the abandoned farmhouse, her mood improves somewhat. Even so, she isn't quite smiling as they begin the trek back to their temporary shelter.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Once you've gathered yourselves and buried the bodies you mount up on your new horses, one of you taking a turn to walk alongside. Turning back from the forest edge you retrace your tracks back through the overgrown fields towards the abandoned farmhouse. The trip is quick and uneventful, you arrive there within half an hour.

Wondering what the night may bring you look around confirming that the rickety gate to the yard can be drawn to in order to corral the horses, or you can secure them in an outbuilding. The hut itself is quite basic but has a small fireplace which should keep you warm and aid in a warm meal.

As you dismount and observe the area, Artaith Philemon & Riaghan your attention is drawn by a scuffle and a loud thump from the kennel followed by silence...there's definitely something hiding in there.

19. - Top - End - #169

NecromancerGuy

Philemon walks back, helping the less capable members of the party manage their horses and keeping an eye open for tracks and other signs he may have missed on the way back. He closes the gate and secures the horses, stating simply, "No point letting someone sneak up and open the gate to let the horses out overnight..." The vegetarian gets out some some mushrooms and onions for dinner, offering to share freely with anyone who asks.

When the noise from the kennel is heard he holds up a single finger to his lips, looking intently at everyone and obviously hinting at them being silent and quiet. Then he creeps over to try and listen to see what is there...

Show
    Stealth (1d20+2)[15], Perception (1d20+5)[8]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith marches along stoically, not eager to either trust the horses nor burden them with her weight. She begins to unpack her gear as Philemon tethers the horses in the unkept yard. She jumps when the creature in the stables makes a sudden sound, and immediately readies her axe and shield.

As Philemon prowls forward, she snorts brusquely. "Pretty sure it already saw us- at least heard us," she grumbles- fairly quietly. Quite contrary to Philemon's desires, she suddenly raises her voice. "Oy! You in the kennel, there! We ain't here to hurt anybody. Come on out, so we can talk face to face, eh?" Her blade and shield remain in hand, but both are lowered- fairly unthreateningly.

21. - Top - End - #171

NecromancerGuy

Phil makes an exasperated sound and turns briefly to look at Artaith in annoyance. "Can't hear them at all with you being so loud!" he hisses in a stage-whisper, making clear that he was hoping to hear the potential-threat as much as surprise them...

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

At Philemon's request, Riaghan stops his stride, gripping his staff, listening intently for further movement. To be on the safe side, he closes his eyes briefly and whispers, 'Detect magic', focusing on the kennel in the approximate area they heard the noise.
    Aqualith Media

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

At the nod to the kettle ELethielle scans the area and moves slowly following Philemon at a safe distance. Her hand pets the eidolon's bloodied fur and she waits patiently. A whispered "A minute little one, you can hunt if its dangerous" as she watches the kennel cautiously.

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Philemon & Artaith approach the suspicious hiding spot, each with their own diverging tactical preference. Elethielle stands back with her eidolon and with Eponine, ready for whatever may eventuate. Next to them Riaghan casts a spell, searching for magical sources and finding none.

You all share a glance and a nod, not quite sure what might come next. There's another thud, a scuffle, and then finally having given up on whatever they trying, a couple of wretched folk burst forth clumsily from the small shed, mad eyes blinking in the setting sunlight as almost tripping over each other as they grasp forward with their twisted clawed hands...

...their ferocity and recklessness catching all off-guard as Philemon is clawed for 3 damage the other facing off against Artaith, the insane once-were-humans like feral beasts spitting and clawing in a ravenous frenzy.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    no surprise round
    initiative
    Riaghan (1d20+5)[9]
    Elle (1d20+2)[14]
    Phil (1d20+2)[18]
    Artaith (1d20+1)[13]
    Eponine (1d20+3)[18]
    Cursed folk (1d20)[19]

cursed folk vs Philemon (flat-footed)
    claw (1d20+1)[16] damage (1d6+2)[3]

cursed folk vs Artaith
    intimidate/ demoralise (1d20-4)[10] fail

=> Party

25. - Top - End - #175

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Philemon's Statistics
    Show
    Philemon Cooper
    Male Neutral Good Human Ranger (Skirmisher/Guide), Level 1, Init 2, HP 10/13, Speed 30 ft.
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Greatsword +3 (2d6+7, 19-20/x2)
    Scale Mail (+5 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition
    Power Attack

Phil grunts as the claws hit but wastes no time whipping out his greatsword and responding to the attack in kind. "Get them! Quickly!"

Show
    Draw his sword, activate Power Attack and attack! (1d20+3)[7] to hit, (1d20+3)[8] (19-20/x2), (2d6+7)[16] slashing damage, (2d6+7)[14] critical strike damage.

If an enemy incurs an AoO: (1d20+3)[14] to hit, (1d20+3)[11] (19-20/x2), (2d6+7)[13] slashing damage, (2d6+7)[17] critical strike damage.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith only grunts at the display. "You ain't nearly so scary as you think, fella." With an expression equal parts resignation and duty, she lumbers to the fore, axe and shield gleaming in the deepening dusk light.

Spoiler: Artaith, round 1
    Show
    Artaith Forgeheart
    F NG Dwarf Warpriest (Shield bearer), Level 1, Init 1, HP 10/14, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 5, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0
    cleave bonus Dwarven double war axe +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d10+3, x3)
    Spiked steel shield +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d6+3 (+1 TWF), x2)
    Scale mail, Heavy steel shield with spike (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 17, Cha 6
    Condition Iron Within: 1/1
    Cleric spells
    Blessings: 3/3

I'll mechanically charge, assuming I'm able:

(1d20+5)[8] war axe
    (1d20+5)[11] CC (x3)
    (1d10+3)[4] damage
    (2d10+6)[13] crit bonus

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Eponine quickly raises her bow, an arrow at the nearest mad thing!
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+5)[19] (1d6)[4]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Philemon and Artaith raise their weapons, although unable to land solid hits as the frenzied things flail at them.

Eponine has a clearer shot, quickly taking aim and loosing an arrow into the fray catching one of the cursed folk square in the side for 4 damage.

=> Elethielle & Riaghan

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle looks on in horror as the two mad feral creatures, once people, burst out and attack them. She releases the Eidolon into its attack and for her part steps in a little jabbing with her spear trying to trip it up and help her eidolon

Show

Elethielle move forward and "aid another" from a distance to give eidolon +2 to hit (1d20+1)[6] vs DC 10

Eidolon - charge the nearest one (An additional +2 to hit if Elethielle can assist)
    bite (1d20+5)[6] dam (1d6+2)[5]
    claws (1d20+5)[22] dam (1d4+2)[4] + (1d6)[1] bleed
    claws (1d20+5)[12] dam (1d4+2)[6] + (1d6)[4] bleed

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riaghan waves his hand over the stone atop his staff and stretches his hand out, launching a blast of water towards the other bestial figure in hopes of slowing them down for the others to attack.

Spoiler: combat stats
    Show

TL;DR cast water blast 3 of 5 for the day. DC 13

Riaghan Meadowbrook Male NG Undine Seaborn Sorcerer (Evoker, Hydromancer), CL1, Init 5 (Improved), HP 8/8, Land/Swim 30 ft.
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 11, Fort 1, Ref 1, Will 3, CMB +4, BAB 1
    Quarterstaff +0 Close (1d6 x2 B), Dagger +0 10ft (1d4 19–20/×2 P or S), Sling +1 50ft (1d4 x2 B)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 15
    Languages Westerling, Aquan, High Boros
    Traits Native Outsider, No Swim rolls needed (class skill), Darkvision 60ft, Spell-like Hydraulic Push 1/d (caster level=CL, Marid's Fury), Water Sense, Hydrated Vitality (submergence gains fast heal 2 for 1 rnd; 2 pts/level/d), Planar Historian (Plane of Water) +2 planes check to identify H2O outsiders; caster +1 summon H2O outsiders, Helpful/Meticulous: -2 on untrained skill checks (+1 on trained)
    Feats/Special Abilities Eschew Materials (bonus feat: Sorcerer): materials schmerials! Up to 1gp; Improved Initiative (1st level): +4 to initiative; Marid’s Fury (Undine racial trait): allows hydraulic push to extinguish magical fires; Hydraulic Push spell-like ability (1/d per level): h2O blast CMB bull rush (caster+CHA); rng 25ft + 5 ft / 2 levels; Water Sense (undine): blindsense 30ft vs. creatures sharing same water; Water Blast (Su, Seaborn): https://aonprd.com/WildbloodedDispla...dName=Seaborn; Concentration check: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Magic/#TOC-Concentration
    Spells daze, detect magic, drench, mage hand, marid's mastery (0/2), wave shield (0/2)
    Aqualith Media